Here are more glamor shots of MSI’s USB Type-C motherboard

MSI's Z97A Gaming 6 is the first motherboard we've seen with a USB 3.1 Type-C port. The official MSI photo we posted the other day was a little lackluster, but luckily, our boots on the ground managed to track down the board and shoot some higher-res photography.

The Type-C USB connector sits between the HDMI and USB 3.0 ports, and it's dwarfed by them. Thanks to the reversible design, though, you won't need a flashlight to plug in Type-C devices properly. We're told the connector is hooked up to an ASMedia controller. (The Intel Z97 chipset doesn't have native support for USB 3.1.)

Here's a glamor shot of the full board. Looks like there's a SATA Express port sitting in the bottom-right corner, while an M.2 connector occupies the space beside the top PCIe x1 slot.

Head on to the gallery below for full-resolution images.

I’ll still need a flashlight because I’m crawling under my desk if I’m plugging/unplugging stuff on the rear. These ports really need to be on the front of the PC first.

• Walkintarget

Or buy the USB cables that have an LED built into each end. I have a few for such occasions and they are a god-send.

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-A-Male-B-Male-Braided-Lighted/dp/B003ES5ZQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420814430&sr=8-3&keywords=lighted+usb+cables[/url<]

Neat idea. If they’re not plugged in, how are they powered?

• estheme

Dead sexy.

• stdRaichu

This is nice and all… but I don’t think manyof us here would like to run computers with two different types of physical USB slots. Are USB A -> USB C adapters feasible? Something that would slot into any given existing USB A slot and turn it into a USB C slot would be a [i<]huge[/i<] boost for adoptability for all of us not wanting to change our motherboards... shouldn't be any need for it to protrude more than a couple of millimetres.

• sweatshopking

I’M SURE ALL NEWER DEVICES THAT ARE C WHILE HAVE ADAPTERS COME WITH THEM FOR A WHLIE.

• Voldenuit

Dangit, I would much rather have had the reversible USB socket concept gain traction than this USB-C thing.

Because we [i<]really[/i<] need another physical interface formfactor. Not.

• MDBT

I’m a bit confused, Type C is reversible and that looks like a female socket to me. A google search of “reversible USB socket” just gets me references to Type C connectors. Could you explain or provide a link to that which you are referring?

• Voldenuit

There are a few concepts for reversible USB connectors floating around, one of which involves an [url=http://www.thetecholic.com/apple-might-face-patent-issues-new-reversible-usb/<]ultra thin middle septum[/url<], another which [url=http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/usb_concept_solves_port_plug_problem<]has a spring-loaded block[/url<]. Of course, neither are without potential issues (mechanical wear, fragility of septum), and the USB connector was very poorly thought-out to begin with, but I'd rather a good reversible solution that's backwards (and forwards) compatible than have one more physical connector format.

• willmore

Is there anything in USB 3.1’s PCI-E alternate mode to keep it from being vulnerable to the bug that’s causing such pain on Thunderbolt? The security bug where you can just plug a device into the thunderbolt jack and compromise the machine with *no* clear way the machine can stop you.

• mesyn191

Its not so much a bug as the way its designed on purpose to make it easy for many devices to be both hot swappable and plug and play.

AFAIK USB3.1 is just as vulnerable since it can also do DMA sort of but not quite like Thunderbolt does. Allowing it to have DMA makes it fast but also opens the door to huge security issues.

• Redocbew

I wouldn’t ever recommend leaving a thing like this unpatched, but having physical access to the target machine often means it’s game over anyway.

• DragonDaddyBear

That’s nice and all, but I’ll be excited when there are headers on the motherboard and cases that put the port where I can reach it with my thumb, er, fingernail drive.

• shaurz

Just one measly port, boo.

• southrncomfortjm

+1 for taking the most oddly angled shot possible of that lone USB port.

• mesyn191

Just 1 USB3.1C connector and they had to sacrifice probably 2 more USB3 connectors to do it?

Bad trade off IMO. Would be better if they just shipped the mobo with a add in card that gave you a couple of USB3.1C connectors. That bottom slot would be perfect for a PCIe x4 card though a PCIe x1 version would be good enough so long as the card could be given more power through a 4 pin or SATA power connector so they could have at least 12v charging capability for faster charges.

Or at least gave you a add in card with more USB3 ports with the motherboard if that isn’t possible. That’d work too.

• sweatshopking

THESE PICS GOT ME SO TURNED ON. SO HOT RIGHT NOW. FIRST TIME IN A WHILE I’VE BEEN THIS IN THE MOOD.

• gigafinger

This doesn’t happen often, but I agree. Very nice looking mobo.

• smilingcrow

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, PLEASE!

• LoneWolf15

If anyone needs SSK, he”ll be in his bunk. With USB C pics.

• sweatshopking

I FLIPPING WANT THIS SO MUCH. SO TIRED OF USB AND HAVING TO TURN THE CABLE UPSIDE DOWN. IT’S LITERALLY KILLING ME.

• Voldenuit

Wait, you only have to turn your cable once to avoid the quantum USB superposition effect?

What, do you have Heisenberg compensators in your warp coils or something?