4K display, Radeon GPU team up in $1,500 Toshiba laptop

With the PPI arms race raging on in the phone world, I was starting to think display makers had forgotten about laptops. Happily, that’s not the case. Earlier this morning, Toshiba announced the Satellite P55t, a 15.6" notebook outfitted with a 4K touch-screen display.

The display is of the IPS variety, and its 3840×2160 resolution works out to a pixel density of 282 PPI. That’s more pixels per inch than even Apple’s Retina MacBooks can deliver. To top it off, Toshiba claims its screen bears Technicolor certification. There’s no word on the color gamut or anything of the sort, but the company does say the Satellite P55t is "[i]deal for visual creative professionals and multimedia enthusiasts."

Under the hood, the Satellite P55t features a quad-core Haswell processor, up to 16GB of system memory, and a Radeon R9 M265X discrete GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 RAM. I don’t see that GPU listed anywhere on AMD’s website, although there is an R7 M265 with 384 stream processors and a 128-bit DDR3 memory interface. Hmm. Other than that, the Satellite P55t comes with a 1TB hard drive, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Harman Kardon speakers, and a built-in Blu-ray burner. Sadly, Toshiba makes no mention of solid-state storage in the specs list. Since this is a full-sized notebook, one would hope the hard drive is at least easy to replace.

According to Toshiba, the Satellite P55t will be available to purchase directly from the company’s website for $1,499.99 starting on April 22. (Thanks to Engadget for the link.)

• Resound

I wouldn’t buy this one in particular but I love that they’re moving in this direction. My laptop is less than two years old and still romps a long quite happily under Win 7. Give me another year or so and I’ll want this as a somewhat more mature technology so I like this timing a lot. The screen on my phone is so much better than the screen on my laptop that it’s just laughable. Time for that to change.

• burntham77

I appreciate a high-res screen, but it should be appropriate for the size of the screen. A 4K 32 inch monitor sounds like a heck of a good idea for a workstation, but 4K at 15 inches sounds like it would involve a lot of squinting.

The only thing that Oland-based R7 can handle at 4K is Farmville.

384 SPs is enough to run most of the current games fluidly at 720p, perhaps, but not 1080p. It’s certainly not going to cope at resolutions nine times higher….

• ronch

I hate it how branded computers usually come pre-installed with Windows 8. Well, I don’t want it and will just replace it, and I don’t want to pay substantial money for something that I’ll just erase and not get any use out of.

PS – waiting for the MS fanboi thumb downs…

It is certainly annoying that so many PC’s include the OS and there’s no option to buy it without the OS (and it’s associated price premium)

What if I want to use Linux?
      What if I want to use a retail copy of Windows which I have already paid for?
      What if I want a different version of Windows to what is included?

I still think that Microsoft’s “W8 sales” figures would be a tiny fraction of what they are if people actually had a choice of operating systems when they bought a new machine. I suspect for every 10 laptops bought by individuals for private use in our company, 10 users complain about W8 and more than half of them are so unsatisfied with it even after workarounds like Classic Shell that they ask the IT department to downgrade them to W7.

• danny e.

looks nice. Just make SSD and optional add-on and we’re good.
    .. or I guess I could just put one in after purchase.

• jdaven

What’s with all the $1500 prices lately?

I can buy a 4K display Toshiba laptop, Google Glass or a Radeon R9 295X2. Decisions, decisions.

I’ll take none of the above.

• moose17145

If those available options (Assuming for some weird reason none is not one of the options), I think I would go with the 295 and just break the XFire in software and run it in single gpu mode for the games that do not play nicely with XFire. But I agree that none of those options sounds particularly appealing to me either.

• Laykun

That GPU seems woefully inadequate for a 4k display. Mind you most GPUs are inadequate.

Has Toshiba improved on its build quality? I used a satellite 5 years ago and the plasticy build was just rubbish.

Still looks plastic and cheap to me.

Also, buying any PC without an SSD these days is a massive faux-pas. I’m surprised Toshiba think a mechanical OS drive is worthy of a $1500 computer.

• shank15217

What about a hybrid mechanical drive?

• UnfriendlyFire

Good enough for 4K web browsing and movies?

Gaming? Not even dual 890m GPUs could reliably power a 4K res without several graphic cutbacks.

• slowriot

Has AMD fixed their graphics switching tech yet? When I was looking at gaming laptops the HD7970M was an interesting choice given the pricing and performance. However, nearly every review (not an exaggeration) of laptops with the HD7970M noted how the graphics switching tech from AMD was essentially broken. This was reflected in product reviews on sites like Newegg and tech forums.

Has this changed?

• indeego

nm

• UberGerbil

That’s the first time I’ve seen a reference to “Technicolor” since… the 80s?

• UnfriendlyFire

I would much prefer an SSD and longer battery life.

• Whispre

Agreed.

If I somehow won this laptop as a prize… it would be listed on EBay the next day.

• Farting Bob

Well luckily for you there are hundreds of different models out there to choose from. There is no one perfect setup for everybody.

• indeego

c

• odizzido

Probably, but if that’s all that breaks it’s doing pretty good for a toshiba.

• NeelyCam

I like this. Now, put it into a 11.6″ laptop and cut the price to $1000, and we got a deal

• anotherengineer

Wouldn’t that just be an iPad with no keyboard then???? 😉

• JohnC

What a fucking waste… I don’t NEED a higher-res display on laptops, I can’t even use the “native” resolution on my latest 13″ MacBook Pro in Win 8.1 because many programs still have awful scaling issues with it. Even with non-native lower resolution (like 1920×1200 or even 1680×1050) some programs have blurry fonts and some icons and GUI elements have noticeable aliasing (which sucks but much more tolerable than “tiny everything”). And yes, I’ve tried many “band-aid” fixes like adjusting OS dpi scaling or using “disable display scaling on high DPI settings” compatibility option.

• indeego

qwd

• JohnC

Because I like the physical design, build quality, ease of dealing with customer support (all of which are unmatched by any other brand), the overall display size and I have to use OSX for certain things. And because Apple doesn’t offer non-“retina” 13″ models with Nvidia or Intel Iris GPUs anymore.

• indeego

bdvefd

• JohnC

I didn’t say they should be bent to my needs by Apple. Apple is free to use whatever specifications they deem necessary. As for specific GPU requirements – I do want these to play certain games. They are not necessity but I really like having ability to play certain games on my laptop and most of them do not perform well enough with lower-performing Intel GPUs.

• Kretschmer

I have to agree. Especially for portable gaming, I’d rather save a few bucks with a quality 1600×900 IPS than a flawless 3200×1800 monster with touch (eww, smudge) capability.

The new Razor Edge 14 is like this; jumped from a terrible panel to a retina display, with the corresponding price jump. I’m glad that the era of horrible displays is slowly on the wane, but it might be too soon to overshoot into resolution that has little benefit for the end user (and detriments, as software struggles to catch up).

• JohnC

Yea… The only company seem to stay “sane” in terms of display specs is Sager/Clevo. Their latest 13″ NP7338 seem to have acceptable display resolution, unfortunately it has its own drawbacks (it’s kinda bulky, uses regular plastic, most likely has a mediocre touchpad and battery life and I’d rather not deal with them or their resellers for warranty issues). Of course for people who don’t mind these minor issues this system would be a PERFECT “small-factor” laptop with acceptable gaming capability.

• sweatshopking

Why even bother when windows doesn’t have decent scaling?

• anotherengineer

But I heard that it’s coming in win 8.1.6 though!!!!!!!!

• sweatshopking

APIs are there now. God knows when the devs will bother. Chrome has it for the 5% of osx market, but not the 94% that uses windows?

• jdaven

Anandtech just did a story on this very issue:

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race[/url<]

• indeego

[url<]http://promotions.newegg.com/premier/14-0730/trial/index.html[/url<]

• sweatshopking

yeah. works fine on my wife’s Surface P2.

• Milo Burke

The one jdraven linked to is new.

• sschaem

Windows seem ok. but the app landscape is like the wild west ATM…

Someone need to take the ‘first’ step… So I guess Toshiba bothered.

• dragontamer5788

Windows has scaling

* All Windows Store apps
      * Win8 and Windows 8.1 supports some new APIs for Desktop Programmers to use to support DPI scaling.

Scaling has existed since WinXP, but WinXP can only switch between 96DPI and 150DPI. Programs have to be rewritten in the most modern APIs designed for these high resolution screens before they scale properly. That means building applications specifically for Win8, using the new Win8 Desktop APIs.

[url<]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn469266%28v=vs.85%29.aspx[/url<] In fact, only in Win8.1 and above does Windows support getting the DPI information directly from the monitor. [url<]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn280510%28v=vs.85%29.aspx[/url<] Windows 8.1 also added a new Win32 message to handle DPI changes without rebooting the computer. [url<]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn312083%28v=vs.85%29.aspx[/url<]

• Puiucs

i don’t even want a 1080p screen on my laptop. a 900p IPS is enough. for work i just plug in a second big screen. i usually also game a bit on my laptop and right now only the most expensive laptops can give acceptable frame rates at 1080p at low/medium settings. the battery also doesn’t last as long. DPI scaling also has issues.

it will take another 2 years at least until it will actually worth buying a 1080p laptop. somewhere around the time when windows 9 launches with better DPI scaling and dx12.

• davidbowser

I would not buy it for myself, but I like Toshiba pushing the envelope. Consumer choice and competition drive the market.

• Dashak

We’ve effectively been screaming for the death of 1366×768 for years and years, but now they jump up to “4K” while ignoring any sane resolutions and the absolute necessity of a SSD in a modern laptop? Your consumers are either insane and/or consumer choice and competitive markets have been an illusion for the entirety of the past decade.

• Prestige Worldwide

I, for one, welcome any 15.6″ laptop that doesn’t have god-awful 1366×768 resolution.

• Dizzytaz00

I agree 1366×768 resolution has been around to long.

• jessterman21

And yet – I unboxed our brand-new Dell Latitude E6440s today, and what to my wondering eyes should appear…?

• xeridea

I wouldn’t want a 4k screen for a laptop. You get into weird scaling issues, and there isn’t much of a point to having higher than 1080p. It is somewhat easier to get a 1080p 15″ laptop at a reasonable price so things are starting to change.

• BobbinThreadbare

You could run this thing at 1080p and have perfect scaling if you wanted to with the option to increase the resolution.

• trek205

I hear people make that claim from time to time but I’ve never seen it true in real life. If you run 960×540 on a 1080 screen it looks like crap. Same goes for 1280×720 on a 1440 screen. I would love to see one real life example of this magical 1/4 perfect scaling claim.

• Bauxite

It is math, it works.

960×540 looks like crap because it IS low rez crap.

• JohnC

It doesn’t really work like this. At least not on smaller laptop displays and Win 8.1.

• DarkMikaru

I somewhat agree. Would of thought that a 17.3in screen would make more sense. As someone who is doing video or photo editing would want more screen real estate. Otherwise, specs are impressive and wish them luck on this model. Good Stuff overall.

• internetsandman

I would imagine that they want to start with the most popular display size for high end laptops, then branch out to the more powerful and spacious 17″, and maybe, maybe the more portable 13″

• Neutronbeam

Here’s Alienware’s 18″ 4K machine….

[url<]http://www.maximumpc.com/pax_east_2014_intel_booth_tour_video[/url<]