PC gaming deals abound in Humble, GoG sales

Seems like no more than a month or two passes without another PC game sale making headlines. This time around, the big discounts are at the Humble Store, which has kicked off an End of Summer Sale to celebrate the coming equinox.

A rotating selection of deals is on offer until September 22. Most come via Steam code or in DRM-free form, and one of them is completely free. Until noon Central Time Tuesday, Warlock: Master of the Arcane can be yours for no more than a valid email address

Here are some of the other appealing deals:

• Batman: Arkham Origins for $7.49 (until tomorrow at 10:00 PM CT)
  • Psychonauts for $0.99 (until tonight at midnight CT)
  • The Wolf Among Us for $9.99
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY for $4.99
  • Age of Empires III Complete for $9.99
  • The Lego Movie Videogame for $7.49
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect for $14.99
  • The Swapper for $2.99
  • Gone Home for $7.99

You'll want to refresh the sale page every so often to see what's new. And you'll be able to feel warm and fuzzy about your purchases, too, since 10% of the proceeds to go charity. (75% goes to the developers, and the Humble folks take the remainder.)

If older games are more your style, check out Good Old Games' 6th Birthday Promo, which is loaded with titles from the vendor's first year of operation. This sale is only on until 5:00 AM CT Tuesday, but there are some classics in the mix, and they're all DRM-free. Cue highlights:

• Unreal Tournament 2004 ECE for $2.49
  • Far Cry for $2.99
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for $2.99
  • Beyond Good and Evil for $2.99

Anyone know when I can purchase enough free time to play all these?

• Aerugo
    • Pez

It’s then a hex-based Turn-based strategy game with huge amounts of high fantasy and comedy moments thrown in.

It also qualifies you as a heretic, please turn yourself in for ritual burning at 7PM sharp, thanks 😉

• MadManOriginal

Only two you’ve neglected to start? You are a far better man than me, and probably 99% of nerds who use Steam.

• NovusBogus

Humble is pretty much a Steam storefront at this point, so it’s not surprising.

• nanoflower

With Steam you do give up some control. You can choose to patch or not on a per game basis. However you can’t choose what version of a patch to update so if Steam is going to update your game it will be to the latest version. That’s not surprising since Steam is trying to be user friendly and allowing everyone to choose from multiple patches for every game is just asking for trouble. Especially if the game had a multi-player feature.

• The Wanderer

A: It’s DRM, however minor; I don’t do DRM. Or rather, I have two criteria for DRM which I find too objectionable to accept – actually many more, but they can all be reduced to those two – and every DRM scheme I’ve ever run across violates one or both of them; Steam is less draconian than almost any other DRM out there that I know of (Torchlight’s being one possible exception), but it still goes too far.

B: Judging from what I’ve read about it over time, it apparently often takes control over some aspects of the game (updating / patching, save management, et cetera) out of the user’s hands. If I don’t want to patch (or just not to patch right now, instead of playing the unpatched version), I shouldn’t have to; if I want to patch only to a certain point and stop there, I should be able to; if I want to store saves locally only, that should be entirely my choice; et cetera. There may be some control over this, and it may (I don’t know) not be as bad as I originally read about it being, but at best that only turns this into a neutral point rather than a negative one.

C: I run Linux, and Steam’s insistence on installing and updating things itself rather than going through the established package-management system – while admittedly necessary when taking into account the constraints they’re operating under, both licensing and technical – both breaks with the governing philosophy of the existing system and just rubs me the wrong way.

There’s possibly more, but it’s been a long time since I looked into Steam, having fairly firmly established that various of its features (in the sense of “characteristics”) were not for me and moved on.

Steam certainly provides some advantages, some of which do seem quite attractive – but for me, they are not remotely worth the trade-offs.

• SomeOtherGeek

Remember everything you have is not yours. Nothing. You die, you going to take everything you own with you wherever that may be? So, just don’t worry about it and enjoy life as it is as well as the game.

• internetsandman

I already have three games occupying my attention and two more I’ve neglected to even start. I wish I would win the lottery so my pesky job wouldn’t stop me from gaming 😀

• bthylafh

Then on balance of evidence, you’re probably an uncircumcised Philistine. 😛

• EzioAs

And if I’ve never played any Civ titles?

• Pez

It is Steam only. What have you got against Steam?

• The Wanderer

For anyone else who may care: if my experience is any indication, the free “Warlock” copy from the Humble Bundle sale is apparently Steam-only, with no DRM-free option available. (If anyone else has experience indicating that that’s not the case, I’d be interested to know how to access the DRM-free variant.)

• dmjifn

Blah. Seems like Humble Bundle announces a new deal 5-6 times per month. I finally unsubscribed yesterday with that same announcement you mentioned. </hater>

The Swapper is a short and sweet game everyone should play, much like Braid and Limbo.

• Pez

Warlock is a great game, anyone who doesn’t have it or hasn’t tried it grab it!

Think Civ with Dragons and spells.

Share this post with your friends!