Leak reveals next-gen Kindle with 300-PPI screen

Yes, Amazon updates its Kindle e-readers every year, so it's kind of a given that a new model is coming this fall. This year's refresh may actually be interesting, though. According to The Verge, the next model will be called the Kindle Voyage, and it will feature a 300 PPI screen.

300 PPI would represent a 42% increase in pixel density over the Kindle Paperwhite, whose 6", 768×1024 e-ink panel yields only 212 PPI. The Verge says the Kindle Voyage will stick with the same 6" display size, so I guess that means the resolution will wind up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1440×1050. The extra pixels should do wonders for font rendering, which isn't the Paperwhite's current strong suits.

This information comes from premature listings on Amazon Germany and Amazon Japan, so it's probably legit. The Verge even snagged a picture of the Kindle Voyage from an Amazon manual. The shot shows a device not unlike the current Paperwhite, but with a thinner frame and sensors on the left and right parts of the bezel. Apparently, the sensors will let you turn pages by "pressing lightly on the bezel." The Kindle Voyage is also supposed to be slightly thinner and lighter than the Papwerwhite. According to Amazon Japan, it will be 8-mm (0.31") thick and weigh 186 g (6.6 oz), down from 206 g (7.3 oz) and 9.1 mm (0.36") for the Paperwhite.

• bthylafh

Gratuitous, is that you?

• dragosmp

+1 for the page turnkeys or something with tactile feedback as the article mentions

…and a better way to organise collections

• dragosmp

You don’t, but when you find the screen with more PPI it’s hard not to notice the lower-PPI previous version. Overall the new screen should be better, needed or not

• meerkt

Another 6″?! Disappointing if that’s the case. Waiting for ~7″ but cheaper than Kobo Aura HD.

• meerkt

Nah. How about SD?

• Deadsalt

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOY8XWQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=tsm_1_fb_s_kin_nc2owz<]Amazon has the preorder page up.[/url<] The odd thing is there is no mention of how big the storage is. The product description only says "thousands of books". I bet the size is the same as the previous model.

• egon

Curious what Cyril meant by “font rendering … isn’t the Paperwhite’s current strong suit”. Is he talking about the apperance of non-stock fonts or something?

Font size graduations on the Kindle could perhaps be finer (on my Paperwhite, I usually find the fourth size a little too small, the the fifth too large), and I wonder if the current resolution has some bearing on that, or if it’s just an arbitrary limitation.

• Mightyflapjack
    • Forge

Do you often get invited to dinner and urinate on the host? Doesn’t seem like a good plan to me, but maybe I’m not getting all of it.

• morphine

Please don’t do that.

If the video bothers you, don’t click it. It does not autoplay or have sound.

• Norphy

This is for the e-ink line of Kindles? I honestly don’t see the point! I don’t look at my 800×600 Kindle 3 and think “Hmm, I wish the fonts were sharper on this”. 150dpi is enough for text on its own imo.

• Kougar

What’s with the obsession about making things smaller. I’ve heard a lot of Paperwhite users complain about poor battery life with devices lasting not even a week, and not lasting a month if left powered off. Shrinking the weight means the new one will probably be a step back in battery life compared to a Paperwhite.

A light up screen is nice but I’m not interested in sacrificing battery life that lasts weeks of extensive use with my Kindle Touch to get one. Particularly given the Paperwhite halved the storage capacity and removed the audio jack and file support too. The Kindle Voyage is going to have to do better.

• peekpoke

Please bring back the page turn keys, it’s so much more comfortable and reliable than using a touchscreen for page turning.

And put more storage, my Kindle Keyboard has 4GB, all the models since have less.

How about 8GB or maybe 16GB? Some PDFs are huge.

• willmore

Ow, can’t wait for the Nook version of this. I love my rooted Nook Simple Touch running fbreader, but higher resolution, better contrast, and some kind of lighting would be nice.

• Neutronbeam

Color e-ink is another technology of the future…and it always will be. ;->

• ET3D

I wonder what you’re talking about.

• mesyn191

Would rather have color e-ink with OK refresh time at current resolutions then high res black/white/greyscale e-ink.

Supposedly color e-ink has been ‘coming soon’ for years now. What gives?!

• HisDivineOrder

Sensors on the bezel sounds like a recipe for a lot of mistaken page turns to me, but perhaps they’ve got some magic to keep that from happening.

Then again, this IS the company that just made the Amazon Fire Phone and priced it at $200 AFTER 2 year commitment to ONLY AT&T, so they don’t seem to be firing on all cylinders.

• Billstevens

I see nothing wrong with the touch screen only paper white 2. Its feather light, the battery last over a month. Its pure joy to read on.

I guess the page marking I can see as an issue though. Finger accuracy varies with patience and hand size.

• Mightyflapjack
    • Terra_Nocuus

I have a Kobo Aura HD which is much, much better than my Kindle 3… but I so miss the side buttons.

• bthylafh

Bring back the 5-way controller. I went back to my Kindle 3 from a first-gen Paperwhite because I prefer the 5-way’s precision for marking passages, etc. vs. the Paperwhite’s touchscreen. Also the side buttons for switching pages.

Share this post with your friends!