Retail-boxed A8-7600 APUs delayed until second half of 2014

This slipped under the radar last week, but it’s notable news nonetheless. Remember that A8-7600 Kaveri APU we tested back in January? Well, it’s still not available as a retail-boxed product, and according to AMD, it won’t be for a while yet. Here’s the official word from the company, as relayed by our forums’ resident AMD representative:

Production of the AMD A8-7600 is on track and will be available first to AMD’s OEM customers in Q1 2014, to ensure the introduction of AMD based systems in Q2 2014. Additional parts of the AMD A8-7600 for PIB production will be available for sale in the component channel in 2H 2014.

Translation: the A8-7600 will hit pre-built systems this quarter, but PIB, or processor-in-a-box, versions of the chip won’t come out until the second half of 2014.

This is a bigger deal than it sounds like, since the A8-7600 is the only member of the Kaveri lineup right now with a thermal envelope below 95W. (The chip can be configured in the BIOS to have either a 65W or a 45W TDP.) For now, folks looking to build a low-power home-theater rig or the like with AMD guts may be forced to go with one of the company’s Richland APUs, which are older and slower, especially when it comes to graphical performance.

Why the delay? This latest statement doesn’t address that, but at GDC last month, I asked AMD’s Ritche Corpus about the limited availability of Kaveri APUs. I was told that demand for the chips is high, particularly in China, which Corpus called the "world’s biggest desktop market." The A8-7600’s postponed arrival as a retail-boxed chip may be bad news for enthusiasts, but it could be a sign of overall success for AMD.

• wiyosaya

In my opinion, what is going on here is that after all the reviews posted on January 17, 2014 revealed that the A8-7600 performs in many cases on par with the A10-7850K – the supposed Kaveri flagship – AMD realized that releasing the A8-7600 would be like shooting themselves in the foot. With the A8-7600 on the market, why would users spend 50% more on a processor that performs like a part that costs 33% less. Delaying the A8-7600 may push some people to buy the A10 parts. That way, AMD will end up with less “high end” parts that they can no longer sell because they are overpriced. There is, of course, no way AMD could or would admit this. Recall that most reviews stated that AMD designed their parts to perform at the TDP of the A8-7600 and succeeded.

In my case, I had planned on buying the A10-7850K for a long time for a HTPC, and I did. I went with Windows 8.1, and I am very happy with the solution using MediaPortal, a blu-ray writer for blu-ray content, and two HDHomeRun Plus tuners for OTA. I am very happy with the performance, and I would be hard pressed to notice any hiccups – the system plays blu-ray discs flawlessly.

I would now like to buy an A8-7600 to replace my internet gateway, however, I might go with an Intel part / nVidia or radeon solution instead because I really do not want to wait that long. In my case, AMD may have just lost my business. I am growing tired of AMD promising the world, and then not delivering. I almost would not be surprised to see AMD cripple the A8-7600 to preserve the “value” of the A10 kaveri parts.

• bobbyrae

On the other hand, chip sales are down year to year for AMD, so maybe they shot themselves in the foot anyway!

I, for one, have been NOT buying a Kaveri chip intentionally and patiently waiting for the A8-7600 to come out. My goal was to buy a Richland A4 as a slower backup and the A8-7600 as my main APU. But I sit here, with money still in my pocket instead of AMD’s I am running the Richland, but I’m still waiting for the Kaveri.

• Deanjo

[sarcasm]An AMD product delayed…….. wow! Who could have seen that coming?[/sarcasm]

• Xenolith

I broke down and ordered an A10-7700, and underclocked it. Not too happy with that solution, but it is the best I could do. The reason for the underclock is because of my 120 watt power supply.

• hbarnwheeler

I faced a similar situation but opted to overclock my power supply.

• Xenolith

I ran the A10-7700 at stock and then ran a benchmark. My kilo-a-watt measured the wattage at 130 watts. The power brick I am using is rated at 120 watts. Nothing caught on fire, but I can’t imagine that being good for it. But yeah, I briefly had my power brick ovarcloacked 😉

• ratborg

I think it’s disappointing that the 7600 is what they supplied to all sites to review but then only the A10-78xx’s were available (the higher price components) to buy. I can buy the high demand claim if they were delayed a little bit (say a couple of months) but now looking at six months after the review. Also I haven’t seen any pre-configured systems for sale with the 7600’s either. Maybe they are all in China or maybe they are having process problems getting the chips to run in the lower TDP thresholds.

• sschaem

GF to AMD.. “You said you where going to need that many chips… Reminder, that we make them or not, you are going to pay for it either way.. so take you chips or we sell your reserved capacity to competitors”

AMD to GF “I know, I know, but we dont need any more chips.”

AMD to the public “We cant make chip fast enough, so product for consumer will be delayed”

Does that make any sense to anyone?

How do you explain a company that delay product because of fabrication, but on the other hand get penalized for not taking delivery of enough chips as ordered. ???

Please, someone solve that mystery…

• Deanjo

[quote<]Please, someone solve that mystery...[/quote<] AMD logic, mystery solved.

• Klimax

One explanation:
      Cancelled reserved capacity, some months later get larger unexpected demand.

• ronch

What used to be AMD’s crown jewel has now turned into a knife stabbing AMD in the back. Only real men have fans, yeah, but those running GF now are frickin’ rapists!!

• Third_Eye

Mubadala Company of Abu Dhabi owns 20% of AMD shares and has 2 seats on the AMD board.

Mubadala’s owns ATIC which owns 100% of Global Foundries today.

So AMD has very little ways to maneuver.

As per the 2012 Dec WSA, AMD promised to GF that it will buy wafers worth

1.2 B USD for FY-2013
      250 M USD for Q1-2014

But in the end AMD only purchased 960M USD falling about 240M USD short on its 2013 commitments. But this time AMD need not pay fines to Glo Fo like it did in Dec 2012.

To get that treatment, GF would have expected AMD to move more products at 28nm from TSMC to GF.

• sschaem

I agree with all this.. the puzzling fact is

The A8-7600 is made at Glo Fo.. and AMD under utilized GF by a quarter billion in 2013.
        Its like AMD had nothing to manufacturer in Q4 2013 ?
        Yet, AMD tell us that they are production constrained …

“Sampling in December means that there will be no mass-produced Kaveri chips this calendar year ”

Ok. so AMD was late, missed the 2014 window for production, and had to move it to 2014.

The sad part is this this type of mismanagement at AMD is STILL happening in 2013.

Whats crazy to me is that VP/manager gives dates, and the company execute on those dates.
        I wonder how LIsu Su just was awarded 175,000 shares (option at 0$ strike) in janurary and another 100,000 at 0$ in february 2014 when she caused the company another potential financial desater .

AMD VPs awarded them self already close to 1 million shares at 0$ cost to them. in the last 4 motnth.

I wonder if AMD engineers and workers gets millions in free shares for not doing their work correctly ?

“Sorry guys, I know I said kavery was ready.. but its not.. we cant go to production ”
        “Its ok Lisa. Here is your 1.1 million bonus for Q1 2014”

• alientorni

Oh, c’mon! One if their best product in years and they keep delaying it. Remember that kaveri was first listed for the q3 of 2013 or something like that. Release the kaveri already!

• sschaem

“will be available in Q1” … Q1 is past.

This is either very old news from AMD, or time is broken again.

• faramir

Sounds like AMD really doesn’t want to make money. This is the most interesting Kaveri APU that has been reviewed thus far (especially considering its performance in 45W mode) yet AMD refuses to sell it …

• shank15217

Lol you obviously didn’t read the post.

• crabjokeman

Cheech: “How’s my driving?”
      Chong: “I think we’re parked, man.”

• drfish

Ugh…

• SonyaDMartin
    • Ninjitsu

So they’ll launch it along side Haswell’s refresh. Er… 😐

• hbarnwheeler

Would Kaveri even make sense for a (non-Windows) home-theater machine? I can’t imagine many are paying for a Windows license for their HTPCs. What is the current state of hardware video acceleration under linux?

• Deanjo

It’s getting better now that the OSS driver supports vdpau. Still not as robust and stable as vdpau on a nvidia card however.

• hbarnwheeler

That’s really unfortunate. These APUs would make for great, affordable HTPCs otherwise. By the time they are, I imagine the Haswell GPUs will have trickled down into the Pentiums and Celerons and it will be too late.

• Deanjo

If you are going after a HTPC solution that runs Linux, you are better off just going the intel/nvidia route. Not only are you going to get the best video playback capabilities but you are also going to get the best ability to game with Steam as well in Linux. The cost isn’t that much different but the intel/nvidia will definitely give you the best bang for the buck.

• ermo

Sad indeed, but undeniably true. =/

• ronch

Take your time, AMD. I’m not waiting.

I am, however, waiting for your next big x86 core announcement, whether it will be there or not.

• chuckula

So AMD is saying that they have fallen victim to the The Big In [s<]Japan[/s<] [u<]China[/u<] trope?

• willmore

Well, they did actually have a Canadian Girlfriend.
      [url<]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GirlfriendInCanada[/url<] [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Technologies[/url<]

• anotherengineer

Still waiting on the mobile Kaveri’s……………….

• UnfriendlyFire

Same here.

I want to see what Kaveri laptops are there before making my final purchase.

• brucethemoose

Same, but at this rate Kaveri will end up competing against broadwell…

• UnfriendlyFire

Broadwell is coming out in the very late 2014. And AMD would probably mention more details about Carrizo by that time.

Which means Kaveri will be competing against i3 Haswell refreshes. There isn’t really a need for i5/i7 mobiles unless if you’re doing heavy computation stuff on the go or pair the CPU with a dedicated GPU.

This is coming from a guy who uses a laptop that Samsung locked the i3 to 800 mhz to preserve battery life through a locked BIOS. I occasionally run VMWare to connect to the university’s remote destkop on the 800 mhz dual core laptop, though it takes a little while to boot up.

An upgrade to a SSD really helped.