Release roundup: Modular PSUs and stylish cases

Each week, we gather miscellaneous press releases and announcements for our release roundup. This week, we’ve got news from BitFenix, Cooler Master, and Thermaltake:

• "Color your world with BitFenix Neos." This latest case from BitFenix comes in black and white versions with a choice of black, white, blue, red, and silver mesh front panels—and an optional windowed side panel. The front mesh has kind of a Mac Pro vibe, but the rest of the enclosure is pretty standard, as far as ATX cases go. There’s room for two optical drives at the front, three 3.5" hard drives and three 2.5" SSDs in sideways drive trays, and three 120-mm fans (including the bundled front intake). BitFenix expects to have the Neos out in stores later this month.

• "Cooler Master V Semi-Modular Series PSU." Cooler Master’s new VSM power supplies feature semi-modular cabling, 80 Plus Gold certification, five-year warranty coverage, and wattage ratings of 550W, 650W, and 750W. We’re told pricing for those three units will be $99.99, $109.99, and $119.99, respectively, with availability scheduled for May 27. We’ve actually got one of the 750W models in the lab as we speak; we’ll have more details to share in a little while.

• "World premiere of the new Thermaltake Level 10 Gaming Station Titanium Limited Edition." We reviewed the original Level 10 almost four years ago, and it’s still one of the most unique PC enclosures out there. Now, Thermaltake is bringing it back as a limited-edition version with a "titanium finish." This special edition of the Level 10 will be "restricted to 500 builds worldwide," the company says. Thermaltake plans to start taking orders in July and to have cases shipped out in September.

• MadManOriginal

Is the Level 10 Titanium actually made out of titanium, even if only for cosmetic purposes like a titanium fascia, or is it just titanium-colored?

• destroy.all.monsters

Space Titanium.

It’s anodised aluminium, no titanium whatsoever.

Titanium is a bitch to work with, to extrude it requires more than double the temperature so for Tt to retool their entire facility for a 500-run limited edition is pretty unlikely.

I’m going with “they took 500 overpriced, impractical-yet-sexy cases that they couldn’t sell for **** and changed the paintjob as part of a marketing promotion”.

Having seen and used a Level 10 in the flesh it’s about the most awkward and impractical case I think I’ve ever come across, never you mind that a PC built into it weighs about 27kg/60lbs and has a laundry-list of compatibility issues with component choices.

• appaws

Dear God! That is a monstrosity…!

What, the weight?

[url=http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00001903<]47.11lbs empty[/url<] That handle built into the frame isn't for show, it's to stop you putting your back out when you need to pick it up and move it somewhere.... Edit: Heh, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBV1z2RUc4#t=339<]this reminds me of my experience. I couldn't unbox it myself it was so ridiculous[/url<], and the build experience was so awkward that I vowed never to touch one again.

• atari030

I’d never seen that Level 10 case before. Pretty wild. Of course, after a few moments of appreciating the aesthetic then various questions regarding functionality and utility naturally start to form about it…..

• Sargent Duck

[quote<]We've actually got one of the 750W models in the lab as we speak; we'll have more details to share in a little while.[/quote<] Does this mean a new power supply review? I haven't heard from "The Beast" for a while now, I was starting to get worried.

• albundy

bitfenix has no walls! and what’s Jacky’s chinese name?

• Khali

Yeah, I got a laugh out of the video too. Looks like something shot in his moms basement. A bed sheet for a wall and the card table to set the cases on.

• Deanjo

Don’t trust the guy, Jacky Ly!

Not really digging the colorful Bitfenix cases. A splash of color is neat and unique, but a fully-mesh front panel just means that the case will be (relatively) louder than just about anything else. Gonna have to go with very quiet fans.

• Deanjo

I don’t know about that, I’ve had a few cases that had full mesh grills and they weren’t any louder (Cosmos 2 and Factal Design Core series).

well I guess lots of stuff would be louder than my current case, since it has the sound-dampening material lining the insides…