Thermaltake’s new mATX case is stackable, rotatable

Another case has joined Thermaltake's microATX roster. While it looks pretty plain from the outside, the Core V21 has two unusual features: it can rotate to allow for either horizontal or vertical motherboard placement, and the chassis itself is designed to be stackable. In a stacked arrangement, Thermaltake says users can put vital components in one case and liquid-cooling devices in the other.

Nifty. Regardless of the orientation, the Core V21 boasts a dual-chamber design that dedicates one chamber to the motherboard and another to the power supply and drive bays.

The Core V21 is plenty roomy, too, with space for six storage drives (either all 2.5" or half 2.5" and half 3.5"), a graphics card up to 13.8" long, a CPU cooler up to 7.3" tall, and a power supply with a maximum length of 7.9". Cooling is handled out of the box with a jumbo 200-mm fan at the front, but there's room for an ungodly number of additional fans and liquid-cooling radiators. Seriously, I won't even bother to list all of the possible cooling configurations. See the spec sheet for more details. Even larger radiators can fit inside a motherboard-free chassis as part of a stacked config.

Expect to pay $69.99 for the Core V21 when it hits e-tail listings. And check out the gallery below for more glamour shots.

• flip-mode

What a piece of crap. The Silverstone Temjin TJ08-e is 1832.2 cubic inches. The Thermaltake Core V21 is 2777.5 cubic inches. And then they suggest you buy *TWO* of them! That is four-letter-wording stupid.

Agreed.

If you’re not trying to [b<]SAVE SPACE[/b<] why would you buy an mATX board instead of a full-sized ATX board. Thermaltake join Corsair and Betfenix in the [i<]Hall of Stupid[/i<] for making ridiculously oversized cases for boards of a form factor that exists solely to save space and enable smaller PC's It's like having a double garage big enough for a couple of F150 trucks, but each of the garage doors is only two feet wide so you can only use it for bicycles.

• NovusBogus

Hey, cool, so Lian Li will finally get some competition for making mATX cases that are actually small.

• floodo1

My Corsair 250d uses a similar arrangement (PSU / drives below horizontal mobo with 200mm intake fan and 2x120mm side spot for CPU radiator) but is for MITX. Based on how things fit in my case and some of those photos on their website this case looks like it wastes quite a bit of space when used in that same style of configuration (horizontal mobo)

Moderately interesting!

• Shambles

Dangit, You got my hopes up for a decent mATX NAS case until I read it can only fit 3 3.5″ drives. I guess for a budget case you can’t expect it all.

• dragmor

Whats wrong with the Fractal Node 304? It takes 6 3.5″ drives comfortably, more with some custom work and its only $115 Oz, so probably $80-$90 USA.

• floodo1

yeah the Node 304 is pretty much THE standard recommendation for a NAS case.

• anotherengineer

[url<]https://img.pandawhale.com/22769-interesting-cat-meme-rv31.jpeg[/url<]

• dmjifn

My first impression was “big whoop, who cares” but seeing the overview on their website makes me appreciate that this is a really flexible case.

That said! I’d still rather we move away from expansion slots to slim, flexible cable connections for peripherals.

• floodo1

Wow. Next year I’ll be able to move to practically zero cables (except power to mobo and vid card) when I buy a 1Tb 4-lane m2 SSD. The only addons to my mobo will by a single video card and that one SSD, everything else is built in AND i’m using mini-ITX!
      (Note: yes there are still front-panel audio and usb cables and such, but i’m just talking about core components and how in the distant past I’d have a slew of expansion cards and tons of drives with a plethora of cables, in addition to the unavoidable audio and usb cables)