Tubular scaffolding surrounds In Win’s D-Frame Mini chassis

In Win makes some of the most outlandish PC cases around. The company’s latest creation isn’t an entirely new design—it’s Mini-ITX spin on an existing mid-tower—but the result is no less striking. Check out the D-Frame Mini:

Source: In Win

This semi-open enclosure is bounded by a tubular aluminum frame with fat pipes and beefy welds. Rubber bumpers line the frame’s exterior, allowing the case to be propped up in multiple orientations. System components attach to aluminum plates and brackets inside the chassis, while tempered glass side panels offer a tinted view of the interior. A knurled carrying handle is also integrated into the scaffolding.

The frame measures 16″ x 9″ x 19.7″, which is a little on the chunky side for Mini-ITX builds. Still, there’s enough room inside for ATX PSUs up to 8.7″ long and double-wide graphics cards up to 13.4″. The maximum height for graphics cards is 5.9″, and based on the layout, I’d expect a similar ceiling restriction on CPU coolers. Good thing the dual 120-mm fan mounts at the bottom can accept a double-length radiators.

Storage bays are plentiful, with three 3.5″/2.5″ hybrids and two bays reserved for 2.5-inchers. The spec sheet doesn’t mention support for slim or 5.25″ optical drives, which probably won’t be missed.

Source: In Win

The matte black version of the D-Frame Mini will be available first, followed by red and orange variants. Unfortunately, there’s no indication of the asking price or expected street date. In Win’s premium cases tend to be fairly expensive, so don’t hold your breath for a bargain. Do, however, peruse the additional images in the gallery below.

• FireGryphon

In Win has had great cases for a while. I used one when I built my first Pentium II system. Cases like these are works of art.

• Jason181

Could be nice to work in. Not a lot in the way. Definitely for users without small children or pets though.

• albundy

“The spec sheet doesn’t mention support for slim or 5.25″ optical drives, which probably won’t be missed.”

or you could just put them in a usb enclosure and use them as needed. nobody is holding a gun to your head. i personally like mine inside my rig. i paid $14 for my nec dvd burner 6 years a go, and it still works great. i burn home videos sometimes, as i dont want to keep buying hard drives.

• floodo1

what is a dvd?

• ronch

I’m not so sure why enclosure makers go a little too far with their designs sometimes. I know they just might wanna be creative or perhaps they just want some publicity or recognition as a purveyor of ‘interesting’ designs, but most of the time I think they’re ugly. I’ll stick with ‘normal’ enclosures, thank you.

• kamikaziechameleon

I like it.

• LoneWolf15

This will look right at home next to the portable diesel generator.

• JustAnEngineer

The generators have more thoughtful design.
      [url<]http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/recreational-generators[/url<]

• anotherengineer

My little ones would love to see if it would roll down the stairs or stuff things into it.

At least all the dust and pet hair should drop right through and settle back on the floor 🙂

• SomeOtherGeek

Ok, am I missing something? Is this a case where a person can throw around and it will protect your parts? Something that you can put in the back of a sand buggy and drive across the desert with? I don’t know, I’m having problems with it. I like the looks and all that, just not sure of the functionality…

• mongoosesRawesome

Oh, these would be great for my son to stick his hands in and catch the fans with his tiny fingers.

• HisDivineOrder

I’m calling it:

MSRP: $1,337.

• TwoEars

I see they’ve added transparent side panels to it…. if only the fit of the side panels was a bit better it might actually constitute you know… a case?

😉

• ronch

I think it’s ugly.

• snook

these always remind me of a ducati, and nothing’s wrong with that.

• BiffStroganoffsky

It would be if they priced it like a duck.

• snook

lol, it will probably be close.

edit: biff it has a grab bar…you can ride two up! wooohooo

• Grigory

Either these cases look silly or I am getting old. Or both. Probably both.

• Billstevens

At this point its an art piece, so it either fits with your decor or looks ridiculous. Or you just want to be the person with a weird ass case at the lan party.

• floodo1

this case is about maximum visibility on your components. it’s sort of like the opposite of a regular case which hides everything

• internetsandman

I’m sure as a talking point it’s a great way to draw attention to your build at a LAN, but for day to day use, I imagine you’d likely be cleaning it of dust every other week

• Deanjo

They kind of missed the boat when they did not make that tubing capable of routing wires through.

• oldDummy

or water.

[quote<]Do, however, peruse the additional images in the gallery below.[/quote<] err...not seeing it.

• internetsandman

It’s their way of tricking you into clicking on all the ads you see

• Dissonance

Gallery is in now.

Yup, I see it now.

• Neutronbeam

Whoa, way tubular bro-dude!

• l33t-g4m3r

[quote<]5.25" optical drives, which probably won't be missed.[/quote<] Well then, we won't be watching blu-ray or installing an OS.

Every current/recent OS under the sun can be installed via USB. :p

• l33t-g4m3r

MS doesn’t sell windows on USB, afaik. *So they do, but I haven’t seen it in retail.

Regardless, I think not including optical as an option is just plain stupid, so I would not consider any case that removed 5.25 bays. Optical isn’t the only peripheral that goes in 5.25. Fan controllers, hot swap, sd readers, i/o bays, etc. You lose all of that. It just doesn’t make sense to exclude it, especially when it could fit.

Claiming you don’t need blu-ray or optical for OS install is a total cop out. 5.25 is still handy, whether or not you use those features. Removing it is just limiting your choices. Having the choice still gives you the option to not use it. Other people will use it, even if you don’t.

• Deanjo

[quote<] MS doesn't sell windows on USB, afaik. [/quote<] They have been providing USB install options since Win 7 and netbooks. Welcome to 2009.

• l33t-g4m3r

Hmm. Never seen it in a store, haven’t read a news article on it, and I haven’t looked for it. USB has been around before 2009, but it meant DIY. Good to know MS offers it, but that still doesn’t negate the utility of a missing 5.25 bay.

• Deanjo

It has been offered on the MS store for years. In fact with Win 8 and 8.1 it even asks you if you wish to put the installation media on USB or optical or keep the ISO.

• l33t-g4m3r

I don’t browse the MS store, nor have I looked at buying w8. I’m actually surprised that you have.

• Deanjo

Again, welcome to 2009. Feel free to place your optical media beside your ghetto blaster, leg warmers and zipper jacket off to the side.

• l33t-g4m3r

I still don’t plan on buying anything from the MS store, or using w8. Even if I know it’s there.

If anything is outdated, it’s you and your notion of using an external bluray player. Consoles have been integrating them fine for years. PC’s are at the stage where it’s no longer a hassle, so I’d rather have it than not. Especially since I already own one.

• Deanjo

[quote<]If anything is outdated, it's you and your notion of using an external bluray player.[/quote<] External Bluray players still have several advantages such as noise levels, power consumption, playback compatibility. Most also offer better scaling capabilities and frame rate perfect playback.

• l33t-g4m3r

Funny, my player does all that. You just need the right hardware/software.

• Deanjo

Sure it does, after a lot of tweaking, farting around with driver, scaler, post proprocessing, screwing with EDID’s, purchasing the proper software, etc.

or you can purchase a $50-60 standalone player, get all of that in a quieter and less power hungry form factor with guaranteed compatibility.

Also buying Windows from Newegg (and presumably other e-railers) gives you that option.

• ronch

I agree. I don’t know why some people are so eager to get rid of optical drives. It’s still a popular medium and it still comes in handy when you wanna give someone some data on something that you can afford not to ask back for. For example, when I got married the studio gave me the pictures on DVD. Plus, it’s not like optical drives are expensive. My PC has a DVD writer. I don’t use it much either but it’s handy at times and I have a ton of discs that I still may want to access.

• Andrew Lauritzen

Optical is bulky and loud (drive quality varies here but it’s the loudest part of most systems when spinning) and perhaps excepting blurays, has a very low information density in terms of physical storage for this day and age.

I happily give people USB keys… you can get DVD sized ones are larger for <$5 these days (and less if you get a pile in bulk), and for the number of times I need to give someone something big that can’t just be shared over the internet (many cloud services these days), I don’t mind giving/lending them something for a few dollars.

To each his own of course, but I have pretty much zero use for optical beyond watching bluray movies, and I’d be just as happy to store those digitally too if it was more convenient to do that legally.

• l33t-g4m3r

Drive quality does vary. I have a liteon dvd burner which is pretty loud because overspeed is enabled, but I only use it for burning. It may eventually get removed, but there is no need at this time. Then I have a LG Bluray/HDDVD combo burner that cost ~$200+ when it came out, and it’s damn quiet for a disc drive. That I’m keeping. Netflix may be the future, but discs are better right now, not to mention it’s a permanent one time offline purchase. I am most definitely not a fan of the state of digital ownership, and bluray lets me avoid it’s limitations. Try calling my physical disc a service and charging a monthly fee. Such bull.

As for giving people USB keys? Hell, no. Stores around here sell them for $10+, and giving those away like candy would really add up. Not that I give people discs either, but I’d vastly prefer throwing a disc away, or cloud storage. Giving keys away? lol. Why not buy me some new PC components while you’re at it? It adds up.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Try calling my physical disc a service and charging a monthly fee. Such bull.[/quote<] Can be easily done. Heck the Bluray consortium is capable of declaring your device as non compliant and exclude it from any key updates. It has been done before and will likely continue. [url<]http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/01/8710/[/url<]

• l33t-g4m3r

Except that key updates on the pc ARE DONE IN SOFTWARE. Not to mention the cat is out of the bag on bypassing bluray’s encryption. Really. You didn’t think about that statement at all, and it just seems like you’re trolling. 0/10

It wasn’t that I was in a hurry to get rid of it; it’s that when my old one died I figured I’d replace it when I needed it. I haven’t needed it.

• Deanjo

[quote<] or installing an OS.[/quote<] Who the heck uses an outdated optical drive for installing an OS when the drive and media far exceed the cost of a $4 USB stick? (Even then, if you really want to install via optical media, get a cheap USB dvd drive to service all your systems). As far as bluray goes, Buy a stand alone bluray player, cheaper, quieter, far more power efficient, and more reliable.

• l33t-g4m3r

External bluray? Of course a linux user would say that.

Small cases are typically used for htpc, which would be missing a basic video feature without optical.

• Deanjo

HTPC cases are usually enclosed as well to minimize noise. An open air case is counter intuitive towards HTPC uses. Also I recommended a stand alone Bluray player, not an external one.

Only a windows user can have that large of a reading fail.

• l33t-g4m3r

[quote<]"Also I recommended a stand alone Bluray player"[/quote<] Of course. Because Bluray doesn't work in linux.

• Deanjo

Sure it does, maybe you should stick to something you seem to know about.

Not as well as windows.

• Deanjo

Actually better (again, stick to something you know about) and again a stand alone offers a better bluray experience then any “use a pc” experience.

• Bauxite

I weep for people that actually suffer the crap you have to put up with to play a blu-ray “natively” on windows. Makemkv once, store disc, watch many. Actually, I cringe for the hardware players as well, since it seems everything comes with 15 minutes of unskippable crap and really slow loading times, and I don’t mean rentals either.

• l33t-g4m3r

Nobody plays bluray “natively” on the pc. It requires 3rd party software. Some people use on the fly decryption with MPC-HC, others use PowerDVD or it’s alternatives. Of course, you can still decrypt a disc and watch it afterwards, but it’s more convenient to just watch it directly. Oh, and 3d movies probably require nvidia. AMD users would have to get tridef.

• Billstevens

I agree I don’t like loosing the blu-ray player as one use case for mini-itx is a home theater setup. But this case is kind of offensive in a simple home theater.

On the other hand…

For a portable gaming rig a disc drive is mostly a waste of time. Lan parties most people will be transferring game images on usb or over lan for that matter which is even faster than USB. USB sticks hold more than most optical media and they read and write a hell of a lot faster.

Most home theaters probably already have a decent speaker setup with a blu-ray player. Therefor you would only want your media PC there to run digital media.

Pretty much the only reason we ever needed optical disks is because hard drives were small and internet transfer rates were to slow. This is mostly a non-problem now for anyone living in or near an average sized city.

• l33t-g4m3r

As a garish gaming rig, you’d think such people would want the 5.25 bay for LCD displays that control fan speeds and overclocking. As I’ve said before, 5.25 isn’t all about optical. There are multiple uses, and you lose all of them. Being prejudice against optical just isn’t practical.

• Peter.Parker

In case you REALLY don’t want to install your OS via USB, there is always the option of buying a portable DVDRW on USB. It’s about $25 at any decent computer store, and anybody who calls himself a “geek” should have one of those lying around in the house.

• Kougar

Why spend 10 minutes installing an OS from a DVD when you can spend just 3 to install it from a USB 3.0 flash drive?

• Pez