Custom mechanical switches line Logitech’s G910 gaming keyboard

Logitech is the latest keyboard maker with its own mechanical switch design. The proprietary Romer-G switches have the same 45-g actuation force as Cherry MX red and brown switches, but their 1.5-mm actuation point is slightly shallower, which should make for a quicker response. There’s no mention of a tactile “bump” at actuation, suggesting the stroke is fully linear, just like with MX red and black switches.

The Romer-G switches are debuting in Logitech’s new G910 Orion Spark, which is claimed to be the most advanced mechanical gaming keyboard in the world. (Add your own movie-trailer voiceover.) I’m not so sure about that assertion, but the G910 certainly looks well equipped. It has sculpted key caps, nine programmable buttons, three configuration profiles, two different palm rests, and the usual array of media-specific buttons. There’s even an integrated smartphone stand.

Source: Logitech

The backlighting is pretty slick, too. Users can choose each key’s color from a palette of 16.8 million hues. As far as I can tell, the LEDs are mounted on the surface of the board instead of on the switches themselves. A “light pipe” channels the glow into the key cap, purportedly providing more even illumination than traditional backlights. This approach is also supposed to cut down on light bleed between the keys.

With a $179.99 asking price, the G910 Orion Spark certainly isn’t cheap. The custom keys are supposed to be more durable than Cherry MX units, though, and the promise of quicker actuation could appeal to serious gamers. Expect to see the G910 on sale in November.

• culotso

It’s got a volume knob though, so it wins majorly in one area. I only wish that DasKeyboard would put out a tenkeyless with their fantastic knob. Keyboard with no volume knob is insult!

Totally read that as Onion Spark. Maybe the Fontening isn’t so great after all. 😛

• Coyote_ar

So many people commenting on the colors … did you miss this line?

“Users can choose each key’s color from a palette of 16.8 million hues.”

That means, if you like a f-ing rainbow, you get a rainbow. If you like a single color or 2 … then just use 1-2.

Whats the problem with giving people options, if you dont like it, you dont use it … geez.

PS: no i dont like it either, but im quite amazed about that 16.8m hues … thats a lot.

• ptsant

A great innovation, that nobody so far has mentioned, is the ability to [b<]use a smartphone as secondary display[/b<] on the keyboard in conjunction with a special app. Instead of using a dedicated display as other Logitech keyboards, they found a way to link with a smartphone. Obviously, I'm waiting for a thorough review, but the list of features does look good.

• sweatshopking

Probably only fits iPhone 4 size phones. I doubt my 1520 would

• B.A.Frayd

All you color complainers bother to actually read the article? Each key can be individually colored. This means that this MARKETING PHOTO is NOT the way the keyboard looks, unless you are gay and actually configure it that way.

• l33t-g4m3r

Here’s the $179.99 dollar question: Is it waterproof?

I like programmable buttons, but they need to be placed in reachable areas. I know everyone’s gung ho for mechanical, but a while back I found a reasonably priced non-mechanical waterproof keyboard with easily accessible extra buttons. No lights. Does the job, and cleaning it is super easy, since I just hose it off. Not really planning on replacing it, unless mechanical can match it’s practicality.

Also, that thing better have a cushy wrist rest for $180, and it doesn’t look like it.

• ptsant

[quote<] Also, that thing better have a cushy wrist rest for $180, and it doesn't look like it. [/quote<] It comes with 2 wrist rests, short and long.

• MadManOriginal

There’s something I’ve always wanted to ask a person who needs to clean their keyboard that badly: Why?

Do you feel it’s appropriate to let your keyboard become so dirty that you need to hose it off?

It’s the emperor’s new clothes. Nobody wants to point out the obviousness of how ridiculous having a dirty keyboard is. It’s like hardcore dirty people can’t get enough attention, so they start hosing off their keyboards.

Nothing against dirty keyboard people, but I think keyboard hosing goes too far.

• Antias

OMG that is soooo gay!
    It’s got more colour than the last pride march I went on!

…and as a gay man i can get away with saying that 🙂

• l33t-g4m3r

There’s something I’ve always wanted to ask a person who participates in those parades: Why?

Also, because I remember reading an related article in USA today: Do you feel it’s appropriate to hijack other parades, such as ST. Patrick’s day? I don’t, and I’d kick those people out, but since big parades are super PC, they get away with it.

It’s the emperor’s new clothes. Nobody wants to point out the obviousness of how ridiculous these stunts are. It’s like hardcore paraders can’t get enough attention, so they start forcing people to notice by hijacking other parades. Well, people do notice the circus when it’s in town. Just nobody normally says anything.

Nothing against gay people, but I think parade invasion goes too far, and I don’t see the point of the regular parades either, aside from the basic impulse to dress like a clown, which we normally have comicon for. Sense, it makes none.

• destroy.all.monsters

I think a better question as to why someone would march in any parade is – why not?

I think it’s great. Everyone should have some kind of effing parade.

There’s a whole history to Pride parades – and one of the biggest reasons is to show solidarity within the greater “quiltbag” community and to make it much safer for those of us in it. It is the fact that we’re seen at all that gives us any amount of political power as opposed to disorganized groups such as the men’s movement.

About your other question I know nothing about it nor do I have a grasp of the underlying politics thereof.

tl,dr- builds community, and makes it safer.

• Antias

Hmmm – that ones a little more complex than this forum can allow me to answer, but i’ll give as best i can..
        Imagine being thrown out at 15 yrs old cause you “came out” and your family (all of em right up to and including grandparents) totally disowned you… No clothes (cept’ whats on your back), no money, There’s no local school or community center that supports gay youth and the local cops even rough you up if caught hanging in warm business doorways at night just to stay warm.
        You had no where to go, no one to talk to, no one to take care of you.. you feel so alone and scared that suicide seems like the only way out of the nightmare. Eventually you migrate to the bigger city and…
        Then you DO discover a community of like minded people MARCHING right past the doorway your sleeping in, welcoming, friendly, supportive. Letting you know that your not a sinner, your not a freak, your a good person..
        Suddenly that community becomes VERY important to you.. and along the way you understand, letting other young people like yourself know its ok also becomes very important. They saved you, so you can save others…

Make a little sense??
        Look up youth suicide statistics and see what percentage of them are sexual orientation related… you may be surprised!

Anyway – this is not a whine – this is giving someone hopefully an understanding of why Pride Marches are important… A lot like in my childhood going to the war veterans marches with my grandfather – the pride in his eyes while with so many like minded military men!

• l33t-g4m3r

Don’t have that problem here. Nor do gays feel the need to dress up like clowns. I have a few friends from school who are gay, and nobody gave them a hard time about it. They also share my opinion on the parading. Who in their right mind wants to do that? IMO, the parades are less about being gay, and more about doing drag in public for the attention.

Also, suicidal thoughts is a mental condition that people need to seek therapy for. It doesn’t matter if you’re gay. People of all types become suicidal, as it’s a mental problem, not a condition of being gay. If you’re still having issues, then you need to see a psychiatrist and maybe even be on meds that stabilize your mood.

Speaking of mental conditions, people who have depression, bipolar disorder, adhd, etc, have problems integrating into society. It’s not because they’re gay. Therapy is the answer, although you could classify these parades as a form of therapy in your case. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t seek out professional help if it’s needed.

• Antias

I see your point and for the “most” part I would agree with you… except for the fact that most homeless youths don’t have the $ to pay for therapy… and, as is often the case with youths, aren’t even aware that support like that exists…
            But your probably right, Mental illness is the problem. I’m not a social worker or counselor or shrink so i probably shouldn’t make judgement’s of other youths purely based on my own experiences.
            I apologize if I offended anyone.

• sweatshopking

THIS IS THE PLACE TO ASK THIS QUESTION.

• NeelyCam

Would it be more appropriate to you to dress up like Uncle Sam, with the flag of the USA painted on one’s face?

• sweatshopking

THAT IS ALWAYS APPROPRIATE. JUST REMEMBER THAT UNCLE SAM IS WHITE AND MALE, SO IF YOU’RE NOT, GET SURGERY PLEASE.

• l33t-g4m3r

Not in the St. Patrick’s day parade. I wouldn’t have a problem with it on a patriotic holiday though.

I dunno, maybe I shouldn’t be too hard on it, if the parade is completely informal and only about drinking. But that wasn’t my first impression.

Like I said, I have no problem with the individual parades, even if they are stupid. Just “dressing up like Uncle Sam” in an unrelated parade. I find that rude and disrespectful, and I don’t think it should be allowed on the basis of being PC. Yeah, you’re trying to be nice, but that’s not a pride parade. I don’t think the other paraders appreciate being invaded, even if they are being nice and inclusive about it.

• Crackhead Johny

Pride is now like St patty’s day. People join with gays for a day of drinking at Pride, just like they join the Irish for a day of drinking on St Patty’s. I imagine in places where Cinco De Mayo is big you get a lot of people joining Hispanics/Latinos in drinking.

I feel that every group should have a day where they can do a parade and we can all go drink heavily with them. 365 parades a year!

• MadManOriginal

Yup, basically everything is an excuse to drink.

• sweatshopking

Not at my house. I don’t drink.

• destroy.all.monsters

I feel you. Color me not a fan.

• willmore

Wait, which ‘gay’ is this? Please pick one:

1) joyful and light hearted
      2) of or relating to homosexuality
      3) taunt used by hormonally crazed 12 year old boys

I can sort of see 1. 2 seems odd for a keyboard. 3 seems about right.

• floodo1

looks like they tried way too hard.
    good job on making it look like a spaceship control panel or something though 🙂

• MarkG509

I like that 1.5 mm actuation point, versus about 2.2 – 2.5 for the Cherries. No word on how many grams of force it takes, but if it’s light, e.g. 30 grams, I might be interested (assuming I can tone down the horrid back-light colors).

• Vaughn

lol all that colour where is the lcd?

In the 1980s, this is what we thought FUTURISTIC CYBER KEYBOARDS would look like

Now it just looks like a stupid mess.

• kvndoom

I dunno, I still remember Ripley reading messages on a green-screen CRT in [i<]Alien[/i<]. In those days, any computer at all was THE FUTURE, since they were so far above most people's reach.

• Pez

That’s made by MadKatz 😉

• Sabresiberian

I like it.

I’m not sure what the deal is anyway. Why go to the effort to make a negative post about something’s looks? I mean, not even an open-minded one like “I’m sure there are some people that like this thing but in case Logitech is reading this thread, I don’t like it at all”, instead of a flat-out statement made as though some authority made you the be-all, end-all in judging appearances.

Also, you are clearly unaware, despite it having said so in the article, that all those color choices are completely up to the person that uses it. You can program it any kind of way you want to, including turning all the backlights off.

In my opinion your comment would have been funny if you’d stopped with the “futuristic cyber keyboard” part and left off the “stupid mess” judgmentalism.

• Farting Bob

You can choose the backlight colour for each key. Make them all a sensible colour or turn it off and really the only garish thing on there is the wrist rest, which you can take off. it’s a very customisable KB, they show it with its insane key colours because they want to show off the fact it can do all that.

• LoneWolf15

Taste the rainbow.

(but remember, licking your keyboard is gross.)

• KeillRandor

I can type a rainbow, too.

• destroy.all.monsters

Apparently the G stands for garish.

Looking forward to the eyebleaching needed for the G1010 next year.

• donkeycrock

You had me at hello!

• Khali

Meh, its Logitech. Enough reason for me to stay away.

• TwoEars

I still have my G15 v2 keyboard.

The keys are silent… which I like.

And that little display is awesome. With EVGA Precision X I can get it to display my current SLI setup.

Current MHz card 1, temp card 1, % load
    Card 1 used mem
    Current MHz card 2, temp card 2, % load
    Card 2 used mem

It’s small an unobtrusive yet allows me to see what’s going on with the graphic cards. I might stock up on a G19 before they disappear….

• NeelyCam

Needs more pink.

• oldog

This keyboard has all the colors of the rainbow ROYGBIV. No pink, I don’t think.

• MadManOriginal

If I’m going to buy Chinese Cherry MX knockoffs, they need to be cheaper, not more expensive.

• Klyith

These aren’t cherry knockoffs this time, it’s a unique switch that seems to be based on ALPS type switches. It’s still a lot of money for a keyboard — especially when you are paying $100 over a average mechanical for bling.

• MadManOriginal

hmm, ok then…substitute knockoff Cherry MX for knockoff ALPS or Topre.

But I may be giving them too much flak after seeing all the marketing bs from Razer about their Cherry knockoffs. I guess reviewers who can be trusted will need to evaluate it to see.

• internetsandman

Meanwhile I’m just waiting for a keyboard that’s just the home keys (no arrow keys or number block) with MX Black or similar switches. The closest I’ve found is the Ducky Mini but reviews say the keys feel mushy AFAIK

Keyboards like this almost seem unweildly large

• Price0331

Like this one: [url<]http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=922[/url<]

• Milo Burke

Is the 16.8 million colors before or after dithering? How bad is the ghosting? Any measurements on gray-to-gray response time? And what are the viewing angles? Good enough to use in a 3×1 array?

• willmore

They’re probably PWM modulated which means they’re really 8 color and a *lot* of dithering.

• Farting Bob

It’s only got a 22×7 resolution. Pretty terrible PPI.

• tay
    • tay

I would be embarrassed to own something like this.
    [url<]http://images.rapgenius.com/cdcd7a3368ab58a8565ede6309f4f192.660x330x1.jpg[/url<]

• SomeOtherGeek

Ok, rant of the day. I warned you all.

Why can’t they make a programmer’s keyboard? I mean, a keyboard that can be color coded for shortcuts. I have seen one or two, but they are horribly expensive. This one is way overkill – almost looks amateurish.

• slowriot

What kind of programmer is looking down at their keyboard?

• SomeOtherGeek

The kind that program at night and use SHIFT-ALT or SHIFT-CTRL while typing function keys a lot of the times. Or are they lousy typist, maybe? My hands just don’t reach that far. All I really want is the Shift, Alt, Ctrl and F# keys to light up and the rest to be dark.

• l33t-g4m3r

Wasn’t there some keyboard with an arm chip released a while back? That thing could probably do what you want.

Edit: Actually this one might too.

• deinabog