Razer fires up licensing program for PC enclosures

Looks like Razer's getting into the case business—albeit somewhat indirectly. The company has announced the "Designed by Razer" licensing program, an effort that will see it collaborate with established manufacturers on new, Razerified enclosure designs. Here's the skinny from the press release:

The Designed by Razer licensing program is open to selected case manufacturers, and it is subject to a rigorous vetting process by the award-winning Razer design and engineering team prior to approval. The new enterprise aims to take advantage of Razer’s design expertise and product engineering sensibilities. Every design feature of a licensed case will be directed by Razer in collaboration with any selected partner. Interested case manufacturers can go to http://www.razerzone.com/designedbyrazer to find out more.

The first fruit of this effort is already on the way. In July, NZXT will release the H440 – Designed by Razer, an ATX enclosure decked out with green lighting and Razerrific styling:

Look familiar? As far as I can tell, this thing is simply a restyled version of the regular H440, which NZXT introduced earlier this year. The difference seems to be in the hue choices, the glowing LEDs at the bottom, and the addition of two Razer logos. Also, the H440 – Designed by Razer will cost $149.99 when it hits stores next month, a $30 premium over the regular H440. I guess it ain't easy being green. Or something.

Oh well. At least the Designed by Razer version looks pretty slick. See the gallery below for more glamour shots.

Cool, so I can soon get a perfectly decent H440 case, but now covered in Razer’s soft-touch rubbercoat?

Both my Razer mice looked worn-out and shabby waaaaaaay before their time, and no others I have seen seem to contradict my experience.

What’s the reckoning that this case will need drivers, and all your settings will need to be stored in the cloud….? 😛

• Cannonaire

You’ll need to update the firmware before you can do that.

• Anovoca

With the design of most of the new Asus and MSI z97 boards, the standard black and red or even the white and black H440s will still look way better for a new build than this case.

• Airmantharp

NZXT, Corsair, and my favorite Fractal Design seem to have the variations of black and white styling down quite effectively. Even if I had a case with a window, and I don’t because I’d prefer that that particular panel be layered with sound-deadening material like my Define R3, I still wouldn’t want any LED color other than say a nice, pure, and subtle white going on inside. Just like my keyboard :).

• Stonebender

Am I the only one that doesn’t like Razer products? I bought a bunch back around 2010 or so and had nothing but problems, and their driver support was horrendous.

• Airmantharp

I’ve kept my distance- I did buy the blue-backlit mechanical keyboard, but it does feel cheaper than even a mechanical Rosewill, and I hated the MX-Blue’s shrill noise; I also own a mousepad, one of the steel ones that has different textures of teflon on either side, and it’s pretty nice.

Mostly, they seem to be decent at making things that don’t have moving parts :D.

• willyolio

same here. i’ve had 2 mice and 1 keyboard from them. build quality is poor on both mice, one broke a little outside of warranty period and neither were even remotely as comfortable as other mice i’ve used (mostly logitech).

keyboard is OK, but a little wonky. backlighting keeps shifting around and the touchpad media controls don’t work. ugh.

drivers were horrible.

• Anovoca

I loved my Naga right up till a few weeks ago when they wanted me to install a new software package that would “replace the need for custom UIs” that have worked fine for me since I got the mouse. Now every time I boot up my PC the driver opens an install window to which I select the “Never install this package” option just to have it come back the next day. Makes me wonder what will happen if I select “Ask me later”

• superjawes

I like the aestetics (which makes a program like this pretty cool), and I have liked some of their products. I got a free keyboard a few years ago that was awful on drivers, but I never had any issues with my DeathAdder or pre-2012 Naga other than physical wear.

I would also say that my BlackWidow is excellent, but that probably has more to do with Cherry switches.

• Airmantharp

The Blackwidow’s keys (the key caps, specifically) are so damn cheap it’s unreal compared to even a basic Rosewill. While I liked the idea of a mechanical keyboard, the overall cheapness of the Blackwidow led me to trade it for a far more solid Rosewill, which was then traded for a custom white-backlit MX-Brown with bumpers from Max Keyboards, which are highly recommended.

• psuedonymous

They’re styling isn’t endearing (SUBTLE NEON GREEN ACCENTS), but they do have some nice-but-flawed concepts lime the Razer Blade laptops. Pity about Cloud Drivers though, that’s a deal breaker for any peripheral they manufacture. Or the sillyness over changing the colour of some knock-off Cherry-MX clones and singing their praises as super-in-house-custom-premium switches.

The Hydra’s nice for VR, but only if you use the Sixense drivers. Razer managed to cheap that out and remove the wireless functionality from the prototype, so they don;t get a pass there either.

• Cannonaire

Most of the Razer products I have owned have been pretty bad.

The one exception was my Razer Copperhead, which finally died last year after about 8 years of near-flawless performance. Granted, I had to update the firmware on it (yes, a firmware update for a mouse…) right away.

I am now using a Diamondback 3G I got for cheap a few years ago, and while I like the shape, the polling rate and buttons just suck – 125hz feels bad after nearly a decade using 1000hz.

• ronch

It kinda seems like Razer thinks of themselves as the only ones capable of designing very good enclosure that other OEMs need their help, which kinda seems like there’s an air of arrogance to it. I don’t know. Still, for a $30 premium I’d say no.

• internetsandman

For a $30 rebate I would still say no

• kamikaziechameleon

Razor is not a favorite brand to me, I’ve gotten to many mice that just die for no reason but cost lots of money. I have their last gen high end mech black widow ultimate keyboard… At the time it was a deal and I’m still happy to own it even if I’ve outgrown it. The new laptop they are making looks really amazing, and I hope this follows that trend. Still $30 markup for the brand, I do like the matte black all over vs the mandatory highlights on the original cases.

• kamikaziechameleon

I prefer the colors of this case. Wish there was an option to omit the brand on the otherwise perfect front panel.

• internetsandman

Are they including the increased failure rate that comes with the rest of their peripherals?

• Airmantharp

I’m also trying to figure out how Razer’s ‘engineering expertise’ is somehow a selling point.

• Welch

Yep, included in the $30 premium

• Prestige Worldwide

Paying more to make your case look like the Honda Civics at the start of the Fast and the Furious

No thanks

• Major-Failure

Hey, those cars were awesome back when that movie came out 😉

• NeelyCam

Put in an AMD chip and it’ll also perform like a Honda Civic

• EzioAs

Adding $30 premium for bottom lighting and logos? It’s evident that Razer is still green on the chassis market…

• puppetworx

You’re forgetting the proprietary green USB 3.0 ports, those suckers don’t come cheap!!

• UnfriendlyFire

They paid $100K or $300K to “perfect” those green USB 3.0 ports because the manufacturers only made them in blue.

• puppetworx

Yep. I almost wonder if they’re only doing this to get rid of their overstock.

No different than what they do with their mice and keyboards, right?

• slowriot

Or most of their products. However, I’d love for some other manufacturer to make a mouse with between 6-9 thumb buttons like on the Naga Hex. (And I specifically don’t want the numpad style setup seen on the regular Naga or Logitech’s G600).

• chµck

$30 is nothing to show everybody you’re a serious g4mer and you mean business

• stdRaichu

But performance in this baby is off the chartreuse. It olive other brands in the dust. Pine all you want but you’ll just be looking for lawn if you don’t get one. I’ll be first in lime for one of these, if any other companies try it will be teal little too late.