Fan-made Morrowind remake looks amazing

I have fond memories of Morrowind, the pre-prequel to Skyrim, but it looks a little dated these days—just as any 12-year-old game would. As Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports, a team of modders has taken it upon themselves to remake the game in the Skyrim engine. The mod is still a work in progress, but it already looks stunning.

See for yourself:

You can follow the development of Skywind, as the mod is called, here on the TES Renweal Project forums. A list of frequently asked questions about the project can be perused here. Sadly, though, the download page says the mod is “not available for public release anymore, due to its very alpha state.”

Too bad. I do hope I’ll get to play this thing eventually. Morrowind had a unique atmosphere that other Elder Scrolls games have never quite replicated. My only request is that the modders include an option to cull the cliff racer population.

• Grape Flavor

You know, to be honest I’d rather they simply polish up Morroblivion than leave that one to rot and start all over on the Skyrim engine. I doubt the capabilities of the new engine are going to make it THAT much better, and also the gameplay systems of Oblivion are much closer to Morrowind than Skyrim is.

• swaaye

If this actually nears some form of completion, there will probably be another new engine. Rinse and repeat.

• PrincipalSkinner

I still remember my Morrowind playthrough. Here it goes.
    – Got bored of hunting mushrooms.
    – Went to shop. Bought item. Sold to merchant at higher cost. Repeated until was rich.
    – Rented room. Cast spells at wall. Leveled up a lot.
    – Left room. Floated and spewed fireballs at guards.
    – Uninstalled game.

• Laykun

Just because you can go out into the local shopping mall with an AK and go on massacre doesn’t necessarily mean you should.

• Bensam123

I never really got into Morrowind. At the time it came out it just really didn’t do it for me. I never really gave it a chance, but it also never really made me want to give it on.

The footage shows a distinct lack of combat, so I’m guessing that hasn’t improved. >>

• PenGun

We have a good bit of Morrowind in TESO and I have explored quite a bit of it.

Just ordered up this for TESO:

[url<]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141161911922&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160[/url<] Wish me luck!

• ssidbroadcast

Cliff Racers were bad but the two worst things in the game was…

• Pacing. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was so, so slooooooowwww. Even your run animation looks like it plays out in slow motion.

• Combat. Unless you spec’d out a very specific beginning build in the game and knew exactly what you were doing, combat in the game was a (again) very slow match of whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-smack-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-smack-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff-whiff- etc etc… It was terribly boring and felt offensively ineffectual.

Everything else was neato… for it’s time. Skyrim is certainly a better game that doesn’t make the above mistakes.

• TwoEars

A work in progress is the key word.

All credit to the fans and guys doing this buy I don’t except to be playing it anytime soon.

• NeelyCam

It’s things like these that make me wonder if I should venture back to PC gaming..

• etana

things like these are the reason i was never tempted to leave the PC for gaming.
      Plus, i tried flappy bird once and couldn’t clear the first pipe.

• Crackhead Johny

Looking at the time it took for Black Mesa to get completed, how long will this take? Will it ever get released?
    If they do get it done I will be grabbing it as soon as it is realeased.

• DancinJack

How are the two even related?

• Crackhead Johny

How are the 2 projects not similar?

Projects to port old games to new engines, by modders, are few and far between when it comes to success. So establishing a track record of such projects to guess at chances of success and timeline, involves using the info you can find. Black Mesa is the closest comparison I can come up with right now.

Morrowwind on for Skyrim strikes me as even more brutal as a mod.

• BobbinThreadbare

Even if Black Mesa had come out quickly, what would that tell you about a completely different group of people working on a completely different game with a completely different engine?

• Crackhead Johny

That this sort of mod can’t be done quickly by a team of modders.
            I haven’t heard about either engine being particularly painful to work with (this sort of thing drives away modders and both the Source engine and Skyrim have a mod or two out there, suggesting both are some what friendly to modders).

To use the car analogy.. 🙂
            If it seems to take a team of mechanics 6 months to completely restore a Hemi ‘Cuda, we would not guess that it will take 10 minute or 20 years for a different team of mechanics to fully restore a Karmann Ghia, even though they are completely different cars with completely different engines. At that point you ball park it in the 3 mo to a year if the ‘Cuda is the only data you have. Of course with cars we have way more data than with projects like this.

So if it doesn’t die I’d guess it will take few year to reach completion of a quality product.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’ve seen one dude in his garage take 10 years to restore a car, so your analogy works, but I don’t think it supports your argument.

• Symmetry

That looks stunning, but I hope they don’t do what recent Elder Scrolls games do and prevent you from flying. And I hope they keep the ability to pull of a technological singularity with potionmaking.

• kamikaziechameleon

If I was going to say rework a game I’d probably work in a actually modern game engine.

But from a technical standpoint I understand why its so much easier to work in that game… even if the engine isn’t the most impressive.

• bthylafh

I never quite got into Morrowind, enjoying Skyrim a lot more. Can someone explain what made it such a great game?

• dmjifn

I never played it but it harkens back to the days of JeffK!!!1 Tomorrowind has long had a place in my heart.

• DancinJack

The story and lore. I don’t think i’d go back to it now, but you should play the Skywind thing if/when it comes out.

• Khali

Morrowind was the first open sandbox game I had come across outside of a MMO. You could go anywhere and do anything without being tied to a main quest line. The choice was yours on what you wanted to do. You could be evil or good, it was all about the choices you made.

There were some other attempts at a open world sandbox game in the 90’s. Including other games set in the Elder Scrolls universe. All those were lacking in one thing or another. Morrowind was the first with decent graphics, stunning for the time. Plus Morrowind was the first game I found that let the players create mods and provided a tool to do so.

Then there is the added dimension of the game not holding your hand leading you around doing quests. In Skyrim you have all kinds of markers on the compass and the map showing you the way to the next step of a quest. There wasn’t any of that in Morrowind, you had to figure it out yourself from reading what your journal told you. I got more of a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from Morrowind quests than I did from Skyrim.

• swaaye

It’s not as great as nostalgia dictates. In 2002 it was certainly rather unique and is one of the first open world sandbox RPGs that mostly works. It’s very immersive. Very otherwordly. The gameplay is real time but much more rigidly “RPG dice roll” and certainly isn’t for everyone. Some people do prefer how it plays. But it most definitely has problems in various gameplay systems and will likely seem unrefined today.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think it’s the subtly that made it great. The story and lore wasn’t in your face, you had to go and find it. You had to read the books to figure out what was really going on and you could find clues to all kinds of things.

It included touches like all quest givers giving you natural directions on how to find things, like a person would in real life. It meant you had to pay attention to follow it instead of just following the quest arrow on the screen.

It was pretty bad gameplay wise though. Using a percentage based chance to hit combined with a real time action-feeling game was a terrible idea.

• ssidbroadcast

It hasn’t aged well. It’s mostly nostalgia.

• anotherengineer

The absence of this, in Morrowind is the reason.

[url<]http://www.animeroot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/tumblr_lvo4cojcL71qfkduoo1_400.jpg[/url<]

• crystall

Cliff racers were a nuisance indeed, but with enough levitation potions and the boots of blinding speed you could usually outrun them. If you also had a good bow you could do some pretty fun air-to-air combat too 😛

• Melvar

One of the most useful items you could enchant in Morrowind was a ring of invisibility. It was useless for anything other than dodging cliff racers, but it excelled for that purpose.

• Cannonaire

I enchanted a full set of armor, clothes, etc. to achieve 100% chameleon (to the uninitiated, ‘chameleon’ is a percentage-based invisibility that doesn’t immediately go away if you take action). It was pretty fun firing off a spell with enormous radius and watching the NPC run around all over the place cause they had no way to know where the damage came from.

I also enchanted an alternate set with 100% sanctuary (IIRC chameleon and sanctuary cost the same enchantment-wise), which meant normal weapons couldn’t hit me. I then proceeded to smack a single guard and move around until I had an army attacking me, completely unable to do damage.

I think what I’m trying to say is, Morrowind was the best shenanigans.

• ghomfom

The best soundtrack in RPG history, is Morrowind. I’m playing it now, with the Morrowind Sound & Graphics Overhaul v 3_0. The graphics are superb, and the music “haunts” me all the time, in a positive way:) Looking forward to the Skywind overhaul!

• Deanjo

Hope it survives and not become one of the many fan made mod projects that have been shutdown due to some lawyer whining.

• swaaye

Bethesda did kill a Morrowblivion project years ago because of the use of proprietary Morrowind textures with Oblivion. Apparently that has been worked out though.

[url<]http://tesrenewal.com/morroblivion-faq[/url<]

• Deanjo

I wasn’t just referring to that remake. There have been several remakes that have been stuffed by overzealous lawyers. Several Ultima remakes ran into that issue.

• Krogoth

Please think of the lawyers! They have children and wives to feed!

• nico1982

Well… nice!

I still not fully comprehend how, back in the days, I managed to spend dozens of hours farming ingredients like crab meat…