CompuLab stuffs AMD’s Mullins into a tiny fanless PC

AMD's Mullins mobile APU may not be showing up in many tablets, but we are seeing it crop up in some enticing mini-PCs. Zotac demoed just such a system at CES last week, and now, the folks at CompuLab have introduced another.

Dubbed fitlet, the CompuLab system packs an impressive array of hardware into its passively cooled 4.3" x 3.3" x 0.9" chassis. The fitlet-i variant features a A4-6400T processor with Radeon R3 integrated graphics, room for up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, mSATA and mini-PCIe slots, and a Micro SD card slot. Connectivity spans dual HDMI 1.4a outputs, dual Intel Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, and USB 3.0. Phew.

And that's not all. CompuLab has also announced a cheaper fitlet-B version, which will have a slower Mullins chip (the E1-6200T) and more limited expansion. Then there's the fitlet-X, which will be aimed at industrial applications and have four GigE controllers and a "FACET" mini-PCIe card that will provide even more connectivity.

CompuLab says it expects to start taking orders in February. Prices will start at just $129 for the fitlet-B, which isn't a bad deal—although, since these systems are all barebones, you'll have to add your own memory and SSD. Warranty coverage will be a generous five years across the board.

• hakron

Mint Linux just announced a mini PC that is almost a twin of the fitlet:
    [url<]http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2760[/url<] Even the casing is similar.

• backwoods357

This is exactly what I wanted to use this for, but I don’t think the CPU has quite enough horsepower for turning on all the bells and whistles. I’ve been looking at boxes based on the Octo-core atom chips but haven’t found one at a price I’m willing to pay for a home unit.

Examples:
    [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=c2758&N=-1&isNodeId=1[/url<]

• Redocbew

Yeah I get it for industrial uses, but there’s a decent number of fans around these days rated at ~10 dba which you won’t hear unless you stick your head right up next to it.

Maybe that’s just me but I’ve always thought it better to have more elaborate cooling with better components than a machine which is completely passive and has to sacrifice some functionality because of it.

• raddude9

Fanless PCs are:
    [list<] [*<]Quieter: No fans means that the PC can be silent (if SSDs are used). [/*<][*<]More Reliable: No Moving Parts. [/*<][*<]More Flexible: Can be used in dusty environments where fans would be prone to fail. [/*<][*<]Size: Not needing space for a fan often makes Fanless PCs smaller. [/*<] [/list<] With that set of trade-offs they are mostly of interest for industrial uses, but my own personal interest is for their noise-less qualities.

• Redocbew

I don’t understand the importance placed on completely fanless PCs. Even just a little bit of airflow often allows for a much wider range of options on hardware.

• NovusBogus

Yeah, it’s looking a modified Dell/HP/whatever thin-client box is going to be the endgame. I actually have one with a 775 slot in it, but not a reasonably efficient CPU and I question the motherboard’s long-term reliability (it was e-waste salvage). But I’m still gonna use this as an excuse to play with some more toys first. 🙂

In theory, Bay Trail does support XP based on the chipset readme and I’d assume that AMD’s stuff would too. Previous-gen Atom definitely does, but those are too weak for anything but cut-down Linux.

• bthylafh

There are plenty of obsolete mini PCs (some even fanless) to choose from. You’re apt to run into driver problems even if these things have a BIOS payload.

• NovusBogus

I wonder if it’ll run XP–I’d really like a fanless mini PC for legacy stuff but I’ve run into bios problems on the Intel side.

• Farting Bob

And here is their Linux Mint themed version from their press pack! [url<]http://www.fit-pc.com/web/wp-content/uploads/mintbox-mini.png[/url<] I can't decide if it looks nice or hideous.

• ludi

Nope. See here:
    [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_design_language[/url<]

Smaller than a NUC.

For [i<]a lot[/i<] of people interested in a NUC, that's pretty much the only thing that matters.

• HisDivineOrder

Seems like the ideal Steam Streamer is getting closer every minute in 2015.

• Flatland_Spider

Awesome!

This is what I’ve been looking for. 🙂

• bthylafh

Wrong.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Anyone know if the A4-6400T is powerful enough for some light VPN action and snort-ing??[/quote<] Should be enough as long as you are not trying to serve VPN to too many users at a time considering the CPU has AES hardware acceleration support.

• BigTed

[quote<]I've been keeping an eye out for little machines like these to run pfsense on.[/quote<] Yeah, me too. Hopefully with a 4gb stick of RAM and pfsense on one of those tiny USB thumb drives the fitlet-i should be able to replace my domestic BB router. Wireless ac is the cherry on the cake as long as it's not too expensive. Anyone know if the A4-6400T is powerful enough for some light VPN action and snort-ing??

• MadManOriginal

Only because of the color.

• Deanjo

Ya and they even have intel NICs! Nice, no garbage realtek.

• weaktoss

I’ve been keeping an eye out for little machines like these to run pfsense on. The i and X could be good candidates if the price is right. It’s surprisingly hard to find very compact boxes with more than one LAN port and a reasonable price tag.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Hah, you beat me to it.

• bthylafh

The design aesthetic reminds me of the Apple //c.

Share this post with your friends!