Mechanical keyboard moonlights as upgradeable Android PC

Mechanical keyboards are everywhere these days, but none are quite like this one. Chinese vendor Acooo—bless you—has developed a oneBoard Pro+ keyboard that hides a fully functional Android system inside its stylish aluminum frame.

Source: Acooo

All the Android guts live on a removeable module that should enable DIY upgrades. The current revision is based on a Rockchip RK3288 SoC with quad ARM Cortex-A17 cores clocked up to 1.8GHz. A Mali-T764 GPU provides graphics grunt and fuels the HDMI output.

The SoC is backed by 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and an SDHC slot compatible with cards up to 32GB. There are multiple USB ports, and wireless options include 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0. If you don’t want to be confined to Android, the keyboard can also be used as an input device for a separate PC.

On the keyboard front, the oneBoard serves up a compact, notebook-style layout lined with Cherry MX black switches. The linear, heavily sprung switches are a curious choice given the popularity of other MX colors, but this is a curious product all around. Multi-colored backlighting is provided, as well, but there doesn’t appear to be any control over the color assigned to each key.

If you want to pick up this unusual beast for yourself, AliExpress is selling it for $299. Thanks to Geek for the tip.

• trackerben

When I got out of my time machine, people laughed when I told them that my half-sized QWERTY keyboard didn’t need a cable and had a droid in it. The 1990s were a barbaric age.

• kamikaziechameleon

very beautiful looking indeed. This on its lonesome w/o the android for that price would be an enticing proposition.

• oldog

Oh great. A Chinese made Android device monitoring my keystrokes.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Sorry for being paranoid, I just found out today that someone fradueltly filed a tax return with my SSN today. Sigh.

• UberGerbil

You know, if that’s what they want to do there are plenty of Chinese made keyboards that *don’t* advertise they have a processor inside… and yet the circuitry to log keystrokes takes so much less than that.

• oldog

I’m sure you’re right but that’s not very reassuring.

• Rectal Prolapse

This is like a 21st century Commodore 64, isn’t it?

Sweet. We’ve come full-circle on [url=http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=252<]keyboards that double as computers[/url<]. edit: OK I'm like the 8th person to make some variation of this comment. My bad

• UberGerbil

So this brings back a memory. My first computing job — while still in highschool — was writing games in 6502 assembler for the C-64. We had a bunch of guys and even more equipment crammed into a crappy little office in an old building with no AC so we had desk fans everywhere, blowing our tractor-feed dot-matrix listings around. We started having weird problems where the audio chip in the Commodores would occasionally stick “on” just playing a single tone until rebooted. We were sure it was was a bug but we couldn’t find a consistent triggering condition. We were pulling our hair out until one of the guys guessed the culprit was overheating: he pulled the cover off, set a desk fan to blow on the circuit board, and problem solved.

Keep in mind [i<]no[/i<] home computer at that time had active cooling. I'd never even seen a chipset fan. Several of the guys actually "borrowed" hairdryers from family members to keep around to solve this when necessary (in the "no heat" setting, obviously) .

That is awesome, because nobody else had really done it before.

What I had the most fun doing with my VIC 20 was glitching it out. I had 3 of the Scott Adams adventure games (Pirate’s Cove, Dracula, and Voodoo Castle) and I used to yank the cartridges mid-game and swap in a different one. Since they all used basically the same program with different data, you’d wind up in crazy scenarios, wind up in rooms you can’t get out of carrying things you shouldn’t be able to carry.

It’s also the machine where I learned Basic. By the time I was 12-13 years old I was programming simple games and then writing the code in a notebook because I didn’t have a cassette drive or a floppy disk drive, and no printer to just print it out. I had to retype the whole thing every time I played.

I was a sad and kind of dorky kid.

• willmore

*cough* 6510 assembly….

Edit:
        You had a C64 overheat? *highfive* Join the club!

I ‘solved’ mine by taking the 7812 regulator and moving it off the PCB and putting a nice heatsink on it. It was overheating the SID and bad things happened.

• UberGerbil

Sigh, I almost wrote 6510* but thought 6502 would be more widely understood, forgetting this is Tech Report where you can’t simplify or generalize without somebody popping up to push their glasses up their nose and correct every little detail.

* We had fun discovering all the undocumented opcodes in that variant of the 6502 (at the time, everybody thought it was little more than a second-source 6502 with an I/O bag hanging off it). We found the first one because we had this one guy who refused to use the official NOP instruction and started getting weird results, so we wrote a little program to run through all the supposed NOPs, checking the registers and flag bits for discrepancies. Unfortunately, I think only one of them actually did anything useful.

• willmore

+1 to you!

• Ethyriel

If someone made something like this that ran Chrome OS, had a built in KVM, was a proper tenkeyless, and had a choice of switches… I’d probably jump on it. Oh, and the SBC would need to be upgradeable.

• LoneWolf15

Needs to stream wirelessly to an HDMI input so you can have your HTPC on your lap.

• deathBOB

Why?

• Ari Atari

Why not?

• UberGerbil

[url=http://i.lvme.me/oozm79d.jpg<]Just in time for the next sequel[/url<]

• albundy

because there are no good comedy movies out, so this is very laughable at best!

• MarkG509

My problem with most Android devices is not having a physical keyboard. But, looks to me like they went a bit too far.

• MadManOriginal

My problem with most keyboards is not having a physical Android device. But, it looks to me like they went far enough.

• stdRaichu

Nine comments in and no-one has said “Yo dawg…” yet. What this keyboard really needs is a miniature keyboard inside that hooks up to the SoC so you can still use it when you’re using the main keyboard for other things.

• Anovoca

Oh look, someone found a way to make mechanical keyboards even more expensive.

• MadManOriginal

No video output? That would have made it far more interesting.

• Peter.Parker

On the product page (follow the link in the article) it shows that it has HDMI output.

• MadManOriginal

I see…DVI and HDMI. I viewed it on my phone, with no picture of the I/O, the text did not stand out enough.

• Shinare

Its my Commodore 64 back again!!!!

• Neutronbeam

Uh, no thanks. Came for the looks but left for the price.

EDIT: Changed “Come” to “Came” and “leave” to “left”…I’m having a tense situation.

• DPete27

The perfect companion to your [url=http://mouse-box.com/<]Android PC mouse[/url<]

• NTMBK

So what you’re saying is it’s basically an uglier ZX Spectrum?

• Peter.Parker

.. And we go full circle back to Commodore!

• UberGerbil

[url=http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/adverts_commodore/c128_bad_news_unknown_source.jpg<]Indeed![/url<]

• TheQat

Just needs a mouse nub in the middle . . .