11.6” Transformer T200 listed in Europe

Is Asus cooking a larger version of its popular Transformer Book T100 convertible? Maybe so. A listing at French e-tailer PC21 outlines an unannounced Asus "T200TA" system with an 11.6" screen size—and a faster processor than the current, 10.1" T100.

The T200TA apparently features an Atom Z3775 processor, one of the new Bay Trail chips heralded by the rumor mill recently. The chip reportedly has a 2.4GHz Turbo speed, quite a ways up from the 1.86GHz of the T100’s Atom Z3740. There’s also 2GB of RAM, 32GB of eMMC flash storage, and Windows 8.1. The listing makes no mention of the screen resolution, battery capacity, or any other attributes.

PC21 charges €349.32 before tax for the system, which works out to around $485 in greenbacks. For reference, the Transformer T100 sells for $379 at Newegg. The pre-tax price at PC21 is about the same, so a straight-up currency conversion looks like a good indicator of potential U.S. pricing. I guess the T200 may simply carry a $100 premium over its smaller sibling.

If that premium gets us a larger keyboard in addition to the larger screen and faster CPU, I wouldn’t mind paying it. Too bad about the 32GB storage capacity, though. A little extra breathing room might be nice. (Thanks to Liliputing for the link.)

• Antias

The T100 interested me as it appears from online reviews it could play even Skyrim or dare i say it, ESO (at very, very basic settings of course)
    This peaked my curiosity as i am getting tired of lugging my m14x around the globe when on holidays (I enjoy cruising – just got back from a nice Barcelona to Athens cruise)
    Lately I’ve been taking my old Asus 1005 HAB NetBook instead – it does everything i want on it while on holidays (Facebook photo updating, banking, communication, Skyping etc) except a bit of light gaming.
    I’m not looking for a gaming laptop BUT i would be interested in one that could allow me to jump on my favorite MMO’s (or solo RPG’s) and do some crafting or solo stuff – i don’t care for the eye candy while on holiday – that’s for the big rig i have at home!

So i’m wondering now whether the larger screen and internal graphics on this may be better for my needs?
    I’ll wait and see…

• kamikaziechameleon

the t100’s were 100 dollars off at bestbuy last fall. Such a good deal!

• LostCat

Given how much I liked my brothers T100 I’m sure I’d dig it.

Would still rather have an AMD version for better video but that seems hellishly unlikely.

• sweatshopking

what’s wrong with the video quality on the t100? my clovertrail will decode 1080p just fine, bay trail shouldn’t have any issues.

• LostCat

I prefer my puters to be able to do a bit more than watch videos.

• sweatshopking

bay trail is quite capable. I would take its performance and battery life over the medicore cpu and poor battery life of amd.

• LostCat

So we have different needs. fantastic.

• sweatshopking

you need a slower, hotter, more power hungry device for your needs? what are you doing? trying to kill your battery as quickly with as little work done as possible?

IF amd had a tablet chip worth using, OEMS WOULD BE USING IT. THEY’RE CHEAPER. BUT THEY DON’T, AND THAT’S REFLECTED IN THEIR TOTAL OF 0 RETAIL DESIGNS.

your snarky answer is silly.

• LostCat

Your attitude is silly.

• sweatshopking

you’ve yet to give an example of where amd chips are more useful. the reality is that they’re slower, hotter, and more power hungry. they might have slightly better graphics, but the cpu is too slow to run much. the benchmarks for their chips aren’t great. the next gen might be better, and it looks like they are, but they don’t currently have anything worthy buying in the tablet sector. they make great GPU’s, and I hope they improve efficiency, and the deal with Samsung might help them greatly. At this point, however, I sure as heck wouldn’t recommend a single cpu they make, outside of plugged in htpc environments (I have a great laptop I picked up for 40$ on kijiji with a broken screen that I use as a htpc. it has an amd cpu with a dx11 gpu that runs beautifully)
            in your case I get the sense you just love amd, which isn’t a bad thing, but it’s not rational.

• LostCat

I do love AMD! And Intel. And NVIDIA. And MS. And lots of other companies.

I simply do not agree with you, and discussing the finer details of such wouldn’t change either of our minds.

• sweatshopking

what’s there to discuss? they do have slower, hotter chips. there’s not really much to discuss. if you have benchmarks showing otherwise, show them! I’d be genuinely interested.

I already said that their next stuff with samsungs next process might be worth buying. The current stuff simply isn’t.

I love amd too, and have purchased many of their products. I just don’t love them enough to buy crap. there are no minds to change. their current tablet stuff sucks. it’s a fact, not an opinion.

• LostCat

If there were actually any of them on the market, I would have something to show. Benchmarks from unreleased products are fairly unhelpful.

Much like the Brix, your best AMD options available are already very outdated.

• BobbinThreadbare

If he only needs X cpu performance, where X is an AMD chip, and needs Y GPU perfomance, where Y is greater than Intel’s performance, it seems like AMD would be a fine option.

Also, the FX-6350 isn’t a bad option for gaming on a budget.

• sweatshopking

I don’t disagree, but its not even close to competitive with baytrail for power consumption. It’s a different class

• Duck

You need a surprisingly powerful video card to get good deinterlacing quality. You can do Yadif in software and get good results, but it is easily lacking compared to temporal/vector adaptive deinterlacing or whatever it’s called. I don’t know how low end integrated AMD performs.

• sweatshopking

and you need that deinterlacing on your 11 inch tablet?

• Duck

Most video content by far comes from TV broadcasts (for me). Good deinterlacing makes a huge difference, turning 50i into really fluid 50 FPS.

• sweatshopking

you want to hook up your tv tuner card to your tablet? i’m not trying to be snarky, I am just confused. I can see that for a htpc, as broadwell is great for htpc content, I just am not sure about tv tuners and 11 inch tablets.

• Duck

So I have a box that I record TV using a html EPG to schedule recordings. Then to watch TV I just have a list of files (that could be copied to a tablet to watch TV on the go) to play.

I don’t think any Intel IGP is great for HTPC use. I looked into getting a fanless haswell NUC, but I soon lost interest when I realised that video playback would be sub par compared to a system with a discrete video card.

• sweatshopking

gotcha.

• MadManOriginal

I think the differences are getting into videophile territory though, with enhanced postprocessing stuff. For recorded TV the source isn’t going to be great in the first place…

• Saribro

The speclist shows Bay Trail though, totally unrelated to Broadwell.

• sweatshopking

yeah, got my code names mixed up. I meant bay trail.

• gamoniac

It probably comes with a 500GB HDD on the keyboard like the latest T100TA revision, but that $106 price hike would need to be justified with a 1080/1200P screen, 64GB SSD, and 4GB of RAM for it to be appealing.

• TREE

Why don’t these OEMs just get it!! It’s great that there will possibly be a T200TA, but if those specs are accurate, it really isn’t good enough – at least for me.

Please a tablet with:
    1) Atom z3795
    2) 4GB RAM
    3) 64GB SSD or optional upgrade
    4) Optional Keyboard with battery and ports
    5) 1920×1200 or greater display resolution
    6) 10 point touch + optional digitiser for pen input
    5) USB 3 and some kind of picture out (micro HDMI)

The Omni 10 comes close to this, but just misses the mark for a variety of reasons. HP are so close, but yet so far to creating the ideal tablet (ElitePad 1000 costs waaay too much for an Atom).

Am I the only one looking for the above – is that why OEMs won’t build it?

• LostCat

I imagine every review would bitch about the battery life.
      As for 3,4,and 7 even the T100 has those (not sure if the dock has a battery, but it does have a USB3 port you can hook a hub to if you like.)

• sweatshopking

there are 2 different version of the t100. the initial ones with nothing in the dock, and the next run with a 500gb in the base. none of them have additional batteries though.

4GB of RAM for sure. Even if it’s still shipping with x86 Windows while they get Connected Standby fixed on x86-64, having all the addressable RAM possible would help a ton. And as the owner of a 32GB Windows tablet, I definitely should have gone for 64GB. I have a fast Samsung EVO SD card in there mounted to a folder on the C: drive (so it appears to be internal storage) but it didn’t really save me any money for the same storage.

• NeelyCam