Get Shorty: Gigabyte intros mini GeForce GTX 970

Gigabyte already has two GeForce GTX 970 cards in its stable, but both of them are over a foot long, which isn’t exactly ideal for small-form-factor systems. Thankfully, the company is prepping a much shorter version sized for Mini-ITX builds. The GV-N970IXOC-4GD looks to be about 6.7" long, just like the diminutive motherboard form factor.

Despite taking up almost half the space of a full-sized GTX 970, the mini Gigabyte card isn’t short on horsepower. Its 1076MHz base and 1216MHz boost clocks are slightly higher than Nvidia’s stock frequencies for the GPU. The card includes a full 4GB of RAM, too.

Cooling is handled by a dual-slot unit with triple heatpipes and a single fan. The heatpipes poke out of the top of the cooler, pushing the total height to 4.7", a smidgen taller than standard expansion cards. Gigabyte claims the cooler is more effective than the Nvidia reference unit strapped to the GTX 980, which seems a little suspect given the differences in surface area. We may have to get one of these to test for ourselves.

A single eight-pin PCIe connector provides power, while a diverse assortment of display outputs lines the rear I/O plate. Just like Gigabyte’s full-sized GTX 970s, the mini card has three DisplayPort outs, dual DVI ports, and one HDMI. That’s a nice step up over typical GTX 970s, which are limited to a single DP out—and only one 4K or G-Sync display as a result.

Somewhat surprisingly, this shrunken GTX 970 won’t be sold at a premium. Gigabyte says the card will be available for $329.99 when it starts selling in early November.

Gah, it’s too tall!
    If an SFF is so small that it needs a short card, in many cases it will also have height restrictions!

Not only is the PCB about an inch taller than normal, the power socket on the back is facing up, further extending the amount of headroom needed above the card.

I guess this’ll help in tall mITX boxes like the Bitfenix prodigy and Corsair’s attempts at “mini” but those boxes also accommodate long 10″ cards or more without problems, so who is this aimed at?

• TheBulletMagnet

It would fit in my Sugo SG-05 and the BitFenix case with ease. Which case you have that it won’t fit?

I think you’d actually find that this card [b<][i<]doesn't[/i<][/b<] fit in an SG-05, because you'd be unable to power it without removing all the drives. Not only that, but there are quite a few "normal" GTX970 cards that are only 10" anyway. I have a GD-05 which only has an inch or so clearance above the expansion slots, so this wouldn't work for me, but that's pretty normal for many cases in the HTPC market. In fact there are very few HTPC cases that struggle with long cards, it's height that matters. Most of the SFF ITX cubes can take 10" cards or longer, and also have some height clearance issues because that's typically where the PSU or drives go.

• matnath1

Is there a GTX 770 version of this that is out now and cheap? I know of the 760 short I have one, but I am interested in the 770.. I have not been able to find any?
    When is the Gtx 960 coming out? Hopefully it will be a small card.

• Jigar

Love it, will replace my HD7970 with this

• internetsandman

The problem is when you design a card for an ITX length, but you increase the width. I know the power plug would have likely added that width anyway but it still might be cramped in some cases

• NovusBogus

I love these cute-size GPUs, if EVGA doesn’t do one I might have to look into this instead. Or wait for the 960, whatever.

• the

Correction:

“That’s a nice step up over typical GTX 970s, which are limited to a single DP out—and only one 4K or G-Sync display as a result.”

The reference Geforce GTX 970 boards have an HDMI 2.0 port which can drive a 4k display at 60 Hz . Thus two 4k displays per card can be driven (one HDMI 2.0 and one DP 1.2). It is correct that only one G-sync display can be used per reference card though.

• albundy

thats pushing alot of hot air into that small itx cube. they should have directed the heat out through an exhaust.

• jessterman21

Shouldn’t be any more heat than the shorty GTX 670 and 760s of the past few years. The 970 actually has a lower TDP than both.

• chuckula

Mini-me, you complete me!

• R2P2

If they can make such a small version of the card, why make the regular one so huge? Even if there are trade-offs with a card this small, I would think the point where they go away is somewhere in between small and huge.

• DPete27

I have to imagine there’s a point of diminishing return cost-wise also with adding more fans and heastink metal.
      Gigabyte seems to be the only manufacturer that needs 3 fans to do (less efficiently I’d add) what others can accomplish with 2.

• vargis14

With the kepler cards like say my 770 classifieds the board is extra big allowing them to space out and add components like extra VRMs spreading the heat produced by the card into a larger area making less really hot spots considering the VRMs put off a good bit of heat including the GPU silicone itself.

With these new 970’s using a good deal less power and VRM’s it is easy to make them small…to be honest I do not know why they are not making a MITX 980 since they use virtually the same power, I think I saw the 980 using less in some cases. But like i said the larger cards allow spacing hot components farther from each other.
      Also I think they think we are so used to high performance large cards even though the 970/980’s do not really need a big board, they are giving us what they think we want. I am waiting to see what EVGA’s Classified 980 has for a board and VRMs since MSI and ASUS strix still only have 6 VRM’s for the GPU. MY EVGA 770’s have 12+ for the GPU and 3 for the Memory i think.

• cmrcmk

I wonder if the fan has to work harder to keep everything cool? “More effective” could easily mean “spins faster/louder.”

• MadManOriginal

It surely spins faster than than larger heatsinks with multiple fans, just like all compact cards.

• DPete27

mITX GPU roundup from Asus, MSI, & Gigabyte!

• Narishma

And Zotac.

• Pez

Great idea!

• gigafinger

My HTPC wants this! My wallet doesn’t…

• BiffStroganoffsky

Why would you stick one of these in your wallet?…very uncomfortable…

• gigafinger

Leave my Costanza out of this!