Acer’s new G-Sync monitor laced with IPS goodness

Acer has introduced a pair of new gaming monitors ahead of next week's Consumer Electronics Show. The most exciting of the two is the XB270HU, which is the "world's first" display to combine Nvidia's G-Sync variable refresh tech with an IPS panel.

The XB270HU has a 27" screen with a 2560×1440 resolution. Its maximum refresh rate is 144Hz, just like Asus' ROG Swift PG278Q. Apart from mentioning the XB270HU's adjustable stand, the press release is devoid of additional details. We may learn more about this intriguing specimen once the show begins in earnest.

The second part of Acer's one-two punch is the XG270HU, which is the "world’s first gaming monitor with an edge-to-edge frameless display." The screen still has a border, but it's thinner than on conventional displays, making the XG270HU ideal for multi-monitor setups.

Like its sibling, the XG270HU sports a 27" 2560×1440 panel with a 144Hz maximum refresh rate. The refresh rate is fixed, though. The press release pegs the respone time at one millisecond, which is usually a telltale sign of TN tech.

We know a little bit more about this particular model. Inputs include DVI, HDMI 2.0, and DisplayPort 1.2. The monitor also has a flicker-free backlight, a low-glare panel, a blue light filter, and a "low-dimming technology that adjusts screen brightness when working in non-optimal lighting conditions."

Acer hasn't announced pricing, but both displays are due out in March. I expect they won't be the only new gaming monitors to make their debut at CES, so stay tuned for more from the show.

• JAMF

“…making the XG270HU ideal for multi-monitor setups.” Yayyyy!

“…telltale sign of TN tech.” Feck! TN sucks in 3-display because of the off-angle orientation.

• End User

11 years is too long to go without a display upgrade.

• alphadogg

Yes! Let’s upgrade for upgrade’s sake! Makes perfect sense!

• Krogoth

A simple recap will probably get it working.

• VincentHanna

invest in an arm mount and learn the true meaning of “adjustable.”

• VincentHanna

‘Merica

• VincentHanna

I want my PC box boring. I’m not watching it for the logo at the bottom of the screen.

Bring on the boring.

• VincentHanna

VESA mount

• VincentHanna

Do you know what a fad is?

You literally just said “Gsync is mostly a trendy anomalous fashion and you should wait until it becomes a [b<]standard[/b<] included in everything."

• VincentHanna

Red herring isn’t a “buzz word”

Glad to know that “buzz word” is your choice buzz word of the moment.

• VincentHanna

Everyone has forgotten about Intel. Their Graphics only matter on laptops which are irrelevant in the monitor discussion at hand. It really doesn’t matter which tech Intel supports (if any).

• VincentHanna

Its hard for me to call the maxwell processors “amazing” considering how disappointed I had been with literally every keplar card that came out. Don’t get me wrong, they are good, but I think that they are a little behind where they should be in terms of the overall landscape of GPUs over the past 5 generations or so. Performance per watt is the sequins in your eyes.

And no, you are right. You don’t buy a card for (just) gsync. That would be silly. Gsync is purely a monitor selling feature for people who already have Nvidia cards.

• Ryu Connor

If it makes you feel better to think I down voted you, by all means keep up the illusion.

In the mean time breaks at Wendy’s are short, you better get back to serving fries.

• Bensam123

Gee wiz sir, I can’t wait till I grow up and have three downvotes too!

• JustAnEngineer

The IPS monitor is more likely to be sold to professionals. They’re probably trying to keep the design subdued to appeal to that market.

• jts888

Only the range of crystal orientations in TN screens are really quick (1-2 ms) to transition between, but the paths that light can take through them without being affected too non-uniformly (i.e., viewing angles) are pretty limited. The crystals prefer to stay parallel to their neighbors, but perpendicularly oriented surface effects from the sandwiching electrodes keep the top and bottom layers at a 90 degree twist relative to each other, twisting light between two crossed polarizers and letting light through. Applying voltage across the layer makes the crystals point along the field gradient, blocking the twisting and thus the light. Because the crystals have a strong natural preferred orientation and a way to be quickly reoriented from that, they can change quickly.

Why the TN viewing angles are poor is beyond my comprehension though, but I speculate that it’s because the in-out state twists polarization differently depending on the direction of the light.

IPS pixels keep crystal axes in the plane of the screen, keeping crystals one face of the layer permanently in a given orientation through the surface effect and twisting the opposite face’s crystals through an electrical field vector along the surface of that face. This means that light is always going through sub-layers of liquid crystal with orientations always Switched In Plane, which is better somehow for preventing TN color shift but doesn’t have as strongly attracted base states or a way to get the crystals to react as strongly to the surface field.

[b<]tl;dr - IPS relies on twisting liquid crystals in a comparatively subtle manner that the cell structure itself makes harder to force or revert to its default state quickly[/b<] Here's a pretty good introduction to different panel technology fundamentals: [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm[/url<]

• End User

11 years? How depressing.

• End User

Sure, when compared to the view you get when looking out a 3:4 window on a dark night.

• Phartindust

Well I don’t know about ugly, but I do like the design of the TN monitor better too. Really like that thin bezel, and the red looks nice. All black can get boring.

• Ryu Connor

AFAIK the chosen refresh rate is pointless, it’s the content frame rate. If the content falls below 30fps, then the tech stops the adaptive mojo.

Setting the display to 120Hz supports 24hz movies just fine, but there won’t be adaptive mojo due to the low frame rate of the content.

• JustAnEngineer

My 1200×1600 IPS LCD monitor is side-by-side with my 2560×1600 IPS LCD monitor. They match pretty well. I’ve adjusted the colors better than these folks did.
    [url<]http://www.ubergizmo.com/2006/02/dell-3007wfp-30-inch-lcd-monitor-review/[/url<]

• Flapdrol

You’re upset with nvidia for making variable refresh tech and not announce support for a competing system that isn’t even out yet?

• MadManOriginal

[quote<]Apart from mentioning the XB270HU's adjustable stand[/quote<] LEARN TO READ NUB.

• Airmantharp

Down-vote whore.

So run the display at 48Hz, 72Hz or 96Hz instead….

Adaptive sync is much bigger than gaming. Gaming is just the crowbar that will get it out into the market.

• Ryu Connor

Adults are talking here.

• Bensam123

Glad you know what a Red Herring is and it’s your choice buzz word of the moment…

…but there are plenty of people who buy new monitors to match them with their onboard graphics. No one says FreeSync needs to be limited to expensive monitors… Especially because it’s FREESync.

You’re actually likely to see FreeSync matched with pretty much all monitors in the future from now on, which is all the more incentive for Intel to support it.

• thor84no

It depends on your perspective, but IPS has been around a lot longer than G-Sync – a lot of people are interested in getting their hands on it. I’ve certainly been considering TN panel G-Syncs like the Swift, but I was holding out hoping that someone would do a decent IPS panel version.

• ptsant

Funny, I would have written the title as “ACER’s new IPS monitor laced with G-Sync”. To me IPS is the primary attribute and G-Sync an added bonus. I guess the NVidia marketing has been particularly effective.

• modulusshift

Assuming that it did work with non-gaming apps, it would be possible to just run it at 48 fps (144/3) and display frames twice for pretty much exactly the same result. Agreed on it being fairly pointless to argue about, though, and also that it’s mostly irrelevant to whether Intel supports it.

• SomeOtherGeek

I totally agree with you. I’m not having a monitor with a red edges on my desk. Looks so stupid!

Yeah, I was careful – I had originally written “bezel” but the Dell my wife has – similar to your S2240M – has a very small bezel, and a larger ~1/2″ border.

• anotherengineer

Yes and no. Most of the border 1/2″ or whatever is actually from the panel itself. The bezel is probably only about 1/16 to 1/8″ at most.

Basically same design as my Dell S2240M

I like how the “edge to edge” display does, in fact, have a border. There should be laws about this.

• tsk

Is there a reason IPS panels can’t be high refresh rate and still have good colors?
    I don’t really know enough on the subject how different display technologies work with refresh rates. Anyone care to fill me in?

Actually it looks like the same sort of mechanical height adjustment on an old Samsung monitor I no longer own. It’s probably just extended all the way and can be lowered.

• sweatshopking

it looks like it’s made for a giraffe.

Hey now, you’re also describing me. :p

• sweatshopking

no, because it’s tall and round and weird looking.

Because it doesn’t have a windows logo at the bottom like your Surface Pro?

• anotherengineer

I wonder if it really is an IPS panel, or an AHVA or a derivative of VA like the foris.
    [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm[/url<] Time will tell.

• Ninjitsu

Well, you could reduce it to 60 Hz or something.

• Ninjitsu

I don’t like the red, though.

• Ninjitsu

As everyone should. :/

Heh, and I bet an 11 years old IPS screen still looks good.

• sweatshopking

My issue isn’t the bezel. It is the stupid round stand and the fact that it looks really tall, but that might just be the picture.

• Ryu Connor

Movies are more red herring. 30fps is the minimum speed of the tech. Movies would be at 24fps and odds are such a box using Intel integrated would attach to a TV.

Old games, maybe, but buying a high end monitor to pair with your low end hardware for playing old games seems like more stretching instead of being intellectually honest.

• Laykun

This joke is several years too late.

• Laykun

They are playing movies and older gamers though.

• Krogoth

G-Sync is mostly a fad and you should wait until VESA comes out with a standard that is vendor-agnostic.

• MathMan

You’re upset that Nvidia came up with a revolutionary new monitor technology?

• Meadows

Our what, now?

• End User

You certainly get your moneys worth out of your displays.

• End User

[quote<]Uh, what's wrong with 1600 vertical?[/quote<] Technically it is an 11 year old 1600 horizontal display rotated - not matching displays such as your (matching?) dual 1440p setup. [quote<]Don't forget that your average Joe is rocking a single, TN, 1080p screen.[/quote<] How can I forget. The average Joe's keep reminding me.

• aspect

Might be one of those ips variants that have 6bit color like an AHVA panel, there have been a few around at 120hz+ but came in 1080p.

• MadManOriginal

It looks like every monitor I’ve ever had, so I’m fine with it. As for the stand…meh, it might leave more surface area between the legs, but they look wider and would take up more surface area because of that anyway. Irrelevant to anyone with a monitor arm stand too. BUT IT’S RED, SO IT MUST BE FASTER AND BETTER.

A slim bezel is nice I suppose, but if the tradeoff is between design and IPS, I’ll take IPS any day.

• Ryu Connor

Bringing Intel into this discussion is a red herring.

Nobody is playing Far Cry 4 on Intel integrated.

Freesync and GSync have a minimum floor for refresh rate, the tech isn’t a fix for super crappy framerate.

• The Egg

Upset? I get a kick out of how everyone has made the blind assumption that the two will perform equally, and most have even crowned a winner already. They’ve done this based off of nothing but a wink and a smile from AMD.

We’ve seen no head-to-head comparisons, and no one has even laid eyes on working Freesync hardware. Freesync could be anything from the best gaming tech of the past decade, to broken, non-functional garbage. What will everyone say if it’s the latter? Hopefully they fix it with driver updates sometime in the next 5 years?

I’m not advocating for one or the other (if anything I’d go for the open technology), I just find it bizarre how everyone just KNOWS the two will be equal. Also, Freesync wouldn’t exist without NVidia pushing the envelope, so you have no reason to be “upset” with them.

• odizzido

144hz IPS? That’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for. Minus the gsync….and the brand. Now the biggest question I have is is it good IPS or has the 144hz ruined it somehow.

• willmore

Well, they do support a variable refresh tech on their embedded pannel links. I remember seeing that one some presentation a few generations back. Supposed to save power on laptops.

• willmore

By god, man, crack it open and look!

• sweatshopking

Habitually clicked minus?!?!??! MEADOWS! WHAT ABOUT OUR LOVE?!?!?

• renz496

so far i haven’t heard much about intel to adapt Adaptive Sync despite that dynamic refresh rates might help their integrated solution. but this is intel. instead of display port they might want to come up with their own solution and push their thunderbolt instead?

• JustAnEngineer

You seem to have forgotten about Intel.

• JustAnEngineer

I’m guessing that some 12-year-old capacitors failed. The image goes black after a couple of minutes of use. Cycling the power brings it back for a second or two, then it goes black again.

• willmore

What died in it?

• torquer

Creative Labs would be happy to sell you some Fat4l1ty branded gear, then.

Or perhaps you’d be in the market for a Killer NIC?

• JustAnEngineer

I’m bummed that my old UltraSharp 2000FP just died this week. 🙁
    [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41012&highlight=#41012[/url<]

• torquer

FreeSync monitors aren’t available for purchase just yet (or may have *just* become so). G-Sync has actually been available for quite some time. I doubt very seriously Nvidia makes all that much on their custom display chips for these monitors, but I could be wrong. Looking forward to the first reviews of FreeSync monitors to see if there is a discernible difference between the technologies.

That being said, I managed to get one of the first ROG Swift monitors back in August and I’m not kicking myself at all. Its been a great upgrade and I’ll never go back to non-dynamic refresh rates for my primary gaming monitor. IPS doesn’t excite me all that much – my other desktop has a Dell Ultrasharp if I need color accuracy and I don’t generally view my monitors from wonky or dynamic angles.

• MadManOriginal

lol :p edited.

• Deanjo

But….but…. it’s an Acer. Ewwwww.

• Ryu Connor

If NVIDIA never supports FreeSync, then how exactly is it any different than GSync?

It being part of the DisplayPort standard is pointless if only one of the graphic card duopoly bother to support it.

• Meadows

The stand is also more practical on the TN one, leaving more room for little thingies on your desk. And the thin bezel design makes it look great. Say what you want, but the IPS one does look worse at first glance even if its display may well be better.

• Meadows

Then again, I habitually clicked the red thumb before my conscious side noticed, and the dumb comment system doesn’t let me undo it, so three cheers for irony.

• Meadows

Don’t understand the minuses, as you’re absolutely right.

• Meadows

One can’t help but wonder what sort of overdriving wizardry is behind that “144 Hz” IPS panel, as much as I’d personally been waiting for one to come.

I wonder if it has an adjustable overdrive setting for people to turn it off, and whether it supports strobe backlighting when G-Sync is turned off.

There needs to be a high-speed video review about what it can really do without overdrive.

• LoneWolf15

At this point, buy a card for other points than the monitor refresh method. It’s still an emerging thing, and there’s other things that take precedence –though I’ll admit, I’m glad they’re finally paying attention to higher+adaptive refresh rates.

After having a Geforce 8800 series, I had ATI/AMD through the next several generations (4890, 5870, 6970 then x2, R9 280x x2). I went back to nVidia because the new Maxwell designs are pretty amazing as far as performance while being efficient –low heat, low power and very quiet under load.

I don’t dislike either brand; in the end, my choice is based on performance, efficiency, features, and price.

• Laykun

143MHz?! Great Scott!

• MadManOriginal

They have to make the frame of the TN all shiny-pretty in order to distract people from the TN panel and make it appeal to 1337 G4M3RZ. Meanwhile, the IPS panel is used by people who care about the quality of the panel, rather than superficial things like the frame.

• sweatshopking

I did actually, but I don’t recall it.

• Roo5ter

Still upset with my video card company of choice, Nvidia, for this whole G-Sync racket. Freesync just makes so much more sense to support but I’m not yet sure if it’s enough to make me toe the AMD waters again after more than a decade.

I’m interested to see how this battle shapes up in the next four months while I start prepping for my next build.

Uh, what’s wrong with 1600 vertical?

Even I don’t have 1600 vertical amd i consider myself way ahead of the average with dual 1440p panels.

Don’t forget that your average Joe is rocking a single, TN, 1080p screen.

• puppetworx

This year’s monitor lineup can’t come soon enough for me, I have cash just waiting to be burned.

• End User

Holy time to upgrade was 3 years ago Batman!

I get your love for the 1600 vertical but I think you’ve stuck with it for far too long. Maybe if you were rocking dual 3007 – but a 2001FP from 2003!?! The 2001FP must have dropped to 50 nits. You should be running dual/triple 27″ 2560×1440 by now.

• puppetworx

And did you see the frame on the Mona Lisa? Disgusting.

• MadManOriginal

7ms works out to ~143 Hz. That is grey-grey of course, so maybe it won’t look as fast as a 1ms grey-grey TN panel in actual use at high refresh rates, but frame-sync’d refresh is really beneficial at lower frame rates, say sub-60FPS which is 16.7ms, anyway.

• LoneWolf15

Nice to see them making it fully adjustable. I’ve seen too many Acer monitors that skimp on that.

Can’t wait to hear more about the XB270HU.

• LoneWolf15

How I feel about my 2408WFP-HC as well.

• JustAnEngineer

We’re getting close. I’m waiting for a 3840×2160 IPS monitor with DisplayPort Adaptive Sync (“FreeSync”) before I consider replacing my 2560×1600 UltraSharp 3007WFP + 1200×1600 UltraSharp 2001FP setup.

• LASR

Finally, there is a monitor worthy of replacing my aging Dell 3007WFP-HC.

• Zizy

144Hz IPS = interesting. It could be simply marketing bullet point – give high refresh rate and don’t bother with the fact pixels cannot really follow the refresh. But more likely it has some decent overdrive stuff thrown in which makes most LC transitions really happen below those 7ms. Yeah, colours will be way off but people don’t seem to mind that while gaming. Turn off OD and it becomes a regular IPS panel, good enough for photoshop stuff.

• sweatshopking

the tn panel has a way nicer design than the ips. that IPS iS UGLY>

Share this post with your friends!