Noctua’s new dual-fan, dual-tower NH-D15 cooler is a familiar monster

In the world of monster air coolers, Noctua’s NH-D14 is among the best. This beast has nearly a thousand reviews on Newegg, almost all of which give the dual-fan, dual-tower design a five-star rating. Now, there’s a new version dubbed the NH-D15. It’s based on the original, but the fans have been upgraded, the heatsinks have been tweaked, and a sexy promo video has been produced to show off the results.

Unlike its predecessor, which combined 120- and 140-mm fans, the NH-D15 is equipped with dual 140-mm spinners. The fans are Noctua’s own NH-AF15 units; they have PWM connectors, fancy bearings, and loads of little features to improve airflow and lower noise levels. Available speeds range from 300-1500 RPM, and the maximum can be knocked down to 1200 RPM with adapters included in the box.

Despite its imposing size, the NH-D15 is still compatible with taller memory modules. The outer borders of the towers are shaped to accommodate big heat spreaders. Configurations with taller memory may be limited to a single fan nestled between the two towers, though. Detailed dimensions are available on Noctua’s site.

The NH-D15 is scheduled to be available in mid-April for $99.99. That’s a heck of a lot to pay for an air cooler, but Noctua gear tends to be beautifully made, and six-year warranty coverage is provided. Noctua has also been good about supplying users with free retention hardware when new sockets are released.

If you don’t want to wait, the NH-D15’s impending arrival seems to have inspired discounts on its predecessor. The NH-D14 is 21% off at Newegg right now, and promo code EMCPFPG48 brings the asking price down to just $72.

• Jambe

Whatever became of their fan with active noise cancellation?

/edit I mean this one: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-atLQYr14zI[/url<]

• bfar

Been rocking a D14 for the past three years. These products aren’t for everyone, but I’ve found them to be more reliable and usually quieter than AIOs.

I can easily see this lasting another 3 or 4 years if I stay on ATX.

• JustAnEngineer

Do people still buy RAM with huge decorative heatspreaders that compromises CPU cooler selection?

Just buy better memory.
    [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148662<]2x4 GiB Crucial BLS2K4G3D1609ES2LX0[/url<] [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663<]2x8 GiB Crucial BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0[/url<] These low-profile DIMMs default to PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600), CAS 9 and 1.35 V, but they include an XMP profile for PC3-14900 (DDR3-1866). That's better than the last Corsair memory I bought that claimed to be PC3-15000 but defaulted to PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333).

• davidbowser

On the one hand, that is more money than I would spend on a cooler. On the other, I have never been upset after I bought anything from Noctua.

• LoneWolf15

I’m gonna do a Krogoth on this one.

Still rocking a Thermalright TRUE Black with 120mm Scythe FDB fans in push-pull. Still happy with it.Paid significantly less.

• blitzy

The build quality of noctua stuff is sexual.. even the packaging is elegant and well thought out

• Rakhmaninov3

Looks cool except for the desert-camo color scheme

• PenGun

My Prolimatech Megahalem does a great job and has a better name!

Still keeping my i5 750 nice and cool. 23C right now and we see about 40C in full ESO, possibly not the greatest load but … cool man.

• TwoEars

CPU’s keep getting more power efficient and fans keep getting bigger.

• ronch

As if ‘normal’ tower coolers aren’t difficult enough to install…

• kamikaziechameleon

If only the fans were such an unappealing color.

I’ve always hated the colour of my Noctua fans, but they’re so good I just live with it.

It’s not like I’m a (man)child and need to have a window and flashy lights….

• blitzy

I like it 😛

• Choz

When everything else in your case is say, black, then this stands out. People might say, “Nice case but that fan stands out.”

You say, “Yes its a Noctua, it does indeed stand out.”

• UltimateImperative

Thermalright also offers similarly sized dual-tower cooler in the Silver Arrow coolers, altough they aren’t available on Newegg. I use the previous generation Silver Arrow, and although it’s not the most easy to install cooler, it’s veddy veddy quiet and it works quite well.

• Milo Burke

Does it come in black?

• HisDivineOrder

It’s about time. I read about them making an updated DH14 over a year ago and refused to buy a DH14 when I knew another was coming “soon.”

My wait has… mostly not paid off. Still, I’d hate to have old when the DH14 is ancient by now. Hopefully, in a few months, they’ll have some sales on this bad boy to get it a little lower than that $100 tag.

• oldDummy

Single click, double entry? Having trouble with my MS mouse.

• sweatshopking

I always struggle with double entry. sometimes I wonder if there is any way to only ever have one entry, but sometimes I can’t stop it. maybe if I was stronger I could keep double entry from causing me the suffering it does. BUT SOMETIMES I LOVE IT.

• maxxcool

/slap!/ /slap!/ /slap!/ SSSSSTHHHHAAAAPPPP IT!

• [+Duracell-]

That started to happen on my old G9 and is why I got a new mouse. Switch is probably dying.

• oldDummy

It’s a relatively “new” mouse. Have a Logitech gaming mouse I’ll try.
        If that doesn’t fix it will have to blame the OS …or …lack of my nervous medicine.
        [Glenlevet]

• oldDummy

Ok, I get it.
    These monsters really work to control >= 150W of heat.
    Problem is: I now consider an mATX case to be LARGE with my preference being mITX.
    With most, the PSU placement leaves little room for these tower coolers. Most have a hard time going the AIO route. Don’t know why the downward facing HSF combos are less effective, they are.
    Right now utilizing a Cooler Master mITX case so not a chance of fitting one of these into it.
    Various implementation’s of stock Intel cooler are best I can hope for…man.
    Sorry for the vent/rant.

• Spittie

Noctua does have some low-profile coolers, like the NH-L12 and the NH-L9a/NH-L9i. Obviously you can’t expect a low-profile cooler to have the same performance as an high-profile one (those two are rated at 95W and 65W, respectively).

• HisDivineOrder

This one isn’t for you. Noctua makes tons of other HSF combos for your use case, though. You’ll eventually realize that not every product made available is intended for you.

I think the same way every time I see something like Corsair H110 or or 100i or whatever. I ask myself, “Why would anyone want to buy a combo that replaces fan noise with pump noise and niggles like weight with niggles like, ‘Is my pump going to fail or the hoses going to come out and spray my PC with not-water fluid?'”

Then I remind myself. Not everyone is me. Some people like the possibility of that happening.

Just like some people like to buy mATX or mITX, unnecessarily gimp their system upgrade options, and then complain that they don’t have all the upgrade options of ATX users who endure a few extra inches of width and height.

Life’s just funny that way.

• oldDummy

Corsair makes the best AIO’s, IMO, and they work great: quiet and efficient.
        Tech in the “new” age is getting things smaller, not larger.
        Desktops are not alone in this.
        Cell phones are basically going through the same problems,
        Faster multi-core processors are forced to throttle due to the limitations of cooling.
        Wanting future solutions to todays problems now, now, now is one of my limitations.
        Then again, that is what a tech site is all about.
        😉

• smilingcrow

“Just like some people like to buy mATX or mITX, unnecessarily gimp their system upgrade options”

And some people buy ATX and unnecessarily for the options that they will never use. 😉

I totally agree with you, by the time you need an air cooler this big and heavy, you should probably be looking at an AIO watercooling kit that doesn’t hang nearly two pounds of metal and fan off your processor socket.

[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=noctua+NH-L9i&espv=2&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=u0xFU7G4GIWp0QXF7YCYAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=965<]NH-L9i[/url<] is where the cool kids are at these days; You can squeeze that baby into pretty much anything.

• oldDummy

Thanks, your the second person to recommend the L9i.

I’ll give it a go.

It’s not for overclocking; Noctua only rate it for 65W but I have it cooling a 95W chip quietly.

It’s way better than an Intel stock cooler, it’s smaller than an Intel stock cooler, and it’s quieter than an intel stock cooler. If you want to overclock without jumping to massive 140mm towers, try these two:

[list<][*<]Coolermaster TX3 - 92mm fan, won't interfere with adjacent PCI-E slot, (130W) [/*<][*<]Thermaltake NiC F3 - 120mm fan, excellent clearance, but needs 152mm height (160W) [/*<] [/list<]

• Khali

You might give the Cooler Master Gemin II line a look. I have one on a overclocked i5 and it works great.

Then again my motherboard is in a vertical position so the fan blows sideways against the cpu and the motherboard the heat then rises to get sucked out by the exhaust fan I have in the top of my case. I suspect it would not work as good with a horizontal positioned motherboard, IE blowing down, and/or no exhaust fan in the top of the case. But, I wonder if your working with a motherboard in the horizontal position if you could not just turn the fan around and have it pulling air through the heat sync from the bottom and blowing it up to the top of the case.

I like the Gemini II but I don’t think oldDummy is going to fit that in an mITX case 😛

• Khali

Probably not but it depends on the case. Some supposedly small cases are bigger than the cases in the next size class.

Specifically the Coolermaster mITX range as per his post.
            No way a Gemini II will fit in any of those because they have low cooler clearance and the drive bays overhang the RAM slots.

• JustAnEngineer

Let’s also consider the [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=368&area=en<]Silverstone NT-06 Pro[/url<] and [url=http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/big-shuriken-2-rev-b.html<]Scythe Big Shuriken 2.b[/url<] in the group of excellent low-profile coolers.

• Ninjitsu

Can all hardware promos be made like this please? There was just enough focus on everything, i felt.

• Major-Failure

It’s listed for 89 € here in Germany, around 30% more expensive than the NH-D14. I doubt it even has 5% more cooling performance, so that price seems very unjustified.

• Pbryanw

Saying that, do you get cheap Be Quiet! stuff in Germany, as they’re based over there? I’ve found Be Quiet! a good alternative to Noctua, and they work out about the same price here in the UK. Being superficial, I was put off by Noctua’s brown hues, and Be Quiet!’s black schemes seem to suit me more.

• Major-Failure

You can get a lot of Be Quiet! products and they’re definitely cheaper than Noctua.

I’ve never used them myself, but my brother has had at least one PSU and one CPU cooler. Both got louder over time and he wasn’t 100% satisfied with them.

• Pbryanw

I’m using a Be Quiet! CPU cooler which I’ve had no problems with (along with three of their case fans) but my Be Quiet! PSU did get louder over time. So much so, that I had to replace it with a quiet Corsair model. It seems worrying that that someone else has experienced this. They’re also slightly more expensive than Noctua here in the UK, but get well reviewed on our web-sites.

• Sargent Duck

I used a 120mm Noctua fan mated to a tower heatsink and was very impressed with it. Pricey, yes, but justifiable.

For that video though, they needed more camera work, zooming in and out, panning side to side a little more. They needed to put a bit more effort into that video.

• geekl33tgamer

I may not need one of these, but my overclocked FX-8350 *wants* one. Ohhh piggy bank… 😉

• Voldenuit

[quote<]I may not need one of these, but my overclocked FX-8350 *wants* one. Ohhh piggy bank... ;-)[/quote<] Save money on AMD CPU but blow it on heatsink? :p

• geekl33tgamer