Driver fix for CrossFire + Eyefinity/4K frame pacing issues coming this fall

I just spoke with Raja Koduri, the new head of graphics hardware and software development at AMD, who recently returned to the company after some time away. Koduri, incidentally, spearheaded the development of the original CrossFire implementation way back when.

In our talk, Koduri acknowledged that the frame delivery issues with CrossFire were “unfortunate,” and he expressed a desire to make things right. Koduri told me AMD is working on a fix for CrossFire and single-large-surface display configurations, like Eyefinity and tiled 4K monitors, for current Radeon graphics cards. He said AMD plans to deliver a driver with the fix this fall.

AMD’s newest Radeon GPU, the “Hawaii” chip that will power the Radeon R9 290 and 290X cards announced earlier today, will of course be a top priority, as well. Although we can’t yet divulge too many details, we expect Hawaii-based graphics cards to arrive with a very capable solution for CrossFire frame compositing and pacing already in place.

Some of the new Radeon cards announced today that are based on older GPUs like Tahiti and Pitcairn will presumably have to wait for the fall driver release in order to see this issue resolved.

The good news is that AMD appears to be very much aware of the importance of resolving CrossFire frame delivery problems, and they seem to be confident that a satisfactory fix is possible within a relatively compact time frame.

• kamikaziechameleon

Crossfire needs a complete redesign. The bridge is inadequate. They need to create a new standard.

• WillBach

That may be happening: [url=http://semiaccurate.com/2013/09/25/amd-hawaii-cards-pictures<]AMD Hawaii cards in pictures | SemiAccurate - AMD Hawaii card (lack of) Crossfire connector[/url<]

• beck2448

They stopped making the 7990. Never worked properly, but they marketed it like it was the best.

• jazper

I have not had one issue with it.. I am running single monitor, but I’m happy

• oldDummy

“… plans to deliver a driver with the fix this fall.”

I plan on being 100 years old; Not likely.

Here’s hoping. Wish them well.

• tbone8ty

What’s up with no crossfire bridges on the R9-290x???

It look like a final PCB design to me

• Great_Big_Abyss

Crossfire will function through the PCI bus. No need for crossfire fingers or connectors. Expect a PCI-e 3.0 motherboard to be a necessity to run two or more of these cards in crossfire.

• Bensam123

YES! Now I can play on my 4k monitor with my crossfire setup!

• chuckula

AT 240HZ!!

• Meadows

With 40% more bezels!

• Mr. Eco

I am planning on Eyefinity setup, three 4K monitors 🙂

• Alexko

Should be fun, but you may have trouble playing recent games (if you’re serious).

• Bensam123

I hope nothing in here is serious. XD

• anotherengineer

If I had your money I’d burn mine 😉

• ermo

Uh, ok.

Fall ends, what, [s<]November 30th[/s<] December 21st? My guess is we'll see something around that date. Truth be told, I'd be somewhat surprised if AMD lands anything sooner than that. EDIT: Apparently, you North Americans use a different definition of the seasons than us Scandinavians.

• anotherengineer

Well technically the first day of winter in North America is December 21st 😉

• ermo

Where I live (Scandinavia), fall is traditionally held to last from from September 1st to November 30th. Winter is from December 1st to February 28/29th.

To me (and this may be culturally biased) it seems a bit weird that the first day of winter in North America coincides with the winter solstice — i.e. that winter starts on the shortest day of the year? However, it turns out that you appear to use the Astronomical definition of fall — from the Autumnal Equinox to Winter Solstice.

Good to know.

• glynor

The US doesn’t have a “colloquially defined” fall season, at least not one that is commonly used throughout the country, and the the astronomical dates would probably be more well known if you are going to quote an actual date.

But that likely comes from the fact that the US is [i<]pretty darn big[/i<] and spans a continent. Even if you only consider the contiguous states (ignoring Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and other far-flung states and territories) there is quite a difference in "seasons" between Death Valley and Caribou, Maine or San Antonio, Texas and Grand Forks, North Dakota. I'd think you [i<]would[/i<] be able to define a traditional "fall season" across most Scandinavian countries, but it is a bit more challenging here to have a commonly accepted consensus, country-wide (perhaps more locally, certainly). That said, it isn't universally true. Many people would probably define "summer" as from Memorial Day to Labor Day, which has as much to do with the traditional school-year calendar as anything else. But there aren't (to my knowledge) any generally agreed upon or well known other seasonal dates other than the astronomical ones. They're what's on calendars here, anyway.

• anotherengineer

Yeppers, and if you were in Australia, Dec 1st would be the first day of summer.

However in all reality winter here in northern Ontario Canada is about November to about April ;(

• JustAnEngineer

Along the gulf coast, it would be stretching things to call December 1 through February 28 “winter”.
            [url<]http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/historical_fl.html[/url<]

• shank15217

Yea the use also has 6 time zones and about 100 times the size, I don’t think a single set of dates makes much sense for the US so its just based on astronomical time lines of winter and summer solstice and spring and fall equinox.

• chuckula

What’s up with those idiot North Americans basing their seasons on the equinoxes and solstices! Why can’t they adopt the metric system like everyone else!?!?!

• anotherengineer

Last time I checked we do use the metric system here in Canada. Or was that a very poor trolling attempt?

• shank15217

the tropics have only 2 seasons, wet and less wet

• Prestige Worldwide

Scumbag AMD

Fixes broken GPU line

Makes it obsolete by releasing new GPU line

• Eggrenade

Scumbag AMD

Releases new GPU line

Still fixes old line as to not force people to upgrade

• Prestige Worldwide

Hmm… touché

• Prestige Worldwide

But technically you should have said Good Guy AMD.

+1 anyway

• cynan

The caveat to this is that most of this “new” GPU line is, in fact, their old GPU line. But as a Tahiti GPU owner, I’m not complaining.

• ronch

I hope it’s not another beta…

• wingless

Here’s to hoping the R9 cards have a hardware fix for frame pacing built in!

• HisDivineOrder

Somehow, given that they determined the problem this year after a lot of consternation and doubt, I’d say… highly unlikely they then built frame pacing into the card’s hardware with some kind of fixed function unit.

Perhaps they’re using something programmable, but that would be a “software fix,” right?

If they fix it and it doesn’t cost performance (or hell improves performance), I don’t really care HOW they do it. It’s just they need to fix it universally, not patch it game by game. I don’t trust their ability or commitment to patching every game individually to fix this issue.

• jazper

Why bother with a hardware fix when a software fix will work?

• Wildchild

Never thought I’d see TR post an article this late and it’s good news too!

• Dygear

Yeah, they normally do things like sleeping. I normally do things like read all of the articles they put out today at this time. I guess that’s because he is on Hawaii time?

• the

It helps that Hawaii is in an earlier time zone.

• JustAnEngineer

What direction does [b<]your[/b<] planet spin?

• gigafinger