TR BBQ XI: We’re getting the hang of this

After 11 years of TR BBQs, DrFish and the rest of us have refined most of the key elements of the event beyond any reasonable expectation. TR head forum admin Just Brew It explained, "We're nerds; we take things to the extreme logical conclusion." At the time, he was—ahem—sterilizing hoses for connection to a couple of kegs of his own home-brewed beer. I knew his statement was truer than ever at about 10AM on the day of the BBQ, when a truck pulled up to unload an entire friggin' bouncy house for the kids:

This new addition was a surprise courtesy of DrFish and his lovely wife, and it was a huge hit with its target audience (also with some of the adults, but the less said about that the better.) zgirl's BBQ ribs were at least as outstanding as ever, and the fireworks show in the evening was outlandishly good.

As always, the top-notch food and entertainment were made possible and enjoyed by a fantastic group of people, and the true highlight of the day was just getting to hang out and talk with one another. We had more kids and families than ever before, I think. The addition of some new blood helped make up for the fact that some regulars like Dposcorp and eitje couldn't make it this year.

Here are a few images from the day's events:

Shoes and JSmits size up the prizes. Thanks to Gigabyte and MSI for the video card, mobos, mouse pads, and shirts!

Spectators watch the cornhole tournament. Note that idchafee is a spectator at this point.

Jr. Damage, Ned, LoneWolf, Gleek, Mrs_Frobozz, Justin, and his girlfriend hang out as the sun sets

The obligatory group photo

Shoes shows off his prize haul, including a Gigabyte motherboard, MSI shirt,

ancient BFG Tech backpack, and a Radeon briefcase

Tasty, tasty riiiiiiibs

Sheldon sports his self-fashioned glow goggles as Sis of Fish contemplates the franchise potential

Pictures of fireworks are rarely worthwhile, but no one can resist trying

I drove for about 11 hours yesterday in order to get home and am not entirely coherent, but I want to say thanks to everybody who came out and helped make the latest TR BBQ one of the best yet. Thanks again to MSI and Gigabyte for providing the prizes. Most of all, I can't say enough about DrFish's graciousness as a host, especially given some of the things he's been dealing with in the background.

DrFish made sure we had lots of bandwidth available on site, along with a couple of live-stream cameras capable of taking still shots via remote control, so there are tons more pictures in the BBQ thread starting on this page. The TR BBQ has become one of the highlights of the year for many of us, and if you browse through that thread, I think it will be easy to see why.

• Forge

I am so sad about the ribs. Hey, that fireworks photo came out great! Expect me next year, I will not allow myself to miss.

• vargis14

Man I sure wish i was able to make it….I probably would have beaten Gleek into the bouncy castle since though i rarely drink. Vodka is my 1st choice and it gets me happy awfully quick.

We had a party @ the same time at our beach house with all the family and people from the water front. 2/3’s of a bottle of Grey goose made crabbing with 5 kids and 5 adults on the pontoon boat boring after 30 minutes or so. So I gave my sunglasses to my cousin to hold a swam the 1/4 mile back to the party……….Man I am sore and I was wrong thinking the tide was slack. It was still coming in so it took me 30 minutes of hard swimming to get in. Even though I am a great swimmer I was glade I could barely touch the bottom halfway in, I needed to catch my breath a little bit or i would have been doing the slow backstroke to get in. The biggest surprise was not one jellyfish sting…or the Grey goose made me into superman. “very Unlikely” just lucky.

• Captain Ned

For the record, the first person in the bouncy house was Gleek.

• thegleek

lol, well i couldn’t resist. it was adult-friendly! 🙂

• DarkMikaru

I hated that I missed it. Looked like fun and crazy good food. Maybe someday I’ll be able to make the trip. Glad you all had a great time!

• Dposcorp

Great to see everyone had a wonderful time. Awesome pictures, but of course, the crappy tables for the prizes, and no “inside the second” during the cornhole event shows how much you miss me.

YOU WANT ME AT THE BBQ! YOU NEED ME AT THE BBQ!

• thegleek

your garage sale deals were greatly missed. some of us thought to send you $100 via paypal for you to send us a random mystery box worthy of our monies! 🙂

• fhohj

haha you guys gave away the radeon briefcase, that’s awesome.

can’t believe you’ve done so many of them.

I guess on the bouncy castle this year dr.fish wanted to.. turn it up to eleven..

• oldDummy

Regret missing a great time.
    Not a flight fan.
    NJ is a bit far for driving.
    Good to learn it went over well.

EDIT:Ribs look yummy.

• Flying Fox

Captain Ned drove from Vermont, distance wise looks more than from NJ. So?

• Captain Ned

Using Wildwood, NJ as the start point (way south on the beach by Cape May), Google Maps says 830 miles/13 hours. My one-way was 900 miles.

• Kingcarcas

Wait wait…….do they live in an area where fireworks are legal?

• drfish

Pretty much all fireworks are legal all the time at our beach.

• ClickClick5

I wanna know who got the flash drive?

• Damage

Your pictures were entertaining. 🙂

idchafee was this year’s honored recipient of the Wasson Cup and the flash drive contained within it. He was singled out for distinction after losing in the first round of the cornhole tourney to yours truly and being incredibly gracious about it–without the gracious part. He’s already promised more adventures and pictures for the cup.

• ClickClick5

I really hope I can come next year!

So you have a cornhole area setup in the labs to practice while the parts bench? With the sole purpose to defeat idchafee this year? 😉

• Damage

No, I easily defeated him without any practice.

• drfish

No mention of Inkling getting taken out by 7 year old Andrew? That was my personal nomination for the cup. 🙂

• Damage

That wasn’t even an upset!

• drfish

Nice!

• ClickClick5

I feel the burn all the way over here.

• idchafee

He took a dive

• drfish

Say it ain’t so!

• Captain Ned

Heard it come straight from his mouth. He just wanted out.

• idchafee

I hate beanbags, srsly

• zgirl

Says the guy who one it one year. 😛

• tbone8ty

Good show guys! How was camping on the beach?

• Damage

The beach was like three feet wide this year, barely there, due to high water levels. I don’t think anyone camped on it.

My son and I “camped” in the back of our minivan. With the air mattress, felt like cheating.

• just brew it!

Last year I camped in the yard (where the bouncy house was this year). I brought the tent again, and could’ve camped in the yard again (next to the bouncy house), or even in the little clearing down by where the beach used to be (where we had the fire ring this year), but that would’ve involved pitching a tent in the dark at 3:00 AM (and hauling it down a long flight of steps for the second option). I opted to just unroll my sleeping bag on an available couch.

• USAFTW

I’d love to attend some day, but as of now ten and a half hours of time zone difference sits between me and TR BBQ. BTW, the BBQ XI attendees are quite a a bit older than I was expecting.

• Captain Ned

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

• zgirl

Well you have to remember it as been 11 years now. We all got older. Also age does not matter since no one really acts it. 😉

• yokem55

Good lord, 11 hours of driving in one go? If I’m on my own I start hallucinating after 8.

• cynan

Try less coffee?

• Firestarter

Did you mean: Try more coffee?

• Captain Ned

I find that in long-distance driving there is a point where more coffee becomes a bad thing due to the increased frequency of needing to pull off.

• Pez

Loving the old school glow stick accessories 😀

Looks like you all had a great time good job 🙂

• sweatshopking

Great job guys
    Mail me some ribs.

• DPete27

What’s the secret recipe? Those ribs LOOK amazing!

• just brew it!

I have no idea what the secret recipe is, but I can confirm that they WERE amazing! Fall-off-the-bone tender, and very smoky. After taking a couple of hours to recover from the initial food orgy (and get knocked out in the first round of the bags tourney) I went back for more ribs!

• Captain Ned

I do remember Kelli saying that last year she didn’t have either the right charcoal or any charcoal. This year she had hardwood lump charcoal overclocked to ludicrous speed and I’m sure that’s from whence the smoky flavor came.

• drfish

Last year we had to use the gas grill. Charcoal was exactly the same but the grill we had this year is prefered.

• zgirl

Drfish is correct. The grill we used this year was under repair last year. This one circulates air better thus allowing better smoking. I can replicate the recipe with a gas grill and a tray of wood chips as long as it has good airflow and a hood. I just prefer lump coal whenever possible.

As for the recipe it remains a secret until you give me something in return for it. Sorry it is too good to give out for free. 😉

I can say this. I do use both a dry and wet rub. Ponder that if you know anything about BBQ. I also finish them in the oven(better control of heat and thus the tenderness). Hey I am not a traditionalist I will use any method as long as I get the results I want.