Uber-slim SilverStone Mini-ITX cases can house dual-slot graphics

Generally speaking, slim Mini-ITX cases lack room for full-fledged desktop graphics cards. Not so with SilverStone's new RVZ02 and FTZ01, which both get around that limitation without sacrificing slenderness.

Left: the RVZ02. Right: the FTZ01.

Rear view.

As you can probably guess from the pictures above, both cases fit a dual-slot graphics card by placing it parallel to the motherboard, rather than perpendicular to it. Amazing what you can do with a little clever engineering and a PCIe riser. We didn't grab internal shots of the FTZ01, but here are a couple of the RVZ02:

The RVZ02 is coming in the second quarter and is the slimmer of the two, with a volume of just 10 liters. Despite that distinction, it can house graphics cards up to 11.5" long, including the GeForce GTX 980.

The FTZ01 is closer to release and is a little larger, at 14 liters. SilverStone expects to roll it out later this month with a $129 asking price. This one is made of solid aluminum (hence the metallic finish), and it features a dual-chamber design with slim fans. SilverStone says the FTZ01 is similar to the Falcon Northwest Tiki, which it produced.

• Grimmy

Finally slimming down.
    Amazing when a powerful PC with standard components can get almost as small as an console.
    And with weight & size reduced the possibilities of moving and setting up the game computer anywhere in the house, even bring it to a friend or take with on vacation. Things things that was out of the question before. Or very seldom done.
    With cases like SilverStone’s new RVZ02 and FTZ01 and the 600 SFX psu a max gaming PC can soon be small as the current consoles.
    The massive full and mid towers will still be the mainstream but I really hope small size max gaming PC will become more apart of the mainstream bringing cost down & multiple choice.
    Have now a ncase M1 ver1 with i5-4670K, GTX780Ti, ASUS Z87I-PRO, H60 Hydro, 650W PSU SSD+HDD all 300+steam games loaded.

• VincentHanna

A friend of mine packed his gaming PC on vacation…

TSA took a crowbar to it. You-have-been-warned.

• TheMonkeyKing

Need moar pictures…

(like how do the GPUs mount to the body? Is there overlap between the GPU and PSU? What is the PSU wattage?)

• Khali

Looks like they took two HTPC cases and stood them on their sides so they could install air vents in bottoms. They also look rather wobbly even with those feet they put on them.

• Duck

[quote<]Amazing what you can do with a little clever engineering and a PCIe riser.[/quote<] *Amazing what you can do by just copying Steam's layout because you can't work it out yourself.

I laughed, but who made the Steam enclosure?

• Johnny Rotten

Really like the aesthetics/dimensions of that FTZ01, too bad I just put together a Node 304 three months ago… =/

OH WELL.

Still love my little Node 304, will never go back to matx…

• imsosorry

Looks like a metal version of the plastic equivalents RVZ01 and ML07. I have the latter and it makes for a nice compact mITX build, and Silverstone has a 600W SFX PSU that should more or less handle any setup you’d be building in one of these machines. Also has space for a slot-load ODD, 3 SSDs, and an HDD.

• EndlessWaves

The Fortress 01 is, but the Z02 is a slimmer version of the same layout. I’m not sure if it’s the same chassis or not.

It is a nice layout, it’s just a shame the slimmest version has a horrible raven design. I’m guessing the Acrylic panel isn’t part of the final design but even so those angles and ‘frame’ of the front panel aren’t for me at all.

The FT01 is nicer and at that price I’m hoping it gets the dust filters the ML07 lacks.

• CasbahBoy

Reminds me of a smaller Lian Li Q19: [url<]http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q19/[/url<] I very nearly purchased the Q19 from NewEgg yesterday, but instead I'm waiting for the Lian-Li PC-O5. I'd really like to have a window, and it looks like the drive tray in the PC-O5 is removable meaning I can fit my HTPC's 240mm long GPU in there.

• XTF

Nice! Still no ATX PSU support though?

• HellDiver

Not sure why you seem to think this is something new, I’ve had a similar Silverstone ML07 case for about a year – basically the same case as the gold FTZ01, only in mine is in ugly black.

• trackerben

Great they’re reviving IBM’s PC1xx and 3xx designs from the 1990s. Progress!

• libradude

I like em! Any info on power supplies (included or supported)? Those look a bit small for their usual 450w SFX unit.

• internetsandman

the power supply support will probably be the same as in their RVZ01 case, their first real attempt at a slim performance case. Their 450W six power supply fit great in there, especially with the shorter cables

• koaschten

They also offer a 600W SFX PSU -> [url<]http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en[/url<]

• libradude

oh wow, thanks! 😀

• aceuk

These Silverstone cases look huge compared to the A4 which is 5.74L.

[url<]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1799326[/url<]

• Duct Tape Dude

That’s pretty neat, and makes me want to build a case that supports a PSU in the box as well. Only real caveat I see is that you need adequate clearance on every side of the case which kind of detracts from the overall size of the build. But still, that’s a really neat design!

• XTF

That A4 doesn’t support an internal PSU..

The SFX version has a spot for an SFX PSU, which there are a handful of 80+ designs on Newegg with plenty of power for a single-GPU design.

Awww yisss!
    I knew it’s would be Silverstone to bring the “Steambox” mITX with angle-riser graphics to the mainstream.

I wish it wasn’t silverstone as they’re fond of brittle plastics and slightly fussy designs, but they get overall credit for being the ones with the balls to try out new ideas far more frequently than anyone else.

• Thrashdog

Granted that it’s not got much in the way of plastic on it, but I’ve got an old Temjin case from them that, barring some dents and scrapes on the side panels from many moves during college kept it’s good looks for more than a decade. I’m only now thinking on retiring it because it’s not up to challenge of handling the thermals of modern hardware. I agree that their plastic-y stuff looks kinda chintzy, but when they’re good, they’re really good.

TJ08, TJ08-E, SG06, SG08 and GD05 lover here.