This week in our bargain-hunting post, we have a mix of hardware deals and some the hottest games from Valve's ongoing Steam Holiday Sale. Let's start with the hardware:
- Crucial's M500 960GB solid-state drive is down to $489.99 at Newegg. That works out to 51 cents per gig, which is, well, about as cheap as it gets for SSDs nowadays. This drive earned our TR Recommended award when we reviewed it earlier this month.
- Intel's Core i7-4770K processor is on sale for $299.99. This is the fastest member of Intel's Haswell desktop family, and it's priced to match—but at $300, it's actually around 10-12% cheaper than usual. Just because you want the best doesn't mean you have to pay full price, right?
- Asus' VN248H-P 23.8" IPS monitor is $159.99 after a $20 promo code (EMCWVVN42) and a $20 mail-in rebate. This puppy has a 1920x1080 resolution, a "super narrow" bezel, an HDMI input (no DVI, though), and of course, an IPS panel with 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles. Customer reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, as well.
Now, on to the games. I thought Valve was running out of titles to put on sale, but clearly, they aren't. Today's discounted games include:
- Orcs Must Die! 2 for $3.74.
- Hitman: Absolution for $4.99.
- Portal 2 for $4.99.
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edition for $4.99.
- Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon for $5.09.
- LEGO Lord of the Rings for $7.49.
- Resident Evil 6 for $11.99.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II for $29.99.
- Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag for $44.99.
Not bad—especially the new Assassin's Creed.
We'll wrap things up, as always, with a shout-out to our Canadian readers—and an invitation for them to check out NCIX's Boxing Week Sale Event. (I guess Boxing Day lasts a whole week now.) Deals include a 240GB Seagate 600 solid-state drive for $139.99 CAD and an XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB for a cool $139.99 CAD, as well as many others.