With Forge TV, Razer aims to bring PC gaming to the living room

Everyone seems to be trying to crack PC gaming in the living room lately, and Razer has just thrown its hat into the ring with four new products. The company’s Forge TV micro-console and Cortex: Stream software aim to let folks stream games from their PC to their home theater, while its Serval game controller and Turret “gaming mouse and lapboard” are there to provide couch-friendly gaming input.

The Forge TV micro-console is the most interesting of the bunch. A Roku-like contraption with Android software, this tiny (4.1″ x 4.1″ x 0.7″) device is powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage capacity. It features 802.11ac Wi-Fi (apparently with 2×2 MIMO antennas) and Gigabit Ethernet to ensure fast streaming, plus Bluetooth 4.1 + HS, USB 3.0, and HDMI out.

This micro-console will be able to stream PC games via Razer’s Cortex: Stream software, which is “launching into beta in spring 2015.” The software purportedly enables “ultra-low latency gaming” at resolutions up to 1080p. It’s “hardware-agnostic” and supports DirectX 9 or newer games from “any publisher,” as well. The brief demo in the video above seems to run at a weirdly low frame rate, though. Hmm.

If you want to go native, Razer says the micro-console can also “easily” handle the latest Google Play games. Users can even save their progress and resume playing on Android devices “via a cloud save feature.” Much like a Roku or Chromecast dongle, the Forge TV can also be controlled remotely via iOS, Android, and Windows devices as well as Chromebooks.

Backing the Forge TV are the Serval and Turret. The former is an Xbox-style gamepad designed by the same folks behind Razer’s existing Sabertooth controller. It can be used with the Forge TV or mated with an Android handset thanks to an “adjustable game clip.” The Turret, meanwhile, is described by Razer as a “fully anti-ghosted gaming keyboard and high precision 3500 DPI ambidextrous mouse” that have been “designed to fit perfectly on your lap.”

Razer will offer the Forge TV in the first quarter of this year. The console will sell either on its own for $99.99 or as a $149.99 bundle with the Serval controller. It looks like you’ll still have to buy the Cortex: Stream software separately for $39.99, though. Separate Serval controllers will retail for $79.99, while the Turret lapboard-and-mouse combo will set you back $129.99 when it comes out in the second quarter.

• destroy.all.monsters

Looks like a rebadged Nvidia Shield Portable.

I’m with MMO on Razer’s software. Not a fan and I’ve been a loyal customer since the Boomslang. Black Widow keyboard I have has hinky connections to the point that I don’t like connecting a headset to it because it only works randomly and the keys are cheap. Love my current Corsair mouse and I don’t have to deal with having drivers that need to be online or “update” the firmware (which ironically enough if there were templates so that I didn’t have to make my own would just about make the whole concept tolerable).

Just dumb.

• sweatshopking

yawn. ANOTHER ANDROID SET TOP BOX. ANOTHER DOA PRODUCT. THIS ONE DOES COME WITH A BLONDE THAT TOUCHES YOU ON THE ARM FOR SITTING IN THE KITCHEN PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ON YOUR PHONE STRAPPED INTO A CONTROLLER LIKE A DORK THOUGH. IF MY WIFE SAW ME DOING THAT SHE WOULD INSULT ME, BUT HEY, THAT’S JUST OUR LOVING RELATIONSHIP.
    THESE GUYS STILL DON’T UNDERSTAND THE HTPC. I SHOULD MAKE A PRODUCT AND THEN I’LL BE RICH. IT SURE AS HELL AIN’T THIS THING.

80$ FOR A CONTROLLER?!??! F YOU, RAZER.

• NTMBK

Fix your caps lock key.

• Bensam123

It’s a Ouya! And I’m sure it’ll be just as popular and have just as many games available for it!

So streaming to your living room dumb terminal is the new rage. Can’t wait for the Google app to come out that will run on a Chromecast… Then people will buy more Chromecasts for $25.

Oh hey I need a SteamMachine? Nope… a Chromecast will do the same thing.

Ouya’s mistake was locking people into just their store. They should have stuck to Play. At least this one is coming out with a current chipset instead of something that’s back in the ice ages like Tegra 3 was when Ouya shipped.

• LordVTP

I tried to love Ouya! I really did, backed it and worked for 4 months trying to squeeze enough performance out of it to matter (I don’t do pixel graphics) but 1080p and tegra3 are a match made in hell.

• Wildchild

Or just buy a long HDMI cable and bluetooth dongle for a fraction of the price and not have to worry about latency or an inconsistent connection.

• MadManOriginal

Razer software? WHERE DO I SIGN UP??

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Razer software? WHERE DO I SIGN UP??[/quote<] You have to sign up to install Razer drivers these days. Pretty soon they'll make you sign up just to buy their products. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll make you sign up to view their products, at which point we can collectively ignore them from then on out.

• geekl33tgamer

[quote<]we can collectively ignore them[/quote<] Been doing that for a while...

• Bomber

After owning two separate Razer products that failed within days of purchase I’ll pass on this.

• geekl33tgamer

That looks really nice, but would it have hurt to saddle it with a low-power x86 CPU so we can use Steam streaming instead?

I’m not a fan of (yet another) proprietary streaming tech – and they expect you to actually buy this one separately. This one may be a tough sell to the gamers I think they are trying to target.

• DragonDaddyBear

I don’t think it’s needed. The SoC used keeps the cost way down along with power. And the software I’m OK with. Steam is proprietary, right? But what this thing is not is a new ecosystem. If I can stream just about any game from my computer I’m all in. If I have to buy from a specific place or am restricted in games, then heck no.

• geekl33tgamer

Think your missing the bit where Steam is free, and also likely to already be on most gamers PC’s. Your points are valid about this using less power, cost, and yes – Steam is proprietary in the sense that it’s streaming service is tied to Windows.

Windows is flexible in what you can install and run – so it has lot’s of free other options that can also do that this is trying to do.

• HisDivineOrder

$100 for the Android console, $150 for the console bundled with a controller.

Sounds good…

…then you had to go and charge $40 for the Streaming software.

So close, so far away, Razer.

Meanwhile, they chose a Qualcomm chipset so Limelight will never be as good as it could have been with an nVidia-based one. Qualcomm chipsets are well-known to have issues with latency that keep them from being all they can be like they are with nVidia-based chipsets on Android.

Big whiff here. The pricing is beyond ludicrous, to the point it’s actually plaid. I can kinda see $150 for the hardware + controller, but $40 for the software on top of that?

• The Egg

This actually doesn’t look bad. I wonder how well it plays media.

Play store = VLC so it should be as good as anything else.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think you mean XBMC has an android port 😉

They both do. Whatever makes you feel good. 🙂

• Neutronbeam

I wonder if Valve will get Steamed about this?

• willmore

Let me guess, Windows only?

• Kretschmer

Of course; it’s a gaming product.

• willmore

Is that some sideways “PCs are better than consoles” joke? Because a lot of gaming is done on them.

• sonofsanta

I am absolutely, positively, completely certain that where nVidia and everyone else failed with all this, Razer will be the ones to succeed with more or less the same idea except also a keyboard and mouse for your lap which weren’t otherwise available anyway of course. Oh, and a cost for the software.

Yep. Surefire winner.

• drfish

An ambidextrous mouse [i<]and[/i<] a mouse pad built into the right side of the keyboard... :-/

Kinda looks like it snaps on and off with either side of the keyboard available.

• drfish

That’s what I thought at first but in the high res photo you can see that it would cover up the power button and Bluetooth switch…

Yeah, I see it now, too. that’s a bummer.

• Hattig

Cheap box. Expensive accessories.

• MadManOriginal

It’s the Razers and Blades business model.

• Voldenuit

Yet another proprietary streaming method. Yay.