GeForce 347.52 WHQL drivers are primed for Evolve

Nvidia has gotten into the habit of timing GeForce driver releases with major game launches, and today's is no different. The GeForce 347.52 WHQL drivers feature performance optimizations and an SLI profile for Evolve, the co-op sci-fi shooter by Left 4 Dead creators Turtle Rock Studios. Better performance and SLI support are also in store for a selection of other games.

In addition to Evolve, the 347.52 WHQL drivers increase performance in games like Assassin's Creed Unity, Battlefield 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Crew, and War Thunder, Nvidia says. The gains can be expected on a number of GeForce cards, including the latest GTX 960, 970, and 980. Judging by the numbers posted on the download page, frame-rate improvements range from 3% to 13% in certain cases.

Last, but not least, Nvidia has freshened up its roster of SLI profiles. Along with the new Evolve profile, here's what folks with multi-GPU GeForce setups can look forward to:

• Alone in the Dark: Illumination – Added SLI profile
  • Black Desert – Updated SLI profile
  • Dying Light – Updated SLI profile (previously released via GeForce Experience)
  • H1Z1 – Added SLI profile
  • Heroes of the Storm – Updated SLI profile
  • Saint's Row – Gat out of Hell – Added SLI profile
  • Total War: Attila – Added SLI profile
  • Triad Wars – Added SLI profile

You can grab the GeForce 347.52 WHQL drivers right here from GeForce.com—or, if you use Nvidia's GeForce Experience software, you can let it download the latest update automatically. (Thanks to TR reader SH SOTN for the heads up.)

• Wild Thing

[url<]http://www.sweclockers.com/image/diagram/9225?k=0f88c8d85e4dc301122518f4b5603c3f[/url<] [url<]http://www.sweclockers.com/image/diagram/9224?k=af69365ca53b58b54e8315881f66868a[/url<]

• puppetworx

Not what I’d expect from a NVidia partnered game, the frametimes even look a little worse.

• Wild Thing

Yup,R9X just bosses them both around.

• beck2448

AMD GPU Performance

There is a big difference currently in the gameplay experience between NVIDIA GPUs and AMD GPUs in Battlefield Hardline. This comes down to what we have tested as the frame times. For whatever reason AMD GPUs are doing very poorly in terms of frame time in this game. There are large peaks of longer periods of time between frames.

This translates into the game feeling choppy even though the frame rates are high on AMD GPUs. It affects every AMD GPU we tested, Radeon R9 290X, Radeon R9 290 and Radeon R9 285. It affects every map we played, the larger maps like Dust Bowl were the worst. This is a dramatic and devastating detriment to gameplay on AMD GPUs. As it is right now, NVIDIA GPUs simply offer smoother gameplay in Battlefield Hardline. yeah right.

• l33t-g4m3r

Yup, totally worth the price premium… :rolleyes:

• Klimax

Is that with new drivers?

• Wild Thing

Yes,Sweclockers used 347.52

• sweatshopking

evolve seems to have really mixed reviews

• l33t-g4m3r

Yeah. I’m not all that interested, considering what I’ve heard. Too many other games that do the same thing.

• puppetworx

I played few hours of the most recent beta and it was really fun. I was able to play as the monster a lot, apparently not many people favour that character. It’s very satisfying to kill all four hunters. Everything seemed a lot tighter and more polished than the previous beta, the customizable loadouts and monster evolutions have hit a really nice balance I think.

That said, I don’t have time to get sucked into this game right now. they’ve also gone the Battlefield route for DLC and that makes me pretty krogoth’d. I’ll probably pick it up in the summer of end of the year.

• LoneWolf15

Be really nice to know if they’ve fixed the OpenCL/OpenMM issues so Folding@home on Maxwell can actually do Core18 projects at full speed. Issue has been known since March of 2014, as I understand it, still haven’t seen any traction.

EDIT: Cyril, could you or someone ask someone at TR ask nVidia about this issue? For reference:

[url<]https://folding.stanford.edu/home/11093/[/url<] [url<]https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27208&sid=d9867a84fa0d290ef13fa84751d335b5[/url<]

• geekl33tgamer

Meanwhile, at AMD, there’s no driver support for Crossfire or optimizations in Dying Light, H1Z1 and Evolve to name a few recent titles.

Love my R9 290X’s – I really do – But the lack of game support, often many months after release is starting to irritate me. The last release (14.12) was just over 2 months ago, and the release before that was 14.4 way back in April 2014 (and yes, there was 14.9 and 14.11 beta’s, but they have a lot of problems with stability).

AMD were getting better at this for a while, but perhaps it’s back to the same old ways???

• Philldoe

IIRC there was a 14.9 stable release. I’m still using them as I had some AA issues with 3 of my games on the 14.12’s. I’ve made my own Profile for Evolve using the base Crysis 3 profile. Everything works fine for me.

• geekl33tgamer

I tried those custom profiles in the driver to force crossfire into AFR on Dying Light, but it’s having none of it. It still only uses one card.

My bad, there was a 14.9 WHQL – That may have been the driver that broke Eyefinity support as my DVI connected monitors were not detected. I was stuck using 14.4 until the 14.12’s seeming fixed whatever was wrong on the in-between releases.

At the end of the day though, unless it’s me – There does seem to be less issues with the Nvidia cards when it comes to game support?

• Philldoe

You may need to try out the various Crossfire Modes. For instance, MWO does not play nice with AFR, but it works great with a 1×1 Optimized setting. nVidia does seem to have slightly better Multi-GPU support with certain Game Engines like CryEngine, but overall I have less problems in other areas with my AMD cards. It’s at the point now(again) that you buy a card based on what games you intend to play.

My main rig with AMD Cards is perfectly stable in games, but my nVidia based computer always has a lot of little glitches with CryEngine games. Nothing big, just small stuff. For instance, MWO had issues with No HUDs, Grey Screens, Black Screen on Alt-Tab, Yellow Screen on load. All of my friends with nvidia cards had these issues, but the 3 of us with AMD cards never had these issues. However, we did have some Frame Pacing issues with our Multi GPU setups.

• geekl33tgamer

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I made the issue sound worse than it is, as I have many games that do work just fine. It just seems that I never need to actually change or force anything on my HTPC that has a GTX 750Ti in it, compared to the extra effort that is sometimes needed on my R9 290X’s in the main PC.

Then again, maybe the same wouldn’t be so rosy for Nvidia if I could actually SLI some 750’s. Got room for a 2nd, but there’s no SLI connector on my one at least…

• Philldoe

Multi-GPU setups are a hassle. I have no idea how much better or worse it is on nvidia rigs. I remember my first Crossfire Rig… It was a pain most of the time, but Crossfire did have some really big advantages for multi monitor users and those who wanted to turn off Crossfire/SLI for certain games. nVidia users had a lot of crap to go through way back then.

I doubt it’s really any better for the green team than for us AMD users, the issues are just of a different kind.

• ColeLT1

The Nvidia SLI issues I have had were flickering door textures (look like bad-movie flashing florescent lights) on GTA IV and water surface texture issues in Oblivion. That was on a 9800gx2, a water boiling monster that I picked up used. Gameplay was always smooth, never was aware of any microstudder.

SLI GTX460 and GTX670, I never had any issues and I play a lot of games. I prefer to not run SLI if possible, but the times I have, I have not regretted. Have a GTX970 (EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR) coming in tomorrow, a friend needed a card quick so I sold him my black-friday GTX780 for $250.

• l33t-g4m3r

Crossfire? What, what, Butt, Power use and HTPC’s!

What you really need is Titan SLI with a NUC. Because that makes sense….

• geekl33tgamer

Love you man… 😉 +1 Remember what happened last time we went here? xD

• Prestige Worldwide

[quote<]In addition to Evolve, the 347.52 WHQL drivers increase performance in games like Assassin's Creed Unity, Battlefield 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Crew, and War Thunder, Nvidia says.[/quote<] I don't see any mention of BF4 anywhere in their release notes. [url<]http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/347.52/347.52-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf[/url<] Either that or I REALLY suck at Ctrl + F. edit: I also suck at quote tags

• MrDweezil

Its shown in the graphs here: [url<]http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-347-52-whql-driver-released[/url<] Doesn't look like a significant improvement.

• Prestige Worldwide

Aha! There it is! Thank you.