Rat Pro gaming mouse has swappable sensor, analog side scrolling

The Rat 7 is the most customizable mouse I've ever used, and it's been my daily driver for more than four year. I love the thing, but it may soon be time for a replacement, because Mad Catz has developed a Rat Prox that takes things to a whole 'nother level. The mouse debuted at CES this week, celebrating five years since the original was introduced at the show.

Source: Mad Catz

The Prox looks like an Insecticon, and it's quite the Transformer. A modular bay sits in the underbelly, letting users swap sensors to suit their personal preferences. Check it out:

Mad Catz says sensor modules can be changed "in literally seconds," and it sounds like optical and laser units will be available at the outset. The press release also mentions upgrades to new sensors down the road.

Wheel customization options include three removeable tires with different tread patterns. The scroller's "click force" is adjustable, and there's an "analog strafe" feature that seems to be a fancier form of horizontal scrolling. Mad Catz claims this capability allows gamers to "delicately peak [sic] out from cover." It probably works well for navigating large spreadsheets and images, too.

On top of all that, the Rat Prox comes with a handful of different palm, thumb, and pinkie rests. I also see what look like swappable base plates. Too bad there's no evidence of multiple color options. The neon green won't work for everyone.

I can't find any information on pricing or availability, but I've pinged Mad Catz for more details.

so you’re afraid of the Homestar Runner?

• BIF

Okay the -1 wasn’t from me, but nevertheless I’m afraid to click on your link.

Relinquish our pipes? [url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/blubbos.html<]We'd loooove to![/url<]

Sever your leg, please. [url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/drivethru.html<]It's the greatest day[/url<]

• Goofus Maximus

Honestly, that thing strikes me as a mouse designed by and for the Lego company.

• sweatshopking

They’re quite comfortable, actually.

• BIF

This thing looks like it could sever fingers!

• I.S.T.

HOW IS THIS COMFORTABLE TO USE

• tootercomputer

The top two pictures, it looks like a really cool snowmobile.

• Mad_Dane

Neon green mouse, faux granite cases, someone get the ecstasy my youth is being revived.

• Thrashdog

I too have noticed that the RAT 7’s sensor occasionally decides it only wants to function on one axis. Lifting it up and setting it back down again will usually fix the issue, and when it starts happening frequently it helps to clean the sensor window. I think it has something to do with the recessed sensor window picking up debris from the tabletop, but it’s one of the few flaws I’ve personally found in the device. Once I got it dialed in it was honestly the most comfortable mouse I’ve ever used.

• Ryhadar

The original R.A.T. 7 looked really cool but, if I remember correctly, it didn’t save the mouse settings onboard. That was kind of a deal breaker for me at the time, so I’m hoping they’ll have some onboard storage for this generation.

• Ryhadar

I think it’s supposed to come in less… “pronounced” colors if the picture on this techpowerup article is anything to go by: [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/208634/mad-catz-announces-the-r-a-t-prox-gaming-mouse.html[/url<]

• Neutronbeam

just like YOU already do… 😉

• Terra_Nocuus

It looks like the Tumbler, which can only be a good thing 🙂

• nico1982

Definately. I own the Rat 7 and I like that is rather sober even with the silly customization options it offers.

It is a bit fussy, but if I ignore the cheesy decals the actual shape of it is “function over form” which I always approve of.

• sweatshopking

LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED BY A 12 YEAR OLD BOY!! I LOVE IT!!! SO GREEN AND FAST LOOKING! I BET IF I CUT THE CORD OFF IT WOULD RACE AROUND MY HOUSE AND CLIMB UP THE WALLS ON IT’S OWN!!!!!

• Pez

I’ve got the R.A.T 7 as well, and love it!

• bjm

Does it come with a free can of compressed air for cleaning it?

• internetsandman

I owned a Rat 7 for a while but I actually found it too small and flat, even after adjusting the various components for my hand (and I don’t even have large hands). What really killed it for me though was the fact that the sensor developed a tendency to decide when I had scrolled too far to the left or right, and only accept input in the other three directions, as if my cursor was hitting an invisible wall

I picked up a Logitech G700 a couple years ago and I now swear by that mouse. More buttons and more comfortable.

• floodo1

I think I’ll probably give this mouse a shot … the old Rat 7 was really good on account of being able to adjust it to fit your hand just so. I probably would have kept it had I not wanted more buttons at the time (using various Razer Naga mice right now). This new variant looks pretty spiffy feature-wise, and I’ll reserve judgement on the aesthetics until I see it in person … I have a feeling it wont look as bad as these images suggest.

• Blazex

love my rat 7, it’s only problem is standard stuff with the walking sensor doing nothing and the middle click registering as two or more clicks at once… the extra swappability on stuff would be nice.

• bittermann

“Looks ridiculous” are the words your looking for?

• DancinJack

sorry i just can’t take that thing serious because of how it looks. i wouldn’t want to own anything like that. to each his own, though.

• Terra_Nocuus

I love my Rat 7, but I think the “click” is starting to go bad… I’ll just have to get another!

Share this post with your friends!