Grand Theft Auto V’s PC release pushed to 2015

A couple months ago, Rockstar announced that a spruced-up version of Grand Theft Auto V would hit the PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in the fall. That schedule put the PC release a year behind the initial launch for last-gen consoles, but at least the newer consoles were in the same boat.

Welp, not anymore. In a move that will surprise exactly no one, Rockstar has revised its release timeline for the PC version. The PS4 and Xbone are getting the game on November 18, but PC gamers will have to wait until January 27. Once again, the most powerful gaming platform on the market is getting the short end of the stick. Rockstar doesn’t provide a rationale for the delay, but it does have a new trailer to rub salt in the wound.

The tweaked GTA release promises higher-resolution graphics, longer draw distances, better foilage, more traffic and wildlife, and improvements to the weather and damage systems. There’s fresh in-game content, too, including new guns, vehicles, and activities—because the original apparently didn’t have enough extra-curricular pursuits.

Grand Theft Auto V boasts one of the highest ratings I’ve ever seen on Metacritic, so it’s a shame we PC folks will have to wait even longer to play it. I’d expect decent gaming machines to run GTA:V at higher detail levels and resolutions than the new consoles, though. At least there’s some consolation in that.

• tanker27

YAWN….Wut….oh…..Wake me up when Rockstar decides to release Red Dead Redemption for PC.

• NeelyCam

WHAT? Red Dead Redemption doesn’t have a PC version?!

Seriously guys… why do you keep doing this to yourselves?

• link626

well it better be completely bug free and run smooth as silk if we have to wait that long.

Ahahahahhhahahhaa
      Hahahhahhahhaahahahaha
      AhahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

😀

Oh, you really tickled me with that one!

• moose17145

The newest console I own, is a SNES. I have a high end desktop for a reason. That being said…

I WANTED to play this game. But I am not about to go spend several hundreds of dollars on a game console for one game. If they had this game on PC even a month after release of the console release, I probably would have gotten it. I WANTED to give Rockstar my money to play this on PC. Now… I just don’t even care and am likely never going to play this game.

In more recent events… this same crap is happening with Destiny as well now.

Here is a video that pretty much describes how I feel about Destiny right now.

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhPhpaFSi0w&index=3&list=UUQMEms3zgX-dmS2mttSJEYw[/url<] This is likely why PC sales often suck compared to console sales that companies do not seem to get. They release a screwy half baked port of a game on PC 18 months after it was first released on the consoles for brand new game price (typically 60 dollars anymore), after the game is no longer relevant and no one cares anymore. Sometimes half the fun of the game is being able to talk about it with your friends while they are also playing it.

• yogibbear

So supposably she was taking the piss in that linked video, even though her entire argument is compelling and pretty much my feelings…. 🙁

• NeelyCam

There is a two-pronged solution to all your problems:
    1) Quit whining.
    2) Go to Best Buy and buy a PlayStation

• Ninjitsu

Or, don’t by GTA V.

• NeelyCam

That’d be like saying “Don’t buy Skyrim”

• travbrad

I’ll probably buy it eventually, but not full price for a 2 year old game. I have plenty of other games to keep me busy. If it’s anything like GTA IV you won’t want to install it for a couple months after release anyway. Let someone else beta test it.

aaaaaand this is why PC gamers “get shafted” (in their eyes)

• raddude9

Jeez, a lot of whiners out there, just suck it up, sit back and wait for what will be the superior version of GTA V. Learn some patience people.

• geekl33tgamer

You have seen Rockstar’s past PC ports, right?

• jessterman21

Max Payne 3 has probably the smoothest frametimes and best textures out there… Just sayin’

• destroy.all.monsters

A one-off does not make the trend disappear. Last time I checked all their games were wrapped in RSC and GFWL – and nothing makes up for all those headaches. Rockstar is basically Ubisoft now.

• NeelyCam

IT’S LATE MORE THAN TSMC 20NM!!
    IT’S LATE MORE THAN A 5+” IPHONE!!
    IT’S LATE MORE THAN AN AMD TABLET!!
    IT’S LATE MORE THAN MY PERIOD!!

• Steele

Aaww, congratulations!

• Mightyflapjack

The thing that irritates me is that we are getting a 16 month old game for retail price.

Since the vast majority of PC game titles are heavily discounted by the 1 year mark, I cannot help but feel cheated.

I specifically avoid console gaming because of two main reasons: 1. The lack of modding. 2. Their high price compared to PC games.

A very distant third reason would be improved graphics and game-play over consoles, yet this is the ‘announced’ reason for the long PC delay.

At the very least Rockstar should match release the PC version with Mod-tools for developers.

• B.A.Frayd

Wait for the Steam sale. It will have many of the inevitable bugs worked out by that point anyway. Better game for cheaper price.
      If you’re like me, you probably have a million games in your Steam library that you should get to first anyway.

• SoM

stopped caring long time ago

haven’t even played GTA IV

• USAFTW

Ada Rock star, bizi ba San sikuva saripsan?

• USAFTW

Sorry about that, news made me so angry I couldn’t even switch context! Arrr…

• jessterman21

Awful – nothing about that trailer appeals to me. If someone gifted this to me, I couldn’t even bring myself to play it.

• kamikaziechameleon

What, you’re not bitter about life and excited to play a parody of socio economic struggle?

• Ninjitsu

“Microsoft Will Stream Xbox 360 Games to PC (Report)”

[url<]http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-stream-xbox-360,news-19525.html[/url<]

• yogibbear

Was ALWAYS going to get delayed. I was expecting a year delay so they could still claim it was coming out in the ‘fall’. I guess this is an OK delay. Still angry that the delay doesn’t also affect the PS4/Xbone versions. Smells of getting paid by MS/Sony to delay the PC release so that they can claim PC players bought the least copies of GTAV instead of letting competition and truth tell you the real numbers.

• NeelyCam

Lol

• bfar

Well at least it’s still coming, I guess.

On a side note, what’s with all the remakes on the PS4 and xbone platforms? There doesn’t seem to be much else available. It’s a bizarre state of affairs.

It’s funny, but 6 or 7 years ago, when the last crop of consoles arrived, and to a lesser extent when mobile came on the scene, a part of the marketing blurb was that we’d all be throwing our gaming PCs out with the garbage. How wrong they were. The current state of consoles, with their pay-to-play online service, and decidedly unoriginal and over-priced catalogs, look like a very week proposition next to the PC as a gaming platform.

With the advent of cloud retailing, the resurgence of indie development, a thriving mod community, and an exponentially growing back catalog, the PC is looking increasingly unassailable as the primary platform for the hard core gaming enthusiast.

It’s remarkable how bungie/Activision, by launching their flagship title on console only, has effectively locked themselves out of the largest consumer segment of the gaming market. Ditto Rockstar. In 2007 this might have made a certain amount of sense, but in this day of age, it’s a tad baffling.

• HisDivineOrder

Rockstar, you really disappoint me. It was your own fault for waiting so long to release the PC version. Now that you’re here, you don’t want to endure having to see people either not buy your game because of the Steam sale that will be happening virtually the same day or having to put it on sale to reflect said Steam sale. So you just delay it until after the sales are over.

And of course there’s the very real possibility you just don’t want the PC version showing up the “next gen” (or current now?) consoles. I mean, it wouldn’t help you much if the game made the Xbone and PS4 look like 360/PS3’s by comparison, would it?

• geekl33tgamer

You know, that really *is* annoying. Can I suspect it’s because the console makers have waved the golden chequebook at R* to get a 3-month exclusivity run?

Wouldn’t be the first time. 🙁

• NeelyCam

[quote<]3-month exclusivity run[/quote<] Lol - it's more like a 23-month exclusivity run 😛

• kamikaziechameleon

The GTA series has trended towards overrated for a long time. Or maybe I don’t enjoy a game that constantly satarizes every aspect of modern life. I’m not a cynical person so the cynical humor is rather grating to me. GTA 4 had such bad gameplay mechanics I was amazed at the scores it got. They just layered loads of content ontop of a bad control scheme.

My biggest complaint about GTA4 is the controls when you’re in a car. They called it realistic, but I call it laggy. OTOH, the car physics in GTA5 are more “action movie” style with responsive cars that can do nicely controlled skids.

• kamikaziechameleon

I have to play 5 but I’m not pulled to it because GTA 4 and the 2 expansions were so flat to me. Everything about the GTA tone just doesn’t connect with who I am and how I view things.

To that end I don’t know why someone would ever give a commenter a -1 if he wasn’t being mean w/o also commenting on his remark if he disagreed. The sniping that happens on these comments sections is so very similar to the “Look at us making a deconstructive parady of what other people are doing! Aren’t we clever and original!” :^/

I get it. They’re not “me” or how I think, either, but they’re a nice escape with maybe more than a little schadenfreude mixed in, as well.

Also: I didn’t minus you. 🙂

• yogibbear

The cynical humour is the major draw to GTA for me. The entire point is you are not meant to like the satire and you are meant to be offended/persnoally grated by it. That’s why it’s funny and perhaps even deeply disturbingly inspirational. Though probably goes over the heads of most of the players who think that acting out like the characters within GTA is “cool” when that’s entirely not the point. Not that I am saying you don’t get this, I believe you do from your original comment, but this is the draw for me. Getting my giggles on based on both excellent satire & excellent gameplay that satisfies all the wrong regions of my brain at the same time causing terrible neurological disasters to future references.

• B.A.Frayd

You SHOULD be more cynical.

• internetsandman

Let me guess
    Rockstar is trying to pull a Ubisoft and help the consoles get as much attention as possible while neglecting the PC? Will they also hobble the graphics for the PC release to make consoles look better?

I have to say – if the money was there to get all the sales on PC, I think they’d do it. PC gaming isn’t dying, of course, but between the current fad of just buying AAA stuff when it’s half price on Steam and the glut of cool indie stuff, I don’t think PC gamers set aside as much of their gaming budget to buy AAA stuff as their console brethren do.

Sorry for all the edits, couldn’t phrase that right at first.

• travbrad

Yep AAA titles aren’t as appealing or valued as highly when you have countless great games from smaller development teams and indies, most of which are cheaper than those AAA games.

“AAA” seems to refer to the marketing budget of a game rather than being any sort of quality indicator. I don’t think I can ever play a Battlefield game again after playing Planetside 2, and Battlefield is one of the better “AAA” games.

• nanoflower

Rockstar is going for console money and to take away sales from Saints Row IV – Gat out of hell. That’s released on the same day as the PC version of GTA V.

That makes zero sense.

• nanoflower

It could make sense if their cut of the each product sold is higher on the next gen consoles vs the PC. Plus by launching on the same day as SR4-Gat out of Hell they are bound to take money away from SR4 since GTA V has the bigger budget and is better known that SR4.

• destroy.all.monsters

The difference being Volition/Deep Silver aren’t as committed to screwing their customers. They’ve earned an amount of loyalty from PC gamers that Rockstar would prefer to dump on.

• Milo Burke

This upsets me. I want to boycott companies that treat the PC so poorly. But I also really want to play this game. I’ve heard great things about it; I enjoyed GTA IV; and GTA V had a record-setting budget, higher even than the movie Avatar.

I don’t know what to do.

• superjawes

As a PC gamer, the only thing you can really do is convert others to PC gaming. As long as companies like Rockstar can make a bajillion dollars off console gamers, they’ll continue to focus on console games.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]As a PC gamer, the only thing you can really do is convert others to PC gaming.[/quote<] Lol, so since you suffer because of your own poor choice to deprive yourself of the joys of console gaming, you want to make others suffer too? PC gamer gnomes are kinda evil

Boycotting the PC release will make self-fulfilling prophecy of all the people (including publishers, most importantly) who say AAA games don’t sell well on PC.

• travbrad

That’s going to happen anyway when they release the game on PC 1½ years late for full price. Most people aren’t going to buy the same game on 2-3 different platforms. They have created their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is actually some truth to AAA games not selling as well on PC though. Most of my favorite PC games aren’t “AAA” console ports.

• kamikaziechameleon

Buy the PC copy, get a used one for your PS3 so you can really make a point 😛

Sweet. That just solidifies my choice to get it on PS4. :p

Edit: this DOES happen from time to time in the console world, too. PS3/Xb360 didn’t get Diablo III until a year and a half after release, and PS4/Xbone didn’t get RoS until August, which was 5 months after the PC release.

• weapau

Yes, but Diablo 3 was a bastardized version of Diablo developed specifically for console release. Blizzard lost my interest on that one.

Well, not really, I would have bought it if I didn’t have a kid right around the same time. Anyway, get off my lawn.

• nanoflower

It made sense that the console version of Diablo III took a while to develop because it really is a different game. I haven’t played it so I can’t comment from my own experience, but people that I know that played a lot of Diablo III on the PC actually liked what Blizzard did with the console version.

• sweatshopking

pc and xbone do have exclusive content the ps4 doesn’t get though. not sure if that factors into your decision. at least, that’s what i read somewhere but it seemed confusingly written.

MaximumPC says the PC version has some extra stuff .

[url<]http://www.maximumpc.com/grand_theft_auto_v_headed_pc_january_27_2015_prettier_graphics_and_new_weapons[/url<]

• internetsandman

Having played D3, I was always confused how someone would play it with a controller, it seemed like it could only be played with a keyboard and mouse and to be honest I never expected it to be released on consoles.

That being said, that’s one of the only situations I can think of where the PC got the better treatment, and it’s from a company that almost exclusively develops for the PC in the first place.

I played the demo of the PS3 version when it came out. The controller is pretty well implemented. The face buttons are your 1-4 on the keyboard, R1 and R2 are left/right mouse, L1 is quick heal, and L2 is target lock. The fire buttons work like shift-click – you stand still and so you can hold the trigger and turn around to fire/attack with ranged guys. It’s not as precise as a mouse, but it works really well. No idea how it handles Torment though.

edit: from what I read, they shrunk the size of a Zoodoctor’s army. 6 Fetishes from Fetish Army, max 5 dogs, max 10 summoned Fetishes from Sycophant passive. But they all do more damage to make up the difference. That might be good or might be bad.

• travbrad

It actually happens most of the time in the console world, whether they realize it or not. I would guess less than half of my Steam Library has console versions. I don’t just mean they are late either. They aren’t coming to consoles.