Newest Thermaltake Urban case has dual doors

Mid-tower cases aren’t breaking much new ground these days, especially outside the aesthetics department. Thermaltake’s newly announced Urban T81 might just be an exception to that trend, though. It has not one, but two doors on its left side: one for the main system components and a second door for the storage bays. Thermaltake claims the design was "inspired by automotive ‘suicide doors,’" which is probably not the wording I’d use in a press release, but… well, see for yourself:

It doesn’t hurt that the Urban T81 otherwise looks pretty stylish. I dig the clean lines, the brushed-aluminum front door, and the refreshing lack of garish vents and LEDs. Thermaltake has come a long way since the Xaser series.

So, how much hardware can this puppy hold? Quite a lot, apparently. There are three removable cages with room for a total of two optical drives and eight hard drives or SSDs. Thermaltake supplies the case with two 200-mm front fans, another 200-mm spinner at the top, and a 140-mm exhaust for good measure. Users can strap in a fourth 200-mm fan at the top and two 140-mm units at the bottom. And there’s a 10-fan controller built in—although, as far as I can tell, the front-panel buttons only offer "high" and "low" speed options.

Last, but not least, Thermaltake has made plenty of room for liquid cooling. The Urban T81 supports 420-mm radiators at the top and front, a 280-mm radiator at the bottom, and a 140-mm unit at the rear. If you need that much liquid cooling, though, I think you might as well just build a whole case out of radiators and duct-tape your motherboard to ’em. Why bother with a middle-man?

Check the image gallery below for more glamor shots of the Urban T81.

• kamikaziechameleon

I very beautiful case. I’d be interested to see a tech report review.

• Choz

How is this new? They had the same door design on the Tai Chi 10+ years ago but that had a gas lift on the door and thumb screws to secure them instead of a latch. Mind you it also had mounting for the radiator on the door.

• oldog

I can see the mad men working on their pitch…

How about we say it is a 2 door hard top with 4 on the floor?

• Khali

If your going to put a window in the left hand side of the case to show off all your hardware your going to probably sit the case on the right side of your desk. That way you can glance over and admire all your toys, gaze at all the glowing fans and things with LED’s built into them, or just to see if all the fans are still running.

This raises a problem for those that still use a CD drive from time to time. Yes there are more of us around than Cyril would like to acknowledge, that still have a use for a CD drive. The door on the front opens to the left. Thus forcing you to reach around the door to get to the CD drive. Doors on the front of computer cases are evil to start with. At least they did not make the same mistake Antec did on a case I had a while ago. That one you had to open the door to get to the USB ports, head phone jacks, and the power and reset buttons in addition to the CD drives. That case ended up on the left hand side of my desk and the door was left open full time. It would have taken major surgery to remove it. The case did not have a window so having the left side of the case against a wall did not mater.

Of course this isn’t a problem for those that no longer use CD drives. Or those that sit the case on the floor under the desk, they wouldn’t buy a case with a window in the side to start with. Hard to admire your hardware through a window if you have to crawl under a desk to do it.

• curtisb

Get an external USB optical drive. I don’t put optical drives in any of my PCs anymore…but I do have an external for the rare occasion I need one.

• Khali

The whole point in having a full ATX case with room for lots of drives is to avoid cluttering up the desk top with external drives and other devices. Much simpler to avoid cases with little annoying issues like this.

• curtisb

Fair point…however, I don’t leave my external connected all the time. When not in use it’s either in a drawer or in my backpack, not cluttering up my desk. 🙂

• HisDivineOrder

The more they overtake the plumbing…

• Ninjitsu

As i’m OCD about cooling and dust filters, I really like this case. Front door should help deaden the noise escaping from the spare 5.25″ drive bays of my HAF 912.

4x200mm fans should be nice and silent, with lots of airflow. Easily removable dust filters is just icing on the case.

• keltor

Interesting case, but generally Thermaltake cases have been quite meh.

• UnfriendlyFire

“I think you might as well just build a whole case out of radiators and duct-tape your motherboard to ’em”

Because if you have the money to pay for two GPUs, high-end mobo, a $1000 i7, expensive copper radiators, and expensive pumps, I seriously doubt duct-tape would match those components.

Though you could build your own PC case…

• entropy13

The included pictures aren’t very helpful with regards to the second sentence of the third paragraph, considering all of the removable cages were removed in those images (except for the third pic which retains one of them) or is not visible at all (the first and fourth)…LOL

• curtisb

I guess it was too much effort to go to Thermaltake’s website and do some research. Here, let me help:

[url<]http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model_gallery.aspx?id=C_00002239[/url<]

• entropy13

Indeed it’s too much effort, that’s why I went to another website that is also bookmarked instead, which also had an article about this case, which uses four different images than this one (its first image included is just like the first picture featured in the gallery, except done in another angle; the rest are altogether different from the ones here).

• curtisb

You do realize that the Thermaltake product page was linked in this article, right? Second sentence in. The other site you visited probably just used a different set of four from the 39 photos Thermaltake has on their site.

• entropy13

And of course the Thermaltake product page is linked. But nothing really appears in it. Or in Corsair’s, for that matter. Or in NZXT’s, Antec’s, etc. because NoScript blacklists by default.

• cynan

Looks more like room for 320 radiators at top and front, not 420. But then, with the 280 at the bottom, I don’t see why anyone would ever need that much liquid cooling. Perhaps for quad GPU set-ups.

I have a total of 520mm spread across 2 rads cooling my motherboard voltage regulators, 2 HD 7970s and a 3970k, all moderately overclocked, and it is sufficient. Oh well, in when it comes to enthusiasts, support for too much is always preferable over not enough..

• Great_Big_Abyss

140×3 = 420

I think the idea is the drive cages (including the optical drive cages) are removable.

• SusanJLopez
      • JosiahBradley

WHY WOULD A LINK WITH THE WORD SAFE IN IT FEEL SO *UNSAFE*. DO NOT CLICK.

• [+Duracell-]

I’ve been looking for a new case…this might be it!

• Bensam123

I’d prefer a gullwing and a Mr. Fushion.

• UberGerbil

How about a roll-up door? It could run on rails inside the top of the case (and down the other side) and be perforated for cooling. You could even make it power-operated, with a remote. 😉

• Bensam123

That’d actually be really cool, not gonna lie. I’d totally geek out over that.

• NeelyCam

Oh good. I was already worried that the cases might be getting too small for a mini-ITX board

• anotherengineer

Would be even cooler if………………the power on button was inside the case.
    Just so you could open the ‘double doors’ every time you had to start the pc.

• chµck