New Philips monitor serves up 4K on a 40″ VA panel

Ever thought 32" 4K displays were just not big enough? Then Philips has you covered. As TFT Central reports, the company has unveiled a 4K monitor with a monster 40" panel size—and no, it's not a mislabeled TV. The Philips BDM4065UC has dual DisplayPort inputs (regular and MiniDP) in addition to dual HDMI ports, and it features a 60Hz refresh rate as well as a four-port USB 3.0 hub.

TFT Central has an overview of the specs, and the guys at the [H]ard|Forum have dug up a fact sheet with extra details. It looks like the BDM4065UC features an 8-bit VA panel with a 3840×2160 resolution, 5000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m² luminosity, sRGB color gamut, and 176° horizontal and vertical viewing angles. The display also has 7W stereo speakers, VESA mounting holes, and support for picture-in-picture mode (with two devices) and picture-by-picture mode (with four devices).

As TFT Central points out, this display is so large that its pixel pitch is closer to that of typical desktop panels. That means people should be able to enjoy a 4K desktop without having to put up with lackluster high-PPI support in some Windows apps. I'm not sure the tradeoff of having a giganto display on your desk is necessarily worth it, though.

The site quotes an "estimated street price" of £600 including VAT, which works out to $800 before tax on this side of the pond. The BDM4065UC is reportedly due out either in December or early next year.

• burntham77

As much as I love my 27″ 1440p Lenovo AIO workstation, I could see replacing that with this. If there’s a VESA mount on it, I could strap a little PC to it and have a make-shift 40″ AIO setup.

• epicmadness

maybe you missed the part that says “VESA mounting holes” but yeah.

• kamikaziechameleon

Gosh, I’m thinking this might be for me.

• Hattig

That looks pretty awesome really, if you don’t run it in a HiDPI mode, and thus gain the equivalent of 4 1080p panels in a single panel. If you have the space for it on your desk anyway… It would be nice if it had PIP to you could connect another device (tuner/chromecast/etc) to watch whilst working. (Edit: it does)

And a 2160p high desktop in a single pane is what’s important here…

Might have to get one of these or similar next year.

• sschaem

60hz , 4K, 40″… $800 I will get one for sure.

Most likely not as a primary, but as a secondary for real-time data display and documents/ etc…

But I think this might be very popular with content creators of all kind.

• sweatshopking

WTF. GET A SMARTPHONE BEFORE YOU GET A 40 INCH 4K SCREEN!!

• Visigoth

That’s one of the most idiotic comments I’ve seen on the Internet, and I’ve been around longer than most. Obviously you have no idea what the target market for this monitor is, so please do yourself a favor and keep playing with your “smartphone”.

• Airmantharp

It’s likely an inside joke- these kids do that here πŸ™‚

• sweatshopking

SERIOUSLY? ONE OF THE MOST IDIOTIC COMMENTS YOUVE SEEN ON THR INTERNET? REALLY???
          YOUVE CLEARLY NEVER BEEN TO YOUTUBE.

• epicmadness

still though, all caps makes it look unprofessional, doesn’t even make things less irrational.

• Vivaldi

I hate to be that guy, but if the industry standard for 4K is 4096 x 2160, how is this display 4K?

• Airmantharp

‘4K’ encompasses a range of resolutions; this panel specifically is of the ‘UHD’ variety.

• internetsandman

Marketing departments live in a different reality than you and me

• Milo Burke

We hate that you’re that guy too.

• ferdinandh

It is exactly 4 times Full HD. That should be the new standard. What asshole made up 4096? We finally could forget that _not_ HD “HD Ready” and just focus on either Full HD or 4x Full HD. That would mean that Full HD material would look perfect on a 4K.

• Convert

Does the price seem a little off? What am I missing?

This would be perfect for me, I use a 37inch LED TV as my main screen.

• Airmantharp

*VA was created to be an inexpensive alternative to IPS and varies wildly in quality of implementation.

• auxy

It varies no more or less than IPS or TN Film; in all cases, the backlight design/implementation/quality and driving hardware vary more than the panels themselves.

VA has a number of advantages over IPS (as does TN, contrary to what you have no doubt heard), namely ~5x better contrast on the best AMVA panels coming out of AU Optronics these days.

I generally prefer VA panels to IPS or TN as it has most of the advantages of both with few real drawbacks. I’m not personally interested in this display, because it’s simply too large, but if someone could produce a ~24″ version in, say, 2560×1440 for a reasonable price, then we’d be talking. [sub<]A 4K is fine too, but probably won't be 'reasonably priced'.[/sub<]

• Airmantharp

My only real complaint concerning VA is input lag related to ‘overdriving’ or some such technique to deal with traditionally slower response times.

Assuming that input lag isn’t an issue, I’d love to have one these once they’re able to jimmy an adaptive V-Sync solution into the cabinet :).

• Rza79

Who actually owns the Philips computer display unit? I remember they sold their TV division to some Chinese but who designs the monitors? The same Chinese investors or is it still Philips Holland?

• Duck

You could mount it on the wall away from your desk to give yourself more room maybe?

• cynan

Technically, you wouldn’t have to have it much further away from you than current 27″ or 30″ 2560 x 1xx0 monitors as the PPI would be similar: The PPI on this should be about 110, while the 27″ and 30″ would be about 109 and 101, respectively.

This really is interesting as a multimedia-oriented monitor. Though for gaming, this all depends on how not terrible the input lag is.

• geekl33tgamer

That’s just Β£600? Looks like I am getting myself a new xmas present.

• sparkman

Holy cow, only $800? What is wrong with this screen that I’m missing?

• hubick

Nice!

I just upgraded my workstation from a 30″ Dell at 2560×1600 to a 40″ 4K Samsung UN40HU7000 TV, and I find the size and DPI to be excellent.

For the first time, all my views in the Eclipse debugger don’t feel like postage stamps πŸ™‚

The UN40HU7000 only accepts 4K input over HDMI 2.0, which had me restricted to a problematic 24Hz until I picked up an Nvidia GTX 980 this week. Now it’s awesome!

The only downside is that I have to manually power the TV on when I want to use it, as it doesn’t do power-saving/wakeup like a regular monitor does. This Philips monitor would solve that.

• PrincipalSkinner

Eclipse feels just fine on 23″ to me. I’d probably crap my pants seeing it on 40″.

• anotherengineer

Wait what?

I thought it was a shirt and tie ad, not a monitor ad?!?!

• Firestarter

my bet’s on hairdresser ad

• willmore

If it is, it had better be the ‘before’ picture.

• sweatshopking

seriously though, i like the fact that they used normal looking people. that buddy jimmy there has a clearly thinning hairline.

• spugm1r3

Those aren’t buildings on the screen, they’re 3D renderings of tie fibers.

• MadManOriginal

I thought it was an ad for 4K lumen LED bulbs. Holy cow, that room is BRIGHT.

• albundy

thats a really good price. chances are that it will be cheaper stateside since the UK generally carries higher price tags on all electronics.

• Antias

yeah I hear you…
      Here in Australia it’s likely to go for between $1000 to $1200
      We have such a ridiculous premium on electronics is shameful.
      “On average” 20% more than USA I’d hazard a guess…
      Still, that would make a mighty fine Gaming/Movie watching dual purpose screen as long as the input lag isn’t too terrible (I don’t play FPS’s, generally only RPG’s so don’t need it as quick as a lot of you folks)

• BiffStroganoffsky

If you are going to throw in the cheesy speakers, why not slap in a digital tuner and remote too?

• brucethemoose

Corporations love their market segmentation. If it had a tuner, you’d have to call it a TV.

• Bauxite

So do governments!

Believe it or not having a tuner can affect how it is treated for import, export and taxes in quite a few places.

• vargis14

Now 40″ is where 4k has a use as a PC monitor and a Movie screen all in one. Also a VA panel is nice. I just hope response times are at least as good as IPS…at least blacks will be better.
    Anything under 32″ and 4k is just too small for 4k.

Also at $800 it seems like a good price.

• smilingcrow

For people wanting extra real estate and not high DPI this sounds great for the price if you can live with a 40” monitor.
      It is large but on the other hand compared to a dual or triple monitor setup of lower resolutions screens it’s not so bad.
      Not sure I want such a big screen on my desk which is quite big to start with.

• Firestarter

I wonder what kind of input lag it has

• wierdo

Yeah I’m curious about the input lag and motion blur on this set, I’d grab one for $800 if it’s good enough for gaming without having to deal with blurry text from an HDTV alternative.

• ratte

8.5 ms gray to gray according to the first poster in the “have dug up” link.
        Edit: Philips own numbers.

• brucethemoose

The numbers from the manufacturer are almost always useless.

• Bauxite

Mmmhmm, I will let someone else be the early adopter this time around, got burned by Vizio recently. If it does show up at ~$800 or less and doesn’t suck it will land squarely in my potential purchase list.