EVGA shows ambidextrous gaming mice

Over the years, we’ve seen EVGA expand beyond graphics cards and into several other product categories—motherboards, power supplies, cases, and even tablets. The company’s latest venture involves gaming mice, and at CES last week, Scott got a look at some of its first rodents.

Pictured above is EVGA’s Torq X10 Carbon, an ambidextrous pointing device with a carbon fiber weave surface, a metal base, and an Avago 9800 laser sensor with an 8200 DPI resolution. The Torq X10 Carbon also features nine programmable buttons (purportedly with a life span of 20 million clicks), 512KB of onboard memory for profile storage, a "fully customizable" RGB LED, and adjustability options for both weight and palm rest height.

The palm rest can be adjusted outward or inward to suit the user’s hand shape. Also, the top of the mouse pops off to allow access to the removable weights underneath.

EVGA plans to have the Torq X10 Carbon in stores in late January or early February with a $119.99 price tag. The company has other mice up its sleeve, as well. All in all, EVGA tells us it expects to have six rodents on offer by June.

• Cannonaire

People who really care about buying a premium mouse for competition are more interested in the sensor used than the specs printed on the box – just as most people who frequent this website would be more interested in which chip a graphics card uses than “4GB” in bold letters. Sell me a mouse by telling me it has an Avago A3090 sensor and a shape that works for my hand (I am right handed, but my hands cramp if I use ‘ergonomic’ mice; I can only use ambidextrous mice).

• internetsandman

Have you tried the Logitech G700? Most comfortable mouse I’ve ever used

• Cannonaire

I haven’t tried that one, but I used to use a Logitech MX510 with a similar shape. Thanks for the suggestion though. =)

• krazyredboy

Unless there is a way of locking out the buttons, on the outer finger sides, I see these as being difficult to use.

I suppose, you could disable them in software, but the way I grip my mouse, I can foresee unwanted clicking, with my pinky and ring finger.

• Prestige Worldwide

Yawn. The mouse achieved perfection in 2006, DeathAdder > *.

• internetsandman

I had two Razer mice. Neither of them lasted more than three months without developing multiple issues, meanwhile Logitech mice last for ages and are actually well thought out in terms of ergonomics and buttons

• Prestige Worldwide

I’ve been using the same DeathAdder since 2008 without issue. Buttons work, mouse tracks great, the only thing I had to do was replace the mouse feet because they wore out from the massive amounts of pwnage it was enabling. My experience is that it’s quite reliable.

• HisDivineOrder

The main issues I’ve had with regards to Razer had more to do with Synapse than the hardware. I thought my keyboard was shorting out or something due to not enough juice from the USB port because every now and then I’d have a key get “stuck” where it’d just keep registering as the system logged in.

I couldn’t figure it out until one day I realized I had the system set up to turn the backlighting off for the mouse and keyboard when the system turned the monitors off. So I disabled that and then realized I had no need for the macros, so I shut off Synapse entirely.

Haven’t had a problem since. That’s really a shame, but what can you do? I do love my Naga and my Blackwidow otherwise. I’d love a Topre-based variable color option, but that seems… a very distant possibility. I’ll probably go for one of those Corsair MX Cherry keyboards they announced with the new Cherry switches that have the LED shining through them, though. Since I can’t use the Synapse backlight-off feature, I can live with not having software at all.

The Naga using the 1-9, 0, -, = keys is fine, too.

Previously, I owned two Deathadders. The oldest one and then a 3500 optical one, too. After years, the oldest one did die, but it was so many years, I didn’t mind. The 3500 still works well as far as I know, though I’m not using it now that I use my Naga.

So Razer hardware? Good so far for me, though I abhor gaming headphones in every way and don’t condone them. Don’t use them. Tried a couple of Razer headsets and returned them all. They were horrible. All headsets, in fact, are horrible. Do yourself a favor and buy real cans.

Razer software remains their problem and it IS a problem. They really need to get a handle on that.

• Prestige Worldwide

I agree that Synapse is largely unneeded but having the ability to cloud sync your mouse settings is nice if you use multiple rigs / lan / travel. But having an always on connection as a necessity to have these settings is probably the wrong way to go about it. It should be an optional feature and not something more resembling past Ubisoft DRM methods.

I haven’t used their keyboards or headsets so I can’t comment there, I use Sennheiser HD 555s and an X-Fi through a stereo receiver as a headphone amp.

Just saying, the DeathAdder is simplistic perfection and has served me well for 5 and a half years. Wouldn’t want to use anything else for FPS games.

• Cannonaire

My Razer Copperhead lasted from around the time it came out until about 2 months ago, when I pressed too hard and broke the scroll wheel. It saw extremely heavy usage over many years.

• ColeLT1

Every hand is different.

But for myself, I agree, I am on my 2nd death adder, had the 1st one, then the 3g sensor. The first one lasted 4 years until the center scroll wheel click button became flaky.

• internetsandman

I would be interested to see how many lefties actually use their left hand for the mouse, as opposed to just using a normal mousing position with their right hand. Are there any ergonomic mice for lefties, or are there too few people who do that, even as a percentage of all lefties, to make it worthwhile?

• superjawes

Probably depends on the application, for the most part. PC games tend to use a lot of keys around WASD by default, so I imagine that more gamers just deal with it than office types, where the mouse is probably ambidextrous anyway.

• cjyoda78

This lefty is a Gamer, and a PC tech, and also grew up not knowing “lefty” mice existed.. When i finally got my hands on a lefty mouse in my teens it was as awkward as trying to write right-handed, I don;t see it being worth the inconvenience of having to remap everything for gaming, and having to carry around my own hardware when working on others machines.

• internetsandman

I assumed as such, that’s why ergonomic right handed mice seem to make a lot more sense, even for lefties, than ambidextrous mice

• Shobai

the other part of the problem, as alluded to below, is that there are no right handed keyboards, in a sense. I’m lefty, if I’d been able to start with a mouse for the left and a Nostromo (or similar, it was the first name pop into my mind) for the right, maybe things would be different. As it is, I learnt to use a right handed set up for the computer, drum on a right handed set up kit, etc.

Interestingly enough, my father is right handed and uses the mouse in the left hand. He does a fair bit of data entry, especially with the numpad. His set up irritates everyone else who uses it, but I find it easy enough to use.

tl;dr mice are only part of the problem. Lefties appear to adapt to adverse circumstances better than righties

• Antias

I’m a Leftie Gamer (mainly MMO’s like DDO), and I actually use my left hand with an ambidextrous wireless Logitech mouse quite happily!
      Strangely (as some have noted in my office) I tend to use smaller mouse set at a 45 degree angle under my left palm (pointing to the 2 O’clock position) so the left mouse button is under my pointer finger easily.
      In games i just remap all the movement keys to the arrow keys and the rest to the numpad keys. I’ve often thought this arrangement is more logical than it is for you Righties as the arrow keys are often isolated and easily managed without having to look at a keyboard for position, and the numpad keys are easily managed also due to being so confined and “felt” by finger tips (a 4×5 arrangement under the right hand is easily memorised compared to the whole qwerty layout if your not a touch typist like me)

Anyway – that’s my 2 cents – a happy left handed user!

• oldog

This is exactly the same way I use a mouse as a southpaw.

• [+Duracell-]

I have a co-worker that uses a steelseries Sensei in his left hand.

• tanker27

man those are ugly mice……..

• Krogoth

Who cares about the sensors that are sensitive enough to handle 2000+ DPI (FYI, the human forearm and hand aren’t dextrous to take advantage of it). What actually matters is the feet of the mice and the surface that it is gliding across.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I never use more than 1600 DPI on a 1080 screen. The idea of 8200 or more makes me dizzy just thinking about it. You’re just being a showoff at that point.

• Star Brood

I’d rather buy a RAT 9 for more utility, but you are on the ball here. My Razer DeathAdder jumped tens of pixels with the most subtle movement I could make with my hand, and that was with just 3500dpi. More != better.

• ronch

I see Krogoth ain’t impressed this time around.

• Deanjo

No good can come from catering to lefties.;D

• ronch

They live in a right-handed world. They should just deal with it.

/evil

• DPete27

We do.

• Deanjo

All the R&D money that companies pour into catering to them should be put towards finding a cure for those afflicted with the aberration. Lefties should be all the reason we need to give the green light to genetic manipulation of the human species.

• Thornbark

+1 if that was intended as a joke :))

• Srsly_Bro

+1 if he’s srs.

• tipoo

Check your right handed privilege!

• internetsandman

End the attacks on right handed people!!