New Antec cases have stylish looks, noise-reduction features

A trio of new Antec enclosures is on its way. The P380, P70, and P50 run the gamut from ATX to microATX, and all are decked out with noise-reduction features, including side panels layered with high-density polycarbonate to minimize vibration.

The flagship of the series is the P380, which looks like a descendent of the famous P180. This newcomer eschews traditional 5.25" storage to make room for eight tool-less internal bays, which can fit either 3.5" or 2.5" drives. Fans of optical media aren't left out in the cold altogether, though; the P380 also features a single slim-line optical bay. Also note the sideways-facing front-panel ports.

Other amenities include a built-in fan hub that drives three pre-mounted fluid-dynamic-bearing fans. All three of those fans handle exhaust duties: there are two 140-mm ones up top, plus a 120-mm spinner at the back. In total, users can fit up to seven fans, and there's room for 360-mm liquid-cooling radiators at the front and top.

Expect to pay $249 for this beauty when it hits stores in March.

The P70, pictured above, is an entry-level mid-tower with a $69.99 price tag. This offering is already listed on Antec's website, and it appears to follow the same internal template as recent cases from the likes of Corsair and Cooler Master. The focus on noise reduction is evident, though, as rubber grommets line the storage bays, and a removable cover can seal the top vents.

Rounding out the series is the P50, which fits microATX motherboards and has a layout much like Corsair's Carbide Series Air 240, down to the dual-chamber arrangement and outside-facing internal drive bays. This puppy can fit two SSDs, three mechanical hard drives, and a 5.25" optical drive. It has three bundled fans, eight fan mounts in all, and room for two 240-mm radiators. Pretty impressive for a small-form-factor design.

• Zenphic

Sleek cases, but I would have liked to see a gunmetal or titanium color to the P50 and P70. Antec has nailed it with the P380 though.

• ronch

Stylish? It looks like a plain box with a few lines here and there to me.

I guess that makes all Macbooks and ipads unstylish to you too?

Clean, unfussy aesthetics can be stylish, arguable moreso than chintzy gloss accents and silly multicoloured lights everywhere!

• ronch

I know. But I just don’t find these very nice. Oh well. To each his own, I suppose.

I cannot argue with that.
          /salute

• Zenphic

It’s how many cases are coming out nowadays. Either that or they go full crazy like the In Win S Frame.

• XTF

Again no compact mATX tower? Shame..

No 5.25″ bays is nice though.

For such a big company, it’s taken Antec a while to fall into line with features that others have been offering for several years now, but I’m never disappointed by build-quality with Antec. Even their cheapest, nastiest cases are better made than other stuff in the same price-bracket.

• LostCat

I always liked the Sonatas more than anything else I’ve used. Probably not building a new box for a while but I’d get these.

• Zenphic

It was a very nice series. I would love to see an update on it.

• blastdoor

Does anybody make anything equivalent to the old 2009/2010 mac pro aluminum cases?

• deruberhanyok

equivalent in looks, or ability for the metal and weight to slice straight through your hands and leave you without usable fingers?

In looks, there’s the bitfenix prodigy. In weight and digit-reducing ability, I’m not sure anyone saw that as marketable.

• blastdoor

Equivalent in looks both internal and external , and equivalent in terms of the ease with which drives are added or removed.

• stdRaichu

Don’t think there are any cases that had the same nifty internal compartmentisation that the apple cases did, but Lian Li did a few cases that were similar – I think the [url=http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1000l/<]V1000L[/url<] is the only one still in production. Price-wise it'll probably be about $300 or so stateside.

• destroy.all.monsters

Damn the P380 is sexeh.

The naked P380 kinda gave me a boner. Don’t tell my Define R4.

• Lore

Still using the original Antec Sonata for my main rig, hasn’t rusted away yet so will continue using it for the next 10 years as well. Was disappointed by the original case fan giving up after 10 years of being on 8 hours a day. Goddammit Antec, can’t you produce stuff to last ! Is that too much to ask for ?

• albundy

lol, 10 years? not bad! i still have my antec 300 from 2008 still going strong. i ended up modding the front panel by removing the old usb 2 ports and installing two usb 3 extension cables. it was an easy mod and looks very clean, like the 300 two version!

• Zenphic

Well, you know what they say, computer cases are an investment. I myself am still using the Antec NSK3480 that I bought back in 2008.