Acer’s G-Sync-infused 4K monitor priced at $800

After years of stagnation, the PC monitor scene is enjoying a bit of renaissance. There are 4K displays with ultra-high pixel densities and G-Sync units with variable refresh rates. And then there's Acer's 28" XB280HK, which has both. Acer hasn't posted a picture of the display yet, but here are a couple shots of its little brother, the 27" XB270H:

Source: Acer

The smaller monitor has a relatively pedestrian 1080p resolution, but its refresh rate scales up to 144Hz, a fair bit higher than the 4K unit's 60Hz peak. Limited DisplayPort bandwidth is likely responsible for the lower maximum refresh rate. G-Sync doesn't require higher refresh rates to smooth in-game animation, though. Besides, even high-end graphics hardware struggles to maintain 60 FPS when rendering the latest games at 4K resolutions.

Although the panel types aren't detailed, both monitors have 160° vertical viewing angles, suggesting they're based on TN technology. Acer claims the 28-incher can produce 1.07 billion colors, while its sibling is rated for 16.7 million hues. Some form of dithering is probably involved with both. Other specs include 300 cd/m² brightness ratings, 1000:1 contrast ratios, 1-ms response times, and 72% NTSC gamut coverage.

The displays have anti-glare coatings, fully adjustable stands, and integrated USB 3.0 hubs with fast charging support. The XB270H is already available online for $599.99—the lowest price we've seen for a G-Sync display—while the XB280HK is set to start selling next month for $799.99.

• Krogoth

TNs aren’t that bad. The IPS snobs just exaggerate the viewing angle issues and/or were using TN panels back in 1990s (which were terrible).

IPS have better color accuracy, but it is no match for a decent CRT.

• gamoniac

Oops. Not spam but an honest cut-and-paste mistake. The good news is the deal is still available — [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0007-00009&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10487648&PID=1800524&SID=[/url<]

• cynan

But I’d take the 23″ version of the 24″ Dell I linked to in my above post that you can often find for [url=http://www.amazon.com/Dell-YDPKC-23-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00EMB4KVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411501856&sr=1-1&keywords=Dell+P2314H<]around $150[/url<] as that does without the touch screen layer, which can't do image quality any favors. And as Microsoft has discovered - and by the looks of things, Lenovo too - ain't nobody got time for touch input on a desktop display.

• superjawes

You will if you want to stay above 30 FPS. GSync can’t refresh slower than that.

• Pwnstar

You don’t need two with Gsync.

• Pwnstar

This is spam.

• Pwnstar

I just read that TFT review and it clearly says the ROG Swift can strobe the backlight.

• jihadjoe

More like better greys. Even when calibrated black on IPS still isn’t very black.
    People who really want good blacks should be going for PVA/MVA.

• Aistic

I have the same monitor. The Dell U2312HM is low cost e-IPS, which loses out in terms of black blacks, but has better response times than “regular” IPS monitors.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]IPS for desktop is very overpriced these days.[/quote<] Ars dealmaster just had a lenovo 23" 1080p IPS monitor for $150 last weekend. IPS and VA panels are better priced than ever.

• MadManOriginal

DAT Scandinavian socialism currency

• Airmantharp

This is TR; the masses won’t believe you, even if you point to articles written by the site’s staff 😀

• jessterman21

All my money trees make me water them with champagne and fertilize them with peacock manure.

And even then, they only sprout Danish kroner…

• UnfriendlyFire

A good quality TN panel makes it somewhat hard to spot the color shift unless if you’re viewing it from an extreme angle.

I’ve seen one of those. Had a hard time telling the difference between an IPS panel that was sitting next to it.

• ripple123

Yeah. Theres not a single TN out there that dosent have awful color shift in at least one direction.

• cynan

Oh, I don’t know. How much less than [url=http://www.amazon.com/Dell-WHXV7-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00EMB4KVI<]$190[/url<] did you pay for that 24" TN? The Dell in the link has an AH-IPS panel (according to a review site), USB 2.0 hub, DVI and DP inputs, and a stand that allows you to rotate 90 degrees. Sure, for most gaming, TN is fine. But people use monitors for other things. And if IPS doesn't cost that much more...

• vargis14

Yes Airmantharp I am totally with you on you need 2 970’s or 2 980’s.

I know I have been tooting my 34″ IPS 3440-1440 res 21:9 monitors are the best resolution to size monitors available since your only pushing 2.5 times a 1080p panel or 4.95 million pixels and a small 28″ 4k panel is pushing 4X the pixels of a 1080p panel or 8.25 million pixels….you do the math. So it will work with last gen cards like my SLI 4gb 770’s and a single 980 would work great also. My 2 4gb770’s would struggle to push a 4k monitor and I think a single 980 would also push the card to its limits. I think a lot of people do not realize 4k is like running 4 1080p panels in eyfinity/surround gaming your pushing so many darned pixels. I know i am repeating myself but the 34″ 3440-1440 IPS panel that is like 2.4-2.5 times a 1080p monitor is a much more manageable amount of pixels to push for a 970/980 and older card like my 4gb 770’s in SLI….Now this resolution on 34” is that the PPI is the same as a 27” 2560×1440 monitor at 110 PPI. This is a very nice combination to have for both legibility of text and on-screen real-estate. the small 28″ 4k monitor has something like 154 PPI…that many PPI might be super important for a medical monitor or a cell phone.

Plus the text on a 28inch 4 panel is sooooo tiny and small and so many things like chrome and other programs have font issues running such a high resolution panel. Sure you can fit 4 really small 1080p boxes inside of the 28″ small monitor for productivity but in all reality the 34″ ultra widescreen 3440-1440 34″ IPS panels is awesome for productivity along with gaming. It is a perfect 2 monitor solution with a single panel giving you side by side 5:4 pictures with 1720/1440 resolution that is perfect for websites. Also if you are into movie editing the 34″ widescreen gives you so much more work space..same goes for excel worksheets.
    EDIT” lets make this a little longer BTW the IPS panels used on the 34″ 21/9 monitors are pretty much all made by LG and they have beautiful color reproduction and a fast enough 5ms response time. I am looking forward to seeing how much cheaper AOC’s 34″ LG powered monitor is going to be since it has a proper stand that allows much more height and angle adjustment letting you turn the panel 90 degrees. Also it does not have the 2 daisy chaining Thunderbolt connections for the MACheads…so that should drop the price a bit also..BTW it looks awesome also…I think It is going for 499 British pounds and since we get stuff a bit cheaper then the rest of the world in america I do not know what the price will work out to be…but you can look at it here at [url<]http://thepcenthusiast.com/aoc-u3477pqu-34-inch-wqhd-ips-monitor-released/[/url<] Soooo nice

• albundy

as is always the case. someone needs to be the guinea pig, or else the product line stops. unfortunately, i am not one with a tree that grows money for free.

• Airmantharp

You’re going to want two of those GTX980’s…

• Plazmodeus

So long as you’ve got a decent proc, that pegs the price of a buff 4k gaming upgrade at $1350 – $800 for the monitor + $550 for a GTX 980.

• Ryhadar

Maybe but I think the same could be said for TN? At any rate, VA really is in a league of its own in terms of contrast/black depth.

• gamoniac

I posted this newegg deal in the HotDeal thread. It might be useful to someone looking for a 4K or SSD. The deal includes a free Samsugn 240 EVO SSD.

[url<]http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245/2#articleContent[/url<] Edit: Oops. My bad, but apparently the deal is still on at newegg -- [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0007-00009&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10487648&PID=1800524&SID=[/url<]

• Tumbleweed

You’ll often see much better blacks on IPS after it’s been calibrated.

• Tumbleweed

Also, the larger the display you get, the more you’ll want IPS because of the much better viewing angles – otherwise you’ll see color shifting from side to side.

• Airmantharp

Never miss a chance to remind people why voting for the guy that promises to give you the most free stuff is always a GREAT idea!

• blastdoor

Fair points.

My preference for IPS is because I like the wide viewing angles.

well that’s cool. I wasn’t aware of the monitor and looked it up. Anything to keep input lag and ghosting down to a minimum is good for a gaming monitor.

• Jason181

That sounds like the first “120 hz” televisions, that didn’t really refresh 120 times per second. Personally, a “refresh” means the pixels are changed (if necessary), and not just repainting the same pixels multiple times.

To me, it’s a lie to say that they have a 120 hz refresh rate if the pixels aren’t capable of changing to the correct color within that timeframe.

Usually they are measuring gray-to-gray response time, which I believe is best-case scenario, which is why many monitors are rated with much lower response times than their refresh rate would require.

• Ryhadar

[quote=”TwoEars”<]If you're a movie fan who like black blacks, or an RPG gamer who like black blacks then IPS probably has the edge.[/quote<] Meh... blacks aren't really that great on IPS panels. I think overall the blacks from IPS are a bit better versus TN, but I wasn't really able to notice much of an improvement. If you're searching for really impressive contrast ratio I think a VA panel is the one to look for. I had one of those for a bit and the black levels are remarkable.

• brucethemoose

Response time is arguably more important than refresh rate. To human eyes, slow pixel transitions blur the action.

In fact, strobed backlight technology is designed to hide these nasty transition phases.

low response times are generally equated with a lack of visible ghosting, which is separate than the frame buffer being refreshed at X Hz.

• brucethemoose

I don’t think pixels absolutely have to finish changing states before the next refresh. In fact, that’s the idea behind the FG2421… The internal 240Hz refresh rate is faster than the VA panel can keep up with, but refreshing the pixels so frequently (and overdriving them 1/2 the time) helps them get to the proper state faster.

• cmrcmk

That’s pretty much how I understood it. If that is the case, though, why bother making such a big deal out of response time? Newegg lists the response time for monitors far more often than the refresh rate it seems. But a 60 Hz panel with a 2ms response time might as well have a 16 ms response time, right?

• NeelyCam

Sorry – I was hungry, and I though it would have chili in it

• Cannonaire

The ROG Swift review I believe you’re talking about (the PG278Q [url=http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm<]reviewed here[/url<]) does cover the ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) feature, which uses backlight strobing. It is the same thing as LightBoost, but it doesn't require 3D Vision or tricks to get it to function. Aside from that, I would think it is up to the manufacturer to decide whether to include it or not. I would bet it is [i<]not[/i<] included on the 4K model because of the 60hz maximum refresh rate - backlight strobing is very visible and problematic at 60hz. *EDIT* I realized you might have been talking about PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), which is a method for controlling the backlight brightness on some panels and can cause flickering. The ROG Swift does not use PWM, which is good.

• UnfriendlyFire

You just opened a can of worms…

• UnfriendlyFire

There’s a huge difference between a blue-tinted, 768p TN panel, and a premium TN panel.

It’s just that it’s harder to make bottom-of-the-barrel IPS panels.

I’m with you. Now that I have an IPS display I can’t see myself going back. I just don’t want to deal with color shifting anymore.

• brucethemoose

As far as I know, they aren’t closely related.

Response time measures how fast individual pixels can change states, refresh rate is some arbitrary frequency the LCD refreshes at. Response time is limited by the physical characteristics of the LCD itself, refresh rate is (generally) limited by the LCD controller/scaler and the interface.

You can get a “slow” LCD with a high refresh rate (like the OC’d Korean 1440p monitors, or the FG2421) and you can get a “fast” LCD with a low refresh rate (like 4k IGZO or TN monitors at 30hz, or nicer TN panels at 60hz).

I don’t think there’s a ton of relationship between them. Your response time has to be lower than the milliseconds each frame is displayed but beyond that, it’s just how long it takes a pixel to change colors, IIRC.

60Hz = 16.67ms, 120Hz = 8.33ms, and so you need response times lower than that. 1ms response times should mean that there’s basically no ghosting.

• drfish

You can say that again. If this has the same panel as the Asus PB287Q or the Samsung UD590 it just might be “good enough” for me.

• cmrcmk

Can someone enlighten me on the relationship between the refresh rate (Hz) and response time (ms)? I feel I have a good grasp on what each one is technically, but the relationship between them eludes me.

• TwoEars

You are correct, the ROG swift does not have a strobed light.

I can’t stand monitors that have that.

• TwoEars

I would say that they have their strengths and weaknesses.

A good quality TN will always have faster response times and less lag, so if you’re an fps gamer definitely go TN. All the best gaming displays these days are TN.

If you’re a movie fan who like black blacks, or an RPG gamer who like black blacks then IPS probably has the edge.

But you can’t really say the IPS always has better color than TN and so on these days, there are horrible IPS displays just like there are great TN displays.

I’ve had TN displays from Eizo and they were fantastic, now I have the ROG swift and it’s the best display for my needs that I’ve ever owned. Period.

• MINIMAN10000

Just saw ROG swift over on tftcentral, it did not have a strobed backlight so I would say it is still entirely up to the monitor manufacturer is choose if the backlight is strobed or not, go figure after all it is outside of the scope of gsync.

• blastdoor

The key question is — compared to what?

I would guess that the French probably have better health care and social programs. I don’t know how tax burden compares between the UK and France, though, so I don’t know which country is getting the better deal.

Comparing to the US is trickier because (1) a larger share of total taxation takes place at the state and local level in the US than the UK and (2) I have the impression that in the UK they rely more heavily on VAT while in the US most states and localities rely more heavily on property tax. So if you live in the UK and think Americans are better off because our sales taxes are lower than your VAT, don’t forget about our higher property taxes.

• kamikaziechameleon

IPS for desktop is very overpriced these days. TN has come a long ways, I have a 24″ TN in my triple monitor array with two IPS and honestly only in blues is there a difference, the TN brings up the blues making them brighter but I haven’t been able to detect a vast disparity for a non graphics user otherwise. Any gamer would be happy to have a modern TN panel assuming the size and resolution is adequate.

• brucethemoose

Out of curiosity, do all G-Sync monitors include a strobed backlight as well?

• sschaem

Social programs like free taxi services for troubled young girls?

• cynan

Often soon to be disappointed is he who jumps at the first round of products bearing new tech.

Throw in a non-TN panel, DP 1.3 (and corresponding ASIC) for 60Hz+ at a price of < $1K for a display of this size and resolution, and this segment will start to get interesting.

Beware the transition product! Beware!!

• Meadows

4K with G-sync? Interesting.

• geekl33tgamer

Live here for a month, then re-visit that statement… 😉

• Ryhadar

I’m in the opposite boat. I like my Dell U2312HM a lot but I don’t really notice much difference between the TNs I have at work. Not particular to IPS but my monitor also has a pretty high level coating of anti glare, which definitely makes light colors look “dirty”. I have my eyes set on a higher refresh free-sync monitor personally. TN/IPS/VA whatever — as long as the price is good.

My work and play aren’t really color accurate sensitive though, for what it’s worth.

• NeelyCam

It pays for your top-notch universal health-care and other good social programs. You should be happy to pay that tax.

• geekl33tgamer

This will be the one that popped up at OCUK earlier, priced at £900?

Thank you UK tax rates, thanks a lot… :-/

• blastdoor

Every screen I look at these days is IPS. I’m not going back to TN. I don’t care what the TN shills say.

Share this post with your friends!