Asus’ 32” PA328Q monitor does 4K at 60Hz over HDMI 2.0

As Scott discovered last week, Asus’ 28" PB287Q 4K monitor is pretty sweet. That isn’t the only new 4K display the company has up its sleeve, though. At its pre-Computex press event yesterday, Asus unveiled a fresh 32-incher with a 3840×2160 pixel array. Behold the PA328Q:

This beast looks like a replacement for the 31.5" PQ321Q that was introduced last year. Asus didn’t disclose the panel type, but the display has 10 bits of precision per color channel, allowing it to produce over one billion colors. The PA328Q offers full coverage of the sRGB color gamut, Asus says, and its 14-bit internal lookup table apparently delivers "smoother gradiations and more transitions between hues." Factory calibration should ensure that the colors are reasonably accurate fresh out of the box, too.

The stand has the usual assortment of height, tilt, and rotation options. Connectivity includes mini and full-sized DisplayPort 1.2 inputs plus one HDMI 1.4 port and one HDMI 2.0 port. The DP and HDMI 2.0 ports support 4K resolutions up to 60Hz, but the HDMI 1.4 input can only do 4K with a 30Hz refresh rate. Although there’s no mention of the scaler, I suspect this is a single-tile display.

We don’t have information on the PA328Q’s price tag or when it might hit stores. There are a few other perks worth mentioning, though. The display has a SuperSpeed USB hub built in, support for mobile devices via the MHL 3.0 spec, and a picture-in-picture mode. And I want one—or maybe three.

• Laykun

Why is it red on the bottom?

• StuG

Why must they put the ugly red line on their high end monitors? What does that match on ANYONES desk? Otherwise this looks like it could be really nice.

• Farting Bob

My keyboard has a bed backlight, and my case has a nice dark red glow from the 2 LED fans i have in there, so it would match my setup. But yea, i do agree monitors should just be as bare as possible, with as thin bezel as they can.

• Airmantharp

It’s hard to tell by the low-res sample above, but it doesn’t look all that intrusive, assuming that you’re not perching it at it’s stand’s highest extension and then point it up and all :).

But yeah, red’s a no-go. I know it’s an ASUS thing, but it needs to stay inside the case, not get plastered all over professional gear.

• Xenolith

I’ll buy 7… make that 11.

• the

The presence of HDMI 2.0 strongly points toward a single tile. They could try to emulate MST over HDMI using dual view but that would be an odd usage of dual view.

• thesmileman

I likes me that bezel! Sexy and thin.

• the

Yes. I’d be great of Eyefinity/SurroundView. Why do 3840 x 2160 when you can do 11520 x 2160?

Overkill? Never heard of that.

• JosiahBradley

Edit 3: Meh HDMI 2.0

• kamikaziechameleon

Finally, I can’t wait to see how something like this reviews. Also price will play a big part in its reception. In general it is apparent that higher density needs to happen on desktop. But I didn’t think a 28″ 4K monitor was so necessary as a replacement for 1600p 30″ monitors. and 1080p 24″ monitors. I hope we seen 1440p hit at the 20-24″ size, and something akin to 1600p at 28″ and 4K for 30″ and up.

• Vaughn

I like 32` since for 4k I think 28` is abit small.

And this one doesn’t look to be TN so if I would shopping currently this would be my choice price pending of course.

Is this was released at $1000-1200 it would be a instant buy but I think the price may be higher.

• kamikaziechameleon

Asus does price very aggressively. And I like their TN panels relative to others I’ve used.

• CreoleLakerFan

Honestly, I don’t see a 32″ 4K/UHD as that compelling an upgrade from 30″ 1600p. I was stoked about the possibility of a 37″ panel when Asus first announced them, but it looks like that size is off the table for now. Going to stick with my U3011 for a while.

• albundy

100% not TN. I have yet to see a TN monitor rotate into portrait mode.

• meerkt

See first link in article.

• moose17145

I own a 24″ 1920 x 1200 TN monitor that I am using this very moment writing this comment that can rotate into portrait mode…

• Vaughn

It can rotate to portrait but is it even usable with all the colour shifting and bad view angles on a TN panel.

Portrait mode makes all the down sides of a TN panel even worse cause you will see this far more in this mode than non portrait.

• moose17145

Odd… never had any issues with that in the past… seriously… a good TN panel isn’t that bad… It isn’t one of those POS 200 dollar laptop TN panels… Not saying that a good IPS panel won’t beat it… but in all fairness I have seen some pretty crappy IPS panels that looked worse than my TN does…

• Airmantharp

I’ve got a now-ancient Samsung TN that does quite well when rotated. Not perfect, but I use it as a data monitor, not as a gaming or color-work display.

• Laykun

I’ve had good TN panels and yes they just don’t look good when rotated. I think what is defined as good is based on people’s expectations though. It definitely looks worse in portrait than it does in landscape.

• lycium

I’ve never seen a helicopter rotate on its side either, maybe it’s a helicopter?

• HisDivineOrder

With Adaptive Sync and/or G-sync in the near future, it doesn’t pay to buy any monitor without one or both of these technologies.

Imho, it really is worth waiting for an Adaptive Sync monitor, but you just KNOW that the monitor makers are going to use this as a “HIGH END” feature to separate the cheapseats from the skybox holders.

• mcnabney

Chinese manufacturers are going to break the previous stranglehold.

• JustAnEngineer

China Electrics Corp. Panda’s IGZO panel production facility should be coming on line in mid-2015.

• Airmantharp

And even if they do, I’m still in agreement- I will not buy another monitor without adaptive V-Sync capabilities. It addresses the one aberration that annoys me the most in modern games.

• Sargent Duck

[quote<]I want one—or maybe three.[/quote<] Agreed. But I get the feeling my 7870 isn't up to the task...

• willmore

As long as you’re just running spreadsheets, you might be okay. Got enough outputs?

• mcnabney

Crysis 3 at 4k, yeah – that’s a no-go. Other stuff might be okay.

• Airmantharp

The biggest challenge is going to be having enough VRAM, assuming you’re playing run of the mill games that have been awkwardly ported from or codeveloped with console builds. You can turn settings down to get reasonable framerates if you absolutely must play a game that’s too much for your system at higher settings, but running out of RAM will turn it into an experience that’s not much better than playing on an IGP.

• Tristan

Adaptive Sync ? Hope they add it as soon as possible.
    This monitor probably use this AHVA matrix:
    [url<]http://www.panelook.com/M320QAN01.1_AUO_32.0_LCM_overview_20791.html[/url<] AHVA is bit worse than IPS and much better than TN. That's why they call it 'for semi-professionals'. Other 32'' 4K matrices are IGZO from SHARP, and very expensive.

• Bauxite

“Signal Interface : eDP (2 ch, 4 Lanes) ”

2 channels sounds like it could be MST aka dual tile, which would put it squarely on the Do Not Buy(TM) list, but I would rather be wrong…

• Tristan

This is some industrial standard for matrices, nothing in common with two scalers responsible for MST

• Thorburn

Nice find. 🙂

• Pantsu

AHVA is AUO’s version of IPS, kinda like PLS is Samsung’s version of IPS. It’s not really inferior.

• Airmantharp

They’re both advanced versions of the VA panel technology, and they’re both inferior to LG’s top-end IPS panels.

• briskly

Can’t really call AHVA worse, it has VA contrast going for it at least.