FCC docs show Intel’s reference Broadwell ultrabook

Wondering what next year's ultrabooks might look like? Wonder no more. The FCC has posted a spate of documents concerning what looks to be Intel's reference Broadwell ultrabook—a machine named in the documents as a "5th-generation Intel Core Processor-based Solution Development System (SDS)" and described as a "business and consumer focused Ultrabook 2-in-1 convertible device." The documents include several pictures…

…and a full list of specs:

(Check the image gallery below for high-res versions of the above and other shots.)

The machine is apparently powered by a 15W dual-core Broadwell-ULT processor and outfitted with a 13.3" 3200×1800 display. There's also a 360-degree hinge (à la Lenovo's Yoga series), 8GB of LP-DDR3 RAM, a 180GB M.2 solid-state drive, a 50Wh battery, and support for literally all of the wireless technologies: 4G LTE, 802.11ad (WiGig), 802.11ac, and Bluetooth 4.0.

Intel says the system weighs 3.4 lbs and is 0.73" thick. That's a little on the portly side for a convertible ultrabook, but remember this isn't a production system.

Based on what Intel has told us, the first Broadwell incarnation to hit the market will be Broadwell-Y, which will materialize as the Core M inside slim convertibles later this year. Broadwell-U, the ultrabook variant that powers the reference machine pictured above, isn't expected to show up in shipping systems until early 2015. (Thanks to Liliputing for the link.)

• sweatshopking

TOUCHSCREEN, BROS. ALWAYS TOUCHSCREENS

• TwoEars

The most interesting feature looks to be the nuclear detonator at the bottom right. I wonder if it’s standard or I’ll have to pay extra.

• tipoo

It’s Intel, so the processors that have the nuclear detonator option will be decided by throws of the dice.

If only laptop manufacturers could resist the temptation to “style” their models and make something like this.

It may not be the sexiest piece of kit ever made, but it DOES look functional and I’m sick to death of weird-ass styling. If it wasn’t Acer, the S3 ultrabook would be my choice of looks.

[url=http://delimiter.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/acer4.jpg<]Yeah, this one[/url<].

• SomeOtherGeek

I notice there is no mention of Windows 10. Only 8.1.

• Grape Flavor

Of course not, Windows 10 isn’t actually out yet. Why would a reference design laptop use an unfinished prototype OS?

I’m sure this thing will be able to run the final version of Windows 10 just fine when the day comes.

• sweatshopking

I’D RATHER THEY STOP MAKING THINNER AND LIGHTER AND MAKE IT FASTER AND INCLUDE A FAN. CRANK UP THOSE GPU MHZ AND THROW A FAN ON THAT BADBOY. MAKE THE BATTERY A LITTLE BIGGER AND LET ME USE IT FOR 20 HOURS.

• rootheday3

This is not the fanless CoreM 4.5w part (broadwell y series) – this is the 15W u series part with a fan.

Given the perf/watt bump from 14nm, I would expect higher clock rates could be sustained and thus higher perf than haswell equivalent in same form factor.

• sweatshopking

LOTS OF THE NEW 15W PARTS ARE FANLESS. SEE THE NEW HELIX FOR AN EXAMPLE.

• jihadjoe

+1 low wattage part in a regular sized 13″ enclosure for 20 hours of use plox!

• TwoEars

WHAT’S WITH THE LOWERCASE BRO? CAN’T FIND YOUR CAPSLOCK KEY? SERIOUSLY?

• sweatshopking

Oh man, so I was confused. Seems the new y series is the 4.5w EXCEPT WHEN THEY RUN AT 15W. They’re not supposed to do it very long, but they do jump up that high. SO CONFUSED FOR A WHILE, BUT NOW I GOT IT SORTED.

• Milo Burke

I’M STARTING TO FIND SSK’S POSTS SOMEWHAT ENDEARING. PLEASE, SOMEONE, TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

• slowriot

I REALLY DO THINK WE SHOULD ALL START POSTING LIKE THIS.

NOTHING. WELCOME TO THE tECH rEPORT.

• CreoleLakerFan

What you are looking for is available, just not in the form of an Ultrabook. Minus the 20 hours, of course.

• Prestige Worldwide

Looks like an older Macbook Pro.

• chuckula

It’s just a model!

More seriously, reference notebooks are nice to look at, but we’re never going to actually buy one.

• UnfriendlyFire

FX-7600P reference notebook would be something I would buy.

Because there are no FX-7600Ps in laptops smaller than 15.6″

• Milo Burke

I think this is the link you were looking for: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc[/url<]

• LoneWolf15

Don’t know why you were downvoted. I thought it looked like an MBP too.

• UnfriendlyFire

“outfitted with a 13.3″ 3200×1800 display”

Pentile or standard IPS? Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Samsung ATIV Book 9, and Asus UX303LN all ran into issues with the 1800p Pentile display of rendering yellow as mustard-green.

It doesn’t even try to maintain color accuracy, and the software/BIOS/firmware fixes only partially alleviates the issue.

• kamikaziechameleon

This is the world we live in. MS needs to step up and start making a few standards for consumers sake because honestly the price dif in good vs bad product components is negligible.

• terranup16

Having a Yoga 2 Pro, the yellow is annoying at times, but for the majority of the system’s use cases, I’d take the 3200×1800 display and its high DPI and other than yellow entirely unnoticeable pentile over a more yellow-accurate 1080p. White, black, and blue tend to be the only colors on the screen 99% of my usage time with this anyway.

• UnfriendlyFire

Considering the poor support of high DPI displays (Adobe, I’m looking at you), I’d much prefer a color/gamma accurate and high contrast IPS display. Especially when watching movies.

1080p on a 14″ display is quite sharp for me, and I had to use a 125% DPI scaling.

• UberGerbil

I’m with you, though I realize many others here would agree with terranup16. Though a middle ground of 2560×1440 (non-pentile) on that size of screen would be more than enough for me, it’s all moot until the scaling issues in many applications are fixed (Windows itself isn’t really the issue at this point, but some things like web pages are always going to be a problem).

• Milo Burke

This will never stop until the lobbying money from leading mustard companies is stopped.

• Pwnstar

LOL

• UnfriendlyFire

I think people would be concerned if the mustard had a green-tint to it.

Anyone remember those green ketchup a decade ago?

• Meadows

Have you tried this?

[url<]http://microsoft-news.com/bios-update-available-to-fix-yellow-color-issue-in-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-devices/[/url<]

• UnfriendlyFire

There was a Lenovo thread that spanned over 50 pages, started by one person who mentioned that BIOS/firmware fixes did not resolve the yellow issue. And then other users reported the same thing.