Windows 10 build 9926 adds Cortana, Continuum, and more

On the heels of Wednesday's Windows 10 event, Microsoft has released a new preview build of the operating system. Available now to members of the Windows Insider Program, build 9926 includes some—but not all—of the features demoed earlier this week. Here's a video preview presented by Joe Belfiore, Microsoft's OS chief:

In build 9926, users can look forward to Cortana integration, a revamped Start menu (which showcases the Continuum capability we saw in September), a new Windows Store, better support for wireless audio and video devices, some tweaks based on user feedback, and several new-and-improved apps, including Settings, Photos, Maps, and Xbox. Microsoft says it's working hard to get the rest of the features we saw this week ready for public consumption.

The new build is being pushed out to "both 'Fast' and 'Slow' rings simultaneously," Microsoft says, so current testers will get it regardless of the update frequency they've chosen. The new build should also be available as an ISO download for new members of the Windows Insider Program.

• Timezone

I had to quit watching the video cause i couldn’t stand the guy’s voice.

• Umbragen

The Windows 10 boot manager flags one of the Windows 7 system drives (in a dual boot config) and every time I need to actually do something I have to go through the Disk Check routine (It takes a surprisingly long time on a large mechanical drive!). I guess if your main goal is to replace previous Windows versions this is a low priority problem.

• Jigar

The trend continues, looks like Microsoft got this one right.

• culotso

They really sucked all the improvements out of the new Start Menu with this build. They were on the right track, and it was eminently usaeable in the last build, but now it’s so majorly crippled. You can’t push the menu key and just begin typing a programs name to find what you want, they seem to be moving that function to the Cortana search thingie. Can’t seem to turn off the internet connected results for that either, so it’s not being too useful.

Thank dog for Everything Search, but damn I was loving the way the new menu was working, it was just enough for me to abandon Start8, which is so far superior to anything this new menu has to offer. Yargh!

• roysterdoyster

So how do I restore the Start menu from the previous build?

I have no option to resize the start menu and when I press the start icon all i get is an empty right hand menu, 3 places apps and a search bar hiding all my taskbar shortcuts, which are how access most of programs

Could be another trip back to Linux land at this rate.

• curtisb

This was a bug in the 9926 build. They’re already released an Update Rollup that fixes the Start Menu issue, as well as several other things.

• MadManOriginal

The Start Menu is a lie!

• wkstar
      • culotso

> I want it to open “This PC”

That’s now an option. Hell yeah.

• destroy.all.monsters

It’s a damn good thing there’s no saw attached.

• Grigory

[url<]http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/07/22/m[/url<]

• christos_thski

Does continuum support transferring windows phone calls to the PC and writing SMS mobile phone messages on the computer?

• fhohj

well then it adds Continuum eh?

Hmmmm… *chin rub*

“I can’t log in!!! Can’t download the update! Oh the humanity! It’s on fire!”

Yep, sounds like Windows, makes sense.

• lilbuddhaman

Yep I still want to punch him and I haven’t even hit the play button on the video yet.

• MephistoFoundHome

Looks as creepy as Sarcozy.

• Aranarth

I can confirm the 9926 build is available as an iso, I’m downloading it right now.

• Jonsey

As a nerd, I know my fashion sense is stunted. But that hairstyle didn’t look good on the 17 year old kid making my sandwich at lunch today, and it’s not doing 40 something year old Joe Belfiore any favors either.

Its like a balding guy with a combover… they should embrace their baldness.

Joe, just because you have the hairstyle of a teenager doesn’t make you look young. You just look like a middle aged guy trying to hard.

Now I’ll go back to sitting on my porch yelling at the kids to get off my lawn.

• ClickClick5

It seems people who have money can [i<]afford[/i<] to not care.

• atari030

Absolutely. I know it’s not fair to say, but the hairstyle itself takes Joe from someone I’d normally take seriously to someone I’d prefer not to listen to or simply ignore.

Why? Well, how can you trust that someone is competent in other regards when they can’t even figure out a hairstyle that suits them after 40+ years?

• smilingcrow

The main reason I moved over to Apple was because of Steve Job’s excellent taste in polo necks. I don’t bother reading reviews or trying Betas of O/Ss but rely on my SUBJECTIVE opinion of how the companies’ spokespeople look.
        When I saw the video of Ballmer in a mankini promoting Windows 8 I knew I’d made the right choice with Apple.

• atari030

You should take note that I was solely speaking about Mr. Belfiore and made no mention of Windows 10 as a product.

However, if Mr. Belfiore were an operating system, I’d be leery of using him because he’s got a pretty terrible login screen.

• jihadjoe

I lol’d, but you gotta give credit to Jobs. He really did have a good sense for aesthetic and functionality, and it showed in Apple’s products when he was at the helm.

• sweatshopking

Thanks for this relevant post.

• curtisb

I’m pretty sure his hair is just a running gag now. He even poked fun at himself in the Windows 10 demo where Cortana brought up a reminder for him to get a haircut.

• TwistedKestrel

But did they reinstate floppy drive support yet?

Edit: Build 9926 does indeed have the floppy drivers back

• TwistedKestrel

Why’d that get downvoted? Build 9879 had the drivers for floppy drives removed

• Grigory

Don’t worry/care about the votes on this site. They usually do not make any sense. My post below went from +4 to -4 for no discernible reason. Some people will just vote you down because you posted something in the past that goes against their views. Think of it like this: Most people are idiots so if you get more up votes than down votes then mostly idiots are agreeing with you. Wear the down votes with pride. 🙂

• Grigory

Still doesn’t look as good as Windows 7.

• Yumi

sigh, you can thank that awful flat design trend for that.

Let the rage rant begin.

Welcome to the future, where everything has to be designed to look like it could run on a 486.

Your computer can show millions of colours, congratulations here’s 7 of them.

yes we know you have a 30″ screen, so we made sure to pick something awful like purple, mos green, orange and a weird shade of blue to cover big chunks of the screen with.
      In the few cases we did not pick an awful colour we have dull white, because we want you to know it’s bad colours or nothing, just like when your parents had to make you eat steamed broccoli.

Thank you for enjoying our insult to your eyes.

end rage rant.

• Ifalna

Haha yeah I remember when I first saw that “Installing apps” dialogue that cycles through highly saturated colors… I was saying “Microsoft?! Are you kidding me?” out loud ad my screen.

Thankfully you can make Win 8.1 look okay with Classic Shell. Still not digging the MS-Paint look on window borders, but I can work with it.

Though I would really like to know where this flat ultra minimalistic (to the point that you can’t even see interactive elements on Android right away… you have to tap the 3 dots for options! Really? Thought that was decor.. silly me) is coming from. Esp since our hardware gets more powerful each day, yet people seem obsessed with UIs taking up next to nothing.

• Yumi

I still remember the first time the metro start screen popped up on my monitor, that UI was clearly designed for a small screen that should “pop” when viewed, but it’s just blinding on a proper monitor.

Yeah, the flat look is the current design thing and I’m just waiting patiently for the next design wave.

• Laykun

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

By your argument our UI should look like this

[url<]http://www.nathalievachon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/home-love-4a-website.jpg[/url<]

• Ifalna

I’m sure there is a reasonable middle ground somewhere in between. 😉

• Yumi

That is one hideous painting.

There is a middle ground, and neither you nor MS seems to be able to find it.

• lilbuddhaman

Its a very clear trend looking at google(YT, Android, GApps, Chrome) , MS (metro, win8, xbl), Facebook, and all the smaller companies mimicking them that functionality has been sacrificed either to be intentionally misleading/difficult to navigate or for the benefit of aesthetics.

That along with the outright stripping virtually ALL customization and calling these hobbled things “apps”, makes for a desktop experience that feels like we’re regressing.

• finally

WOW! Reminders!

It’s been almost 25 years since computers have handled my calendar and reminders. I really don’t need any more assistance. Thanks a bunch.

Oooh, tab collapsing! Now I can see less!

And, oh look, instead of a personal assistant, I get a personal digital assistant — also know as not personal at all. Yay, I get to do things myself! How wonderful!

• ludi

Also, there are miscreant youths trampling down the blade-like leaves of your bluegrass crop.

• auxy

I’m totally with you here. Stop trying to help me! I don’t need any help! I can use the computer just fine already! ( ;∀;)

• rxc6

You know that nobody is forcing you to use. If you really can use the computer, then you can definitely avoid reminders altogether.

• sweatshopking

I hope they fixed the os bug that prevented my backlit keyboard from lighting up.

• [+Duracell-]

According to the blog, they did fix that bug!

• sweatshopking