Android Lollipop is coming to the Shield Tablet

I think it's funny that a person from 10 years ago would have no idea how to decode the words in the headline above. You know what it means, though. Nvidia's gaming-centric Shield Tablet will soon be getting an update to the latest version of Android, known as Lollipop.

The source for this news arrived in my office last week, while I was out in California, but here it is:

Yep, a mug full of lollipops and a note from the Shield team. There's also a Shield Tablet cover emblazoned with the Android Lollipop logo.

Message received.

We don't yet have an exact release date for the Shield Lollipop update, but Nvidia has been pretty good about staying on top of these things for its other Android-based products, including the Shield Portable. No doubt it helps that Nvidia is blessedly restrained about what it adds to the core Android OS.

• UberGerbil

No, they begin with “Erm” or “Ahm”

• UberGerbil

Baby steps!

• MadManOriginal

Normal people who buy ‘Galaxy’ phones.

• maxxcool

I flipped my Samsung tab-4 7 inch to ART.. it never booted again. had to reset it. and I did niot have any software installed.

• divide_by_zero

Who are these “People” that you say are blaming Android/Google?

Seems like it’s been well known for several years now that the handset manufacturers and carriers are the ones imposing arbitrary cutoffs to encourage a never-ending upgrade cycle .

(And yes, in fairness, this is true of Google with their own Nexus products to an extent – but they can’t be blamed for an industry-wide issue that’s beyond their control.)

• Bensam123

I do… Those look like high quality ones too…

• Ninjitsu

BUT HE’S NOT A WOMAN, WHAT’S THE POINT OF ATTACKING A BRO?

#MORALS #ETHICS

• sweatshopking

I think for apple it is about control. For google I think it’s about the purity of never giving MS anything

• Ninjitsu

Maybe a contributing reason, but I highly doubt it’s THE reason. SD cards are pretty popular outside here in India, for example, and companies adjust accordingly. Even Mororola put an SD card into its second gen Moto G, can’t remember about the Moto X.

I think only Google’s Nexus and Apple devices don’t have SD cards.

AnandTech had an article discussing this a while back, but I hardly agreed with anything in that article.

• Ninjitsu

Isn’t that a bit British, though?

• Disco

Now we just need to get him to put the ‘eh’ at the end of his sentences!

• anotherengineer

See that “eh” in there folks, we are Canadianising him bit by bit!!

Muwahahahaha

• TheMonkeyKing

Is the Shield Tablet considered Neon or non-Neon? I ask because I’ve run into an issue with my old Acer A500 tablet where I installed a non-Neon XBMC apk because it uses the Tegra2. Now when the plugins update, they are broken because the XBMC application is two levels back and the updates are using different dependencies.

I know XBMC is dying software but I still haven’t translated all my python work into Samsung media center or Plex yet.

[quote<]Android Lollipop is coming to the Shield Tablet[/quote<] I'd be amazed if they'd get anything other than fierce backlash, user-rage and mass returns of unwanted devices if they said that it wouldn't. Under the distance selling regulations, every Shield in Europe is still within the 90-day returns period. People are mightily unimpressed when companies drop software support before the product is even six months old. They expect two years, because that is the length of a typical phone contract.

• dmjifn

That reminds me of the green crowbar they sent! Serious class!

• kamikaziechameleon

That’s pretty clever!

• BabelHuber

Most apps ‘just work’ with ART. There were a few apps which had problems (e.g. Titanium Backup), but most of them have been already adjusted.

I used ART on my Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet for a week or so (with CM, not with the original Sony ROM) and it worked just fine.

But I went back to Dalvik because the XPOSED Frameweork does not work with ART (yet). I hope that the developer will adjust it for Lollipop, though.

So if you don’t use XPOSED, you should be fine.

• Coyote_ar

Samsung support for old tablets/phones is SHIT.

What they can handle, and what they get, have no relation.

I have a G Note 1, and if i depended on Samsung’s support, i would be stuck with 4.2
    But im running 4.4.4 and it works great. WAY better than any official rom.

People blame android, for the shortcomings of the different brands. Google should really put some pressure on this companies …

• JosiahBradley

I’ve been using ART since it’s debut a while ago on my Nexus 4 with zero issues. All the apps optimize themselves on install and just work. I can’t vouch for lollipop but it’s been real nice on Kit-Kat.

• sweatshopking

it’s specifically “weather” apps your after?

and sd cards have licensing fees. they don’t want to pay them.

1. I would like to know weather Dalvik apps Just work with ART too. My old Xoom is about to die (I think the flash is going bad) and I need a replacement. I was thinking of getting a Shield Tablet because it has everything I want in a tablet. Before I buy one I wanted to know weather it is going to be updated to Lollipop and weather Art is going to cause any issues.

I just do not understand why Google and other device makers are not putting micro SD card slots in their devices. I understand the whole cloud storage and data mining thing, but I will never use any cloud storage. And I know I am not alone on this. It is just way too insecure and with everyone from the NSA to China and Russia hacking any target they want, no one will ever convince me otherwise.

• Voldenuit

Anyone with Lollipop care to comment on how seamless the transition to ART has been? Do all your Dalvik apps simply “just work” on Lollipop?

• ChangWang

They should make a 64GB wifi only SKU of the Shield Tab and charge $349 for it. Do that and I’ll pay them to kiss my ass. Hear that Shield Team?!!!

• trek205

of course it would come to Shield tablet as they will always update to the latest version of Android just like they did on the previous Shield and Tegra devices.

• lilbuddhaman

I do! Btw I’m allergic to every flavor except for 6GB GTX SLI.

• Sam125

Ahh… the sweet perks of being a tech journalist. Good to know the people who bought a Shield device weren’t exactly suckers, but they are receiving a lollipop. 🙂

• crabjokeman

Oh, and I’ll believe that when I see free hardware show up at my doorstep (not lollipops).

• LordVTP

What about the Note 7? =\
    If my Moto X can handle it, the my Note 7 should as well!

• crabjokeman

No, I get a lollipop from my bank every Friday when I cash/deposit my paycheck. I guess that’s what passes for “interest” nowadays.

• MadManOriginal

BRIBERY.

#SHIELDGATE – TWEET IT, BITCHES!

• willmore

Not after that!

• Damage

Eh, they only want me for my audience. Which means, technically speaking, they’re kissing your ass.

Want a lollipop?

• sweatshopking

yay?

• crabjokeman

It must be nice to have tech companies kiss your ass.

Share this post with your friends!