Deal of the week: A microATX tower, an unlocked Haswell CPU, and more cheap SSDs

Yeah, I know, we did a deals post on Wednesday. But trust me, there’s good reason for another one. Newegg has a special coupon event with discounts on a wide range of PC hardware, including SSDs, hard drives, CPU coolers, and cases, among other gear. We’ve picked a couple of the most appealing items from that sale and added a few others, as well.

• Crucial’s M500 240GB SSD is cheaper than ever. Newegg has the drive marked down to $125, and coupon code EMCPGHW22 shaves off 10%. Total price: just $112.50, or $0.47/GB. This isn’t the fastest SSD around, especially with demanding random write loads, but it’s way quicker than mechanical drives overall, and it’s a heck of a deal at that price.
  • Seagate’s 600 SSD isn’t quite as affordable as the M500, but it’s much faster overall, and TigerDirect has the 240GB version discounted to $129.99. The 480GB version is on sale for $249.99, too. Both drives are in the $0.52-0.54/GB range, which is incredibly cheap given the 600 SSD’s strong all-around performance.
  • Craving a CPU upgrade? Intel’s Core i7-4770K is $40 off at TigerDirect, bringing the asking price down to only $299.99. Coupon code YMY119992 is required for this deal, which is among the best we’ve seen for the top-of-the-line Haswell chip.
  • Corsair’s Obsidian Series 350D isn’t the smallest microATX case around, but it looks great, is easy to work inside, and can accommodate beefy hardware. It’s also incredibly inexpensive thanks to a trifecta of discounts. Newegg has a 20% instant discount, and coupon code EMCPGHW32 subtracts another 10%. Then there’s a $10 mail-in rebate, which brings the effective price down to only $61.99. That’s for the windowless version, by the way. If you want to peer at your PC’s innards, the windowed version of the 350D is about $10 more.

And now, some love for Canadian gerbils north of the border. NCIX’s spring break sale has more discounted items than Daytona Beach has drunk teenagers. My favorites include Crucial’s M500 240GB SSD for $134.99 and Corsair’s Carbide Series Air 540 case for $119.99. Acer’s 11.6" W700 tablet is also an intriguing option. The Win8 device is priced at only $399.99, but it has a Core i3 processor, a 1080p display, 64GB of solid-state storage, and a Bluetooth keyboard dock.

• MadManOriginal

The once a week deals posts miss out on some hotness. The Seagate SSD 600 240GB had a $30 MIR on the 17th and 18th, making it $100 which is the best net $/GB (inb4 MIR haters) on a good SSD I can recall, ever. The 480GB has been cheaper at Tigerdirect recently as well, I believe it was at least $10-20 cheaper recent;y.

• flip-mode

Sigh, TechReport. The mATX 350D, at 2541.5 in^3, is larger than my ATX Sonata 3, at 2461.9 in^3.

The Obsidian 350D is actually not an micro ATX case, rather, it is a broken ATX case.

• rootbear

I’ve been waiting for a good deal on the Obsidian 350D and I don’t mind the lack of window at all. Ordered.

• NeelyCam

Mmmm… that 480GB SSD sounds yummy.

Maybe they should bundle it with Titanfall.

• Deanjo

Knowing how important proper firmware is to a SSD, Seagate would be my absolute last choice in brand of SSD.

• Takeshi7

What is wrong with the firmware in the Seagate SSD?

• MadManOriginal

Dunno, it seems someone thinks that firmware issues from HDDs a few generations ago somehow equate to firmware issues with a current SSD based on a controller from another company. According to Anandtech, the LAMD controller used in the Seagate SSDs has some important advantages like being able to maintain ‘fresh’ performance even with a lower amount of empty space.

BUT HEY, SEAGAYT SUX!

• WulfTheSaxon

Or, since it’s only $10 less than a pair of 240 GB drives… How about some [url=http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5877/seagate-600-series-240gb-raid-0-ssd-report/index.html<]RAID 0 fun[/url<]?

• slowriot

I can forgive the 350D’s size at that price. [s<]Though it's a bummer the window-less version costs more.[/s<]

• Voldenuit

The windowless one is the cheaper one.

I just bought a Silverstone PS09B for $39 recently, much smaller than the 350D but build is not as good and its small size and lack of accessibility mean it’s not as friendly to inexperienced builders.

It’ll swallow a 14″ graphics card, though, and has 4 3.5″ bays. That’s impressive.

• JustAnEngineer

You said yourself that your build would have been [b<]much easier[/b<] if you had followed the careful assembly instructions that Silverstone included with your compact micro-ATX case. Your Phillips screwdriver is still going to get a workout, but at least you won't have to undo and re-do work if you follow the correct sequence.

• Voldenuit

Actually, I haven’t built it yet (stupid UPS is being slow to deliver my CPU and PSU, boo!). But I know from experience with building other systems that the Silverstone PS09B will be a tricky case to build in, because of its small size and intersecting component paths – I’ve mocked up where the major components go, and the hard drives will be tricky to install/remove with a fully loaded system. I’m hoping you’re being ironic about the ‘careful assembly instructions’ – the case instructions amount to a single piece of paper that tells you where the drives go. That’s it. No motherboard installation instructions, no CPU/HSF instructions (there is a backplate hole, but you have to know what it’s there for). They don’t even tell you that they included an adapter to help install the motherboard standoffs – I’ve seen people online complain that they are hard to tighten by hand, not knowing that there is an included bit driver.

There are no advice or admonitions to prewire the motherboard pinouts before installing it, no warnings that installing hard drives before the motherboard will make it awkward to get into the case (“I’ve done a dry test run, but I’ve… prematurely blown my wad”? /Tobias Funke). Someone who’s new to building cases can easily trip up on some of these steps, and I haven’t installed the motherboard yet because some have said that it’s easier to get the PSU into a completely empty case first.

While I have not personally built a system around a 350D, the ample space around the motherboard, routing holes, ample space behind the motherboard tray and the side-facing HDD mounts make it seem like it would be a doddle to build in compared to the PS09B.

Having said that, the PS09B is 1,000 cubic inches (1,000! That’s a one with three zeroes!) smaller than the 350D. The 350D is a very nice case and all, but man, it’s just silly big for a mATX case. At least it pays dividends with ease of build, but I’d rather have the compact size of the PS09B since I’m fairly certain this particular build will be reasonably stable for a while.

EDIT: To be clear, I knew pretty much what I was in for the with PS09B, and it was a sacrifice I was (and still am) willing to make for the size, sound dampening and price.

• JustAnEngineer

I did not realize that your Precision PS09 came with a [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-PS09-Manual.pdf<]4-page[/url<] assembly manual. I assumed that it had something similar to the [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-TJ08-E-Manual.pdf<]52-page[/url<] manual included with my Temjin TJ08-E.