InnerSpace is a trippy exploration game with beautiful art

I’m really not sure how to introduce InnerSpace, so I’ll just say this: it’s an upcoming “exploration-heavy flying game” by indie developer PolyKnight Games, and judging by the trailer released this week, it looks beautiful, brain-twisting, and immersive. See for yourself:

According to PolyKnight, InnerSpace features a spherical game world “surrounded by water, where gravity falls away from the center.” Players can fly through both sea and air and clear new paths using the ship’s guns and “wing-blades.” The goal, in PolyKnight’s words, is to “explore the various bubble-worlds, collect relics, and encounter each bubble’s unique patron deity, in order to discover more about the universe, its history, and its future.”

Trippy.

It’s hard to tell how satisfying the game is from the trailer alone. Assuming the mechanics feel right, though, I could see myself playing this thing in a slack-jawed daze for hours on end. Perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the link.)

• Meadows

Now that’s original. Bubble levels with outwards gravity.
    Side-scrollers have been an indie staple for far too long.

This might be fun.

• phileasfogg

Anyone else remember the movie with Dennis Quaid and Martin Short, from the 80s? It was one of my favorites from that era.
    [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innerspace[/url<]

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Voyage[/url<]

• l33t-g4m3r

Looks like yet another indie game in a sea of endless indie games, and there’s no demo/game.

I can barely contain my enthusiasm at this [i<]promotional video[/i<]. Wow. /ben stein -Not to say I wouldn't consider it, but the game DOESN'T EXIST, and there is no release date, making this pretty much non-news.

• TheMonkeyKing

The color pallet reminds me of an older 90s game, a left to right adventure where it was basically hulking like figure (rock monster?) traveling a space station(?) opening and unlocking things. Sort of the old prince of persia but done in an alien environment. Crap, now I’ll spend the rest of the day searching for the title.

• w76

First thing I thought of was one of my favorite early games, Operation Inner Space… Which a quick google reveals is, incredibly, still for sale.

[url<]http://www.sdispace.com/index.html[/url<]

• ApockofFork

I played that! Considering how many files my computer has now it would take many thousands of times as long to complete as it did when I was much younger.

• w76

I think I’ll give the demo a spin again, except I run Win8 x64, not sure how well it’ll run in a VM. Hopefully it’s old enough that raw CPU power can make up for the graphical disadvantages of running in a VM.