New NZXT case flaunts stormtrooper looks for $70

Amid the multitudes of black, rectangular cases out there, NZXT’s Phantom enclosures are a welcome departure from the norm. The latest one, the Phantom 240, offers the same curvy, black-and-white styling as its brethren—and the requisite enthusiast-friendly amenities—at a surprisingly tantalizing price.

You might not guess the Phantom 240 costs $69.99 from looking at it. The outside is half Star Wars, half Portal, and the innards are relatively roomy and quite sensibly arranged. It features USB 3.0 front ports, a bottom-mounted PSU emplacement, cut-outs in the motherboard tray for cable routing and CPU heatsink installation, and room for six hard drives on side-mounted trays. The top three trays sit in a cage that can be removed to make way for an uber-long graphics card, too.

The only place where the Phantom 240 might be accused of skimping is cooling. It only comes with two 120-mm fans: one at the front and one at the back. A larger intake would have been nice, and it might have helped minimize dust buildup. The case can be decked out with dual 120-mm intakes and dual 140-mm exhausts up top, but you’ll have to bring your own fans.

• Aveon

I tend to hate NZXT after my LEXA S purchase . The build quality is pathetic and the external ports have rusty feel. The Connectors were so loose I had to replace em.
    The cable management space behind the right panel was so scarce It ended up with award bulge.
    The LED on the left side panel fan went out withing 3-4 months of use.

Never gonna buy an NXZT again.

• Welch

Damn, that is the first time I heard someone say that about their NZXT case. I don’t have illusions of their cases being high end, they are budget cases with looks/features. I’ve built about a dozen+ machines in the NZXT 210 Elite and it was my budget case of choice for the longest time. Never had any issues with it, although some of the top cheapo fans they came with are starting to rattle a little bit about 2 years later, but that it.

The general feel of the case materials is a lighter not as sturdy feel, I will say that, but this is also a $29.99 – $39.99 case… I’ve never spent the money on the pricier NZXT cases because for the same price the rock solid quality/warranty from Corsair beat it out in my opinion.

The Lexa used to be one of my “Dream” cases back in the day, its what got me all interested in NZXT at some point. I’m curious if the issues you had were related to the “S” version or all of the Lexa cases in general, hmmm.

• Aveon

I made my dream come true and paid for it. I had a CM 230 ELITE and I curse myself for replacing it.

• Milo Burke

I couldn’t agree more.

I had an NZXT Lexa case as well. Super expensive, over $200 including the PSU.

– The PSU it came with had power switch stuck in the on position from day two. And it died within two months.
      – The tooless hard drive system never fit properly and broke super easy.
      – The screws for the expansion card slots stripped upon first tightening, and not just one, but all of them. I replaced them with similar-sized nuts and bolts from Home Depot.
      – The fans LEDs started flickering and going dark within months.
      – Both front USB ports broke in less than a year, even though I baby my electronics.
      – The pictures look great, but the case looked plasticy and gross.
      – The front bezel literally broke off with a rather small amount of pressure. And I already mention I baby my electronics.

The case was way too expensive to be riddled with poor quality materials and poor design. Yuck. Last build, I purchased Antec. And I’ll try Corsair next time around.\

I’ll never buy NZXT again.

• Aveon

Wow I think I am lucky that half of my components are still working after 2 years .

• Major-Failure

I’ve always been wondering: how many of you like windowed side-panels and why?

• Welch

When I was a teen I liked it with UV cable sleeves and all… but then I grew up :P.

Side windows are alright, but they come with lots of issues. Scratching it for one makes it look terrible, and unless you baby the hell out of it, the window WILL get scratched and swirl marks just from wiping it down, use a very soft cloth to wipe them, not paper towels and windex :P. All around they provide for me little to no benefit with more work and aren’t practical unless you like cleaning it a lot. It also makes you go crazy cleaning your computer internally a lot so that it looks nice, which isn’t a bad thing I guess.

• Major-Failure

I hadn’t even thought about scratching the panel. My thoughts were centered around noise and EMF shielding.

Thank you for your insight.

• just brew it!

The only way I would ever own a case with a side window is if someone gave it to me for free. Which rules out the case which is the subject of this news post; but I still like NZXT’s other (non-windowed) offerings.

• zenlessyank

I like them because I can see when I need to clean out my CPU cooler/fans without having to take the side off.
      When you live in a dirty a** state like Texas, you have to stay on top of the filth removal chores.

• davidbowser

The NZXT H2 is my favorite. It has 3 built-in fans with a 3 speed switch on the case. The low speed for the fans is damn near silent and offers decent airflow. It is good enough that I run a fanless PSU and big honking passive cooler on an i5-3450S and a passive PowerColor 7750.

• Khali

Looks like the economy version of the white Corsair 600T with several limitations.

No external 5.25” bay for those of us who still have a use for optical drives. The molded plastic on the top and front has to cut down on air flow. Just two USB ports towards the front of the case.

But for the price you can’t complain, much. Just under half the price of the 600T.

• Neutronbeam

I think NZXT is definitely giving Corsair some competition, especially at that price point. As for THIS case, if it had a dedicated button connected to a speaker, and when you pushed the button it announced “These are not the droids we’re looking for” I’d be more interested–not a lot more, but a bit more. Also, if it went on sale on May 4 that would be cool too.

• just brew it!

NZXT has been doing some very affordable, yet attractive and functional cases lately. This has landed them on my “short list” of case vendors.

• lilbuddhaman

they have a ambidextrous mouse “avatar” that served me extremely well for a while, and was extremely cheap to buy. This case looks exactly like my current but white instead of black, I don’t know the model of mine off hand though.

Yeah, they used to make gaudy stuff with crazy blue lights or whatever, but I got a Source 210 Elite (which also comes in a white-and-black flavor) when I upgraded my wife’s PC and it’s really nice-looking and functional for $50. Best part – no blue LEDs. Just a white LED ring around the power button for power and a little white dot for hard drive activity.

• atari030

That’s a nicely designed, clean looking case for only 70 doughnuts. Windowed too.

• entropy13

I’d rather eat those doughnuts than use them to pay for something.

• NeelyCam

Too big

• hoboGeek

Well, to paraphrase Tony Curtis, “some like it big”.

• Ninjitsu