The Obsidian Series 250D is Corsair’s first Mini-ITX case

Some of our favorite PC enclosures come from Corsair’s Obsidian Series, so we were pleased to learn that the company has been working on a Mini-ITX addition to the family. The Obsidian Series 250D made its formal debut at CES this morning, and it looks very nice indeed.

The case resembles a cut-down version of the Obsidian Series 350D, which is designed for larger microATX motherboards. The 250D is still a little on the portly side, though. With 11.4″ x 10.9″ x 13.8″ dimensions, the case is only a little bit smaller than the BitFenix Prodigy. There are plenty of Mini-ITX enclosures with smaller footprints and lower profiles.

Of course, the 250D is meant to host more powerful hardware than typical Mini-ITX builds. It has room for double-wide graphics cards up to 11.4″ long and ATX PSUs up to 7.9″ long. The case can accommodate a pair of liquid coolers, too. There’s room for a 120- or 140-mm radiator up front and a 120- or 240-mm unit on the side. The 250D has five fan mounts in total, two of which are occupied by high-airflow spinners of Corsair’s own design.

Corsair tucks the PSU and the bulk of the storage under the motherboard. A pair of tool-free bays is equipped to house either 3.5″ or 2.5″ drives, while a second pair is limited to 2.5″ models. Those bays live in a removable module that conveniently slides out the back fo the case. Up top, there’s a full-sized 5.25″ bay for optical drives, fan controllers, and the like.

The Obsidian Series 250D looks particularly good from the outside. I love the brushed aluminum front panel and overall aesthetic, and the windowed top panel is a nice touch. Speaking of nice touches, the case has thumbscrews for the side panels and expansion slots, internal tie-down points for cabling, and removable dust filters for the front, side, and PSU venting. Front-panel USB 3.0 and analog audio jacks are included, of course.

Enthusiasts will be able to get their hands on the 250D later this month, and they won’t have to pay too much for it. Corsair has set the asking price at just $90. We’ll have a full review of the 250D soon, but until then, you can check out some additional pictures in the gallery below.

• vshade

I would love that you guys also put the size in centimeters on things, it is so much easier than doing the multplications.

• madmilk

Personally, I’d like to see a case that has just enough space for:

mini-ITX motherboard with stock Intel cooler, or even better, a custom, flat blower design
    12″ graphics card
    1x 3.5″ hard drive
    SFX PSU

No 5.25″ bays and no unnecessary fan or radiator mounts. Use the motherboard mSATA slot for SSD and rely on well-placed vents and the CPU/GPU/PSU fans to intake and exhaust directly to the outside. Passively cool the hard drive.

As for component placement: put the GPU (300x100x25) on a riser and stack the hard drive (100x150x25) against the backside. The SFX PSU (125x100x50) goes in front of the motherboard (170×170). Bonus points if the final product fits in 8 liters, and has a VESA mount.

• internetsandman

Looking at your basic desires, what you want is a taller FT03. You’re not gonna get a 12″ graphics card compatible case with a VESA mount though, no matter what form factor you have it in (unless you got really insane with custom modding)

• moose17145

Everyone thinks this is too big?!? And here I just ordered an Obsidian 900D yesterday! LOL!

• ALiLPinkMonster

Geez. What are you putting into that monstrosity?

• moose17145

Any dang thing I feel like! 🙂

• f0d

i have a 900D and its the best case i have ever had or seen
      you just have to be careful of putting hard drives in the lower section – there isnt much room for the actual cabling

i have full custom watercooling (with huge sized stuff like 38mm fans 60mm rad and 400mm reservoir) 9 hard drives (in the lower section) and sli and i still have loads of room – its a freakin awesome case

its just a shame that TR never had a review of it 🙁

• moose17145

This case is basically my present to myself. I have never had a SERIOUSLY nice case where I didnt feel cramped trying to squeeze a bunch of hard drives and huge videocards or whatever in there without the video card running into the back of the hard drives, or not having enough drive bays, or etc etc etc…

I had just recently purchased a r9 290 for 400 bucks before black friday and then turned around and sold my 7970 on ebay for 513 dollars after their price sky rocketed (not bad considering I only paid 355 for it new LOL!), so I used the money I made on ebay on getting myself a nice, no holds, no compromises (well other than portability maybe), truly top of the line computer case. I am hoping it does not disappoint me.

I also grabbed a 3TB WD Red as well. Planning on getting a few more as more money becomes available to make a nice Raid 5 array for all my movies and music. After all… I am about to have a case that can handle more than enough drives!

• MadManOriginal

So a key to this really looking nice is whether the optical bay cover is a stealth cover or not. If not, it would ruin the aesthetic of the front panel.

• Sargent Duck

I like the design concept. I prefer my computer cases to be as “black and boring as possible” so that they look like they belong in my living room (since my media box resides right beside my receiver and underneath my tv). That being said, I have no need for the water cooling bits, so if they took that out to make the box just that much smaller, it’d be great.

• Airmantharp

I’m not getting all of these comments asserting that mITX systems must be HTPC-style form factors resembling an AV receiver. I think that the 250D is a pretty efficient use of space assuming that you want a high-end GPU and very high-end CPU and CPU cooling, along with a full-size optical/other bay and plenty of storage drive bays and accommodation for a full-size PSU.

• f0d

exactly
      there are plenty of other mitx cases if you want the “av receiver” look but what corsair has done here is fill a niche that no other case manufacturer has done and that is the full fat (itx) gaming system with watercooling in a mini case which i dont think has been done before

if i was building an itx system i would use one of these as i watercool everything nowdays

• ALiLPinkMonster

idk, you have a point but it just seems like cases like this aren’t significantly smaller than comparable mATX cases. Those boards tend to be a little cheaper with more features and/or expansion slots. I guess if you’re hellbent on a cube which an mATX board doesn’t quite fit in. I just couldn’t bring myself to make that sacrifice at this size just to have a (rather large) cube. To each his own, though.

• slowriot

I don’t think everyone is asserting that an mITX case must look like an AV receiver. It however must be small. This case isn’t small for an mATX case, let alone a mITX one. You can get all those features you mentioned plus mATX motherboard capability in other cases that are of similar size and price. This case eliminates all the benefits of mITX.

• internetsandman

This is probably the best explanation as to why this case is self-defeating in it’s intended purpose

• SetzerG

I don’t think most people want HTPC form factors. The problem is, most mITX systems are big enough that they could’ve been engineered to fit mATX motherboards. Everything is about how many liters the case is. You want to see how cases like this are done right, then check the NCASE M1 or Windy Alcyon DX700. The Windy is large, but much better designed. The NCASE is probably 1/3 of the size of the Corsair 250D, but can hold even larger graphics cards – the Corsair just has an insane amount of wasted space.

• f0d

can those other cases hold a 240mm rad?
        (im asking because i honestly dont know)

• internetsandman

The benefits of a 240mm AIO cooler are either brilliant temps or brilliant noise levels (or a combination of both) but if you’re building an ITX rig, 9/10 times you’re gonna be using an Intel CPU, and the highest end CPU that fits in any ITX board available today is the 4770K, which is fairly power efficient as is and doesn’t need that level of cooling, so the point about holding 240mm radiators is moot. Hell, a Noctua NH-C12 would provide sufficient cooling, and you could squeeze a 4770K and a 780 Ti into a Silverstone SG08, or get a slightly shorter graphics card and you can get the FT03 with a slim 120mm radiator, and again wind up with damn near identical levels of performance.

Performance per mm^2 is a good way of looking at high end ITX rigs and cases

• f0d

you forgot overclocking
            and yes i have made matx pc’s that overclock/watercooled and i would do a mitx if i could
            heck i overclocked my phone – i overclock everything (just for enthusiast reasons – just like how people put turbos and cams and do up engines for cars)

i know it is a niche thing and not everyone does it but there some people out there that do and this case is for them imo

there are plenty of other “sane” choices for normal computers out there

• internetsandman

I would feel confident overclocking a 4770k on an ITX board under an NH-C14. You’re not likely to set any records on an ITX board, nor output enough heat to make the chip uncomfortable under modest air cooling. My 4.5GHz 2770k (I think that’s the SKU, sandy bridge hyper threaded unlocked model) barely reaches 50 degrees under load, using a corsair H80 If you were on a higher end mATX or full ATX board however, then you would have a point

• f0d

could you fit a NH-C14 in any other mitx case?
            thats why this one is so good because you can fit those huge heatsinks in there (and watercooling) my matx case doesnt even fit that cooler or watercooling (as standard – i dremeled away at it so i could fit watercooling in it)

either way i still think this case has a place with the enthusiast watercooler that wants a nice mitx case with plenty of room – there are a few people here in these comments that like it and the tech report community is more of the standard type of pc community instead of the more enthusiast type of community like extremesystems or overclockers.com.au is

if i was after a mitx case having the ability to watercool and load it up with huge graphics cards is defintely a plus for me

but yes for most people they would be better off with a brix pc or nuc if they want a small pc

• SetzerG

140mm is the largest I know that works without modification. Honestly, if you are going for a 240mm radiator, why not just go mATX? Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of the mITX form factor. There’s mATX cases much smaller than the 250D.

Sigh….

Another catastrophic failure to understand that mITX is about [b<]making computers compact[/b<]; mITX is massively compromised compared to even mATX [i<]just so that it can be squeezed into tiny enclosures[/i<]. At least make it [i<]slim[/i<] so that it can fit in the under-TV units where set-top boxes and consoles usually live....

• deathBOB

Agreed. I don’t see how this kind of box form factor helps anyone.

• DPete27

Yeah…too big. Of course that’s no surprise after the mATX 350D was almost as big as most ATX cases.

I’ve just noticed the 5.25″ optical bay. This thing is SUPER WIDE and the width is its smallest dimension

/facepalm.

I think [url=http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/196405/3/dell_precision_t1700.jpg<]one of the Dells at work[/url<] which is around a quarter the size of this by volume. Dell can squeeze four power supplies, four graphics cards, four motherboards and eight drives into something approximately the same size as this. Now, [i<]that[/i<] is a machine I would buy! 😉

• Airmantharp

The height is GPU + PSU.
          The width is GPU + motherboard + CPU cooler.
          The length is GPU + front fascia.

If you were to sacrifice cooling, large GPU compatibility, and accommodation for a full-size PSU, you could shrink the size considerably- but then you’d have defeated the purpose of a gaming/enthusiast-oriented enclosure.

Exactly!
            mITX is not a gaming/enthusiast-oriented form factor.

• ALiLPinkMonster

It can be. I think with this whole Steam Machine thing, we’ll start seeing more manufacturers offering graphics cards and power supplies geared towards smaller ITX cases that aren’t nearly this enormous.

• f0d

why cant it be?

• MadManOriginal

Why not? It’s got a slot for a GPU and there are reasonably capable overclocking mITX boards. The only downside is socket location on the motherboard for large air coolers, but some boards now have that done reasonably well too.

• Airmantharp

Throw me in the lot with the three guys above.

If I want small, I’ll get a NUC or BRIX or something similar. But this 250D seems to work quite well, and Corsair is definitely showing it off properly. It looks like you could even- possibly- put a water-cooled GPU in, and it looks like it might handle a top-end open-air cooled GPU, particularly a shiny custom-cooled R9 290, or possibly a GTX780Ti if a variant with more VRAM arrives.

I guess I’m unusual in wanting an enthusiast build to have more than one expansion slot and more than two sticks of RAM.

If that’s all you want then I guess you can watercool a high-end GPU in such a box, but you can do that in plenty of similarly-sized mATX cases too. Meh.

• Bauxite

ITX is what the buyers of the product want it to be, not what armchair internet pundits demand it be.

Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. The market will decide if enough people want this case for it to be successful.

For the record I have both a super slim thin itx fanless system powered by DC bricks and toaster ITX cases with full PSU, double wide GPU and more. The latter did not cost more than an ATX build which would not have extra expansion cards, and I use both for different things.

This is the point of DIY, not “one idea fits all”.

• ALiLPinkMonster

It’s pretty though… but yeah, might as well get a Prodigy M and keep the extra expansion slots.

I hope Corsair gets into the Steam Machine-class ITX case business. They make excellent cases, but they seem to be intent on surrounding the components with as much empty space as possible which (like you said) ruins the point of ITX.

• tone21705

How many HDDs can this fit?

• albundy

looks like 1 hdd, or 1 hdd and 1 ssd maybe?

• Flatland_Spider

For the volume of the case:
      11.4″ * 10.9″ * 13.8″ = 1,714.780″^3

For the volume of a Western Digital WD1003FZEX 3.5″ hard drive:
      1.028″ * 5.787″ * 4.00″ = 23.796″^3

Thus:
      1,714.780″^3 / 23.796″^3 = 72.062 3.5″ hard drives

Taking the floor of that… Wait, you meant in the bays didn’t you.

4 (http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-250d-mini-itx-pc-case.html)

• Srsly_Bro

I’ll stick with my Lian Li case in the living room. This ugly thing wouldn’t even fit in my TV stand. The insides are pretty, and that’s about it. This would be a good PC for the closet out of the sight of guests.

• Xenolith

Too big.

• tviceman

Still too big for a mini-ITX case. The PSU can be on the same plane with the motherboard without sacrificing cooling. These case makers are not getting creative at all.

• internetsandman

I was thinking the same thing. If you’re allowing all this space for liquid coolers, why do you need to make the case bigger, as if air coolers would still be favored

• Metonymy

I don’t dislike this case, and it looks well-made, but there’s something slightly out-of-kilter, for lack of any other way to put it. Maybe it’s just that the Obsidian aesthetic looks strange at this size.

• zdw

This looks like someone shrunk a Cooler Master HAF-XB horizontally:

[url<]http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10020[/url<] Interesting concept though.

Hmm. This would be the case that made me think of mITX in a realistic way. It’ll actually hold everything that’s in my case, other than the motherboard and Hyper 212 Evo. It’d be a very expensive “sidegrade” though. A case, a Z77 mobo, a new cooler…

• Waco

That looks like an H100i in the press shot…DO WANT.

• HisDivineOrder

Too bad they aren’t thinking more like Valve did with their Steam Machine prototype. These ITX cases might as well be microATX with how large they are.

ITX either needs to be a lot smaller than this or it needs to be replaced by the NUC form factor and let microATX dip down to these size levels instead.

• Ryhadar

Seriously. My mATX case is actually smaller by volume than this.

• internetsandman

I was thinking the same thing. It’s a nice case, but it’s a shame it’s ITX and almost as big as my MATX case. There’s a lot of empty space between the MB, GPU and liquid cooler that’s just I appealing now that we’ve seen the ITX steam machine prototypes, cases like the new Raven from Silverstone as well as the Asrock M8, in addition to less console-y designs like the FT03 Mini, can all house reasonably equivalent power and cooling into much smaller spaces

• RDFSteve

In what possible way does this look ‘very nice’?

• dmjifn

You forgot to say “inb4 ‘hater'”. Because that’s what you’re going to get, hater.

• MustangSally

Meh, I’m with Steve: it’s a plain, black cube, and those feet make it look like a <ahem> stool from my parent’s 1950s living room.

• HTarlek

‘plain, black’ was incredibly successful for Spinal Tap….

• dmjifn

Oh, I’m not saying I fault anyone for not liking a particular case. But “in what possible way”? Really? Such a broad, unqualified range considering the field out there? I mean, you could try stacking it next to his mom for starters. Bet the Corsair looks pretty good then!

• dpaus

How do you know she’s not ‘plain, black’ too??

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t like how it only has room for one expansion card. I know there’s a niche market that likes these things, but unless these mini cases start offering at least one more expansion slot, I’m not going to be even vaguely interested. I’d rather have a gaming laptop, compared to these things.

• dmjifn

Are there mini-itx boards that have more than one expansion slot? I mean, on the main board without a riser?

• Airmantharp

That form-factor was called ‘DTX’. It mostly died, and isn’t terribly useful today given that well-equipped mITX boards have nearly everything everyone actually needs.

• Deanjo

Like me, many others despise plastic odd ball cases that slap a window on every panel they can. This case wouldn’t look out of place in practically any setting.

• Bauxite

Doesn’t have the stupid bendy “handles” the prodigy does, manages to be a bit smaller but fit just as much (more?) into a cube style case.

Plus eye of the beholder and all that, though if they lost the radiator and shifted the board it would be micro ATX capable.

• iknonothing

Damn people, stop liking things I don’t like!1!!!1 /s
      In all seriousness, it would appear that a fair chunk of people like it, so there’s that.