Dell’s latest 4K displays bring IPS goodness down to $600

Most affordable 4K monitors are based on TN technology, but not the latest duo from Dell. The 23.8" P2415Q and 27" P2715Q both feature IPS panels. They're still priced like TN displays, though. The 24-incher is selling for $599.99, while its 27" sibling is listed at $699.99.

The P2415Q (left) and P2715Q (right). Source: Dell

Apart from their screen sizes, the two displays are nearly identical. Dell claims that both are factory-calibrated to deliver "nearly perfect color accuracy," with 99% sRGB coverage and a delta-E of less than three. The displays produce 1.07 billion distinct shades, but they probably don't use true 10-bit tech. My money's on 8-bit panels augmented by dithering.

Unlike Dell's initial foray, which was limited to 30Hz at full resolution, these new models can push 3840×2160 images at 60Hz. Both have 178° viewing angles, 1000:1 contrast ratios, and 6-ms "fast" response times. The P2415Q has a 300-cd/m² brightness rating and an 8-ms "typical" response time, while the P2715Q is rated for 350 cd/m² and 9 ms.

The stands are adjustable every which way, and they can be swapped for VESA-compatible mounts. Connectivity includes a four-to-one USB 3.0 hub, an MHL-compatible HDMI port, a DisplayPort input, and a DP output that supports daisy-chaining a second screen.

Given everything, these look like very nice monitors for the money. The only detriments seem to be the slower response times, which aren't uncommon for IPS displays, and the lack of variable refresh support, which is still a rarity. Thanks to TFT Central for the tip.

• WillBach

Wow. I really, really want this for games and photos for my desktop. I could also use it with my Surface Pro (first gen) for VPN work stuff but I think that only supports external resolutions of 2560×1600. I wonder how that would scale to 3840×2160. Maybe output 1920×1080 (respectable) and let the monitor double every pixel? I used to do that for DOS games and it looked good. Oh wait, if I bought this is still have my old monitor. Derp :-/

• kamikaziechameleon

I am still holding my breath for better 30″ plus offerings in 4K.

• anotherengineer

I’m looking forward to the reduced size 2560×1440 monitors coming out, should be less $$ than the 27″ models, tighter pixel pitch for sharper images, and no issues or crazy requirements for gaming like a 4k beast.

[url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#dell_u2515h[/url<] [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#benq_bl2420pt[/url<]

• travbrad

Yep I’m just glad to see display technology/products finally moving forward recently, after many years where the choices were either 1080p for cheap or 2560×1600 for $1000+

• DragonDaddyBear

I’m excited for 4K, but I really like my 3-1080p-monitor Eyefinity setup. I love eye candy, but I find the wraparound of the monitors to be of greater value for my uses (gaming and heavy multitasking). Hopefully by the time GPU’s can drive three 4K monitors I’ll be able to afford all of it.

• The Wanderer

Some years ago, I bought a Dell 3008WFP – 2560×1600 30″ IPS for (I think) $1700.

I’ve seen various newer monitors described and hyped since then.

This is the first time any of them have ever tempted me to consider replacing it.

This is somewhat smaller than the 3008WFP, but has much higher resolution, has at least equally good color accuracy, has equal or better refresh rates, is fully rotatable, and is well under half the price…

I’m still going to stick with what I’ve got for the time being, but I would very likely be picking one of these up if I were to do a ground-up new system build in the near future.

• Spotpuff

I’m still rocking a Dell 2405FPW. I remember WOW on it was insane and my GPU couldn’t keep up.

4k is definitely making me feel the need to upgrade but I was kind of hoping for better than LCD tech that was supposed to come like OLED or flat CRT (which never materialized). Wonder how far off those are in sizes bigger than a smart phone.

• ColeLT1

2408wfp here. Holding out until adaptive/g sync is a few generations in. Plus the 2408wfp was free due to a co-worker tossing it from a bad power button, scotch tape fixed the button hinge!

• CheetoPet

Same monitor, same situation. I’m waiting for *sync tech to sort itself out before the next purchase me thinks.

• JustAnEngineer

I’m also waiting for DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync before I replace my UltraSharp 3007WFP.

• funko

Do we have to worry about input lag on these monitors, like we do on TV’s, for those of us that like to game FPS’s?

• tay

Yes. Best to wait for reviews if input lag is important.

• anotherengineer

As good as that is, it’s still not as good as this is supposed to be
    [url<]https://techreport.com/news/26586/intel-samsung-aim-to-deliver-4k-displays-for-399[/url<]

We’re rapidly approaching the point where dumping a large amount of money into a fixed-refresh screen is a bad idea.

You don’t have to be a gamer to appreciate adaptive refresh, I appreciate 23.997Hz on my HDTV, but it’s a pain to have to set it manually. VSync is an incomplete tradeoff between lag and tearing that applies to everything from 3D modelling to Google Earth and more.

• EzioAs

Can you please elaborate on this? I’m fine with fixed refresh rate

• HisDivineOrder

The idea is that when you watch 24/48fps content (ie., movies, the rare TV show perhaps) you can also enjoy having variable refresh rate because TV’s and monitors traditionally refresh at 60fps, which is not divisible by the 24/48 to a whole number, leading to a fraction of a frame needing to be compensated for.

Which results in judder.

• EzioAs

Thanks, I guess I kind of understand what you’re referring. I never watch video content at 24 fps over the last 3-4 years or so. I use SVP (frame interpolation) + madVR on MPC to change it to 60 fps. It’s hard to go back once you get used to it. Even my Sony TV does the same thing and I know not a lot of people like it but I do.

Yeah, what he said. Having multiple refresh-rates is useful because you can set it to match 23.997, 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60fps media content without juddering, but it’s annoying having to query the framerate of the clip manually and then set your screen to that refresh rate.

Even my HDTV with a world of refresh rates not usually found on monitors doesn’t cover all of them, like an adaptive-sync monitor would do [i<]automagically[/i<] - I can't get 25fps or 48fps. [i<]edit - I see you also use SVP, that's certainly a good solution if you like the effect - I certainly did! Sadly, the more I came to like the increased fluidity of movies and shows, the more I came to hate the artefacts and "wrong guesses" that the interpolation engine would make. Hopefully there will be more high-framerate content in time. 1080p 48fps is beautiful![/i<] More importantly (going back to gaming now) 4K is a very demanding resolution and getting a constant 60fps is hard for even high-end, multiple graphics cards for some games. If adaptive sync can make gameplay feel fluid at 35fps then you've magically reduced the GPU horsepower required for a pleasant 4K experience, and in the case of Multiple GTX980s, that's a significant cost-saving that shouldn't be wasted.

• meerkt

MPC-HC and other players can set a matching refresh rate automatically.

But a problem even when the display supposedly supports the “correct” refresh rate for a movie is that it’s not necessarily EXACTLY right. My TV’s 23.976 is actually ~23.972 and things still skip.

• mcnabney

Modern HDTVs will typically refresh at 120hz, which is divisible into 24fps quite nicely. Good try though.

Sadly I’m in Europe on 50Hz AC, so the PAL standard is 50/100/200/400Hz. 120Hz doesn’t feature much over here 🙁

• chuckula

Hasn’t Europe moved over to a digital transmission standard by now?

• meerkt

I’m pretty sure TVs always support 60Hz, at least for computer inputs?

Yeah, pretty much everything from 23.9xHz up to 75Hz is supported by modern TV’s.

I guess digital tuners still get plugged into old 50Hz CRT televisions so the digital broadcasts over here are probably still 50Hz and the higher refresh rates exposed by TV’s after the 75Hz VESA modes are all multiples of the broadcast frequency – which is why we get 100 and 200Hz but no 120Hz.

• meerkt

75Hz on what models? I haven’t seen TVs that officially supports more than 60Hz. Inofficially there appear to be a few models that can go higher than 60Hz, but it’s rare. Maybe in some new HDMI2 models there’s the beginning of official 120Hz support, but I’m not sure.

200Hz+ is just marketing BS. I don’t think any TV refreshes at more than 120Hz, and even that 120Hz is only for internally generated motion interpolation frames. It cannot accept 120Hz input.

• insulin_junkie72

[quote<]200Hz+ is just marketing BS. I don't think any TV refreshes at more than 120Hz[/quote<] There are some TVs now that do have actual native 240Hz panels, in the higher price range of 1080p TV sets. I think 4K panels in TVs currently top out at 120Hz, though, IIRC.

• Alexko

I was thinking the same thing. This 27″ monitor has almost everything I want, except for Adaptive-Sync. Ideally, I’d like it to be 30″ as well, even if it means $100~200 more.

• dragontamer5788

I do think GSync / FreeSync are going to be game changers in this arena.

• Klimax

Unfortunately some of us can’t wait till 4k 24′ G-Sync/AS are ready with sane pricing.

• blastdoor

Those look great!

Ironically these might be some of the best displays available for Mac Pro owners.

• Farting Bob

Why is that ironic?

• MadManOriginal

Because there’s not an Apple 4k monitor that costs 2x as much.

• the

Any word if these use MST to driver the full resolution or are single tile?

• Tristan

They still use MST. Read manuals.

• deruberhanyok

The manual doesn’t say it uses MST to drive it at 60hz – the only mention of it I can find in the manual is that it has an output to support MST, and can be configured a few different ways for it.

Unless I’m misunderstanding it – here’s the section, in the part where it explains the MST setting in the OSD (page 34):

[i<]MST “Off” : Default mode - 4k2k 60Hz with MST function Disabled. “Primary” : Set as primary mode at 4K2K 30Hz with MST (DP out) enabled. “Secondary” : Set as secondary mode at 4K2K 30Hz with MST (DP out) disabled. NOTE: Secondary mode can be set using hot key to switch to DP 1.1 when there is no display.[/i<] The "secondary" mode, according to the troubleshooting part of the manual, it says can be used for older video cards which don't have support for displayport 1.2 - this seems to imply that displayport 1.2+ supports 4k2k60hz on this screen with SST?

• the

That is similar to how a Dell U2414H works with regards to DisplayPort daisy chaining. It even has the same DP1.1/1.2 toggle. Really, really nice monitor. I wish I had some more time to test it with more DP 1.1 based graphics cards. (I have a stand alone MST hub that’ll create a virtual 3840 x 1080 display using two monitors with a DP 1.1 host. I’d be kinda nice for the Dell’s do to that too).

With regards to the P2415Q, that manual entry reads like you can daisy chain two of the displays together at a reduced 30 Hz refresh rate. At that this point, I see the issue being more of the GPU supporting such a configuration. This doesn’t answer the question if it is a single tile monitor or not however as MST can support four logical displays (two tiles per display at 1920 x 2160 @ 30 Hz).

• stdRaichu

Still waiting to pull the trigger on a couple of new monitors – I nearly bought two of the UP2414Q but held off due to recurring issues with the display’s MST implementation.

99% sRBG is great but no word on the spec sheet whether the P2415Q uses MST or is single tile… matte or glossy… and no variable refresh support yet. Maybe I’ll wait another year… or at least for some reviews! Still, nice to see some movement in the 4k space for reasonable workstation monitors.

• Rectal Prolapse

Ugh, lack of multiple refresh rates is so disappointing! My buggy UP2414Q still has a use I guess. 🙁

• Pwnstar

I doubt this is your only problem, given your name.

• FireGryphon

What exactly does it mean for a panel to be ‘4k’?

• sweatshopking

2160p.

• chuckula

That it’s immersed in liquid helium?

• anotherengineer

Wouldn’t that be 4K? 😉

• bean7

Actually 4 K, according to the BIPM 😉 ([url=http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/section5-3.html#section3<]Section 5.3.3[/url<])

• JustAnEngineer

You missed the deal that [i<]albundy[/i<] shared with us to get the P2715Q for [url=https://techreport.com/news/27363/deal-of-the-week-a-monster-psu-for-110-devil-canyon-for-196-and-more?post=864017#864017<]$504 +tax[/url<].

• DPete27

Argh!!! I didn’t see that.

• albundy

considering all the positive replies on slickdeals.net, it was well worth the price and a decent hot deal for 20% off imho. seems like this is the norm year after year…offering better deals before black friday even arrives.

• auxy

Lack of low-persistence mode, too, but again, common on IPS displays.

You see this, derFunkenstein?! If you wanted to call me a one-issue person, THIS is the issue to pick on. (Still false tho.)

• MadManOriginal

Only a big deal for hardcore gamers, and IPS displays aren’t *that* much worse. I’ve been gaming on IPS for years and it’s fine. The GPU power to drive 4k resolution is more prohibitive.