Filco’s new Cherry MX keyboard has Bluetooth connectivity

Mechanical keyboards are everywhere these days, but wireless mechanical keyboards? Those are much harder to come by. Happily, PC Watch reports that Filco has just introduced a new line of Cherry MX-based Majestouch keyboards with Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity.

Source: Filco.

The Majestouch Convertible 2 has the same full-sized layout as its wired cousins, and it's offered with Cherry MX blue, brown, black, and red switches. The keyboard features both Bluetooth and a detachable USB cord (with what looks like a Mini USB connector). When unplugged, the keyboard runs off two AA batteries that provide "about 6 months" of usage time at five hours per day.

Source: Filco.

Filco has equipped this keyboard with a Fn key and some handy shortcuts, too. The Fn key replaces the right menu key, and it enables media and audio volume controls (via the F keys) as well as connectivity controls (via the number keys). It looks like you can switch between USB and one of four Bluetooth sources with Fn+number key shorcuts.

Oh, and there are even DIP switches at the back. The DIP switches let you disable the Windows key and swap the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys, among other things.

Filco makes the Majestouch Convertible 2 with a U.S. ASCII layout, so I'm sure it'll turn up on this side of the Pacific. I'm not seeing any info about U.S. pricing or availability anywhere, though. All PC Watch says is that the keyboard will retail for ¥17,480—or $146—when it comes out in Japan on December 18.

• Rectal Prolapse

I recall reading reviews of reliability problems with the G710+ – hopefully they solved them now.

• psuedonymous

Edging ever-closer to my ‘perfect’ keyboard. MX Brown (damped), white backlight, wireless, with numpad and media keys. Ideally with a volume ‘spinner’, and a ‘calculator’ shortcut key above the numpad (the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 had one, and it’s incredibly useful).
    Logitech’s G710+ is close, ticking every box apart from being wired, missing a calculator shortcut (mapped to a macro key), and having an unpleasant volume ‘roller’.

• kureshii

I wonder how it compares with the KBTalKing (http://kbtalkingusa.com/). That’s the one I had my eye on prior to this.

• mako

Agreed. It looks a lot like the Rosewill models, where the USB socket doesn’t have enough mechanical support and tends to come loose.

• meerkt

Standard or not, it’s a flimsier socket where there’s no need for such a thing. There’s no lack of space, a keyboard is something that’s moved around, and USB A or B are sturdier.

• Rectal Prolapse

Huh – wireless mechanicals have been out for a couple of years now:

[url<]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1671188[/url<] Although the Majestouch might be the first Bluetooth one!

• tipoo

You could use it wired for anything latency sensitive (for a keyboard I assume that just means gaming?) while using the convenience of wireless for all else.

• slowriot

Being the standard choice doesn’t make it a good choice. It’s a regular source of failures in these keyboards. (Not to say all will fail. My keyboard uses mini USB too and has been fine. But it’s regularly mentioned on forums.)

• orik

USB mini is the *standard* choice for keyboards today.

Do you even own a mechanical?

• meerkt

For keyboard input it probably doesn’t matter.

• Rectal Prolapse

I do understand the contact part. So maybe the real issue is NKRO support. Although perhaps this is a limitation of the R&D required for that heh.

Are there any NKRO wireless keyboards? Quick google finds this: [url<]http://www.quora.com/What-wireless-keyboard-has-n-key-rollover[/url<]

• d0g_p00p

Finally a wireless mechanical keyboard. I wonder if there is any type of input lag? Nice keyboard but pretty steep price tag, I like it tho’

• meerkt

USB mini is a stupid choice for a keyboard.

• Peter.Parker

A mechanical keyboard doesn’t need more electricity than a non-mechanical one.
    The “mechanical” part of it refers to the way it conducts the input to the actual electrical contact.
    The deal about them is that they are a little more robust than the “slim” keyboards. And more expensive because it takes a little more material inside than a regular one.

• RtFusion

This would be nice to have, especially when I have to take the keyboard to work when I have to got to the office, less wires to worry about.

I have Filco’s Majetouch 2 with Cherry MX Brown switches and I loove it.

• Rectal Prolapse

Dang – I never would have imagined anyone making a wireless mechanical keyboard – I thought mechanical required the keyboard to be constantly energized, thus making them wireless would drain the battery very quickly!

I would love to know how they did this —- or maybe what I read about mechanicals are completely bogus?

Share this post with your friends!