Here’s a closer look at MSI’s crazy Titan GT80 gaming notebook

You may have already heard about MSI's crazy Titan GT80 gaming notebook, which has a Cherry MX mechanical keyboard built in. Scott got up close to the system at CES this week, and he was able to snap some pictures.

In addition to its backlit MX brown keyboard, the system features an 18.4" 1080p display, a Core i7-4980HQ processor, dual GeForce GTX 980M graphics cards, room for up to four M.2 SSDs in a RAID config, additional space for a 7,200-RPM mechanical hard drive, and a Killer N1525 802.11ac Wi-Fi controller.

The backlit keyboard sits at the front of the system's chassis, so MSI has positioned the touchpad next to it. As you can see in the photo above, the touchpad doubles as a numeric keypad—in case you want to puncuate your mobile gaming sessions with some Excel jockeying.

Last we heard, pricing for the Titan GT80 was supposed to start at $3,299.

• floodo1

Did someone on youtube make this and sell it to MSI? Seems like someone’s “I made a portable xbox” type of mod, not a real production computer.
    MSI is pushing boundaries man! (-8

• ronch

Don’t like those keyboards that are pushed way towards the front edge. It’s one of those things designers try to put out that’ll quickly go out of vogue in a year or two, then it becomes embarrassing to be seen still having this design from a bygone era when designers were running out of ideas in public. Examples: cars with the instrument cluster located front and center, fender vents, belt bags, etc.

• albundy

there’s a market for this? are they going by the proven track record of analysts?

• wizardz

why?

i mean i understand people wanting to “easily” shuffle their computers around but.. i just dont understand the need for such a monster. (ugly and large is a proper definition for a monster).

and the numpad.. please no…

• ChangWang

If I were in the market to replace my DTR, I’d pass on this *because* of the keyboard….

Holy aesthetics failure, Batman!

I guess this must appeal to someone, the same someone who hates Apple’s simple, clean design language.

But most of MSI’s gaming laptops make me want to puke rainbows, which is a shame because they’re (usually) well-priced and solidly built.

• Kretschmer

My GS60 Ghost Pro is aesthetically appealing when the backlight is dialed back. My only gripe with its form is the massive “GAMING” badge on it, which precludes leveraging the unit for client meetings and the like.

• Shinare

Unfortunately, priced far outside of the realm of possibility, for me anyway.

• Srsly_Bro

Even if it wasn’t, would you still consider buying it?

• nanoflower

As a home PC that you could take outside, maybe. As a PC to take on the road, no way. Even if the weight doesn’t turn out to bad that laptop looks huge and would be unwieldy on the road. I can only see it being useful in an office/home environment where it doesn’t get moved often (or ever.)

• BiffStroganoffsky

An analog flight stick where the touchpad resides would be better use of that space. 🙂

• willmore

Somewhat harder to close, though. But, who are we kidding, these are never going to be moved.

• chuckula

[quote<]Core i7-4980HQ processor,[/quote<] Price: TRAY: $623.00 [quote<]Last we heard, pricing for the Titan GT80 was supposed to start at $3,299.[/quote<] Darnit!! If they had just gone with the new AMD contra-revenue parts it could have been a super-affordable $2,576 with a -$100 Chorrizo!

• ronch

I love how ‘Chorrizo’ has stuck here at TR. AFAICT I was the guy who came up with it when we were fooling around replacing Haswell with Hasbeen and all that.

• chuckula

I give props!

• krazyredboy

Ok…I get how that type of keyboard offers a better feel (I love a good, clicky keyboard), but as somebody who uses my laptop’s keyboard for 80% of what I do, I still don’t see how this would be a nice setup. I looks extremely clunky to me. Also, having to switch back and forth between the number pad and mouse, just seems like an unnecessary addition and time killer.

I will grant that it probably allows for a better design for cooling, however. It looks to have plenty of room for cooling the processor and cards, and may even make use of slightly larger fans, which would decrease noise, in a setup like this.

Also, having the keyboard that far forward would seem uncomfortable to me, as well. I would have to carry a wrist rest around with that computer.

Lastly, it looks heavy, too. I’m sure it’s not, but just looking at it makes me say “no,” to the thought of lugging it around everywhere. I have a Dell XPS 17″ laptop, that has quite a bit of weight on it’s own, but even it seems small in comparison. I like the specs, but not the form, is what I’m trying to say.

• dodozoid

is this still considered a laptop? probably more like nutcracker or nutpopper or whatever

edit: english…

• sweatshopking

WHY BOTHER WITH THE KILLER NIC?!?!?! SO TERRIBLE.

• willmore

Really? All of the kitchen sink bits they threw in there and you focus on that one?

• HisDivineOrder

Because putting all that effort into a filet mignon and then to coat it in cheeto’s powder really stands out.

• dashbarron

Ten years ago…yes…but I’m never quite sure why/how important having independent wireless/wired controllers are. Is the hit to the CPU that much we need to worry about? Especially for wired network adapters, I don’t see the hit to performance or stability as a concern. Not sure I’d ever notice a performance hit that would be tangible to my experience with a built in adapter. And it’s hard for me to justify and try to surmise why an aggressive wireless adapter would be better than the OEM options, when available.

• mutantmagnet

Well it’s been almost 2 years since I’ve read laptop reviews Killer actually makes great wireless cards. Don’t confuse them for their ethernet cards which use up a bunch of CPU resources.

• stdRaichu

IIRC they’re now just a subdivision of atheros, who have always been one of the best manufacturers of wireless NICs (especially with regard to their linux support), so the “killer” ones are probably just the same solid atheros silicon underneath the usual xtr3me g@merz marketing fluff.

Edit: Yup, killer wireless NIC [url=https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Bigfoot_Networks_Killer_Wireless-N_1202<]uses the bog-standard ath9k driver[/url<].