Cherry MX RGB switches give Corsair keyboard technicolor glow

Remember the MX RGB keyboard switches Cherry introduced last month? Well, they’re on display at CES inside a special version of Corsair’s Vengeance K70 keyboard—and the configurable, per-key backlighting is a sight to behold. Scott was on location and recorded this video:

Cherry’s MX RGB switches are translucent. Each one sits over an LED that’s mounted on the surface of the circuit board, and each LED can display 16.8 million colors. The result is a tremendous amount of backlight configurability… not to mention the potential for cool demos like the one above.

Corsair plans a commercial release for the world’s first Cherry MX RGB-based keyboard in the second half of this year. The keyboard will be available with so-called red, brown, and blue versions of the MX RGB switch. In this case, the color refers not to the wavelength of the underlying LED, but to the response of the switch mechanisms. See here for more details.

• thesmileman

I hope its user programmable via a software API so I can do one better than this: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8WKy7WP7Ls[/url<]

• indeego

Control+F
    [i<]Why[/i<] I guess I'm the only one with this question...

• BobbinThreadbare

At this point I think we just expect LEDs to be on everything.

• Meadows

And thus 80’s sci-fi becomes a prophecy.

• Farting Bob

Because Cosair has done research to suggest it will sell enough to make a profit?

• Shoki

Food and dust always look better when backlit in multiple colors.

• just brew it!

Don’t forget the hair and dandruff flakes!

• wierdo

A keyboard with lighting you can control with software could have some interesting uses… I’m thinking typing class, gaming, help menu, etc.

Imagine a typing class where keys light up as users look at their keyboards to find their keystrokes, the lighting helping them find the keys to type and assist in getting them used to the layout.

Or maybe a game where your control scheme gets highlighted with lighting and adjusts as you customize it, leaving unused keys turned off.

Or perhaps an OS that highlights shortcut keys customized for each application you launch etc.

I hope this takes off and becomes a commodity feature some day.

• Meadows

This keyboard is gay.

• Meadows

Oh do come on, [i<]someone[/i<] had to say it.

• tipoo

But you should have said it with this
        [url<]http://www.hahgay.com/[/url<]

• NeelyCam

[quote<]This keyboard is gay.[/quote<] You're gay.

• cynan

It’s all in the presentation. Perhaps if you said:

“This keyboard is gayer than a rainbow flag”

Or, better yet, something with a bit of subtlety, like:

“Corsair: Official IT sponsors of this year’s Pride day”

Your comment may have received better reception?

• steelcity_ballin

This comment is 12.

• Meadows

No, -10 at the moment.

• drsauced

Not gay, FABULOUS!

[url<]http://imgur.com/mV0TY[/url<]

• jihadjoe

I’m not even sure when “gay” became a derogatory term. I grew up reading all sorts of books where it simply meant a happy, joyful sort of person.

On the bright side, I guess times are starting to come around and it’s starting to lose it’s negative connotation.

On the not-so bright side… DAMN I FEEL OLD!

• Grigory

Like so many other words “gay” got hijacked to mean somethings very different. Sometimes I think people should fight back by using the words in their true meaning until the hijack has ultimately failed. In that spirit, I wish you all a gay day! 🙂

• willyolio

still waiting for the keyboard that can change from cherry red to cherry blue, instead of just red to blue.

• internetsandman

Part of me likes the idea, but part of me has been wary of corsair peripherals ever since I had a vengeance 1300 headset. I have a Mionix Zibal 60 at the moment and it’s a quality keyboard, black switches and brilliant build quality. Are Corsairs keyboards quality more in line with their cases or their headsets?

• Milo Burke

I’ve lost all faith in humanity. This keyboard pushed me over the edge.

• internetsandman

A keyboard has done what a generation of bratty entitled celebrities and incompetent politicians have thus fair failed to do

• Milo Burke

I don’t follow political news or gossip news. But I do follow tech news. =D

• Deanjo

Needs a Winamp visualization plugin.

• ludi

“Welcome to Demonstration Mode. You have selected: Acid Trip. Please enjoy your trip.”

I suppose one legit use would be for the backlight to function like the notification lights on a typical phone — different colors and patterns to indicate incoming messages or activities that may have occurred in the background of whatever you’re doing now.

• holophrastic

If I ever looked down at my keyboard, that might be useful. But I don’t. Blank keycaps solidified that years ago. I wouldn’t notice any lights an any time.

• Flatland_Spider

The light from the keyboard would still be in your peripheral vision unless your keyboard is hidden out of sight.

• slowriot

And that light is annoying.

I don’t understand the draw to keyboards with backlights. If you seriously want the light in order to see the keyboard in the dark…. may I just suggest learning the keyboard layout? So much better!

• willmore

If these are anywhere near as bright as the RGB LEDs I have, a whole keyboard of them will get your attention even in a well lit room.

• Flatland_Spider

That would be awesome if Acid Trip mode was an actual option. 🙂

Linking the backlight to the system bell would be one use, or it could flash red for an incorrect password.

Since each key is independent, a key could be setup to indicate a particular application. Ctrl+Shift+m to bring focus to email application.

• chuckula

The Willy Wonka Acid Trip Tunnel: NOW IN KEYBOARD FORM!

• cynan

Pffft 2: Wake me when Cherry starts making switches that have user-adjustable tactile response. A Keyboard that would allow you to defeat the tactile bump on the browns or blues for gaming and then re-enable them for typing would be something to write home about.

Configurable light shows are for the kiddies.

• internetsandman

Yknow, as cheesy as the ‘wake me’ comment is, this would be brilliant. I’m not a massive typist myself but I would imagine for those who are that also game heavily, that would be a miracle. It would be a pain in the ass to engineer though

• Wirko

Pffft 2a: Why want a little when you can want everything. Haptic feedback or nothing! A spacebar that can hit you in your face!

• DancingWind

Oh yes .. I can just imagine you taking out every one of 105 switches and using a tiny screw driver to calibrate it to your liking 🙂 yes sir that will be awesome .. for someone else to do.

• just brew it!

I think he meant something that could be configured via software. While I think that would be a cool idea, it would probably be excessively expensive to implement.

• floodo1

JUST BUY TWO KEYBOARDS

• Sabresiberian

This 58-year old plans to buy one.

I’m not going to have wave light shows, but I am going to color-code my keys based on what I use them for in whichever game I’m playing. 🙂

• HisDivineOrder

I’d love it if I didn’t feel in my bones how overly expensive this is going to be since Corsair has the exclusive use of the technology for a while.

I’m sensing $200 price points coming. Maybe $219 with a $5 rebate for a Corsair mouse if you preorder it.

• Corsair George

The RGB keyboard will require three LEDs per key, as opposed to a single LED per key on a standard LED keyboard like the K70. 104 keys x 3 LEDs = 312 LEDs, minimum. The cost of LEDs ALONE is huge. Not to mention the upgraded internal processor and electronics required to run everything.

The MSRP on the standard, single color K70 is $129. An RGB variant would have to be significantly more expensive.

• Rayyeter

You do realize a single LED can change all different color depending on voltage applied, right?

• Corsair George

But it’s much more complex to control variable voltage 104 times with great granularity, it would cost even more.

• superjawes

Um…not really, and even then, you don’t need a lot of granularity. You can easily set up a resistive network as a voltage divider for preset values and be done. It would require minimal effort over tracing four paths to each LED (which would probably be 1 4-pin multicolored LED and not 3 discrete ones).

Either way you have to trace several paths per key…

• just brew it!

Well, technically it would be 3 different LEDs in the same physical package.

• just brew it!

Actually, no. Tri-color surface mount LEDs (3 LEDs in one package) are about the same price as white ones. Even if they use discrete LEDs for each color it would only add $10 or so to the parts cost. LEDs are *really* cheap in quantity.

• willmore

You’re the only one so far in this discussion who is anywhere near right. You can buy intelligent (self driving) RBG LEDs in a 5050 SMD package that take 5V and have a serial-in and serial-out signal and can be daisy chained. If you wanted to, you could drive this whole keyboard with *one* signal line. That can limit the refresh rate, so it’s probably going to be broken into a few separate chains–based on whatever makes routing convenient.

The LEDs themselves cost $0.50 each at the 10 unit hobbiest volume, so I imagine someone buying millions like Corsair will be paying a good deal less.

I have some of these and they’re super fun to play with. Take a look: [url<]https://www.adafruit.com/category/37_168[/url<]

• Diplomacy42

“LEDs are really expensive”

LOL

• LASR

LEDs are cheaper than piss. Tricolor ones on smd sell for 1 cent in bulk. As far as your control granularity goes – you can individually control the brightness of all the pixels on a 2 million pixel monitor that you can buy for $80.

So it is clear you know very little and are talking out of your ass.

so wait, are you a representative of Corsair or just a fan? If you’re a rep and you’re spreading misinformation, I think Corsair has an issue.

• Krogoth

Pffft, I prefer the non-frills beige of the old Model Ms and Dell Alps keyboards.

• Star Brood

I should buy one. It has “pretty colors” which I can use as a trick to convince my wife I’m buying it for her.

• Neutronbeam

You should try that argument for buying a red Ferrari. ;->

• ALiLPinkMonster

Finally! I know a lot of people will think this is tacky, and that’s understandable. However I’m a sucker for keyboards with really good selectable backlighting, and now I don’t have to give that up for mechanical switches.

• Flatland_Spider

It is pretty neat that we could set the backlight to whatever we wanted rather then what some else thinks is good, or, more likely, whatever the OEM got a good deal on. I’m thinking of the way-too-bright blue LEDs that manufacturers like.

• HTarlek

Remember disco? It’s baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

• RickyTick

<falsetto>
      Staying alive…Staying alive. ah ah ah ah…staying aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.
      </falsetto>

• holophrastic

Well you can tell by the way I use my walk
        I’m a woman’s man no time to talk