Lenovo intros 8” Win8.1 slate with Bay Trail inside

PC makers are announcing 8" Windows 8.1 tablets left and right. The latest one to hop on the bandwagon is Lenovo, whose new Miix2 slate couples an 8" IPS screen with one of Intel’s new Bay Trail Atom processors for $299.

Now, don’t get too excited: that IPS screen has a resolution of just 1280×800. Even with Windows’ ClearType mojo smoothing out fonts, that kind of pixel density (189 PPI, by my count) pales in comparison to what’s available in the Android and iOS camps.

Lackluster resolution aside, the Miix2 doesn’t sound badly equipped. It has a quad-core Bay Trail-T chip, up to 128GB of eMMC solid-state storage (though Lenovo says nothing of the base storage config), room for an extra 32GB of storage via a microSD slot, and two cameras (five megapixels at the back, two megapixels at the front). Lenovo will offer an optional stylus and detachable cover, as well. The cover protects the screen and, in SmartCover fashion, "doubles as a stand for viewing content on the device."

Lenovo’s press release says the Miix2 weighs "a mere 350 mg," which sounds pretty light. Actually, it sounds impossibly light, since 350 mg is about the weight of a regular-strength Tylenol. More likely, the Miix2 tips the scales at 350 g, which is equivalent to 12.3 ounces—about an ounce and a half heavier than the 7" Kindle Fire HDX. The Miix2 is a little thinner than the Amazon tablet, though, at 0.33" vs. 0.35".

Look for the Miix2 in stores (or at least on Lenovo’s website) "later this month." Windows 8.1 comes out tomorrow, so I figure we might even see a listing as early as this week.

• frogg

“that kind of pixel density (189 PPI, by my count) pales in comparison to what’s available in the Android and iOS camps”

And so what, if i have to magnify everything what’s the point ?

• HisDivineOrder

This is almost ideal for me. I’m waiting for Microsoft and Intel to realize they have to let those resolutions get up to iPad/Android levels, meaning they need to cut their pricing so OEM’s can have these devices fly.

Until they do that, I’ll keep waiting.

• GeneS

Waiting for dpaus to whine that it doesn’t have 64 GBytes of RAM in 5, 4, 3….

• MadManOriginal

I think 8-9″ is the perfect size for a tablet. It’s larger enough than a ~4.7″ smartphone to be meaningful, while still being easily portable compared to a 10″ tablet and useful for home use at the same time. The larger screen size may mean that solid a one-handed grip on both edges isn’t as easy as a 7″ tablet in portrait mode but you can still hold it reasonably enough with one hand. Super slim bezels on the long sides in portrait mode could make 8″ tablets the new 7″…a physically larger screen is always nice.

As for this tablet in particular, while the screen resolution is pretty 2012, the price for the components other than the screen is pretty awesome. I will likely eventually get an x86 tablet to have maximum flexibility and I can see it being fun while curled up on the couch for a lot of old-school turn-based strategy or RPG games that don’t take tons of CPU or graphics power. Maybe Airmont will be the tipping point…

• phileasfogg

>>>>> Lenovo’s press release says the Miix2 weighs “a mere 350 mg,”…

Hopefully that’s just a typo. Else, Lenovo’s getting into the pharmaceuticals business with this ‘tablet’ 😉

• jstern

I pre ordered the Surface Pro 2. There’s just so much that I can do with a Windows 8 tablet.

People seem to be missing the point about my post.
    Windows is not power-efficient compared the competition which is the ipad (iOS) and the Nexus (Android) tablets. Yes, I know Windows8 is [b<]much better[/b<] for mobile devices than ever before, but here's how it works in the real world: You can browse the web on a Nexus7 solidly for 12.5 REAL hours. You can watch 720p movies on an iPad4 solidly for 13.5 REAL hours. Standby times on both approach [i<]a week[/i<] (Anandtech N7-2013 review) I have used Atom-powered tablets with "claimed" 8h battery life. That's 8h of light use, 4h of movies, or 3h of gaming. Like laptops with "claimed" all day battery life, you'll be lucky to get five solid hours of actual use out of them in the real world. Hey, I'd love to be wrong, but x86 slates/tablets/convertibles just aren't in the same league as iOS/Android based on my recent experience with the Surface Pro, the Iconia W3 with its claimed "up to 8h" battery and my very own Transformer Prime which is "up to 12h" without the dock.

• ludi

And yet, my Android phone runs a Linux variant. Just like some datacenters.

But our Android phones don’t actually run datacenter GUIs or all the associated datacenter services do they?

THAT is my point.

• MadManOriginal

blah blah Windows 8 bad blah blah

• Sagia

So you assume that windows 8.1 run datacenter application/services by default?

• torquer

What the hell is a datacenter GUI on Linux?

If you saw an Android phone running some manner of webserver or otherwise in the background would you still be going all OMG DATACENTER OMG BATTERY?

Seriously Windows 8 may run what appear to be many of the same processes but I can assure you my Surface Pro is not running IIS or Exchange.

• oldog

“W8 is a battery hog…”

Might want to look at this.

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/7417/sony-vaio-pro-13-exceptionally-portable/4[/url<]

Compared to W7 yes, W8 is much much better with power management.

This [b<]*isn't*[/b<] competing against W7 laptops though, it's competing against Transformers running Android and iPads on iOS. Windows 8 is a greedy battery killer compared to those two.

• torquer

lolwut?

First of all almost every independent review shows W8 to actually have better power management than Windows 7, so I don’t know where you’re getting your facts.

Also, do you honestly think Windows 8 is the same as Windows Server 2012 Datacenter? Windows versions share the same core kernel on x86. That does not mean its the same OS. Thats like saying because Android and Ubuntu share the same basic Linux kernel that they’re the same. They’re not. Not even close.

Might be time to change your Bill Gates Borg wallpaper there, chief. Microsoft (or would you prefer M$) hating is passe.

• Klimax

This is extremely wrong post. None of it is true. Not even remotely(aka in this universe).

• sschaem

If this thing is under <$350 with the stylus option (I assume of comparable quality to the MS surface), then this will be my first tablet! couldn’t get myself to by a $900 surface… but this!!!

Its like Lenovo designed this thing just for me 🙂
    (Yes, I’m actually fine with 1280×800 on an 8inch IPS screen)

edit: I guess my wait for a tablet will be on going…

” Lenovo has informed ZDNet that the stylus/pen that comes with the optional $20 smart cover is capacitive (for working with touch screens) and does not use an active digitizer”

• ET3D

The Dell Venue 8 Pro has an active stylus. It’s pretty much the same specs as the Miix 2 except it’s 50g heavier.

• jimbo75
      • NeelyCam

Knowing Bay Trail was coming out, don’t you think you should’ve waited just a little bit…?

• jimbo75
          • chuckula

[quote<]I don't anticipate a major head injury before the end of the year[/quote<] LMFTFY: [quote<]I don't anticipate a[b<]nother[/b<] major head injury before the end of the year[/quote<]