Super-small, superclocked GTX 970s mingle at Zotac

Yesterday, SilverStone showed us one way to stuff a high-end graphics card into a Mini-ITX case. Zotac has now demonstrated another approach. Behold the GTX 970 Single Fan, a shrunken version of Nvidia's enthusiast wonder:

This prototype is only 6.8" long, compared to around 10-11" for full-fledged GTX 970 variants. (Nvidia doesn't produce a reference GTX 970 design, so exact specs vary.) It draws power from a single six-pin PCIe connector instead of two, and it has an SLI connector that enables two-way configs.

Zotac is staying mum on other specifics, such as clock speeds, availability, and pricing for a potential production version. I'm sure we'll see this thing in stores eventually, though. Gigabyte successfully commercialized a similarly shrunken GTX 970 last year; it's selling at Newegg for $339.99.

Zotac is also cooking up the GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition, which takes things to the other extreme. We already talked about this monster earlier this week, but we now know a little more, including the fact that it's due out later this month with a $379-389 price tag.

The GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition runs at 1228MHz with a 1380MHz Boost speed, quite a ways up from the 1050/1178MHz reference frequencies specified by Nvidia. Zotac also clocks the card's 4GB of GDDR5 memory at 7.2 GT/s instead of the reference 7 GT/s. Rounding out the package are an impressive triple-slot cooler and dual 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

At $379-389, the card will be a fair bit more expensive than stock-clocked variants of the GTX 970, which typically start at $330. The speed difference may be worth it, though, especially since we've found that superclocked GTX 970 cards nip at the heels of the $550+ GeForce GTX 980.

• The Egg

I’d find a low-profile version to be much more interesting.

I have already [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101324&p=1231677#p1231670<]discussed my distaste/annoyance at these compact cards[/url<] on the forums today but I'll repeat it for the frontpage: Who are these midget cards aimed at? Find me an mITX case that has the capacity for a PSU which can handle a 200W GPU, yet doesn't have room for a "normal", 9 to 10-inch long card! One of the most compact ITX cases you can buy that allows a dual-slot card is the SG05 and that thing is truly tiny. [i<]EVEN THAT[/i<] can house a GTX680, GTX770, and is only 0.3" short of being able to accomodate a GTX980. Once again, what is the point of a sub-7" card? What possible scenario would you actually need one, and why wouldn't you be better off with a larger heatsink, more fans, and slower (quieter) fans at that....? To me, these "ITX Editions" are just ways for manufacturers to sell less for more.

• vshade

This one needs a lesser PSU than normal GTX 970s, also you don’t need to make smaller cases that can handle the correct PSU if there aren’t small video cards to put inside, so this thing helps move the whole thing to smaller cases, I’ve also saw a fair share of cases where the drive bays get too near the space of a gpu, those can help there too. Also my gtx 970 is only big because of its cooler, the pcb is quite smaller than the whole thing.

• zqw

In a Prodigy case, a full length card means you pull out the drive cage. I think most people don’t need it. I’m not familiar with the other ITX cases.

• jessterman21

I hate graphics card sag… I prefer my cards to be less than 8″ long – though something this short has its drawbacks.

• enio

Previous ITX edition GTX 760 from ASUS was marketed with a picture inside Lian Li PC-Q11. The other baby tower case is PC-Q29. There is also Cooler Master Elite 110.
      The more options we have the better.

• wabbit

[url<]http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q33/[/url<] Here you go. Tiny case with enough space for a standard PSU. Try searching for Jonsbo cases as well. Rosewell sources a few models from them. Not like there is no choice.

• EndlessWaves

There are plenty, they’re just aimed at real Mini-ITX, not DTX-by-proxy, and only have one backplate for the one card Mini-ITX supports.

So currently they’re not terribly useful, but it could prompt case manufacturers to start shrinking their mammoth 15L+ gaming “Mini”-ITX cases down to something closer to normal Mini-ITX sizes which would be a good reason for their existence.

• Peter.Parker

Honestly, I don’t understand your distaste/annoyance for what could basically be called “choice”. I realize this particular product is not for eveybody, but it’s not like they don’t make anything else…
      And why would you even bother about something that you cannot control? Are you really that afraid that soon enough, they are going to make only “this” kind of cards? By the way, this last question was rethorical, I know you don’t really think that.
      I’m not trying to start a polemic with you, I’m just simply stating “it’s their dime, let them spend it however they want it”.

• libradude

I have a 660ti in my SG05, and it stretches all the way from the backplate to flush against the front fan shroud – it was way more of a pain to get it in there than I had anticipated and I would not want to do it again – so really not sure how you would fit a 680 in there. That said, it is a 10.5″ evga sig2 card, so if there are some 680s that same size, good luck to you 🙂

I think if I had to do it again I’d pick one of these shorter cards due to ease of installation in a small mITX case.

• ChicagoDave

I’m going to be building an htpc soon with a Fractal Design Node 605 – it’s a ATX size case but due to its design it’s still going to be pretty tight. Anything I can do to increase space for wiring and airflow I’ll take and these mini cards look like a great choice.

Don’t get me wrong, in my server/tower I use a full size card for cooling and OC’ing, but these small cards don’t just apply to mini-itx builds.

Remembering this conversation, I ordered Sapphire’s compact mITX R9 270X for a conference PC replacement into another SG05 yesterday, and assembled it this morning.

Damn things are still stupid. The increased height to make the card shorter caused way more problems and I ended up having to use adapters unnecessarily just so that I could power the GPU and drives simultaneously. They power connectors for those things were all pointing at the same volume of space where a graphics card conforming to the ATX expansion card spec has no right to occupy.

• internetsandman

Why don’t card makers produce shrunken versions of the GTX 980? If the cooler can handle a 970 I don’t see why it couldn’t handle a 980

• libradude

“(Nvidia doesn’t produce a reference GTX 970 design, so exact specs vary.)”

Really? Who makes these? [url<]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-silver-black/9855169.p?id=1219441201895&skuId=9855169[/url<] I've watched an unboxing of this card on YouTube and it comes in a green and black box and says nvidia on it...

• enio

These are produced by a company named Manli. By the way… it would be funny if the box had Radeon written on it 😀

• libradude

Thanks for this info! Everything would seem to indicate that they are actually manufactured by NVIDIA. I’ve always had great luck with EVGA cards but they don’t make a 970 with the Titan style cooler, so I’m thinking this is my card. Never heard of Manli but they made 770 cards like this too, so hopefully they’re getting the hang of it and have worked out any issues they might have had the first time around .

I would pay good money to get that in Europe somewhere!

• enio

Here you go:
        [url<]https://geizhals.at/eu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-cwr-edition-m-ngtx970-5rdhdppp-a1197904.html[/url<] They still have Manli manufactured on the box but seem to have reference design.

Sadly, that translated, says “The images do not necessarily correspond with the actual products”

I’ve done this before hoping to get a Titan-style cooler on a GTX770 and ended up with a Palit that had a plastic blower cooler, followed by something unbranded that came with an open air cooler.

Perhaps they do exist over here but searching by image never works because the “980-style” coolers are expensive, and these unbranded OEM cards are only ever sold at bargain-basement prices

• enio

I am fairly confident that the pictures correspond to what caseking and that store from uk sell. Sadly these from Manli are not exactly the cards libradude is talking about. If you serch YouTube for GTX 970 reference there are these very nice packages from nVidia itself i guess and from Manli sligtly poorer versions.

Hmmm, overclockers.co.uk sell them and I quote:

[quote<]World Wide Exclusive at Overclockers UK: Due to popular demand Gibbo manufactures NVIDIA reference GTX 970 exclusively for Overclockers UK[/quote<] An exaggeration perhaps. If they're a worldwide exclusive howcome I'm seeing youtube unboxings from several countries? This gibbo is a pen-pusher (purchasing manager) not a graphics card manufacturer.

• Concupiscence

Hasn’t Gigabyte already made one of these? For the most part the major difference between the 970 and 750 Ti in this case probably amounts to a taller HSF with a copper core, but if there’s more to it I’d love to hear about it.