Titanfall PC includes 35GB of uncompressed audio

When word got out that Titanfall would weigh in at 48GB on the PC, I kind of assumed that requirement had to do with super-high-res textures or the like. Well, that’s not the case. According to Eurogamer, the game actually owes most of its massive footprint not to high-res textures, but to uncompressed audio.

To be precise, the PC version of Titanfall reportedly includes “a whopping 35GB of uncompressed audio.”

Respawn Entertainment, the game’s developer, claims the uncompressed audio was included for the benefit of slower PCs. “A two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio,” says Richard Baker, Respawn’s Lead Engineer. “We couldn’t dedicate those resources to audio.” The Xbox One decodes audio in hardware, so it has no such limitation.

As hesitant as I am to second-guess people who do this sort of thing for a living, I can’t help being a tad dubious. Does audio decompression really require that much horsepower, even on a slow system? I suppose it’s possible that Titanfall simply needs a lot of CPU time for game logic, and the developers simply couldn’t spare the CPU cycles needed for audio decode.

Either way, those of us with mid-range and high-end PCs will have to put up with a 48GB game install without any real payoff—and that, if anything, is the disappointing part.

• Zeratul

And a good enough soundfont can take just as much space, and add more computational overhead than just playing something back. A good Drum Kit is 30 GB on it’s own for a really complete soundfont.

• Zeratul

I already mentioned that 24-bit, and even higher, can be great for recording. It helps keep the noise floor on each track as low as possible so that by the time you’ve layered 10, or 30, or 200 tracks together you’re ideally still dealing with a noise floor that’s low enough not to be audible in the final mix and preserve a respectable dynamic range. We can hear a larger Dynamic Range of sound, but I am actually curious if you can describe any listening situations where over 96 dB of dynamic range is practical and useful.

• smilingcrow

Can I buy a MIDI file of say Miles Davis’s In a Silent Way and play it on my phone or iPod or PC and have it sound like the actual album? No, as they are not directly comparable at all.

MIDI is good but most DAW’s save files as proprietary formats don’t they? That’s ignoring all the softsynths, samples and audio recordings that make up most DAW recordings.

• Waco

This. Jesus, if you get this worked up over a company using a stupid excuse for their laziness…I hope you never watch the news that involves [i<]real[/i<] issues. Yes, this is dumb. Yes, his excuse is BS. Rage worthy? Not a chance.

• arvidma

Just after the turn of the millenium, I was between computers, stuck for a while with an old 486-DX66. That machine played back 128kbps mp3:s just fine, as long as I kept it in mono. Stereo would skip too much while multitasking.

Don’t remember the name of the mp3 player, but it was a Linux console application. Ncurses interface with yellow text on blue background, if I recall correctly.

• srg86

My first PC (coming over from the Amiga) was a 166MHz K6, the money saved on that component choice (it was a shop bought machine) allowed me to add a sound card (it was a bottom of the range machine) and upgrade the monitor to a 15″ FST.

• srg86

The slowest machine I’ve ever managed to successfully play an MP3 on was an Am5x86 133MHz (basically a 133MHz 486) running Windows 95. I don’t think I had much success with a 486DX4 100MHz though. ( Built the machine later to play with 486s).

Still this goes to show that this is all bull.

• LoneWolf15

MIDI from the 90’s was great if you had a wavetable-lookup sound card.

Trust me, I was one of the first to have a Soundblaster AWE32 (and load some RAM on it for the Soundfont banks), and once I got the kinks out of the configuration, games like LucasArts TIE Fighter which took advantage of wavetable sound cards were the cat’s ass.

While harder to get working, people who had Ensoniq Soundscape or Roland RAP-10 setups had it at least as amazing if not more (especially the Roland).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I believe the Gravis UltraSound was pretty amazing too.

• LoneWolf15

You remind me, I really should bring my rare K6-II+ 570MHz to the next TR BBQ.

I was one of the first to have the original 233MHz. Cost me a fortune when I was young, foolish, and full of debt.

• ssidbroadcast

Hey now, don’t talk trash about that K6-2!

To me it’s not about 130dB, it’s about >96. Avid claims the microphone preamp of my Mbox can do 120dB dynamic range (and it really does, according to [url=http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Forums_General/pro-reviews/30964574-avid-mbox-pro-computer-interfa-30964574<]Craig Anderton[/url<]). My relatively inexpensive Rode NT1A a bit less. Especially when I'm routing the signal through plugins, why not keep the noise floor as low as possible?

• sweatshopking

YOU KNOW, CHUCK. I DON’T THINK YOU HAVE A 5000$ SPEAKER WIRE. I THINK YOU MADE IT UP. YEAH. I THINK YOU’RE LYING. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT?!

WoW still isn’t as big as Titanfall, and I can assure you WoW has more than eight maps 😉

• UnfriendlyFire

I recall there was a game back in the 1990s where because of how the sound system was programmed, you can easily tell where the gunfire was coming from, or if there’s something shuffling their feet around the corner or behind you.

• highlandr

I agree. I load up my Titanfall SFX vinyl and play it over my tube amps for maximum fidelity.

I still can’t figure out how everyone keeps sneaking up on me though.

• DarkMikaru

Good Point, good god.. that makes me wonder how huge WoW must be then. Anyway, I’ve bought Titan Fall but have not had the time to play it yet. Gotta wait for some time off so I can really get immersed.

• marraco

100% lies.

Audio has almost zero footprint on modern games. That’s why nobody buys discrete sound cards anymore.

But 35 GB of useless space teorically helps against piratery. teorically, because pirates will compress the audio, and make a more attractive product.

I have old DVDs which are no more readable, and it makes nonsense to store they for long times. The first thing I do is backup. Buy I will think 2 times before dong a backup of 35 Gb of data.

• superjawes

I can guarantee that an MMORPG like Tera isn’t going to be 73% uncompressed audio…MMOs take up a lot of space because the worlds are huge (although I think Blizzard found ways to minimize the overall footprint now that WoW is four expansions in).

• DarkMikaru

Honestly, no surprise here really. Recently I took up Tera Online and after all the updates, patches & the like it weighs in at a hefty 55.2 GB!! What’s worse is that the original download was around 25 GB to begin with!

Remember that crappy Kingston V300 120GB SSD I was crying about a few weeks ago? I use it as a USB 3.0 gaming SSD for my HP G7 Laptop. It performs quite admirably to be honest. Anyway, I’m a casual PC gamer and to be honest I don’t know how you guys dealt with such huge games all the time.

Between Tera Online & my Steam library (which is kinda sad compared to my friends) I’ve used up 150GB of my 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD. Ugh… anyway, Just saying. Not sure why anyone is surprised here.

• UnfriendlyFire

I remember converting a 720p, 1.5 hours long Windows Media Video file to MP4 at high quality setting on a free converter software.

On an i7 720qm (1.6 GHz quad-core), it took about 5 hours to finish.

I think your argument is BS unless if they’re still using Pentium 4 or C2D machines.

• Klimax

There’s nothing ironical about that… 😉

Anyway seems to agree with what I observed. (At least before you start hitting massive I/O bottleneck)

• Klimax

You’d want something like FLAC, but that’s just tiny thing compared to big one.

• travbrad

It does make the ones more one-ey and the zeroes more zero-ey though.

• entropy13

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here already, but apparently it’s uncompressed and…includes several languages for the dialogues.

EDIT: Apparently it is mentioned already LOL

• jihadjoe

Midi can probably done completely in software these days, just need a good enough soundfont.

• bandannaman

Ironically, working with uncompressed data can actually [b<]increase[/b<] your CPU usage. I worked at a major software ISV a few years back; part of that work involved designing and implementing a protocol to remotely play sounds and media files across the network, back before everything was routinely compressed. We worked in some very bandwidth-constrained environments, but the server was CPU- and memory-constrained, so everyone assumed that compressing the audio would be worse for performance -- until we measured. Compressing the audio before dealing with it actually [b<]reduced[/b<] CPU usage and made the system more scalable. By quite a lot -- so much so that we started compressing it all on the fly by default, unless they specifically configured it to play "high quality" (for discerning users, of course). It turns out the culprit was the CPU and memory load involved with just copying the data up and down the protocol stack. Nowadays it's hard to predict what the results would be, given the changed environment -- now we have ubiquitous TCP offloading, but much larger files; direct DMA between disk and the PCI Express sound card; and generally plenty of very fast cores to go around (2 is way more than 1, last I checked). One hopes they measured, like we did.

• UnfriendlyFire

” 3.) It is another tactic to fight off piracy since it takes a while to download ~10GiB+ ISOs and it puts a significant dent in bandwidth quotas for some ISPs……”

Well, the pirates can delete the unneeded local language files and resave the audio files in a more compressed, lower bitrate.

It’ll take more work, but if they can break the best DRMs before the game even launches, then it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

• eloj

They don’t have to license it, it’s freely available. [url<]https://xiph.org/vorbis/[/url<]

• eloj

There will no doubt be a ripped pirated version. Pirates win again.

• eloj

Given that vorbis exists and is neither awful nor slow… no.

• UnfriendlyFire

They’re probably too cheap to license a proper decoder.

• UnfriendlyFire

You need those oak wire insulators to perfect the warming.

• Klimax

For of mixing 512 channels compression is just red herring. (Just decode what you need into memory) If they wanted to do high number of channels, it would be far different problem from 35GB of audio…

• LostCat

Xbox One doesn’t use TrueAudio, it uses similar sound hardware the Xbox 360 does.

Most games I’ve played recently have entirely too much extra language data.

• LostCat

auxy and rage are best friends. And I’m still buying this game.

• LostCat

You do realize most people buy games they want regardless of who makes them?

• OneArmedScissor

130 dB of dynamic range would be going from artillery to silence. :p

AD converters can’t do more than ~125 dB in a best case scenario, anyways.

110 – 115 dB seen in actual use is enough to record at -18dBFS reference and avoid overdriving the analog circuits. The end result would be above or around 16 bit.

That’s hasn’t changed since probably the 90s, when earlier versions of today’s expensive, bulky, IC-less rack units first showed up. They’re still rare outside of mastering, so the source’s dynamic range is lower.

The AD ICs used for recording stalled out years ago at ~120 dB, but it’s a few dB lower wired into the device, and sometimes even a few dB lower than that at a higher sample rate.

I wouldn’t give more weight to 24 bit or 96+ KHz. They’re both about the same proportion of “too much.”

At 60 KHz, the low pass filter is high enough to avoid audible phase shifts, much as 20 bits is plenty. Of course, there’s no standard format of exactly 20 bits and 60 KHz, but removable wiggle room isn’t going to hurt anything.

Even if you record at 44.1 – 48 KHz, you can also just run the mix at a higher rate, and any plugins that can use it will still benefit.

• southrncomfortjm

Fixed. Didn’t see the line.

• Sahrin

I think we’re pretty much at the point where any software released by EA is basically malware.

Don’t buy EA games – you’re just teaching them that they can re’ease shitty products over and over with no fear of reprisals.

• GatoRat

My guess is that they postponed compressing the audio and ran out of time. Perhaps at the last hour they tried some compression, but the CODEC they selected was awful and too slow and they pulled it at the last second without time to change the installer.

• flip-mode

That solves what could be the smallest of the many issues mentioned.

• thor84no

You’d think if it was that big a deal they could have an installer that can grab either the compressed audio files or the uncompressed ones based on hardware. For a digital download at least that should work fine (where the problem is the biggest IMO). It might require additional DVDs for a DVD install, but it can’t be that big a deal.

• thor84no

If you look carefully you’ll see he’s replying to l33t-g4m3r, not to you.

• adamwzl

I run all of my games off of a RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Caviar mechanical drives with an average of 330mb/s read, not too bad for old spinning HD’s that were $59 a piece.

Still there’s a lot of people that use mechanical drives for games. Its just easier to have 2TB of space to fill with games only. And 1TB+ SSD equivalent is still too expensive these days to have as a dedicated game drive.

Titanfall is ok, I’m very disappointed in the non optimization. SLI/Crossfire is broken, vsync off keeps frames stuck at 60, with it on it actually goes to my Monitors refresh rate of 120hz but stutters and tears horribly with a lot of increased mouse lag. Can’t keep a solid frame rate unless vsync is off and its stuck @ 60 with settings turned a bit down.

• daviejambo

I don’t like EA much either but they do make some good games. So I bought Titanfall from a Russian CD key place for £20 (half the RRP) , the download itself is only 20gb as it has compressed audio.

Anyway fire up the game and it’s actually brilliant , so can everyone stop hating on it ? It looks beautiful (despite these textures) and plays brilliant. Will be my main shooter for a long time

Origin is actually just as good (or bad) as steam. Sure it would be nice to have all our games in the one place but that is not going to happen is it

Except for the quality to be awesome with real-ish sounding instruments you need a sample library that will also be huge (synths are generally quite small but it’s not reasonable to get real string or brass sounds out of a synth, for example). Native Instruments’ Kontakt is a 30GB install just for the sound library, plus all the processing that goes into it is kind of the opposite of the stated goal.

• hyperspaced

What kind of BS excuse is that? “We couldn’t dedicate resources to audio”
    Apparently you CAN dedicate resources to all the interrupts necessary for disk access.

This is a joke.

Ah, OK. Makes sense, maybe there’s some compressed stuff on that disc. Is the 360 version the same way?

• southrncomfortjm

Ok ok, fine. I won’t buy the next game from EA that’s on Origin and contains a bunch of uncompressed audio.

• ish718

POS should come with a free sound card

• Terra_Nocuus

So then you need to have 75GB free to download + install? (real question, not sarcasm)

• oMa

FLAC is compressed…

• superjawes

Or…EA(/Respawn) could have cut down the audio footprint to begin with, made Origin more user friendly, drop always-online nonsense in single player games, and generally do more good for gamers rather than harm.

Boycotting companies that do wrong is the best way to cause a change. If you keep buying products from a bad company, you give said company more money to continue bad policies. Vote with your wallet and demand better. The only reason we’re on the verge of a shift in the FPS market is that CoD sales have been trending down.

/soapbox

I know it’s an idealistic approach, but that’s the point that l33t is trying to make. It’s not about how much fun [i<]Titanfall[/i<] is. It's about getting these fun games without having to put up with the bull**** the sometimes comes along with them.

• BobbinThreadbare

That probably had more to do with streaming data than decoding, but I could be easily be wrong.

• southrncomfortjm

Nevermind!

• Spunjji

You seem to be missing all sorts of points yourself. Best take a breather and reassess why you’re attacking this guy.

• southrncomfortjm

First world problems, IMO. The rage is strong in these comments.

Really? I should skip a fun game because you all think their line about the audio is BS? Can you guys hear (or read) yourselves?

• southrncomfortjm

Apologist? Sure, whatever makes this easier for you. As for points, I made two: (1) the game runs and (2) it would be nice to have all my games in one place (one distribution system). Let’s see if you addressed them. Problem is, I don’t really get what you are saying or how it applies to my points.

The way I see it, you respond to me by saying that 35gb of uncompressed audio is a problem, by stating that Origin is late to the digital distribution party, and pointing out that EA is a bad company, if not the worst.

Sure, 35gb of uncompressed audio is annoying, but I don’t see how it really interferes with the experience. If you’ve only got a 128gb SSD, sure, that’s an issue, but for most people I just see this as them making a mountain out of a molehill. Also, most of the people complaining aren’t even buying the game (like you), so, again, what’s the big deal? I have yet to read that someone who bought the game is having a major issue with the install size, though I’m sure there are people out there like that.

Okay, so since Steam came out first, no one else can come to the digital distribution party? The door is now closed? And how is my statement nonsensical? The point makes perfect sense – it would be nice to have all my games on one distribution platform. The fact that it is basically impossible to do that now is unimportant – the point is it would be *nice*.

I also don’t see how I’m stupid for “supporting” EA by buying a game I like. EA as a company, sure they get an F. Titanfall as an EA game? Solid choice in my book. Its expensive, its on Origin (OMG!) but it is, get this, *fun*. You can join the hate train, I’m going to hop in my titan and blast some stuff. I’ll buy the games I like and skip the ones I don’t. I’m not going to skip Destiny either just because I don’t like Activision.

On a similar note, I guess I shouldn’t buy any Ubisoft games either since they are on Uplay which is even worse than Origin IMO.

BTW, just keep editing, you’ll get it right eventually. With a 4th, you may actually make sense!

• chµck

An english-only torrent will be available soon i suspect.

• alrey

48 gb is their anti-torrent strategy!

• l33t-g4m3r

Ah, an Origin apologist. Let’s see if you have any valid points:
    [quote<]"What's the problem?"[/quote<] 35 GB of uncompressed audio. Duh. That wouldn't fly over steam, for various reasons. [quote<]"nice to have all (or most all) of my games in one place"[/quote<] Do you know how nonsensical that statement is? Origin was VERY LATE to the digital distribution party. If you bought any games digitally before origin, or even HL, chances are you are already using BOTH steam and Origin. That statement applies to ME, not you. Not to mention EA games have been pretty poor lately, and amount to nothing more than cheap console ports with excess drm and dlc. After Sim City and "winning" the worst company in America award twice in a row, how can anyone be stupid enough to continue supporting such a bad company? I dunno, but you people are the main reason why EA has not improved, because you keep paying for their garbage. [url<]http://consumerist.com/2013/12/30/is-ea-due-for-a-third-worst-company-in-america-crown/[/url<]

• auxy

[b<]This is horseshー.[/b<] Absolutely unacceptable. The 35GB of uncompressed audio, that's irritating, and stupid, but what's truly unacceptable is Respawn's rationale for it. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not buying this game anyway because it's on Origin, but I'm never going to buy ANYTHING from Respawn until they own up to what absolute garbage their excuse is. I'm just flabbergasted. I'm horrified. I'm absolutely dumbstruck at how insanely, unbelievably moronic and just, UGH! I can't even describe the emotions I have at this. [b<]You shouldn't buy this game either, whoever you are.[/b<] I don't care how cool you think it is. The developer is disrespecting you, personally, as a consumer, by assuming you are too stupid to see their lies for what they are. [b<]DO NOT BUY THIS GAME![/b<]

• auxy

No. Nobody uses MIDI anywhere these days outside of recording studio.

• Hattig

I imagine that it’s down to multiple channels of audio – the XBox One can decode 512 compressed audio samples at the same time because of the TrueAudio hardware block it includes. I guess that the game has very immersive environments with lots of audio going on (mixing tens of dozens of samples at the same time), not just a soundtrack and narration/cut scenes. OTOH why not just increase the minimum specs for the game?

35GB is a lot of audio, regardless. Edit: Seems this is due to supporting multiple languages. Only installing what is required shouldn’t be rocket science these days, but EA/Origin has somehow pulled defeat from the jaws of victory.

• southrncomfortjm

What’s the problem? The game runs. Would I rather have it on Steam? Yeah, but its just nice to have all (or most all) of my games in one place. Otherwise, I just double click and icon and the game just runs.

• southrncomfortjm

Bought the game, installed it to my 500gb SSD and haven’t thought about the install since. No, not everyone has the cash to install a 500gb SSD, but then again, not everyone can buy a Ferrari, but they can still get to work.

I’d consider this 35gb of uncompressed audio an “interesting” design choice, footnote it, and move on. What should everyone be concentrating on? If you get past the BS and complaints being posted everywhere, the game is actually very fun.

Multiplayer only? Big deal, the MP is fun.
    Only 6v6? Yeah, but the maps rarely feel empty, and its actually pretty nice to not get shot every time I turn a corner.
    CoD with mechs? Kinda, but I don’t remember being able to double jump and wall run in CoD… or ever having fun with CoD at all.
    Bots? Good fodder to shoot while I’m wall running and double jumping my way onto a titan.
    35gb of uncompressed audio? At least the game sounds amazing – the guns all have satisfying, visceral sounds.
    Ugly textures? If you stop long enough to examine the textures, you are dead. Then you’ll have tons of time to examine them.

I’ll probably get downvoted for this, but seriously, take a step off the bashing train for a moment and examine the game while actually trying to give it credit for delivering a *fun* experience. Otherwise, just move on.

• FireGryphon

Is MIDI still used in games these days at all?

• l33t-g4m3r

Are people still buying games over origin? There’s the problem right there.

• l33t-g4m3r

Bull. I used to listen to mp3’s on a 300mhz single core cpu while playing quake.

This is just bloat for the sake of bloat, or the developer avoiding license fees. Games need to start using high quality / lossless open compression for all their assets. OGG is good enough for game audio, and that’s been used for a good while.

• JustAnEngineer

90% of my games run off of a 3.0 TB 7200 rpm hard-drive. They simply won’t fit on the SSD in this system.

• Klimax

Sure thing, move bottleneck from a core to I/O subsystem. Make sense…

Or maybe somebody sucks…

• Klimax

I’d like to know what the hell they are doing, that C2D wouldn’t cope well with audio.

• Klimax

Because that cpu is weaker then i3…

• sschaem

Just to echo everyone… What a load of bs. Sad those guys lie in our faces like that.

So the install should really be at max ~18gb and I can only guess that they took shortcut elsewhere and the install could probably be under 10gb.

Ssd are at ~50 cents per gig. So 24$ of storage Is required for this botched PC instsall.? Pass…

• Diplomacy42

every gun in the game has a minimum of 2hrs of unlooped audio.

• Diplomacy42

lots of people. I’d say 2/3rds of my games are downloaded on my PC HDD.

• Diplomacy42

the bitching wasn’t really about the disks, it was about the powergrab on MSFTs part. Disks, especially BD are quite slow and are only a touch better than my weak-sauce ISP connection, but disks can be sold and resold. Digital games cannot, and unlike digital games on the PC, MSFT controls the only gateway on the Xbone. If diskless had gone through there would never, ever, have been another unapproved sale, ever again. Games would have probably been put on some kind of price schedule, MSFT would have taken more dev profits for themselves. It would have been ibooks price fixing all over again.

that’s why people bitch about diskless.

• ztrand

sure 15 *channels* is not enough but most of what is played in those channels are short sound effects, not music.

Short sound effects can be decompressed into memory once on level load and kept there while you play. Continuous background decoding is only needed for large files where you can’t keep the result in memory, like music tracks. I have a hard time believing they need more than 2 or 3 simultaneous decodes running which in no way taxes even an old desktop core.

• ztrand

I just last week did a POC on android decoding mp3 to pcm (wav) and on a shitty old galaxy 2 it runs at around 7x realtime in Java, probably double that if running native in C.

I have a hard time imagining what they could be doing with the audio to require a noticeable chunk of a desktop core which is probably 10 times faster than the exynos in the G2.

• Diplomacy42

Q1: how many dual core PCs are there a) playing titan-fall and B) sitting on a couple of 4tb HDDs attached to a middle-to-high tier cable connection?

Q2: why couldn’t they do both? The difference between 48gb and 52gb is practically nothing, but if there were 2 sets of redundant files that could be deleted or (gasp) not installed if they weren’t needed… was that really so hard?

Q3: titanfall is the first game in the last 7 years to target “low to mid range” cpus? cuz everybody else seems to run decompression (with varying levels of success). i’m confused. if it is so taxing, what has this massive audience of titanfall playing PC gamers been doing before now? playing bejeweled on popcapgames.com? oh wait! they run audio compression too…huh.

Q4: I have this hypothetical dual core computer. It can’t decode a movie, let alone an MP3. Am I right in assuming that I am ready to play titanfall?

• Diplomacy42

Oh God.

• Choz

From some of the comments here one would think that some of you believe that a developer would bloat a console port in order to try to push people away from PC and to a console. Surely such a thing would never happen!

• Sanctusx2

Except, this doesn’t work for Titanfall. Redditers already tried to look at this, but it turns out almost all the game assets are in several large monolithic files. You can’t break them apart right now.

• SoM

that’s a lot of FLAC

• PixelArmy

Remember these disc thingies that everyone bitched and moaned for when the XB1 was announced?

These “average Joes” have consoles and will just buy the game on disc… The game is also available for PC on physical media…

• Bensam123

That’d be it.

• Deanjo

[sarcasm]
    Tsk, tsk, tsk…. it’s really sad that the modern day PC has such trouble playing back compressed audio. Perhaps game developers should realize that Macs don’t have such issues as even in 1998 the 233 Mhz G3 Bondy Blue iMacs running Mac OS 8 were commonly found mixing away mp3’s at the night clubs…..
    [/sarcasm]

• xeridea

By 15 I was saying realtime compression, and just guessing, it is probably higher. Decompression takes only a minute fraction of the CPU times as compressing. Blizzard games good example for this, their system requirements are never anything close to cutting edge.

• maxxcool

Because who in their right mind games on a mechanical drive if they can afford a 100$ sad…

• maxxcool

Indeed…. +1

• CuttinHobo

If they’re trying to make it inconveniently-large for the pirates, I think the l33t hax0rz are a little too crafty for that.

• puppetworx

I tried MPC-HC, same method as before, core utilization was at <5% no matter if playing wavs or mp3s! I had no idea VLC was so inefficient, thanks for the heads up.

With this in mind the game developers story clearly doesn’t add up.

• LostCat

I believe all Xbox One games require install to the HD.

• Haserath

Can’t I just turn on my floor heater and warm the sound waves as they travel to me?

• jackbomb

You need to switch to foobar2k for audio playback. On a PIII-S @ 1.8GHz, a 320K MP3 uses such a small amount of CPU time that Task Manager (WinXP, btw) just shows 0% CPU usage throughout the entire song.

• fhohj

I don’t… what?

A PC that cannot decode the compressed audio quick enough without completely disrupting the simulation of the rest of the game, in 2014

cannot play Titanfall to begin with.

but that aside, usually in these types of programs, the audio is decompressed at load time and then kept in memory, so it just ends up the same way albeit probably being a bit smaller than the equivalent pcm format due to having the waveform manipulated with some frequencies taken out entirely or simplified or substituted or imitated somehow. But as far as cpu use in concerned, it’s just a slightly longer load time. Now you would think that would be bad except that loading a huge file from slow IO is gonna take up a ton of time reducing the impact to decompress the smaller one.

I think this has maybe more to do with infrastructure problems with supporting libraries and development environments that can cause programming problems that easily result on performance problems in games or increase difficulty for the programmer in order to mitigate those deficits.

So basically, flac or ogg might not be ideal for the context of game development or their developer infrastructure may not be so, and they didn’t want to do the work to implement something that would be as smooth sailing as would wav.

Or other, more nefarious reasons to do with data caps on the side of the ISPs wants or on the side of the publishers.

Or other nefarious reasons with not wanting to pay for license and not wanting to proliferate free technology without pissing of those of proprietary stuff.

Could be they wanted lossless audio so therefore compression wasn’t feasible

[url<]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=92235[/url<] except that flac uses less cpu than oggvorbis does. ignore the red numbers in those graphs, they are screenshots of the cpumonitor phone program which is a realtime cpu monitor applet. the phone in question was a nokia n79, running symbian OS.

• Musafir_86

-Try using MPC-HC (or MPC-BE), or use any of these decoders: [url<]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Best_MP3_Decoder[/url<] and report back the results. Regards.

• HisDivineOrder

It’s really tragic they’re hobbling the masses to gain a few more low end users whose systems can’t even handle the AUDIO of the game.

Seriously, if your PC can’t handle the audio, it probably can’t handle the rest. Just take it out back behind the shed, close its eyes, and tell it sweet stories of yesterday just before you pull the trigger.

But pull the trigger.

• swaaye

I wouldn’t be surprised to find some today. I found some in a few games from around 2006 for example when I was extracting some source audio files once. It’s not that easy to notice 22kHz audio just by listening so I don’t think it’s a big deal anyway. Especially if the game is mixing and outputting at 44.1 / 48kHz, and there are 44/48kHz samples mixed in too. Compression artifacts are much more annoying to me.

• Ustauk

Not rushing to get Titanfall yet, but when I do,
    a) I’ll install the game on my mechanical drive
    b) copy everything from Titanfall folder except for the audio files to my SSD
    c) shutdown Origin
    d) rename the copied folders and files on the hard disc so I have a backup version of them
    e) [url=http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/<]Create symbolic link[/url<] shortcuts on the HDD to the non-audio files and folders on the SSD that match the original folder structure and folder/file names. I've already done this for my complete Battlefield and Call of Duty folders (since I grabbed an SSD late, haven't installed my OS on it, and didn't want to bother reinstalling/moving my Steam and Origin install directories), and it works well. If your Origin folder is already on your SSD, a) find out the subfolder under the Origin folder where Titanfall will be installed b) create a folder on your HDD before you install Titanfall c) create a symbolic folder link with the correct name on your SSD under the Origin folder d) install the game to the link (which will place it on your HDD) e) shut down Origin f) remove the link on the SSD g) create a folder with the correct Titanfall install folder name h) copy everything [b<]except[/b<] the large audio files to the folder on the SSD i) create symbolic links to the large audio files on the HDD in the right spot in the SSD installation folder To sum up, if someone wants to put everything except the large audio files on their SSDs, use symbolic links. It'll be a bit of pain, but you should only have to do it once, and it should alleviate the space issue.

• Laykun

I just hope this is done as a post-download process. What’s the point in downloading uncompressed audio when you can simply decompress it from like 700mb of compressed files?

But really, if they were concerned about CPU usage they could have at least met half way with a codec that compromises a bit on space in relation to decoding CPU usage.

• moose17145

So when Vista came out hardware acceleration for audio was killed because CPUs were so powerful that we didn’t need dedicated sound cards anymore. Now suddenly calculating sound takes up so many resources that we are going back to dedicated hardware again…. My how things have come full circle…

Also… is anyone else really Krogothed with them showing all the neat new hardware accelerated audio effects they can do in games now? Just saying… pretty sure the X-Fi I still have in my computer was doing all that almost ten years ago…

SimVillage cares not for your 200k+ populations.

Also, bugs are by design, you’re playing it wrong.

THE GAME NOW WORKS PERFECTLY SHUT UP NOW.

• Meadows

15 tracks is insufficient, especially for an online shooter. Even low-end mixing must support at least 32 simultaneous sounds to avoid missing or truncated audio playback.

By the way, some games (for example Blizzard games) support up to 128 simultaneous sounds — completely in software — and they don’t seem to burn up anyone’s CPU in the process.

• Meadows

What are you talking about? This *is* true audio.

• vargis14

Yep back in the day of single core CPU’s a discrete Sound card not only gave you much better sound but a good 10-15% in frame rate since the audio was offloaded from the CPU to the Audio card.

I can not see a modern dual core with HT having a problem, let alone most of us have at least quad cores CPU’s with a good percentage have 8 threads or more.

I hope this is not because Jaguar CPU cores are very much slower then real CPU cores…yes I know Jaguar cores are real but you all know what I mean.

All I can say is it better sound freaking awesome.

• shank15217

AMD true audio where are you?

• Meadows

I haven’t heard 22 kHz audio since Q3A. It was the “high” quality setting there. The abysmal sound lives on in Quake Live today.

• ClickClick5

The game has one helluva soundtrack apparently.

• ClickClick5

32bit WAV files at 192KHz. “Oh yes, we can make the data that large.” – Respawn

If I remember correctly, I tried saving a 3~5 min song in that format for kicks and it was over 700MB. That seems like just the load time to play the file through would take more resources then a small little 2MB MP3.

The console version has to be able to be played off the disc, yes? So they don’t get that luxury.

• Farting Bob

It automatically, and without any options to change, download ALL language packs. And there’s quite a few. And all are uncompressed.

• UnfriendlyFire

I thought my laptop’s Sandy Bridge dual-core i3 locked at 800 mhz (by the BIOS) when running on battery mode was slow.

Good to hear that Titanfail won’t lag as bad as Firefox or IE!

• Farting Bob

The PC version is around 22GB to download IIRC. 50GB is the install footprint.

• Farting Bob

It installs every language pack in this terribly unoptimised format which explains the huge size, because for some stupid reason it can’t just use your local language, or ask you which language you would like before install/download. So the vast majority of that 35GB of bloat isn’t actually anything you will ever need, which just makes it an even bigger waste.

Expect a patch to be released that either compresses it all like every other game out there or at least allows you to remove unneeded language packs.

• UnfriendlyFire

Wouldn’t you use a digital to analogue to digital converter then? Silly newb.

It’s not like they didn’t have the compressed assets, though. In fact, they went so far as to say that this is better for PC.

• puppetworx

Nope.

• smilingcrow

CD resolution audio is 600MB per hour so 35GB is roughly 60 Hours of stereo 44.1/16 audio.

• odizzido

I think people might be whining because they assumed that everything would be better than the console version since it was so large. High res textures, good sound(maybe flac or something), extra detail, etc.

Instead, it feels like they didn’t compress the audio just to generate hype/money, and now everyone seems to have a large install for apparently no benefit and no reason.

Of course, this is EA. People bitched about simcity when they got it, swore to never buy another EA game because of their crap, then got titanfall and bitched some more, swearing to never get fooled again. Let me explain, Simba. When we buy a shitty game, EA gets money, the money turns into another shitty game, and so we are all connected in the great Circle of Shit

• Concupiscence

You’re forgetting about the sacrifice to Lur, the twinkie-craving moon god responsible for sleepy grit in your eyes. And being sure to put the entire assembled PC upside down for 24 hours for the honey to cure. Come to think of it, I don’t even think you were there! INFIDEL!

• Meadows

Is your player set to do any post-processing at all?

• HunterZ

That was my reaction. There’s just no way that a machine that would choke on audio decoding would be significantly better at simultaneously streaming the same number of uncompressed audio files from a hard disk.

Also, most games have used some form of audio compression for over 15 years now, and PC games have never really depended on hardware for audio *decoding* (just for mixing and effects until powerful multi-core CPUs came along).

• Crackhead Johny

Learn to overclock noob!
    All you have to do is move around some jumpers and repurpose a heat sink from a RISC machine, then put electrician’s silver paste between it and the CPU as the thermal interface! How hard is that? It shouldn’t take you more than 50 tries and a gallon of tears to get the job done… Unless you forget the saying “Black next to black or the motherboard goes back”.

• Firestarter

I know, but he was implying that using high quality audio would somehow use even more CPU resources than using heavily compressed MP3s or OGGs. Yeah it might cost more when mixing the channels if you’re using a higher sampling rate/bit depth, but that is true regardless of what compression method you use.

AFAIK most games do voices and stuff like that in mono MP3, AAC or OGG, at bitrates somewhere in the 64 to 128kbit range. And nobody ever gave a ****

• Wirko

Some globalisation is good. None of us is as stupid as all of us!

• Krogoth

1.) They need to fire their audio engineer(s). If it is the case

2.) Publishers are just making excuses for bloatware. The game was rushed out the door to meet post-winter sales and beat upcoming summer blockbusters.

• yogibbear

It feels like they didn’t even try to make the PC version, as they’ve stuffed up such a simple thing as using too much space. I’m not downloading this game as it’s half my download quota. Call me when there’s a high resolution texture pack & a compressed audio file version.

• Narishma

The Xbox 360 can decode audio in hardware, and even if for some reason they didn’t want to use the hardware acceleration, it still has 6 threads, which is more than enough to take care of it.

• Bensam123

It is curious where it’s all going. Even if they’re using uncompressed .wav files, it definitely does not seem like there is 35GB worth in there.

• Bensam123

Add this in there with why they’re using the Source Engine over the Frostbite engine in a game that includes tons of close quarters action in giant robots…

At least the game play is pretty solid, if not the engineering talent. Minecraft was the same way.

• swaaye

I’ve seen wave files used for games in the fairly recent past, indeed to reduce CPU overhead. It might also be 22kHz sampling rate for even less load. Of course as you go back in time, there is even less compression used.

But 35GB of audio? What?

Yes, 48GB fits on the DVD9 for the Xbox 360.

Even the Xbone version is only 17GB to download – 1/3 of the PC version. Your bitching does not compute.

• Cannonaire

NO! Minimal electrical resistance sounds too HARSH! You need a cable with harmonic resistance characteristics to make sure your ones and zeros have that WARM sound to them.

• rodalpho

I agree that it would be much better than uncompressed raw audio, but FLAC still consumes 3x the space of something like a 192kbps MP3 or OGG. But more importantly, the quality differential between lossless and lossy audio simply does not matter in a videogame.

• yogibbear

No it doesn’t The game still breaks down to complete fail beyond 200k+ populations in all the same never ending bugs of suddenly 0 tourists, or 0 jobs, or 0 education etc. even though you provide all the right shit. The simulation just seemingling goes from everything is going great to instant fail and rolls a random no. on some weird shit.

• yogibbear

CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT CONSOLE PORT

Did you HEAR the warning signs?

No high res. textures, in fact they look crap-tacular.
    Terrible download compression.

Did they even try?

• UnfriendlyFire

Moron. A true speaker wire uses carbon nanotubes for minimal electrical resistance!

• UnfriendlyFire

My ISP has a 250GB data cap. And the SSD in my laptop is 120 GB.

Please buy me a 1 TB SSD, and I’ll upvote you.

• bowman

So when will modders let us compress this audio and run it properly so we can actually fit this dumb game on our SSDs?

Wow, this is so amazingly dumb I’m awestruck.

• Toastywheatman

I used Winamp to playback 128/160/192 kbps stereo VBR mp3 streams over shoutcast on a Pentium 100. I remember it taking slightly more than half the CPU. And there was a special integer mode mp3 decoder that could playback 128kbps mono mp3 audio stream on my 486-dx2-66 in DOS.

This developer is full of ***t.

• Concupiscence

That depends on what VLC’s doing. If it’s transparently thunking 16-bit VBR MP3s to, say, 32-bit floats before playback, that could explain the CPU spiking… or if some kind of post-processing’s going on.

• Concupiscence

It’s really baffling. As far as I remember Unreal Tournament 2004’s sole nod to multithreading was in its audio decoding engine, which dedicated a thread to decoding Oggs and a thread to playback, or something like that. On CPUs with hyperthreading or multiple cores it amounted to something like a 10-15% speedup under most circumstances. With all due respect, what the hell is Titanfall DOING with audio?

• Billstevens

They shouldn’t have even told us that information, its just upsetting…

Most PCs dont even have sound cards or have crappy PC speakers. Amazing audio is just not a selling point and certainly no reason for me to give up an extra 10 gigs of storage space on a precious SDD drive.

• xeridea

If they are targeting low end systems, wouldn’t several gigs of uncompressed audio loading from 5400 RPM drive, and then into limited amounts of RAM make it run slower?

The decompression can’t take up that much CPU time, I remember on my XP 2100+ I could compress to MP3 from CD at about 7x. This means that a modern low end CPU should be able to simultaneously compress about 15 tracks on a single core in realtime. Decompressing is always far less CPU overhead in any application.

• ET3D

They should at least make it optional, an add-on pack for those who want it. It can’t see how forcing an extra 35GB download/disk space on people who don’t need it (which would be most people) is wise.

It feels like they used just one compression, which the Xbox has, and instead of implementing another compression method for the PC they chose to ship uncompressed.

• Firestarter

joke is on you, decompressing FLACs takes even less CPU than decompressing MP3s or OGGs

• Rectal Prolapse

Is VLC that poorly coded to need 30% CPU for 5 mp3s???!!!

• Rectal Prolapse

WD and Seagate executives are high-fiving each other as we speak!

• Sunburn74

I heard most of that audio is language packs

• superjawes

Indeed. It was intended, but I could not get the intersecting section any smaller.

• Terra_Nocuus

Remember the part in Half Life where you had to sneak past the three tentacles in the rocket engine test area? Whenever those things would attack, my machine would hitch and lag for 1-3 seconds, in time with the sound effects.

I wonder if Respawn had something similar happen when using compressed audio on older machines.

• Meadows

We won’t know until tomorrow, the sun’s not up anymore.

• ermo

If you’re only “installing once and playing many”, Titanfall sounds like a perfect excuse to get an additional Crucial M500 240GB?

… I’ll get my coat.

• Sanctusx2

I guess I won’t even need to switch to Turbo mode on my 486!

• UnfriendlyFire

Lossy compression.

Save audio files as MP3, at a reasonable bitrate. Problem solved.

I remember reducing a 5 GB Windows Media Video to a 500 MB MP4 video, with no noticeable changes in the video or audio. I have no idea why the compact camera uses WMV.

Also, the Titanfail developers are retards. I think they’re too lazy to save the 35 GB of audio files into a more compressed format.

• Firestarter

I have 0 spinning platters in my gaming computer, do I really need to start shopping for one just to fit a needlessly large game on my SSD?

• chuckula

Given that statement, would Krogoth potentially be impressed by the level of ridiculousness for this story?

Oh wow, that’s surely set a new record for “best wealth redistribution tool” in the field of audiophile gullibility.

• Meadows

While decoding compressed audio does indeed use CPU resources, this news item is easily the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in the past 10 years, if not ever.

• orik

It should be noted that when you download Titanfall for the PC you’re downloading the game in ten different languages because Origin doesn’t support default language settings.

If this game was on Steam you could download the game in your language only and it would probably drop to about 20GB from 48.

• chuckula

It makes me happy to know that there are idiots on both sides of the pond.

Wait, wait, wait – there’s an Xbox 360 version. And that thing is supposably (and probably) weaker than any of the minimum requirements. So does it ship on 4 DVD9s? Does it leave out tons of audio? Or does it – most likely – use compressed audio on the disc?

• bean7

Could. not. believe. $2700 for a 1m ethernet cable? (Doesn’t even say whether it’s Cat5 or Cat6, not that it would matter…) Does anyone buy these things?

I love that their “Cable Doctor” recommendation form asks you to fill in your audio setup and the approximate value of each component. They must need that info to help them recommend the cables that will give them the most value for your money.

• nanoflower

I would hope that is exactly what they did. Test with the compressed audio on 2.4GHz C2D (their slowest recommended Intel solution) and found that it wasn’t capable of keeping up in all situations so they went with uncompressed audio. I don’t know anyone that has tried the game on one of the low end systems yet to see just how poorly it performs. If it is barely maintaining 30 FPS then I could see where they thought handling compressed audio would be an issue.

24-bit audio isn’t absolutely necessary, but some people will be able to perceive a difference – 16-bit audio has a maximum dynamic range of approx 96dB, and 24-bit audio 144dB. According to [url=http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/earsens.html<]this at Georgia State University[/url<] it claims that human hearing can have up to 130dB dynamic range. I'll agree with you on 96kHz - half that is certainly "good enough". And this is why when I record audio, I always do 24-bit, 48kHz, and then if I export for CD I'll dither to 16/44.1.

• ClickClick5

Well I’m glad Titanfall will run on my Pentium MMX 233MHz and Voodoo. This was keeping me up at night.

• Damage

Brain stuff, probably.

• ClickClick5

How old is their decoder?

• puppetworx

It just occurred to me that perhaps they couldn’t get audio to sync up when it was offloaded to another thread so in order to reduce load in the main thread they opted for uncompressed audio…

• Parallax

So… are textures uncompressed as well?

• MadManOriginal

Umm…so why not just have an option for compressed audio with a lower install footprint? 256k mp3 compression takes a fifth of the space of CD quality audio, and less than half the space of lossless FLAC.

• puppetworx

As an experiment I fired up 5 mp3 songs concurrently in VLC and set their affinity to one core on my [email protected]. The core in question rose to over 30% utilization. I then tried the same with 5 wav songs, core utilization was around 20%. Not much of a saving there so that makes the reason they give puzzling, hopefully we’ll get a better explanation.

• Ringofett

Okay, so lets say their nonsense suggestion is correct, a full modern core is needed to decompress audio on the fly.

SO WHAT?! I’ve got 3 more perfectly capable, usually underutilized cores, plus hyperthreading. Come at me, bro.

Especially since my 128gb SSD already feels squeezed, and has for a long time. But even upgrading to 256gb would still get hit hard by a 48gb beast. 512gb drives have come down a lot in price but still a little spendy, IMO 256gb is still the mainstream sweetspot, as 128gb once was.

• Sanctusx2

I run a fileserver and an SSD-only setup on my desktop. Installing a noisy mechanical drive in my perfectly silent computer was not an option.

I requested a refund after wrestling with the install for a few hours. After finally getting it installed and not being able to even update my video driver due to lack of free space, I just gave up. I was already pretty bare bones, with the essentials I needed for work and only my current active games. Not enough room to install an updated driver told me I’d probably never be doing much installing of anything in the future as long as Titanfall was there.

So refund it was. I’ll consider buying it again once they’ve figured out a better solution. An order of magnitude larger than other game installs is not a reasonable request.

• redpriest

I think you guys are all kind of missing the point – I’d trust the engineer at his word that they probably profiled it and figured it was an okay trade-off to make, given time/resources.

Yes, I’m sure it’s not breaking the performance budget on “modern CPUs” when run in isolation – but when you’re trying to supply at least a 60Hz experience, you really don’t want any hitching, which could happen when you have a lot of things happening at once. I’m sure that it’s probably okay 80% for compressed audio on their low-spec machines a (core 2 duo at 2.4 ghz – this is an 8 year old CPU at this point), but that 20% was maybe too much.

Would it have been nice to have an option to leave it compressed? Sure. We all like options, and maybe they’ll add it in the future, but they needed to hit their ship date with as little bugs as possible and I don’t doubt that this was on the chopping block.

• Ringofett

So they compress the audio (presumably lossless) for download, then decompresses it on your drive? Heh, one step forward, two back.

• cynan

Just make sure you’re using [url=http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-sarum-ethernet-tuned-aray/<]one of these[/url<] when you download the install image to ensure you don't miss out on any of that lossless audio goodness.

• keltor

With Miles and pretty much every game audio middleware on the market, they are actually faster in handling the compressed audio and only unpress at the last moment. The compressed audio format they use is designed so you can do most “effects” without having to deal with the decompression like this guy is somehow claiming.

I’m betting the extra throughput of the INSANE amounts of audio 35GB – that’s 59 HOURS of audio (assuming [email protected]) . Or they did something REALLY REALLY dumb like [email protected] with 8 channels of audio for every single effect which would give you only like 2.5 hours. Given the dumb response, this is actually probably what they did.

• jensend

[url=https://techreport.com/news/26091/titanfall-requires-48gb-of-storage?post=803025<]Hah! I knew it'd be something like this![/url<] Any modern CPU decodes stereo FLAC at 400x realtime on a single core. Lossy transform codecs tend to take more but you're still looking at 200x realtime for stereo on one core of a weak CPU. Even if you're decoding multiple voices this is not a significant drain. For very frequent sound effects it may not make sense to have to decode them every time- you could keep your most frequent effects uncompressed or have a cache of decoded effects. But there's simply no way on earth it makes sense to leave 35GB of audio uncompressed for a game. These guys are in denial.

So these older systems that probably came with 250-500gb of hdd space have plenty of slow-ass storage that’s not a bigger bottleneck than decompressing audio? Is that the trade off here? This seems silly. Should be re-released with 10% of the space used for audio.

• Zeratul

24bit/96khz Is totally and absolutely unnecessary. The human ear can’t take advantage of the extra frequency and dynamic range, and neither can most speaker systems. In fact, trying to playback the inaudible frequencies up to 40+ khz often adds distortion to the AUDIBLE frequencies, defeating the whole purpose.

24bit/96khz is useful for music recording and production, because it allows much more headroom for mixing, editing, simulating effects, and layering tracks without the noise becoming a major issue when you layer 120 separate tracks onto one output file. But once you’ve produced the output file, CD quality (16bit/44.1khz) is mathematically perfect for listening and playback.

• JosiahBradley

So next generation it supports every generation!

• drfish

Titanfail?

• mczak

Assuming this is standard 16bit 44kHz (or 48kHz) audio that would give crappy audio quality :-). So better make that 32GB to delete or so…
    I don’t really buy the argument this is due to “audio decompression” using a lot of cpu time. mp3 decoding is hardly noticeable on modern cpus. Sure if you’d needed to decode 100 channels at the same time it would get noticeable but that shouldn’t be necessary.
    Maybe they meant “prerendered” audio instead so they can cut the positional audio calculations? This at least would potentially use noticeable cpu time (and is what AMD TrueAudio could accelerate).

• willmore

Considering the issues they have under Linux, I’m not sure I’d advocate the use of Miles anymore.

Nice, but you accidentally allowed the circles to intersect.

• willmore

I do remember a Pentium 200MMX was able to decode mp3 at 44.1K/16/stereo with about 25% CPU useage. Processors have gotten more efficient since then and a good deal faster. One core should be able to decode a few *dozen* streams in real time. What the hell is wrong with this developer?

Hey, I hear Simcity runs okay now, but people are still waiting for the game to be relabelled to Not-Actually-Simulating-At-All-Village.

• bittermann

That has to be one of the stupidest official reason’s I’ve ever heard. There needs to be some better thought out decisions made over there.

Not as hard as I am laughing at the old OCZ ones though 😉

• flip-mode

Ugh. Either that’s good trolling or poor thinking. Just because you can pick one up for cheap doesn’t mean a thing. Average Joe’s can pick one up but don’t know how to install it. The case may not have room. The PSU may not have spare plugs. Then there’s getting the game to install to that drive while the OS is on a different drive. Or even worse, reinstalling your entire system on the new hard drive. To non-techie people these things are huge problems.

Then there’s the hypocritical stance that they’re targeting “older PCs” with slow processors – well what about older PCs without huge hard drives?

Then there are the enthusiasts with SSDs who don’t want a 50GB install.

DancinJack’s point is excellent too.

Also, there are many people that still have no access to decent internet service that are going to be downloading this for five days.

• BiffStroganoffsky

I’m pretty sure your neighbors in the next trailer agree. ‘Mighty fine set of Altec Lansings cousin.’

• MrDweezil

Pretty sure the download was compressed. The installation process involved a lengthy stage of unpacking audio.

• LostCat

It’s a 21GB download.

• flip-mode

I’ve got the next generation 3DNow&Later.

• flip-mode

If that is the truth then the truth is stupid.

• Flying Fox

Those SandForce-based SSDs are probably laughing at us.

• Wildchild

How about compressing all that audio and then running some benchmarks to see if there is any difference? I’m talking about Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2 systems as well because these are probably the kind of systems they’re referring to.

• Thorburn

I’d be surprised if the download itself isn’t compressed.

• superjawes

[url=https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/edit/428dbc20-531f-4308-94dd-36a10a0086db<]On lossless audio in Titanfall...[/url<]

• albundy

thats why you need the 3DNow FTW!

…he says, plugging his made-in-China iPhone earbuds into the platinum-plated port of his swarovski-bejeweled $75,000 amplifier.

• TwistedKestrel

I thought this was basically a solved problem? A heck of a lot of developers will use Miles Sound System, which supports a lot of ways of handling compressed audio – including their own Bink Audio which is supposed to be low resource. I’m not at home so I can’t check the credits to see if they are already using it in the game anyway, but all the FMVs were using Bink video, soooo….

• Igor_Kavinski

Sounds like a lame excuse just for filling up a 50GB Blue-ray disc. They better give us some concrete benchmark numbers before anyone’s gonna believe their horse****. A PC slow enough to have trouble with decoding audio would also perform poorly in just about every other department. Who the hell would want to game on such a PC? What was their baseline system? A Pentium MMX?????

Waiting on the mod that adds MP3 support so that I can delete 34.5GB of audio from my SSD.

• lilbuddhaman

Do you really need lossless for a guy yelling “NOW TAKE OUT THAT GUNNER, PILOT!” ?

• DancinJack

48GB of their monthly usage cap, I presume.

• Symmetry

Because it takes longer to download, and because I want to put games on my SSD so they load faster.

• mhaner

You can pick up a 1TB drive for the cost of a game nowadays why are people whining?

• rodalpho

Who cares? Lossy compression at reasonable bitrates is fine for a videogame. Heck, it’s perfectly fine for music for most people.

• chµck

Those are “compressed” in the same way you “compress” a tree by lopping off branches.
    Unless you have a dedicated soundcard for 24bit/96khz lossless decompression, even your modern CPU will need much more than 1% dedicated to audio.

• jstern

MIDI is the best. And I don’t mean MIDI from the 90s, but MIDI with modern hardware. Imagine listening to a tune with quality being equal to uncompressed audio, but taking up 3mb or so.

• TheQat

I follow their logic (Source is highly CPU-dependent, therefore free up CPU cycles where you can) but US ISPs are still capping people’s monthly bandwidth and SSD space is still at a premium. Would’ve appreciated a smaller DL/install, personally

• rodalpho

I’m more than dubious. That explanation sounds like total bull. Playing MP3, AAC, and OGG audio files consumes less than 1% of a single core on modern CPUs.

• KarateBob

If Quake III Arena told us anything, you SHOULD at least have a K6-2 with 3DNow! instructions

• Damage

Yeah, but for the K6, you really need to be at 233MHz or better to be safe.

• Sargent Duck

Ummmm….that seems sketchy. I’m gong out on a limb here and guessing that MOST games have compressed audio and slower computers don’t seem to have a problem with that.

• superjawes

“We need to do it this way because reasons!”

This argument sounds familiar…we haven’t heard a similar argument after EA bungled a previous launch, have we?

• chuckula

The uncompressed audio sounds AMAZING over my $5000 speaker wire. It’s truly worth every gigabyte.

Share this post with your friends!