New MSI Z97 mobo sports a USB 3.1 Type-C connector

Finalized last August, the USB 3.1 Type-C connector has a reversible design that promises to eliminate the infamous USB quantum superposition problem. MSI has now announced a Z97 motherboard that features a Type-C connector in its rear I/O cluster—the first to do so, according to the company. Behold the new Z97A Gaming 6:

Hallelujah! Now all we need are some Type-C peripherals.

MSI's CES press kit doesn't say much else about this mobo. From the picture above, though, we can see the Z97A Gaming 6 is a fairly high-end offering with isolated audio circuitry, three PCIe x16 slots (two of which look to have x8 electrical connectivity), five PCIe x1 slots, and a bevy of edge-mounted SATA ports. The board also has a stylish black-and-red paint job, with red accents that extend to some of the rear I/O connectivity.

• christos_thski

At the price MSI’s high end motherboards go, you’d be better off buying a standalone PCI Express USB 3.1 controller -when those inevitably ship- and save a whole lot of money. We’ll have to see 3.1 support on mainstream/midrange motherboards (and laptops) in order for the new standard to start making a dent.

• albundy

I thought the x99 was the high end line? the z97 looks very affordable.

• RdVi

It looks like there are only four regular USB ports. I guess it’s not easy to stack 3.0 ports on top of 3.1 ports. What about backwards compatible standard-a 3.1 ports? Surely they could’ve had two of them with the type c port on top.

Where we really need this is on the front of the case so people can easily plug in their type C phones.

• eofpi

[quote<]five PCIe x1 slots[/quote<] I count four.

• willmore

Maybe they’re miscounting the M.2 connector in front of the top x1 slot?

• Tumbleweed

There are five PCIe x1 slots, Captain Picard. Five!

• geekl33tgamer

Can already see companies producing cables that will have Type-C at one end and still be Type-A/Micro-A or B at the other. Sigh.

Edit: *nit-pick* (And is that a VGA connector still? Come on…)

• willmore

Yes, but it does seem to have a DVI and an HDMI (under the optical output). So, that’s *something*.

• maxxcool

Yeah… until every phone ships with the c-variants we won’t see a lot of dual end c-types.

Now we are going to see tons of crappie 3$ adapters *with bad sub* built right in and all sorts of other usb jackers sprinkled on Amazon and eBay.

I seriously need to get on my usb epoxy project for my building…

• UnfriendlyFire

For some reason that reminds me of seeing a USB stick jammed into an Ethernet port.

I don’t remember how the person did it.

• willmore

I’m guessing the answer isn’t “carefully”.

• setzer

Fairly easy to do, I assume you never did it by mistake 😛

• Kurotetsu

Something as stupid as jamming a USB anything into an Ethernet port isn’t something you do “by mistake”.

• TheQat

Absent-minded maybe, but USB-A connectors fit easily into ethernet ports. If you’re plugging something in where you have limited or no vision, it’s not far-fetched at all.