Asus’ Core M-powered ZenBook is coming in Q1

Intel's Core M processor isn't just for convertibles. The low-power Broadwell variant is also being used in ultra-slim notebooks, including Asus' ZenBook UX305. First revealed in September, the ZenBook is making the rounds at CES this week. Scott snapped a couple of pictures of the finished product, which is due to hit retailers in the first quarter of the year.

The 13.3" system is 0.48" thick and 2.6 lbs. Multiple versions will be available, including variants with 1920×1080 and 3200×1800 display resolutions. Both screens are based on IPS panels with matte coatings, and neither one features touch functionality. Amen, brother.

Under the hood, the UX305 comes with a Core M 5Y10 or 5Y71 processor, 4GB or 8GB of memory, and 128GB or 256GB of solid-state storage. All versions of the machine have 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, full-sized SD slots, and multiple USB ports. 10/100 Fast Ethernet is available via an "external cable."

Pricing hasn't been set, but the specs should allow for a relatively affordable base model. I hope upgrading to the 3200×1800 display isn't too expensive.

• sweatshopking

the disdain for touch so silly. While you might not want it, having it as an option is awesome. I wouldn’t buy another laptop without touch, and I’m not alone. Many moms, sisters, dads, kids, appreciate the value it brings.

• UnfriendlyFire

I wouldn’t mind touch, it’s just that I strongly dislike the glare off of a reflective display, especially in brightly lit rooms or outdoors.

I used to use a laptop with a highly reflective 768p TN display for the past five years, and it sucked.

Bumping up the brightness to compensate for that would drain the battery.

If there were non-reflective touchscreen displays, I’d be willing to pay extra.

• sweatshopking

So a decent ips with good brightness and bonded glass. That’s not unreasonable or impossible.

• Srsly_Bro

I’d have a family without fingers.

• UnfriendlyFire

If the 3200×1800 display is a Pentile display, then I’m out. A few laptops from Asus, Samsung and maybe another company all had issues with yellow being rendered as mustard green.

Notebookcheck did not have a positive opinion of those laptops in their gamma/grayscale/color calibration tests.

I’d much prefer a decent 1080p than a color-inaccurate higher resolution display.

EDIT: There’s already a price and review of this laptop: [url<]http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5868-asus-zenbook-ux305-review/[/url<] "The Bad: glitch trackpad, no backlit keyboard, runs rather hot, only average battery life, slow Wi-Fi" "This is not a powerful ultrabook and I can’t stress this enough. In fact, it’s a computer I’d only recommend for basic everyday activities. It can handle video playing, light browsing, editing documents, listening to music and so on, but don’t push it too much or it will choke. And don’t expect it to perform like a Haswell U or even an Ivy Bridge U machine. It won’t." "Overall, I believe the UX305 is a better deal than the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, as it sells for a lot less and is not a lot slower." EDIT 2: The 3200x1800 display doesn't have as bad as a color skew compared to other laptops with 3200x1800 Pentile displays, but the negative attributes at a price range of $700 to $1100 is questionable. EDIT 3: My Acer Travelmate P645-MG has a longer battery life (7-9 hours), a Radeon 8750M and i7 4500U at $1100. Granted, it does weigh more (3.46lb vs 2.8lb), but it's not going to choke or chew through the battery life.

• ludi

I’m beginning to think about a replacement for my 1810TZ, particularly since my eyes are aging a bit and a 12″ screen is just a bit small these days. One of these would be ideal if the price can get reasonably below $1k.

• DarkMikaru

I hear ya brotha. My last two laptops have been HP G Series systems with 17.3in screens and I love the real estate. However, it seems the screen quality was sacrificed for size. However, overall it still gets the job done. Now I’m thinking about finding a thin / ultrabook like 17.3 that won’t break the bank. Might be waiting a long time before that happens. But yeah… I can’t go back to 13.3in models, maybe 15 again but I’d rather not.