The Steam Halloween Sale probably has the best PC gaming deals of the week. We've managed to find some nice hardware to go along with those discounted titles.
- Radeon R9 290 prices were slashed earlier this month, and some cards have gotten even cheaper since. MSI's R9 290 Gaming, for example, is down to only $229.99 at Newegg after a $30 mail-in rebate. That's a great deal even without the rebate, especially since this is an amped-up version with a custom cooler. The only catch seems to be the lack of a game bundle. (Thanks to Slickdeals for the tip—and for pointing out that you can get an extra $20 off by paying with Visa Checkout.)
- Newegg is selling Acer's H6 Series 27" IPS monitor for just $194.99 with promo code EMCWPGW53. That sounds too good to be true, and it sort of is: the display resolution is only 1920x1080 instead of 2560x1440. Still, this looks like a decent budget offering. The user reviews are generally positive, the bezels are relatively narrow, and the inputs include DVI, HDMI, and VGA. Not bad for less than $200.
- WD's Red 3TB mechanical drive is down to $109.99 at Newegg after promo code EMCWPGW23. The drive is ideal for NAS devices and PC RAID arrays, but keep in mind that the spindle speed is only 5,400 RPM. If you're putting this inside a desktop PC, you definitely want to pair it with a faster SSD.
- Speaking of SSDs, Tiger Direct has Kingston's HyperX Fury 240GB on sale for $102.99. The SandForce-based drive doesn't have especially impressive performance specifications, but that's true of most budget SSDs in this price range. The Fury will still be much faster than mechanical storage.
- Our timing is apparently impeccable, because the Asus X99-A motherboard we just reviewed is on sale at Newegg for $259.99 after promo code EMCWPGW29. The $15-off promo doesn't represent a huge discount, but the X99-A won our Editor's Choice award—and it's our favorite Haswell-E motherboard so far. Knocking a few bucks off the asking price makes the board just a little bit tastier.
That's all for this week. As always, feel free to chime in with any deals we missed.