Seiki adjusts plans for 4K desktop monitors

This summer, affordable HDTV maker Seiki announced that it was getting into the monitor business with a trio of 28-40" displays boasting VA panels, 12-bit color, and both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3 connectivity. Those displays were supposed to arrive in the first quarter of this year, but Seiki's plans have apparently changed. At the Consumer Electronics Show last week, the company revealed that units with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 hotness aren't coming until Q2.

Seiki still has 4K desktop monitors scheduled for this quarter, though. These variants appear to have the same 12-bit VA panels as the delayed displays, but they'll only be available in 32" and 40" sizes. Although refresh rates aren't mentioned in the press release, support for DisplayPort 1.2 should open the door to 4K output at 60Hz. Other connectivity includes HDMI 1.4, MHL 3.0, DVI, and VGA—none of which can handle the native 3840×2160 resolution at 60Hz.

The 32" SM32UNP and 40" SM40UNP will be sold under the Seiki Pro brand, but we don't know for how much. Seiki plans to reveal pricing information closer to the release date.

4K feels like a waste at 28″ anyway (I’ve only actually experienced it at 27″, to be fair) and I’d much rather buy a 32″ 4K monitor in the first place.

4K at 32″ is as crisp as 1080p on a 15.6″ laptop screen, and I certainly don’t need to be that close to a 32″ display, ever.

Well, not unless I’m trying to lick it.

• Pwnstar

It’s not always about crispness. Higher resolution means you can see more of the game world around you.

Size of the display is more about how far you want to sit from it. Smaller display means you need to sit closer but they are cheaper.

• burntham77

I saw a few 4K displays at a local store and I found the 28″ models to be impractical. Despite being expensive, 4K really only starts to be useful on 32″ screens. The 32″ Asus model I saw looked amazing, to the point of justifying the expensive price. I see something like that as a long-term investment.

It reminds me of when I bought a 24″ 1920×1200 Dell monitor several years ago for $1300. It was a big price tag to swallow, but it was a high quality item and it lasted me quite a few years, more than any other component I have ever bought.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I spent about $1K (don’t remember exactly) for a 1600×1200-capable 21″ CRT back in the mid-90s. That was a huge investment (and a physically huge one as well) but it lasted me about a decade. Unfortunately LCD and connection technologies have been advancing too quickly to get anything like that kind of lifespan from displays recently. Which is better than stagnation, I guess, but it’s hard to get out in front of things right now even by spending a lot of money (eg, I can’t justify buying anything right now that isn’t HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.3)

• mcnabney

If DP1.3 means Freesync support, I think I will wait.

• Alexko

Unfortunately, it’s not implied. You can have DP1.3 without A-Sync, which remains optional; or so I’ve been told.

But with any luck, these do support it.

• jts888

According to srphoenix from [H]ardforum who was at CES, Seiki is punting on the G-/Adaptive-sync for cost reasons:
      [url<]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1847674&page=2[/url<] Other sad news is that they appear to be 6-bit panels with temporal dithering. A few months ago I was hoping to get this display, but at this point I'm going to wait for a DP 1.3+A-s system build around an LG/Samsung IPS/PLS panel. PVA + no UHD@120 Hz + no DP 1.3 + no Adaptive-sync + no native 24-36 bit processing + nowhere near as cheap as last model (~$1k estimate) = too many strikes against it.

• Milo Burke

But aren’t their TVs terrible? Someone with first-hand experience, please comment.

• wierdo

They’re ok for the price, kinda quirky but do the job more or less. If you need a cheap TV for the kids etc it’ll do.

• mcnabney

Not terrible at all. Remember what Samsung (Korea) did to Sony (Japan) about 10 years ago? Well, now Seiki (China) is going to do the same.

• LASR

I bought the 4K 39 incher for $350. They are amazing for the price. Disregarding price, they are still pretty good.

• ronch

Are Seiki displays available outside the U.S., Europe and Australiasia ? I don’t live in the aforementioned places but Seiki seems to be an interesting brand. FYI, it’s owned by Chinese cheap panel maker [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsinghua_Tongfang_Company<]Tsinghua Tongfang[/url<].

• Rectal Prolapse

I’ve seen non-4K models on sale in Canaduh.

• Bauxite