Report: More refreshed Haswell chips due in Q3

If you thought Intel had finished refreshing its desktop Haswell lineup, think again. CPU-World has posted specifications for another wave of chips set to fill out the low end of the spectrum. The updated CPUs are reportedly due in the third quarter of this year, and like the first Haswell Refresh series, they deliver little more than a modest frequency boost over existing models. Here are the speeds and feeds:

Model Cores Threads Frequency L3 cache DRAM speed Graphics TDP
Core i3-4370 2 4 3.8GHz 4MB DDR3-1600 HD 4600 54W
Core i3-4360T 2 4 3.2GHz 4MB DDR3-1600 HD 4600 35W
Core i3-4160 2 4 3.6GHz 3MB DDR3-1600 HD 4400 54W
Core i3-4160T 2 4 3.1GHz 3MB DDR3-1600 HD 4400 35W
Pentium G3460 2 2 3.5GHz 3MB DDR3-1600 HD 53W
Pentium G3450T 2 2 2.9GHz 3MB DDR3-1600 HD 35W
Pentium G3250 2 2 3.2GHz 3MB DDR3-1333 HD 53W
Pentium G3250T 2 2 2.8GHz 3MB DDR3-1333 HD 35W

As far as I can tell, each of the incoming Core i3 and Pentium variants is 100MHz faster than its predecessor. Pricing isn't available yet, but I wouldn't expect too much excitement there, either. The stakes are pretty low at the budget end of the market.

Note that Celerons are absent from the list. CPU-World says Intel has no plans to update that family in the third quarter, though speed bumps could come out later than that. The site adds that the Haswell-based Core i5 and i7 lines won't be changed before Broadwell-K and Skylake-S arrive next year. However, Intel is prepping a fresh batch of Core i7s based on Haswell-E for later this year. Those processors will use DDR4 memory and plug into new X99 motherboards.

• NovusBogus

Translation: Broadwell launch date slips again.

• Ninjitsu

Core m.

• demani

I still don’t understand why these lowend chips don’t get the 5000 or Iris graphics in at least a few models: they are most likely to be used without a dedicated card, and it would make them much more viable desktop CPUs for everything. But then maybe you wouldn’t upgrade as often, or Nvidia or AMD would throw a hissy fit.

Just doesn’t makes sense to me though.

• mesyn191

5000 isn’t much faster than the 4600 and Iris raises the price too much for low end.

• ozzuneoj

I would say it matters more for the Pentiums. If they put out a Pentium class CPU (no HT) with HD4600 or even HD5000, it’d be a much more balanced CPU.

As it is, any recent i3 is fast enough to handle all but the most demanding games with ease, so they are much more likely to be used with a dedicated GPU. Where as, while the Pentiums\Celerons are fast enough for most things, they aren’t as likely to be used in gaming systems (due to lack of HT for multithreaded apps)… which means, they’d be far more likely to rely on the integrated GPU for light gaming.

… so why don’t they put out a slower CPU with a faster IGP? That’s what AMD does, and its the only thing going for them at this point.

The Penitum G3220 is a very fast CPU for $60… if they released one with HD 4600 or HD 5000 instead of basic HD graphics for $90-$100, I think it’d be extremely popular for HTPC or light gaming use and there’d basically be no reason to bother with an AMD APU in the same price range.

• mesyn191

I didn’t say anything against the 4600 in a low end chip.

I said the 5000 isn’t much faster than the 4600. In game the difference isn’t noticeable.

You’d need to step up to the 5200 to get a noticeable in game difference but then the chip is no longer low end in terms of price.

• ozzuneoj

I wasn’t saying you were. You mentioned that the 5000 isn’t much faster than the 4600, but I assumed that demani was referring to the actual low end chips, which don’t have the 4600. In these cases, the 4600, 5000 or Iris would make a huge difference over standard HD graphics.

• mesyn191

OK fair enough.

• aspect

The one with the big difference is the Iris Pro 5200.

• UnfriendlyFire

2014 is so boring…

• MadManOriginal

I am thinking Skylake will be my next platform update. By that time the new SSD standards should be fleshed out and DDR4 will be common. Is the timeframe for that still late 2015?

• jdaven

Last intel road maps had skylake as a mid 2015 release. But I’m skeptical that Intel will keep to that schedule with such a close time frame to haswell refresh and broadwell chips released just before.

• MadManOriginal

Whoops…yeah I mean late 2015, not 2016. I’d be ok with 2H 2015.

• Bensam123

I know quality and all the jazz, but are we going to get a devils canyon review anytime soon?

• nanoflower

Scott was out of town until recently so I’m sure it’s coming soon. It takes some time to do a good review. Unless something else comes up I expect it will be available by next week, but I’m not expecting much difference from what I’ve read in other reviews since he’s getting the same sort of engineering samples that everyone else got. I’m hoping (but not really expecting) the final release CPUs will perform better when OCed.

• Bensam123

Yeah I saw that post, that was last week though.

They do have better OCs, but that just means this review is about OCing more or less and shouldn’t take that much time to produce. I already ended up reading anandtechs because people were already talking about this in my channel, but I’d really like to see TRs, especially on the pentium, which I think really is the highlight of this refresh.

• deruberhanyok

The 4160T is a 200MHz bump over the 4130T, if it matters to anyone. I’m putting together a box with a 4130T in it right now.

A little bit of extra speed in a 35W envelope is always appreciated, especially if they keep the price the same.

• Dissonance

Don’t forget the 4150T 😉

• MadManOriginal

Don’t forget that real-world power draw is barely lower and that some motherboards let you set TDP limits.

• deruberhanyok

I didn’t even know there was a 4150T! Didn’t see that on the stores when I was looking. huh.

• malicious

That’s the problem with the “T” CPUs. Intel will gladly list a dozen on its ARK site but good luck finding a large majority of them for sale unless you’re an OEM. I’ve been trying to hunt down a 35W or 45W i5 and the very few places that might stock them are either charging a large markup or outside of the US.

• CampinCarl

[s<][quote<]Core i3 and Pentium variants [s]is[/s<][s<] [i<]are[/i<] 100MHz faster[/quote<] ;)[/s<] The i4360T looks interesting for HTPCs. I'm actually becoming disappointed with the one I built a year and a half ago, as it will overheat since the Blu-ray drive is directly over the HSF for the CPU. In hindsight, not the best case choice, even if I do love the look of the Silverstone GD-04. Edit: It is each...is. Sorry people.

• Myrmecophagavir

Isn’t it binding to “each”, which is singular?

• CampinCarl

Hmmmmmmm.

I didn’t think of it that way. It probably is binding with each, so that would be accurate. I just paired it with variants when I read it because they are next to each other.

• Amazing Mr. X

Actually no, “[i<]each[/i<]" isn't technically singular here as it refers to multiple individuals in a set. [quote<]each of the incoming Core i3 and Pentium variants is 100MHz[/quote<] The clue is the word "[i<]variants[/i<]" which begs "[i<]are[/i<]" as a followup. The sentence discusses multiple chips, so it's technically plural. Compare: [quote<]variants is one hundred megahertz[/quote<] to [quote<]variants are one hundred megahertz[/quote<] Variants are, people. They all are. Every single one of them are. Only this one variant is. See?